TLIAD: Zonen

zonen___title_by_lordroem-d86m2a2.jpg

Title graphic by Lord Roem

Look, I know you're struggling to move on from Lavender, but I have to say this doesn’t seem like a winning idea.

Goddag.

I mean, it’s looking a bit like you’re trying too hard to be differen... wait, what?

Hej.

Why are you talking like that?

Jeg er lige kommet tilbage fra Danmark.

What? Why?

Jeg er dansk.

Oh, you’re Danish. I forgot about that.

Hvordan? Er du ikke mig?

No, I’m not you, I’m your internal mono- Look. Just tell me what this is about.

En timeline uden mange ændringer i fremtiden.

A timeline without many changes in the long term? How the hell will that be interesting?

Måske vil det ikke være interessant...

Oh, no, I didn’t mean to suggest that… well, I did.

Er vi venner?

No. We’re not friends.

Er vi ikke?

No!

Bedste venner?

NEJ!

Ha! Now you’re speaking Danish. I can do the whole timeline in English now.

For helvede.

Our story begins in (drumroll please) 1945...

7Y3DDVk.png

Last edited:
I see the Schleswig-Holstein question is going to be resolved pretty handily...

It's probably going to be in the first update, but what justifies Denmark getting an occupation zone?

It's Started.

Delighted to see this up and running Tom, me old mucker. I'm also pleased at how well the title slide worked out, which talented person* did you commission to do it?

*I'm sure a whore for my public

Well, I suppose that will remove the Speckdänen issue. Although it does mean than Denmark has to feed Schleswig-Holstein and Hamburg.

Looks like the UK will being giving an economic boost to Emden.

xcAARMK.png

My boarding pass falls out of my bag as I pass a motorcycle and sidecar in a glass case. I utter hasty apologies, mumbling something about a ‘rapid turnaround’. In fairness, less than eight hours ago I was at King’s Place. My guide, a man of chequered shirts and white facial hair, simply smiles and returns to the tour.

"What a lot of people forget is that this was initially part of the British Zone," Hans Jøllberg is saying as he takes me around look around the small Danskezonen Museet in Flensburg. The museum's curator speaks perfect English, and his accent sounds Danish. He tells me, however, that he was born here, in Germany. Or, as it was then, the Danskezone - the Danish Zone.

In the ashes of Nazi Germany, the former Third Reich was temporarily carved up between the ‘big three’ powers and France (apologies to French readers). In the East, of course, the Soviet Union was in charge. In the West, the occupation was divided between the three Allied powers. The United States Army and General Eisenhower occupied the bulk of the south of the country, while de Tassigny of France took over the regions bordering the Fourth Republic. British forces, under Montgomery, maintained administrative order in the north of the country.

"In the summer of 1946, however,” Hans says, “political developments in your own country, in London, meant that the British commitment to the occupation had to be scaled back."

The 'political developments' had far more impact in northern Germany than they eventually did in their own right. The situation in Palestine had 'blown up' rather substantially, and the Attlee government faced demands to bolster the British troop presence in the mandate. As British soldiers struggled to come to terms with why they were now being shot at by the same people they had liberated from concentration camps one year earlier (from their perspective, at least), Eisenhower, Montgomery and de Tassigny had a difficult question to broach.

"They met here, in Flensburg, to discuss what to do."

Jøllberg points out a large pinboard, covered in photographs of the Flensburg Conference. Danish documents - of which there are many - style it as Flensborg. While the military leaders were technically in charge, real power obviously lay with the civilian politicians in the respective countries. Truman, struggling with Congress over the role America ought to take in the new Europe, was unable to attend. Nor was Secretary of State James F. Byrnes, leading to some accusations the meeting was being snubbed. Luckily, Dean Acheson, Byrnes' deputy, was on-hand to deliver the famously blunt message from Truman: ‘not a single soldier more.’

The French were overstretched already, though it was a suggestion from their delegation that set the ball rolling toward the eventual solution. At the end of 1945, a small Luxembourgish zone of occupation had been set up in the French zone. The zone was far smaller than that which would be required if Britain had to withdraw substantially, but it nevertheless provided an example of something that could work. All Britain needed was a nearby state that had not suffered as much as some of its neighbours during the war. One that still had the majority of its pre-war young adult male population ready for conscription, or already doing national service. A nation, perhaps, that was already well underway with equipping its post-war army with plentiful British equipment.

