German Czech's

I'm trying to see how viable would a timeline be for the Czech/Boehimian people to adopt German or a seperated Germanic language. Anyone got some viable ideas or research areas would be helpful.
E.N

well, for starters i think we should go back and stop them gaining their own kingdom, instead staying a duchy just as the other old regions such as Swabia, Bavaria and Saxony.

Them not being a kingdom might make the kings less independent-minded, and open for it protentially being splintered into smaller parts such as how Swabia was.

Perkeo

Banned
Let one of the Bohemian emperors unite the HRE and make Prague the permanent capital of Germany. The rulers won't want to separate themselves from the ruled.

I'm trying to see how viable would a timeline be for the Czech/Boehimian people to adopt German or a seperated Germanic language. Anyone got some viable ideas or research areas would be helpful.
E.N

When you consider that even as small a people as the Lusatian Sorbs have to some extent retained their own language(s) you can see how hard it would be to totally Germanize the Czechs linguistically.

Of course there's the "Hitler wins the war and assimilates some of the Czechs and kills the others'' scenario, but that would belong to the post-1900 POD section.

Last edited:

GdwnsnHo

Banned
The easiest solution would be to pull a Rome.

Have whosoever controls bohemia from a German base of power forcibly settle czech serfs to the four corners of Germany, and put German settlers in their place.

Having no strong bohemian authority would be key though. A partition with Poland would work, or an outright German conquest.

Another way would be to use the Czechs as meat in a war with Poland over Silesia, and colonise both areas with Germans.

All of which are deeply unfair to the Czechs, but displacing a population tends to be unfair.