Our Great America: A TL

I'm so very sorry for any inconvieniences that the ending of the first two TLs may have caused you. But now, there is a new POD, but the same general idea, and maps and flags will be posted every 5th Chapter. Enjoy!

Chapter One
“Fraser Gold Rush and 54'40”
A TL

300px-Oregoncountry.png

A representation of the “indefinite” claim the U.S. made in 1844, during the Democratic campaign. This got much popular support by the public, leading to the election of Polk.

“The whole land of Oregon is an indefinite and unquestionable claim to the U.S., and will not be ceded nor sold to any other power…I, and many others like me, are willing to go to war with Great Britain for our land.” – A quote from the speech of James K. Polk during the 1844 Democratic National Convention.

During the Democratic campaign of 1844, James K. Polk pushed for annexation of both Texas and, more importantly, the Oregon territory, which was disputed between Britain and the U.S. at the time. This appealed to both Northern and Southern expansionists, and would lead to the election of Polk as President of the United States, mainly because the opposition, Henry Clay, pushed against expansion. As he was inaugurated in March, 1845, he stated that the U.S. had a “clear and indefinite claim” to Oregon, and that neither Britain nor any other power, could take that away from them. Polk believed that strong posturing and a show of power would intimidate Britain into giving in to an acceptable resolution that would please the United States, and proceeded to do so as the two countries fortified the northern borders in preparation for war. He also rejected all offers by the U.K. that would use arbitration, and continued to push for the whole region. The public called out for the entire region, as mentioned in the 1844 Democratic campaign. On December 27th, 1845, the term “Manifest Destiny” was coined by John L. O’Sullivan describing American entitlement to the whole of Oregon, and would be used by expansionists for years to come.

Meanwhile, calls of war were erupting from the public over British mistrust and the belief that the U.S. would use the land more efficiently than the British. This, coupled with the bitterness that Northerners felt when Polk would compromise over Oregon but not Texas, and that many Senators of Michigan, Indiana and Ohio (note that these states were close to the northern borders, especially Michigan) were willing to push for war rather than accept anything less of “54’40” created enough political pressure to cause Polk to finally sever negotiations permanently with Great Britain. The British, not wanting of another war, finally gave into the demands of the U.S., but only if they came up with a good enough deal. On June 15th, 1846, the U.S. offered that a joint occupation between Britain and the U.S., that would allow both American and British colonists to occupy the whole territory, and that both nations would govern their own people from the split capital of Vancouver. East Vancouver would be controlled by the British and West Vancouver would be controlled by the Americans. The offer also mentioned the Hudson Bay Company and its monopoly among the fur trade on the Western Pacific Coast, and how they may continue their trade, but must relinquish all monopolies on the fur trade and allow free trade that is beyond their control. The British accepted these terms, and although they were bitter about the Hudson Bay Company section of the treaty, were still happy that it had not come to war between the two nations as they had more important things to worry about such as the Irish potato famine, and the U.S. pleased that they had both gained the Oregon territory and Texas that year. Many expansionists rejoiced, and even though they didn’t trust the British, they were glad that America had followed the Manifest Destiny. The newly gained Oregon territory would also help build a better American presence in the Pacific, and start the foundations of Fort Dwayne, a naval base that would help encourage trade between the U.S. and many of the colonial and Asian powers.

The years following the Oregon Treaty of 1846, many American pioneers moved towards the newly attained Oregon territory, even though the U.S. still didn’t trust the British, they were still willing to share the territory as long as they still had control through numbers. In fact, they did, as very few British colonists came to Oregon during the intermission, while the Americans had already established a naval base and a base population of at least 145 people. After the relatively peaceful nine years, the Fraser Gold Rush caused American colonists to again question the Oregon Treaty of 1846, more specifically the shared rule between Britain and America. During the Fraser Gold Rush, over 30,000 American miners and pioneers came from all around the Continental U.S., a lot more than the measly 400 that the British had. Anyways, during this short period of economic prosperity, the British-controlled East Vancouver complained that the large American population was taking homes and jobs meant for the British, and the American-controlled West Vancouver countered by stating that very few British had even come to Oregon, while the Americans had a naval base and a rapidly growing population. When the British began evicting Americans from their homes, and stopped American miners from claiming land, Americans responded by rioting and vandalizing much British-owned property on the night of August 19th, 1856 known as “Dark Tuesday”. West Vancouver had to pay $1,000 for the damages caused by the American citizens, and both Secretary of State William L. Marcy and Secretary of Foreign Affairs knew it was time for another negotiation to take place. On the 30th of August, President Franklin Pierce and Prime Minister Henry John Temple began negotiations that would rearrange the Oregon Treaty. On November 5th, 1856, a deal would allow certain British laws to apply to both types of citizens. Although that made it seem that the British were in control, appealing to the Prime Minister, it actually gave the U.S. more power in the Oregon Territorial Government, weakening Britain’s control, bound to affect the history of the future. Even though American citizens were angered that they had to follow British rules, they were no longer discriminated by the British, and continued the gold rush until 1860. After the Fraser Gold Rush, many Americans continued to stay in Oregon territory, mining the coal reservoirs, and although some Americans left for more gold rushes, the Americans remained even after the British residents were nearly non-existent. This would continue to persist even after the American Civil War.

