Pro Fide, Lege et Rige: The Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth Survives

Chapter 1: The Crossing of the Duna

It was dark. The Coalition troops besieging Riga were exhausted. The Swedish artillery and those damned gunboats had been blasting away at the redoubts all day and well into the night. They had stopped four hours ago. Four hours of blissful silence which would allow the men to rest. General Paykull was adamant that Saxon courage could defeat the enemy even if there were 300,000 of them. The men thought he was a fool. Many wished Von Steinau were in command, but he was still in Kokenhusen chasing phantom Swedish cavalry, at least that was what Paykull said.

It started small. At four o'clock in the morning with the rumble of guns on the river. Then came the smoke as blazing wrecks crashed into the redoubts dug into the shoreline. The Swedes were attacking. Private Georg Steiner was a member of the Saxon infantry, he was awoken first by the fire and then by the smoke. He heard the Feldwebel shout "To Arms! The Swedes are making a crossing!" And grabbed his musket. Unfortunately the smoke was blinding and he and the rest of the company were firing volley blind into the smoke, hoping to hit something. He heard the Thunder of guns from the Garras redoubt not too far from his position, but the return fire from those blasted gunboats beat a booming cadence against the night. Soon the guns from the Garras Redoubt went silent. And after what felt like an eternity, Georg's company was ordered to muster for an assault on the Swedish Bridgehead.

Georg readied himself for the assault as his company moved into position, he went over a checklist of his gear in his mind, to distract himself from the fact that he would soon be plunged into battle with the foe that had thrashed the Russians at Narva and forced the Danes to bow out so quickly.

The call to advance came and Georg followed his orders. He could see the Swedes now, blue coats with yellow standing to to protect their bridgehead. Georg stood by for volley fire and as he fired his musket, he could have sworn he heard laughter. He pushed the thought aside as his shot rimmed into a Swedish coat, blood blossoming against the blue, forming an odd contrast. Reload and fire. The man to Georg's left, Johan Spengler took a Swedish bullet to the shoulder as Georg dropped another Swede. Johan would be lucky to keep the arm with that wound. Another volley and Georg dropped another Swede, yet the enemy still held. A trumpet somewhere sounded charge, and Georg barely had time to fire a fourth round which missed the Swedish ranks before he was fixing his bayonet and charging. He lashed out with his musket, spearing a Swede through the gut, retracting his improvised spear to parry aside a Swedish bayonet before bashing the man's skull in with the stock of his musket. The world spun around him as he lashed out again and again. His company killing Swedes and being killed in return, yet still he thought he heard laughter.

The Swedes wouldn't break though, and soon the retreat was sounded. Georg's company had failed to beat back the Swedish Bridgehead. Another assault was called in from a different part of the line but Georg wasn't part of it. He heard later that Von Steinau had returned and launched a cavalry raid on the enemy, allowing the Saxon forces to withdraw in good order, but all he could think of on the march back to Poland was the laughter. It wasn't until later he realized that the laughter was his own.

Chapter 2: The Meeting

Augustus II was not a happy man. His siege of Riga had failed and although General Von Steinau had withdrawn in good order, he still had retreated. However Karl XII seemed to be having trouble with the Russian positions which were still extant. While Von Steinau had run to preserve his forces, it seemed the Russians were going to fight to the last. It would take a few days to mop up the Russians, and Augustus intended to use that time to reinforce and dig in.

Suddenly, Augustus' musings were cut short by a page announcing the Arrival of General Steinau. After motioning that the General should be let in, Augustus said, "Come in. There is a Campaign to be planned you know. Now I have been thinking. We should reinforce our numbers and dig in. With superior numbers and prepared positions, we shall break the Swedes like waves on the rocks." Von Steinau shook his head and replied, "Your Majesty we had superior numbers and prepared positions on the Duna, yet Swedish organization and inventive tactics saw us off. I have heard from the Russians and they intend to use the time bought by the sacrifice of their remaining men to reorganize and modernize their army. I believe we should do the same, not just with the Saxon forces but the Commonwealth troops as well. I have fought for the Austrian and French armies and I can tell you that we need that kind of organization to prevail. The Swedes are highly organized, but their numbers are small and many of their commanders untested. If we reform our army, we can be just as organized and larger."

