Cronenberg Directs Return of the Jedi?

Stolengood

Banned
You might be confused with the David who was actually considered... David Lynch. ;)

I don't think Cronenberg was high-profile enough in 1982 to even be offered the job, much less turn it down...

Anyone have any proposals for a 'better' director?

Irvin Kershner. The reason he wasn't asked back was because the Guild fined Lucas for having the credits at the end of the film rather than before, so Lucas had to look elsewhere. I think that's the reason he couldn't use a bunch of other possible directors, because he would have gotten in trouble. Which, I don't know why he got away with it on the prequels but couldn't on Jedi. And two, you're George Lucas; call the film "Blue Harvest" to keep it a secret or say you'll put the credits at the beginning, release it with the credits at the end, and flip the Directors Guild the bird and pay the fine.

Honestly, I would suggest Spielberg too if he doesn't get too saccharine (and that was RoTJ's problem as it was; this was a film that was originally supposed to involve the Wookies instead of Ewoks, Luke falling to the Dark Side before being redeemed by Leia, and Han Solo dying).

Assuming Lynch was contracted how would it change Star Wars ?
One word: Dune.

Three words: Don't do it.

Stolengood

Banned
One word: Dune.

Three words: Don't do it.
Three more words: The Elephant Man. It's what he could do when kept steady by a good producer -- and it's easily his best film.

DeLaurentiis, on the other hand... not such a quality producer. Hence, Dune. Lucas wouldn't allow Lynch to go so crazy with the budget, I'd imagine (on Jedi, it was pre-approved months before shooting by Howard Kazanjian), but keep in mind that Lucas LOVED Lynch -- loved his experimental work, which is one of the things the two had in common -- so he'd probably give him a lot of respect and let him do some of his own thing, but only to the service of the story Lucas wants told.

Oh, and in case you're wondering why Lucas never got fined again? It's because he paid the fine, then publicly resigned from the DGA so he'd never be fined again. That's why.

Three more words: The Elephant Man. It's what he could do when kept on a leash by a good producer.

DeLaurentiis, on the other hand... not such a quality producer.

I don't think he could work with the material. Think if he had to work with a George Lucas that insisted on Ewoks, and refused the idea of Han Solo dying (all issues to character depth, development and seriousness), and was really focused on merchandising. That's all per the OTL.

According to "The Making of Star Wars: Return of the Jedi," Terry Gilliam was one of the directors considered. Would you believe Terry Gilliam doing Star Wars? :)

According to "The Making of Star Wars: Return of the Jedi," Terry Gilliam was one of the directors considered. Would you believe Terry Gilliam doing Star Wars? :)

Is it wrong that i want all these people to be Monty Python all of a sudden?
612px-Inner_circle.jpg

Act VI Scene III: The princess and Han Solo are surrounded by storm troopers. They can't get the blast doors open, and the Ewoks are on the retreat.

Storm Trooper: "Freeze"

Han looks at Leia who casts her eyes at a blaster that she is holding.

Han: "I love you"

Leia and Han: "Always look at the bright side of life"

Storm Troopers whistle tune

Leia and Han, whilst doing a small jig blasting the storm troopers in time with the music "Always look at the bright side of life"

Storm troopers die however there moans of death are in tune with the music.

Leia and Han continue to shoot: "When life seems jolly rotten, there's something you've forgotten..."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Or perhaps if he'd done "The Empire Strikes Back"

Darth Vader: Luke, I'm your father Luke.
Luke: You're my father?
Darth Vader: Of course I'm your father! Why else would I have this outrageous accent. Now, join me or I'll taunt you a second time!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Of perhaps if he'd done "Star Wars"

Leia and Luke are running from the storm troopers. In the distance they see a chasm, but between them and the chasm stands a dark armoured figure.

Darth Vader "NONE SHALL PASS"
Luke: "What?"
Darth Vader: "NONE SHALL PASS"
Luke: "I have no quarrel with you, good Sir Knight, but I must cross that chasm.
Darth Vader: "then you shall DIE"
Leia: "I command you, as Princess of Alderan, to stand aside!
Darth Vader: "I move for now woman... not even my daughter... oops, spoiler alert!!! Oh, btw son, if you have the hots for her now is the time to re-think your priorities. Oh, SHIT... another spoiler alert!
Luke: "So be it"
Luke opens his light sabre as does Darth Vader. Luke cuts off Darth Vader's mechanical arm.
Luke: "Now stand aside... err.. dad"
Darth Vader: "'Tis but a scratch. Now look. Keep that 'dad/son thing' to yourself... both of you. There's a remote chance that this pathetic storyline may be popular. If it is, we're going to dump it on people half way through the next movie... ok?"
Luke: "How can we forget something like that? I've had mastabatory fantasies of her since I saw her on R2 several weeks ago. Now I feel all unclean! Besides which, it's far from 'just a scratch'
Darth Vader: "No it isn't"
Luke points to Darth Vader's arm: "Well... what's that then?"
Darth Vader: "I've had worse. Trust me... I've had a LOT worse. If this gets REALLY popular you'll see just how much worse I've had... and I'm not just talking about Hayden Christenen's acting... although that hurts a lot more than the wounds I suffer!

Clever.

Croenbergs thing was the fear of change in your body, losing control of your body & hence reality. He worked that theme into many or most of his films. I'm not sure Lucas would let hi go very far with the physical side of that, but the warping reality part could be used to twist the story. Any thoughts on how? Besides really scary Ewoks?