“The citizens of the U.S. deserve all rights that their British counterparts, and I call upon the Prime Minister of Great Britain to stop this buffoonery, and make peace!” – Secretary of State William L. Marcy, at the Conference of 1856, talking about the reconstruction of the Oregon Treaty of 1856.

Last edited:
So the Oregon territory is jointly occupied by the Americans and the British longer. I'm reminded of what James G. Blaine said in his book Twenty Years of Congress that if Polk had left well enough alone the whole of the Oregon territory would have ended up in the US.* So a good start to this version.

Now I am just guessing here, but the next chapter will probably deal with the Mexican-American war. If so keep in mind that Polk should send anyone but Trist to negotiate the peace. If your goal is a larger America, that will help.

All that said, have fun with Mk. III.

* "It is not improbable, that, if the Oregon question had been allowed to rest for the time under the provisions of the treaty of 1827, the whole country would ultimately have fallen into our hands, and the American flag might today be waving over British Columbia." Twenty Years of Congress, Chapter 3, page 55.

The US cannot fight Great Britain and Mexico at the same time. Even if it went with a Oregon-First policy and pursued war, the Mexicans would eventually be able to wisen up most likely with British aid from the south. Same with GB in Canada. Pursue mexico first makes it tougher to get Oregon/Columbia. Nevermind that the blockade will most likely do enough damage. 1840s US will be terrible overstretched if it fights both at the same time.

if that is your plan.

obviously regardless you will most likely have to pursue both in the end, and either option still gets you a civil war. But that is really not the problem here. the problem is the damn overseas territory in china which is ridiculous IMO. better to stay with Cuba and the Philippines. Cliche, but much more realistic.

The US cannot fight Great Britain and Mexico at the same time. Even if it went with a Oregon-First policy and pursued war, the Mexicans would eventually be able to wisen up most likely with British aid from the south. Same with GB in Canada. Pursue mexico first makes it tougher to get Oregon/Columbia. Nevermind that the blockade will most likely do enough damage. 1840s US will be terrible overstretched if it fights both at the same time.

if that is your plan.

I do not think that is his plan. The way it looks to me is Polk sent the army to the border as a dangerous bluff in order to get the British to back down on their claim with the threat of war, but in the end settled for a renegotiation of the treaty of 1827 and continued joint occupation of Oregon as the new deal would allow America to flood the area with settlers and claim the whole at some latter date based off the fact Americans would outnumber the British 100:1. America also seems to be playing a longer game in this as CB said there was a further renegotiation of the treaty in 1856, and unless I read the update wrong the joint occupation continues into the 1860's and after the American civil war. This doesn't seem like America is going to war with Britain to me.

This is the new post! My drive was working finally, so I hope you like it. :)

Chapter Two
“Mexican-American War”
A TL
zacharytaylorcolor.jpg

This is a commemorative painting of General Zachary Taylor, painted shortly after the end of the Mexican-American War. It currently hangs in the Zachary Taylor Memorial Museum, in Virginia near his hometown.

“We have no reason to go to war with our southern neighbors, but if they push this absurd claim that the whole of Texas belongs to them, we will have no choice but to use aggression to settle this dispute.” – President Polk on the statement from General Mariano Paredes y Arrillaga claiming the entirety of Texan territory.