Augustus thought on that for a moment and said, "I can reform the Saxon Army, but the Commonwealth Army reforms will have to go through the Sejm. It could take awhile to push it through but if our reformed Saxon Army can beat the Swedes in battle, then the various magnates of the Commonwealth will see its value and vote yes for it. Do what you can with your troops from the Duna in the time we have. I will try to cajole the Sejm into a vote. In the meantime prepare the Commonwealth Army to dig in here at Klissow to make a stand against the Swedes when they come." Replied Augustus pointing at the map.

"There is just one thing I will need in order to reform the Saxon army, your Majesty. I will need a number of commissions for a number of good drill instructors and officers from my Imperial and French service. I believe with their aid, I might be able to instill good order and organization into the Army." Replied Von Steinau.

"Very well. I shall grant these commissions in my Capacity as elector of Saxony. Meanwhile as King of Poland and Grand Duke of Lithuania, I must call the Sejm." Replied Augustus with a Grimace. He always disliked the fractious nature of that body. Hopefully the new Saxon Army would be done before the Swedes came. That way he would have something to show the Magnats to convince them of the worth of the reforms.

Anyone out there wish to comment? Anyone at all?

This is well written, particulary the first part, vey realistic. I don't know the history of this northern war too much, so I need time and a little of Wikipedia reading to understand the situation.

It is a interessing POD to try to reform the PLC during saxonian times, because most of the TL I have read tried to reform the PLC during the golden age of the XVIIth century and not later.

This is well written, particulary the first part, vey realistic. I don't know the history of this northern war too much, so I need time and a little of Wikipedia reading to understand the situation.

It is a interessing POD to try to reform the PLC during saxonian times, because most of the TL I have read tried to reform the PLC during the golden age of the XVIIth century and not later.

I picked the Great Northern War as it was really the last possible moment to get reform going before it became too late. It will start with the army, then some things will happen with the Sejm that will force political reform. I don't want to give too much away but I have updates planned well into the 19th century. I should mention that I'm using a limited butterfly net. There will be people who's roles are somewhat familiar later on but who's characters are different if you catch my drift.

cool do you think their is anyway Poland and Sweden could ally after the war against Russia cause once Russia gets going both powers are screwed.

I will say this. Poland's post war allies have already been hinted at. The Seven years war is going to go somewhat differently on the continent. But I've said too much. . .

Chapter 3: But I already went through training!

As the Commonwealth Army was fortifying Klissow a Saxon Army of 8000 men was busy training outside Poznan. Georg Steiner, newly promoted Corporal was busy training with the rest of his company, as a French Lieutenant from Lorraine shouted at him in bad German. Every morning it was calisthenics, followed by drills designed to instill discipline and efficiency. They followed that up with live fire drills, such as the one they were doing now. The French Lieutenant raised his Sabre in the air and shouted, "I want accuracy with each shot! By the time I am done with you, you shall be able to hit your target firing five times a minute or I will have you all flogged and sent back to repeat this course again!"

This of course was met with grumbling from the men as they stood to on the range. . .except for Georg. Georg seemed to laugh a little as he fired his musket. His first shot hit the practice dummy in the torso as he reloaded as fast as he could without fouling up. Crack went his musket, a shot that hit the dummy in the shoulder. Back to reloading, out goes the ramrod, full cock the flint, aim and crack a hit on the dummy's groin, but Georg had no time to wince at the straw man's imaginary pain. Reloading. Crack another shot, this one to the leg. 15 seconds left now as he frantically reloaded. Aim and Crack, a shot at the dummy's neck just two seconds before the sadistic little frog of an instructor blew his whistle.

Georg looked around him, most of the rest of the company had not made it to five shots. Some had not made it to four, which was bad for a line company, even if it was acceptable for Jagers and their harder to reload long rifles. He had stopped laughing when he saw the rest of the company, but that did not stop their instructor from singling Georg out.

"So Le Grande Fou, over here can manage five shots on target after two weeks of my training, even if he is mad as a fool doing so. Maybe the rest of you will catch up by the time you have to face the Swedes, maybe not. I know what might motivate you. . .more drill! You can thank your insane Corporal for that." Smiled the Frenchman. This was met with even more grumbling and a few glares directed at both the Lieutenant and Georg. They were then bullied back into a column for more drill. Georg would later find a toad in his bedding at the barracks, but the next day the company did better at the range, so maybe there was a method to that little frog's madness

The Great Northern War, Battle of Riga in 1701 in the first post I think.

Good beginning KnightofTempest, there's (still) not enough TLs where PLC isnt casually trashed.

GdwnsnHo

Banned
Reformed PLC?

