AHC: Make Baseball popular in Europe

Germaniac

Donor
Baseball is America's pastime, as american as apple pie and the Beach Boys, but apart from Japan it is relatively unpopular across the world.

Baseball in Japan really took off in the twenties, so my challenge to you is with a POD somewhere around 1910 make baseball at least the second favorite sport of Europe (to much to ask to surpass soccer, yes I'm american don't attack that)

Baseball is popular in Finland, it has been among the three or four most popular team sports here since the 1920s.

The thing is, though, that this is not American baseball, but Finnish baseball that was created as a separate sport by one Lauri Pihkala after WWI, based on American baseball but also traditional Finnish ball games. Being somewhat acquainted with Finnish baseball (we all play it at school, and I was for a long time a loyal supporter of a local top division team), I consider the Finnish version superior to the original because the process of pitching and hitting a ball follows a different pattern and allows more tactical options for both sides, especially the one that is "in" and thus IMO makes the game more interesting.

The reason Pihkala introduced the game to Finland was explicitly to improve the physical condition of the Finnish youth (both men and women, the women's pesäpallo leagues have always been some of the most prestigious and well-attended women's team sports in Finland) - and to improve the military skills of the men, such as running, upper body strength and throwing hand granades. Pihkala was a nationalist and a member of the Civil Guard (conservative volunteer militia) movement, and through his influence, sports and physical exercise became an important feature of the Civil Guards training in the interwar period and also allowed pesäpallo to spread and grow as a sport.

To apply this to other European nations: perhaps in Britain and France similar figures as Pihkala introduce baseball as a sport to improve the condition of the young people - and also military skills. Perhaps use such organisations as the scout movement and popularise the sport through there. In Germany, have the NSDAP adopt the sport, too, with overt connotations to do with military prowess.

If the sport manages to catch on in the 20s, then we could see international competitions in the 30s that would raise the sport's prestige in Europe. Having it as a exhibition sport at the 1928 Olympics could lead to it becoming official Olympic sport by 1936 - and, say, seeing a US vs. Nazi Germany baseball final (where the Germans would hold their own by finally fall to the American side) at the Berlin Olympics might give the sport a real boost in Europe.

During and after the war, have the presence of US troops in Europe bolster the growth of the sport, with, say, exhibition events between US military teams in occupied Germany, where to the chagrin of US commanders, the bloody locals might often beat the American teams due to (by now) a significant local baseball tradition. The chance to actually win the Americans time to time would help the sport to grow also here, not only confining it mainly to the US expat community - leading to a baseball Bundesliga founded in Western Germany in the 50s (like IOTL) and becoming a popular fixture of German sports in the 60s (unlike IOTL). Allow similar development in other bigger and smaller Western European nations, especially within NATO, and by the late 1950s you could have quite lively Baseball World Cups. Finally by the 1960s or 1970s, also other nations beside the US could realistically expect to win the Cup.

If, through the Scout movement, say, the sport was also brought to Eastern Europe in the 20s and 30s, say in Poland and Czechoslovakia, baseball might survive there also after the war, though Moscow and the Communist officials might take it into their sights as "Western, bourgeois influence". And so as baseball grows in Western Europe, in the Communist bloc it would be seen as a form of rebellion to have posters of American, Western German or British baseball stars and secretly playing games when the officials are not looking.:D After the USSR falls, then the former Communist bloc countries would flock to set up baseball teams to join "the West", considered something that would be part and parcel with going to NATO...

To apply this to other European nations: perhaps in Britain and France similar figures as Pihkala introduce baseball as a sport to improve the condition of the young people - and also military skills.

The major problem with getting baseball into the UK is that this niche is already filled. Cricket reigns supreme, and as it is a ball and bat game, it is close enough to baseball that anyone interested in that sort of thing would simply gravitate to what is already there.

In terms of more physical sports to improve the condition of the people, the lower classes had Association Football and Rugby League, and the upper classes and the Welsh had Rugby Union. So again, there simply isn't a niche for it.

Baseball is America's pastime, as american as apple pie and the Beach Boys, but apart from Japan it is relatively unpopular across the world.

Baseball in Japan really took off in the twenties, so my challenge to you is with a POD somewhere around 1910 make baseball at least the second favorite sport of Europe (to much to ask to surpass soccer, yes I'm american don't attack that)

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/06/01/lords.museum.baseball.cricket/

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_pie

Aside from that, 1910 is far too late. For Britain anyway. Cricket was already ridiculously popular, and rounders (which is the game baseball is from) was and is played by either small children or girls. So there would be a certain stigma to grown men playing a childs/girls game.