After the appeasing of Northern expansionists with the Oregon Treaty of 1846, and the Southern expansionists already pleased with the annexation of Texas in 1845, there was still the problem of Mexico. Mexico occupied territory west of the U.S. and “Manifest Destiny” was widely accepted as a goal. Meanwhile, Mexico had claimed that the Texan border went north until the Nueces River, even after the Treaties of Velasco. This angered both Texans and Americans, and only increased tensions, giving Polk the chance to send General Zachary Taylor in June, 1845 along with 3,500 soldiers who were willing to fight for the disputed area while waiting in the temporary Camp Texas. While this was going on, Polk also realized the importance of the Mexican territory of Alta California that would give America an important position in the Pacific if the U.S. could obtain it from the Mexicans. Polk also warned both Britain and France that a takeover of Alta California by either countries would be met with consequences. After a war scare in July, the Winter of 1845-46 would bring up another war scare, as a government-paid explorer by the name of John C. Fremont, with a group of armed men, were told by Mexican authorities to leave the area after being caught twice wandering around California, and he and his group responded by building a temporary fort on Gavilan Peak and raising the American flag. He left in March, but would come back later to participate in the Bear Flag revolt.

Shortly after this event, Polk also sent John Slidell to Mexico City with an offer to buy out the territory to the Rio Grande and the provinces of Alta California and Santa Fe de Nuevo México for $25 million, however, the Mexican government rejected the offer, because it was both unable and unwilling to. Why they were unable to was because the government had changed multiple times, with the presidency switched 4 times in 1846 alone, not concerning the other parts of government. Although the leadership was constantly changing, all political factions agreed that accepting the offer would ruin Mexico’s self-image as a strong, independent country. This ended in President José Joaquín de Herrera’s accusation of treason and deposement when he considered receiving Slidwell and negotiating peacefully, as he wanted to avoid direct conflict with the U.S., whereas his military opponents were disgusted by Slidell’s presence in Mexico City. After the deposement of President José Joaquín de Herrera, a nationalistic government under General Mariano Paredes y Arrillaga came to power, claiming that the whole of Texas belonged to Mexico, even after the United States’ annexation of Texas.

Finally, four events happened that would spark a two year war between Mexico and the United States. On April 25th, 1846, a Mexican artillery detachment two thousand men strong, under command of General Mariano Arista, would attack a seventy man American patrol under command of Captain Seth Thornton, routing the patrol and killing sixteen Americans. Shortly afterwards, Mexican forces crossed the disputed Rio Grande on May 1st, 1846 with a force of 6,000 led by General Marino Arista. They went to siege Camp Texas from May 3rd to May 8th, and were finally repelled on the fourth day after being relieved by General Taylor’s forces from Point Isabel. With Taylor’s force of 2,200 men and the Mexican force of 4,500 met on flat, open ground. The American artillery proceeded to cause heavy casualties for Mexicans, while repulsing the American cavalry charge and General Arista retreated. Thus was the Battle of Palo Alto. On May 9th, 1846, Taylor attacked after advancing from Palo Alto, and broke through the strong Mexican defense at the Battle of Resaca de la Palma. Resulting from this was the routing of Arista’s entire army. Mexican losses were 1,100 while Americans had 170 killed and wounded. After hearing word of the Thornton Affair, President James K. Polk declared war upon Mexico on May 11th of 1846, to be accepted by Congress on May 13th. A while later, during mid-war, Polk decided that since the war was going well for the Americans, the Mexicans would accept an armistice and a payout of $30 million for the previously discussed territories along with Baja California and possibly some other southern territories. Deciding against sending Nicholas Trist, as he did not approve of the conduct he used in the past, and instead sent Michael Wright, another Southern aristocrat and slave owner, to negotiate with the Mexican government. This was a good choice, as the beaten Mexican government finally accepted defeat, and on June 8th, 1847, the war was over, with the obtaining of New Mexico, both Alta and Baja California, and all territory south of the U.S. until Chihuahua. Rebellions and riots would arise from the Mexican population, mainly the group Red Rose, but would be silenced by martial law. Another revolution toppled the government of Mexico, and replaced the head of state with Joseph Hidalgo and the government with the Third Federal Republic of Mexico. The U.S. cared less about the new president, but kept an eye on him just in case. Meanwhile, the European powers did not really care about the short Mexican-American War; Britain took fleeting interest in it, but quickly faded as the Crimean War was of much more importance. Manifest Destiny grew for America, and the South grew as well. These territories taken would be resented by the new Mexican government, but there was no action taken out of fear for another loss in the Mexican-American War. However, rage would continue to rise slowly through the years.

“The American victory in this war will be forever imprinted in the minds of our people…never forget the unlawful taking of our territory, and the tarnishing of our honor…rise up, people of Mexico, and take back our land!” – Joseph Hidalgo, the new President of Mexico rallying supporters for the rebellions in the newly gained American territory. The rebellions would ultimately fail.

