Non US designed Aircraft in servive with the USAF/USN/USMC

Pangur

Donor
ASAIK very few non US designed aircraft saw service with the US military post ww2 - the Canberra being one notable exception. What other aircraft - would have being useful and if accepted that OTL aircraft would have not seen service?

Possibly the CF-105 Arrow with a more developed radar/missile system would be superior to SAGE enabled F-106 Delta dagger. But the USAF and congresscritters would pitch a fit.

sharlin

Banned
In reality you'd need a different industrial/military complex to be willing to take anything but home grown designs for the USA. Building another nations aircraft saves money yes but that means less jobs etc and less funding for senators who need cash.

Pangur

Donor
In reality you'd need a different industrial/military complex to be willing to take anything but home grown designs for the USA. Building another nations aircraft saves money yes but that means less jobs etc and less funding for senators who need cash.

Point taken which is why the OP talks about design and not built.

sharlin

Banned
True but even then you're not paying a firm to design aircraft, probably one of the most expensive parts of it and this cuts into a firms profits.

Riain

Banned
The US does build a lot of good, cutting-edge stuff, that's the biggest hurdle I'd see.

Perhaps a "Britain does well" TL that has Britain with jets earlier and not in a position whereby they don't hand the idea to the US because of an invasion threat. As a result Britain has a world lead in jet engines which it holds tightly and forces the US to buy British in the 50s or be left behind the state of the art.

Pangur

Donor
The US does build a lot of good, cutting-edge stuff, that's the biggest hurdle I'd see.

Perhaps a "Britain does well" TL that has Britain with jets earlier and not in a position whereby they don't hand the idea to the US because of an invasion threat. As a result Britain has a world lead in jet engines which it holds tightly and forces the US to buy British in the 50s or be left behind the state of the art.

That's one way in right enough however I was wondering more along the lines of specific aircraft - e.g would the EE Lighting been a better pick for air defense than x or y aircraft

Riain

Banned
I'd like to see the USN use the Westland Wasp instead of the DASH on warships from the early 60s.

OTL

Currently the US military has these foreign designed aircraft in service
Airforce

• 2 C-144 (CN-235-100M) Spain
  • 14 C-146A (Dornier 328) Germany
  • 20 Diamond T-52 (Diamond DA40) Canada
  • 19 Pilatus U-28 (Pilatus PC-12) Switzerland
  • 10 PZL C-145 Skytruck (PZL M28) Poland
  • 3 de Havilland Canada UV-18 (DHC-6 Twin Otter) Canada
Army

• 2 C-31 Troopship (Fokker F-27 Friendship) Netherlands
  • 5 EO-5 (De Havilland Canada Dash 7) Canada
  • 6 DHC-6 Twin Otter Canada
Coast Guard

• 18 HC-144 Ocean Sentry Spain
  • 101 HH-65 Dolphin France
If you count drones add

• 20 RQ-5 Hunter Israel
  • 15 CQ 10 Snowgoose Canada

Pangur

Donor
OTL

Currently the US military has these foreign designed aircraft in service
Airforce

• 2 C-144 (CN-235-100M) Spain
  • 14 C-146A (Dornier 328) Germany
  • 20 Diamond T-52 (Diamond DA40) Canada
  • 19 Pilatus U-28 (Pilatus PC-12) Switzerland
  • 10 PZL C-145 Skytruck (PZL M28) Poland
  • 3 de Havilland Canada UV-18 (DHC-6 Twin Otter) Canada
Army

• 2 C-31 Troopship (Fokker F-27 Friendship) Netherlands
  • 5 EO-5 (De Havilland Canada Dash 7) Canada
  • 6 DHC-6 Twin Otter Canada
Coast Guard

• 18 HC-144 Ocean Sentry Spain
  • 101 HH-65 Dolphin France
If you count drones add

• 20 RQ-5 Hunter Israel
  • 15 CQ 10 Snowgoose Canada

Well now! Talk about standing corrected:D Small numbers of each but a far longer list than I would have expected. One things which stands out is that they seem to be niche aircraft

Well now! Talk about standing corrected:D Small numbers of each but a far longer list than I would have expected. One things which stands out is that they seem to be niche aircraft
This also does not count jointly developed aircraft such as the AV-8B (99 +19 trainers), the TH-67(172), UH-72 (250 + 95 more planned), C-27(7), E-11A(4), E-9A(2) or undesignated foreign aircraft

sharlin

Banned
i'd not say that its that significant really. Save the helos its barely 60 odd aircraft and its small numbers, 3 here 6 there.

This also does not count jointly developed aircraft such as the AV-8B (99 +19 trainers), the TH-67(172), UH-72 (250 + 95 more planned), C-27(7), E-11A(4), E-9A(2) or undesignated foreign aircraft

I think that there's also a couple of MiG-29's and Su-27's as well that they use for adversary training. Not to mention the flying saucer they've got in Area 51, though that's not strictly designed another nation. :)

sharlin

Banned
But what we're talking about here is the USAF building and using aircraft from abroad like they used the F-16 or Delta series right?