England known as Englerik

What if in Old English, the suffix '-rice' had become the standard for countries which were by the mid eleventh century, 'United' kingdoms. So if England had been called 'Englarice rather than Englaland, France, Frankenarike, Scotland, Scotrike or something like that. So have the rik suffice persist for countries which were in the eleventh century at least nominally unified. Have those names evolve into modern English as Englerik, Frankrik and Scotrik.
Have the word rik itself survive into modern English and be our standard word for country/nation state?
If so, have the world land also be a suffix on other countries but in itself have a looser meaning akin to anything from a province to a continent. Eg: have the land suffix Fo on Europe and Asia and have the English speaking lands be known as the Engleland(s)
Also with the world Engle intact in Modern English, could it be the standard word for an Englishman?
Also, what would the words for England be in other European languages?
In this scenario, the Norman Conquest still happens?

Last edited:
Frankrik wouldn't be that strange, after all IOTL their continental West Germanic cousins use Frankreich (German), Frankrijk (Dutch) (in English France), Österreich (German) and Oostenrijk (Dutch) (in English Austria), however neither of them uses it for countries in general, just look at (Germany) Deutschland (German) and Duitsland (Dutch) (in English Germany).

In the Scandinavian languages Sverige (Sweden) follows the same configuation (Svea Rige = Realm of the Svea), and depending on who you ask Norge/Noreg (Norway) might either come from the same (Norrige = Realm of the North), or from Nor(d)-(v)eg (= Northern route)

In the Scandinavian languages Sverige (Sweden) follows the same configuation (Svea Rige = Realm of the Svea), and depending on who you ask Norge/Noreg (Norway) might either come from the same (Norrige = Realm of the North), or from Nor(d)-(v)eg (= Northern route)

I would say Nordveg makes more sense, given that it's Noorwegen (norse roads/routes) in Dutch, Norwegen in German. It's possible the west-germanics screwed the whole thing up, but given that Nordreich or Noor(d)rijk would be perfectly fine words for a country too...

Of course, I suspect the end result is never gonna be all countries called something-rik in English, given it never worked like that in Dutch/German/North Germanic, but it's not impossible I suppose.

yeah because nation names are always etymologicly correctly translated.

Not that i disargee that its probably the most likely, but your reasoning for it is quite weak