Tabletop gaming POD: Different fate of Mensch ärgere Dich nicht

Mensch ärgere Dich nicht is a famous German (and by extension, Continental European) cross and circle tabletop game, somewhat similar to the British Ludo, or the original Indian Pachisi, etc.

It was created in 1907/1908 by Josef Friedrich Schmidt of the now-legendary German tabletop publisher Schmidt Spiele. The game achieved unprecedented success when it became popular in 1914 among (mostly) German troops and sold in the millions during and after the war as well.

What if this type of game was not created ? Would we all be playing Ludo or other forms of cross and circle games nowadays ?

Would the game ever have taken off if it wasn't for the opportune timing (the beginning of World War I) and the fact that it proved popular among Central Powers troops ?

On a sidenote: Any cross and circle games PODs you can think of ? A 20th century timeframe is enough.

Well Ludo came out in 1896, so outside the time, and I do think it was sort of inevitable, given how many variants sprang up around the place.

Well Ludo came out in 1896, so outside the time, and I do think it was sort of inevitable, given how many variants sprang up around the place.

That's why I figured Pachisi-style games would be in fashion in the ATL 20th century as well. Maybe not as much as in OTL, but they're simple to produce, as well as pick up and play. That simplicity allows for them to be quite universal and easy to appear in huge numbers.