Baseball seems moderately popular in the Netherlands. So somehow increase interest in it?

The problem I see is that you'd need to increase American cultural spread much earlier than otl. So stop isolationism and get involved in europe, perhaps helping the smaller nations. If you get baseball there before football takes root then it may have a chance.

I'd say 1910 might still be too late. Football, Rugby etc etc were all fairly established by that point. If you go way back to 1755 and have that sport become popular in England, then it has a good chance of spreading, like Football and Rugby did or even cricket.

The major problem with getting baseball into the UK is that this niche is already filled. Cricket reigns supreme, and as it is a ball and bat game, it is close enough to baseball that anyone interested in that sort of thing would simply gravitate to what is already there.

In terms of Britain, you are probably right. Maybe the plan I outlined would much rather work on the continent, what with no cricket there to act as a buffer against the spread of baseball.

We shouldn't forget one of the reasons baseball exploded in popularity in the US. It was a sport that was "married" to radio as each play can be described as a set of one-dimensional moves that are easily envisioned by any listener familiar with the game. People can work or drive while listening to the sport in the background. I'm not sure this cultural niche fits as well in Europe.

We shouldn't forget one of the reasons baseball exploded in popularity in the US. It was a sport that was "married" to radio as each play can be described as a set of one-dimensional moves that are easily envisioned by any listener familiar with the game. People can work or drive while listening to the sport in the background. I'm not sure this cultural niche fits as well in Europe.

Soccer was popular on the radio in the UK as well. The Radio Times would publish grids of the pitch that would be refered to in the commentry to describe the play:

_1760579_square_pitch.jpg

Cheers,
Nigel.

cat_tn20110324_principal.jpg

It is wrong, in addition to Japan, Baseball is popular in several countries of Latin America. At present the main efforts (MLB) are directed towards Latin America.
Major League Baseball found in Latin American lands a gold mine, full of talent for their teams. Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Panama and Venezuela, especially, have increasingly adopted as part of their culture.
"One of my priorities is to make baseball international," Bud Selig, Commissioner of major league baseball.
It is a reality that the major leagues have found in Latin American lands a gold mine, full of talent that ensures many years of success in his upcoming seasons.
This game has spread rapidly around the world and has rooted in particular in Latin America. Countries that have particularly adopted it as a growing part of their culture include Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Panama and Venezuela.
Currently, a ball and a bat make it compete with popular football, encouraging the boys, where it is normal that its stars of the greatest earn millions of dollars with bat and manage.
For this reason it is not surprise that his intention is to continue extending and expanding the interest of fans for this sport around the world, to continue to find talent that enrich his show.
"One of my priorities is to make baseball international," said in April 2010, Bud Selig, Commissioner of major league baseball. "We will do everything possible to boost the sport towards the international arena. I think that it will be absolutely spectacular".
Statements are not so wacky unveiled last season, 4.6% of all minor-league players were natives of countries outside the United States, and of this 80% came from two countries: the Dominican Republic and Venezuela, according to ESPN.com.
This continuous growth since the admission of Jackie Robinson in the Dodgers of Los Angeles in 1947, being the first African American to play in major league baseball, which meant an open door for Latino of black origin players. Since then attempted to bring the "big tent" to Hispanics across the continent.
One of the tactics for popularizing this sport is to make parties outside its borders, leading to these countries the current stars to attract more fans.

To me, baseball always had the aura of being a gentlemen's sport, and I would really like to see it become more popular here in Europe.

"In terms of Britain, you are probably right. Maybe the plan I outlined would much rather work on the continent, what with no cricket there to act as a buffer against the spread of baseball."

I challenge the assumption that baseball could not be popular (not a major sport, but popular) in England because of cricket. Cricket is the national sport in Australia but baseball has always been a popular, albeit not a major, sport in Australia. In the 50s-80s many Australian international cricketers played some domestic baseball as well as it was great training for fielding - Richie Benaud, Alan Border and the Chappell brothers all played club-level baseball while being cricketing greats. Apparently AB (all time Aussie icon and one man team for most of the 80s) claimed that he was a better baseballer than he was a cricketer. Full time professionalism means that this doesn't happen these days, but Australian baseball has long had a reasonable domestic competition, there are always quite a few Aussies on Major League Baseball and feeder club rosters and we typically are competitive at the Olympics.

There really isn't a sound reason for England not to take a greater interest in baseball, it doesn't have to be a case of cricket OR baseball. Australia has a third of the population of the UK but always managed to play both. And at a much higher standard than the Poms have ever done.