Mexico has been defeated, Polk was smart enough not to send Trist, and America has grown. All seems to be going well for the US except for an increasingly bitter southern neighbor. I have the feeling if Mexico can avoid ticing off the French to the point they invade they will be selling guns (at a mark up) to the south in the coming civil war.

Anywho, if I have read the timeline right so far the US looks something like the bellow picture correct?

USA1850OGA.png

Mexico has been defeated, Polk was smart enough not to send Trist, and America has grown. All seems to be going well for the US except for an increasingly bitter southern neighbor. I have the feeling if Mexico can avoid ticing off the French to the point they invade they will be selling guns (at a mark up) to the south in the coming civil war.

Anywho, if I have read the timeline right so far the US looks something like the bellow picture correct?

That looks about right.

Sorry for the delay of the updates, I've just been through a three-day peroid of writer's block, so I just started the third chapter. On that matter, I should be posting the third chapter by next week.

Well, I know I told you that I would have an update this week, and it still is going to be this week, but it will be delayed until Friday. I had a horrid cold for most of the week and the sheer amount of paragraphs in this chapter is near overwhelming. However, definitely expect it on Friday, and if you have any questions regarding the thread or the next chapter, PM me and I'll try to answer to the best of my abilities. Thanks for your patience, and I really appreciate it!

Alright, here's the update, thank God, and before Thanksgiving, too! Sorry about the last paragraph being rushed, but I did I could. Feedback is appreciated, and I'll see you after the holiday break. Anyways, have a great Thanksgiving! (If you celebrate it, of course.) :D

Chapter Three

“Popular Sovereignty and Southern Migration”

A TL

jameskpolk1.jpg

James K. Polk, during the last years of his presidency, was mainly known for his intervention in issues in the western frontier, and for passing one of the more racist laws of his time.

“It is only our right to expand our nation...both north and south...as America has gained territory rightfully." - President James K. Polk on the Law of Land Ownership in the West, however this would be ignored by the Mexican peoples of the west, ending in the widespread rebellion throughout the west.

Following the treaty that would force Mexico to cede most of their western lands to the U.S., and the crushing of the initial rebellions that arose from the Mexican population in 1847, a feeling of relative safeness flourish throughout the west, causing a movement that would direct America’s history. The Migration of 48-49, or the Great Southern Migration, depending on where you lived, was the movement of pioneers to the new territories who were looking for land to claim. The pioneers included farmers and miners, the former searching for land to tend to, and the latter searching for gold, but most prominently were Southern aristocrats who often moved their slaves with them in search of land and revenue. President Polk and his supporters encouraged this migration, hoping that any increase in Americans in the west would prevent any possible future attacks by Mexico. However, the Whig party, although widely ignored at this point in time, stated that the mass movement of U.S. citizens on already occupied soil would surely be an act of both oppression and aggression towards the Mexican peoples, and be cause for fighting or worse, another Mexican-American War. This statement, made by Whig representative and former presidential candidate Henry Clay, was wildly unpopular and barely dented the American nationalist opinions and views that came as a result of the Migration of 48-49. Polk and his Democratic Party countered by saying that because the land of the west was attained by the U.S. in a “fair and lawful war”, all American citizens had a complete and absolute claim over the land regardless of previous ownership. That being said, Polk passed the “Law of Land Ownership in the West”, one of the final acts of his presidency, that would force all original owners of land in the U.S. to give up their land and allow others to settle on it on September 13th, 1848. This law was passed quickly, although there was some opposition by the Whigs in Congress, and was enacted and enforced throughout the west. The law was obviously directed towards the remaining Mexican population of the west, and is known as one of the most racist laws ever to be passed by American legislature. It went to embitter the already angry Mexican peoples of the west. Both popular support of the law and this counter-argument probably was one of the main factors that the Democratic Party won the Election of 1848. Alas, the migrations would not go by quietly as Mexican landowners took up arms supplied by people like the Mexican-American War veteran General Mariano Arista, who was disappointed by the fact that the new Mexican president was not taking action against the oppression of the Mexican peoples in the west, and Mexican nationalist groups such as Red Rose, which is about 5,000 strong. Recordings of the rebellion say that the first shots were fired in the city of Janos, starting widespread rebellions throughout the west on September 21st of 1848. Heavy fighting continued until President Polk deployed federal troops to dispel the rebellions. Meanwhile, an outraged Joseph hidalgo fired General Mariano Arista for taking action in foreign affairs without his approval. This action appalled the Mexican nation, almost completely sure that their Mexican President now had pacifistic views. But this was not the case, as Joseph was just trying to focus his efforts on the major debt Mexico held with European countries such as Britain and France and was frustrated that General Arista was wasting valuable resources. After the rebellion’s end, an estimated 300 people on both sides were killed, and around 230 wounded. Leaders of both sides of the rebellion were tried at Dallas for the controversial Dallas Trials, which were biased towards Americans, as the U.S. citizens tended to get smaller sentences compared to their Mexican counterparts. This was the tipping point for Mexicans in the southwest, and an exodus of the Mexican population to their homeland left the southwest territory with a slim Mexican population. The rebellion, nicknamed the Summer Rebellion, was seen as a national tragedy, and already soaring racism against Mexican-Americans increased. Shortly after the exodus, little hostile activity between the two factions continued save for the occasional brawl.