“You can see Attlee’s brow - very furrowed - in this photograph,” says Hans, “I like to think he has just determined what he is going to do. This creates a wonderful sense of narrative when one looks at the next photograph.”

Jøllberg gestures to the picture immediately to the right. It is of four men stood in front of Flensburg town hall. They are Clement Attlee, Dean Acheson, Bernard Montgomery, and Knud Kristensen.​

Last edited:
Hmmmm....very interesting. I've wanted to learn more about the OTL Danish occupation force/Danish Brigade in Germany ever since stumbling across their existence while researching the evolution of the occupation zones (see maps and some info here). In particular I have always been curious as to whether or not they (and the Norwegians) were given operational autonomy and defined sectors like the Canadians, Luxembourgers and Belgians in OTL.

By any chance Meadow do you happen to have the answers?:D where the Danish (and Norwegian) occupation brigades were based in OTL (any links and maps would be greatly appreciated :D:D)

I'm also looking forward to seeing how Denmark managed to get a zone for itself as opposed to a sector within a zone like what happened with most of the Allies outside of the Big 4 (save Poland which really got an annexation zone like the Dutch did but on a much larger scale rather than an occupation zone)...

A Timeline In A Dane

This is going to have to be very good to get me to forgive you for that pun.

On a serious note, this looks very interesting - a different take on the TLIAD format, and a very different subject to boot. I await with bated breath!

This is going to have to be very good to get me to forgive you for that pun.

On a serious note, this looks very interesting - a different take on the TLIAD format, and a very different subject to boot. I await with bated breath!

I actually confess that that was me...you can blame Meadow for not vetoing it.

:eek:

Tom, in the words of the great Shakin' Stevens, this is 'lovely stuff' - the way that you've taken a very minor aspect alternate history to create something that is - basically - just a bit of fun, it great and really fits the TLIAD formula, it doesn't have to be epic in scale - just a fun little side-story that is so much fun to read.

Cannay wait to read more!

I had no idea that countries apart from the UK, US, France and the USSR were involved in the occupation of Germany.

I'm certain it will be revealed but I'm curious as to what country the Danskezone is apart of the text seems to imply an autonomous part of a united (or at least western) Germany.

Thande

Donor
I had no idea that countries apart from the UK, US, France and the USSR were involved in the occupation of Germany.

I'm certain it will be revealed but I'm curious as to what country the Danskezone is apart of the text seems to imply an autonomous part of a united (or at least western) Germany.

I reckon it's one of those "subtle difference" setups where the Danskezone went back to West Germany just like the other occupation zones, but there's a continued presence of Danish forces that has had longterm cultural effects on both Denmark and that part of Germany--not unlike with the BAOR, but much stronger given there is a land border involved.

qdt2sIW.jpg

Were it not for his cane, you’d have no idea that Mogens Nielsen was a day over 65. In fact, the ruddy-faced former farmhand turned 90 a day ago.

“Would you like some layer cake? We have a lot left,” his wife - only two years his junior, but as busy as a bee - calls from the kitchen. I decline. I don’t consider myself a culinary reactionary, but there’s off-putting something about all that cream. I will take her up on her offer of a coffee, however - in the last two days, I have learned the Danes know how to make a very decent cup of the stuff. Cafetieres seem to be issued by the state to all citizens at birth.

Since saying goodbye to Hans Jøllberg, I’ve traveled up, across the German-Danish border and into Jutland. My journey was to begin a series of interviews in Denmark itself, the first of which is with Kpl. Nielsen, who was part of the 9th Infantry Regiment, one of the first units that took command in the Danskezone in October 1946. Like anyone else in northern Europe, my transport of choice for this distance is rail.

After marvelling at the surprisingly wide train carriage for slightly too long, I took a look at the famously flat countryside I was rolling through. The pennines it ain’t - no wonder the German tanks overpowered Denmark in less than two hours.

“Some of us were veterans of that day,” says Mogens when I - more delicately than above - bring this up, “but most of us had been working on farms, or in the Resistance.”

Was the Resistance a full time job, then? Images of the Danish King wearing a Jewish armband - sadly apocryphal - are more in-keeping with the usual picture of Danish wartime resistance. Certainly more than Sten guns and blown-up railway lines.

“Yes, yes,” Mogens says firmly, his English accented but clear, “my brother left home in 1942 and I did not see him again until 1945. I later learned he had only been living a few miles away, but in total secrecy. My sister’s young husband was killed by the Gestapo.”

Brave men. How many formed part of your unit?

“Not as many as you would expect. I think they were wary of putting armed young men, out for revenge, among the German population.”

That didn’t stop veterans of Normandy and Market Garden being trusted with the care of German civilians. Was this an example of anti-Danish prejudice from the British government?

“No, no. It was the Danish government that made the decision. And what those British boys did was war - they shot at Germans, the Germans shot back. Here in Denmark, we experienced something different. I do not say worse - but it was different. Summary executions, torture of civilians… it hardens the heart in a different way to combat.”

I’m left speechless for a few moments, but luckily Mogens has more to say.

“Many of us were farmhands. I had not been allowed to join the Resistance by my family, so I joined the army the moment the war ended. We were trained and equipped with British uniforms and weapons. I understand there was an expansion once the Flensborg Decision was taken.”

He is correct. The Kristensen government was determined to show that Danes could do their bit for the new Europe, but was daunted by the size of Schleswig-Holstein (‘Danskezonen’). A rapid expansion of National Service was expected to lead to unrest - surprisingly, it did not.

“I think many had decided to show the world that we could be better than the Germans. To march into a defeated nation only a year after that nation marched out of yours… some could have taken it as a chance to wield strength and power. Most saw it as a duty. We took over at the end of October, in ’46. I was stationed in Kiel, which was to be the administrative capital.”

Mogens stops talking for a few minutes at this point. He is not physically tired, but he says his mind needs a rest. A glance from his wife tells me all I need to know. I relent to the offer of cake - and I was a fool ever to question the amount of cream - and we munch, happy and in silence.

Eventually, I try to restart the conversation by pointing out Mogens’ medal on the wall.

“Everyone got one,” he says quickly, slurping his coffee. He is right, but I want to hear more. What did he actually do in Kiel?

“I spent a year as a… road-patroller. It does not translate exactly. You understand?”

I do.

“After that, someone told an officer that I had run my family’s farm when my father took ill during the war. With my brother away in hiding, I had to. My mother, of course, did most of the work. But I had to learn how to keep books.”

And this led to a new job?

“I assisted my unit’s quartermaster, who also had to adjudicate disputes between local bakers, grocers and so on. Sometimes the Germans would argue over the food shipments. Danish and American food parcels arrived quite regularly. The Germans all said the American ones were better, but officially they were all the same. We did not notice if one baker got more American packages than another, as long as everyone got the same weight of flour it was all the same to us. They did not agree, and sometimes fights broke out. I remember a few of my comrades got very angry at the… ‘implication’ that Danish food was somehow unfit for these greedy Germans.”

I nod, having read of this phenomenon in my preliminary research. American food packages, and raw materials, had been negotiated with Acheson in return for a commitment to rearm Denmark from the British exchequer. It meant the Liberals in Copenhagen were able to focus on the occupation force - though it should not be overstated. At no point did the amount of Danish (or Schleswig-Holstein) produced food in the Zone decrease below 40%, even in the winter of 1946-47.

“I was a man who filled out forms. It was not exciting,” Mogens laughs, the first time I have seen him smile, “I am not my brother - he sabotaged the Luftwaffe’s aircraft, you know. Were he still with us, I would send you to him. I do not understand why you are so interested.”

I offer my condolences about his brother - Jens Nielsen passed away, a retired director of a freight company, six years ago - and explain why I’m here.

“I know that, I know that,” he says, “but is there an anniversary? I do not see why this newspaper would be so interested now.”

I can tell Mogens is getting a little tired. I ask him a few more questions - and hear a wonderful story about six Danish soldiers forming a theatre group for children, and one day being called to an emergency drill in full H.C. Andersen costumes. Then, it is time for me to go.

I thank Mogens' wife for the coffee and cake, and shake Mogens’ hand before I leave. On the walk to the station, I replay our conversation in my mind. One thing he said stays with me more than everything else - occupation does not have to be like war.​

Last edited:
Fantastic - I like how you are able to make something as mundane as a conversation over coffee into such a fascinating snapshot of another - very slightly different - world.

Weaker alternate history writers would have gone with something silly or outlandish, the fact that you have managed to do such a wonderful 'aside' whilst all this is going on is quite frankly wonderful!

Keep it up!

I'm loving this, particularly the shift from the traditional 'PMs-list-but-bigger-n-better' format.