The Elections of 1848 were the most influential elections in guiding America’s future. On November 7th, 1848, a 58% majority voted for Lewis Cass and Vice President Nominee William O. Butler, leading to the inauguration of the two as President and Vice President, respectively. Some people think that the fact that because under previous Democratic rule America thrived and grew, many people decided that another Democrat would continue that period of prosperity, especially with Cass’s positive views on Manifest Destiny. This also would be the nail on the coffin for the Whig party, who, following the Elections of 1848, shrunk to an extremely small support base, most likely because they spent most of their energies trying to condemn Polk’s war policies, and nominating Daniel Webster in hopes that his powerful speaking skills would turn the public opinion in the Whig’s favor, but failed to do so. Under Lewis Cass’s policies, America would develop an even stronger stance against European presence in North America, specifically British North America, and Lewis Cass’s push for the “popular sovereignty” would end in the implementation of said the Doctrine of Popular Sovereignty in the southwest territories. However, Cass’s seemingly pro-slavery leanings would start yet another party, the Free Soil Party, made up of anti-slavery Democrats, who had a mainly Northern support group that would go on to become a larger party as the Civil War began. While Cass was President, he began debating in Congress on whether the western territories should become states. This decision would be strongly supported by the Democratic Party, while opposition from the Free Soil Party slowed the debates. The reason the Free Soil Party opposed said decision as they knew the territories had quite a large Southern population, and with recent implementations of popular sovereignty, they were sure that the states would be admitted as slave ones. However, the choice was approved by Congress on December 8th, 1848. It would be one of the first actions of Lewis Cass as President. Chihuahua would become Taylor, out of respect for the well-known general in the Mexican-American War, and Baja California became South California while Alta California became North California. The admitted slave states were both Taylor and South California due to popular sovereignty, while the rest of the territories like Northern California became free states. Popularity rose for Cass in the South from Southern expansionists, while the Northern expansionists felt like they were being cheated, and Cass was prioritizing the South over the North. Cass's Vice President, William O. Butler, learned much from Cass, particularly the pro-Monroe Doctrine feeling and expansionism that the President held. Meanwhile, Lewis's time in office saw a thriving American economy due to the large agricultural and industrial growth in the west.

"The period of prosperity in the west was essential in the establishment and growth of America as a strong nation, and hopefully, Mexico will realize this rather than direct their anger towards us." - Lewis Cass, commenting on the growth in the west and the rise of Mexican bitterness during his presidency.

Last edited:
Chapter Three has been revised. As you can see, I took out the Alaskan Purchase, as I believed I had skipped too many years, and should focus on events shortly after the Elections of 1844. The Crimean War and its effects will appear in a later chapter. Anyhow, are there any questions or comments on this chapter?

With the admitance of two more slave states than OTL (putting them in a majority for now) I could see a lot of pressure to get Minnesota admited to bring balance back between free state and slave. After that though popular soverignty is going to make Kansas and possibly New Mexico and Sonora a battleground and a half over how they will be admited. I'm interested to see how you make those play out.

That said, I do have a minor nitpick. I do agree that bumping back the Alaska purchase a bit is a good idea, but you left one reference to it in the last paragraph. Anywho, an enjoyable revision.

Last edited:
With the admitance of two more slave states than OTL (putting them in a majority for now) I could see a lot of pressure to get Minnesota admited to bring balance back between free state and slave. After that though popular soverignty is going to make Kansas and possibly New Mexico and Sonora a battleground and a half over how they will be admited. I'm interested to see how you make those play out.

That said, I do have a minor nitpick. I do agree that bumping back the Alaska purchase a bit is a good idea, but you left one reference to it in the last paragraph. Anywho, an enjoyable revision.

Ah, I missed that, my apologies, and I am glad you enjoyed the chapter. But yes, I have plans for Kansas and New Mexico...big plans... ;)