Oh this can only end interesting.

France and PLC fighting for the Continent rather than France and Russia? Oh yes.

Not to look to far ahead, but a weakened russia would be interesting too.

New Mongol Empire, etc.

Ah, the butterflies, so so many butterflies. :D

Reformed PLC?

Oh this can only end interesting.

France and PLC fighting for the Continent rather than France and Russia? Oh yes.

Russia wasn't a major actor in the western Europa continent until 1800, before it, its major military intervention were restricted to the Baltic or Black Sea theatre.

Since the end of the Hundred Year War, France main rival on the continent was the Habsbourg Empire (Spain, the Netherlands, Austria) and its german and italian allies. And of course, since the Glorious Revolution, the UK...

Chapter 4: Stirrings in the Sejm

Augustus II had called the Sejm. Thousands of Szlachta had shown up, bedecked in robes and furs, szabla hanging from the belts and mustaches drooping. Each of them had their own agenda and several clustered around the large magnat families in factions, which in turn had their own agendas. It was positively byzantine in its workings, a relic of a bygone age.

It was into this mass of fractious nobles that Augustus II strode. He knew that some of the Nobles didn't like him, but that just meant he would have to politic hard. He waded in amongst the Szlachta, pressing the flesh and making small talk, surreptitiously bringing up the military reforms. He had to promise a few factions concessions before they would even think of passing the reforms, some, like the Lubomorski faction wanted Crown lands for agriculture, others wanted more trade to be done with certain nations or a lowering of tariffs on certain goods. By the time Augustus was ready to address the Sejm as a whole he felt exhausted.

"Szlachta hear me!" He shouted to get their attention. "We are at war with Sweden. The Swedes are organized, disciplined, more so than our own troops. The Swedes have used that discipline to force us out of Swedish Courland and back onto our own soil. In my Capacity as elector of Saxony I have listened to my Generals and taken their advice. The Saxon army is reforming. It is becoming more organized, more disciplined, more efficient. The Swedish victories in Courland have proven this necessary. When next the Saxon army meets the Swedes in Battle, it will not go as well for Sweden! Szlachta! I urge you to pass these reforms onto the Commonwealth Army as well, for if the mighty armies of the Commonwealth were to become more disciplined, Organized, and efficient, surely we could secure our place in the sun against the Swedes, Russians, or anyone else that might seek to challenge it!"

With that the Sejm exploded into debate many it seemed were for the idea, others were unsure. Then there was debate about where the money for the reforms would come from and if they would Institute all or part of the reforms. Fortunately nobody seemed ready to veto. . .yet. Augustus sighed, hopefully Von Steinau would have his reformed troops ready in time for the Battle at Klissow. Augustus had heard that the Swedes were almost ready to begin marching south into Poland. If Von Steinau could pull off a Victory at Klissow with his reformed troops, Augustus was sure the Sejm would vote yes on the reforms. For now he had a war to plan. . .

Interesting. But don't call for attention like that, it's good enough to stand in its own ;)

BTW- One request- please, don't combine Polish names with English writings. I'm from Poland and it doesn't read too good. Although it's just my opinion, so if no one else feels like that, just ignore it.

Chapter 5: The Swedish Plan

Three redoubts, those were what had forced him to stay in Courland for the moment. Three redoubts packed with 12,000 Russian Troops that had refused to retreat or surrender, fighting to the last man in hopes of a relief force that wasn't coming. Karl XII chuckled to himself, these Russians were so simple, at least the Saxons had the good grace to know when they were beaten. Of those three redoubts, Karl had taken two and killed some 8,000 Russians doing so. His casualties were steeper than he would have liked, and it had taken him six weeks for his reinforcements to gather, and another week to take the redoubts, but as light dawned on August 29th 1701, he knew that the last Russian Positions in Swedish Courland would be overrun today and he would kick them out just as he had in Ingria. He could then place his man Leszczyński on the Polish Throne after defeating the Polish Army. He had heard that they were making a stand at Klissow, well he would oblige them and rout them all the same.

As the last of the Swedish Artillery Stopped Firing, Karl checked his gear and then waved his men forward, he would accompany them on their final assault to break the last of the Russians, as Gustavus Adolphus would have accompanied his men. "Stand to for Assault!" He shouted, as the trumpeteers blew the order to stand to. Swedish Infantry arrayed in column formation prepared to break through into the Russian Position, while Finnish Militia with wicked looking spiked clubs and pistols formed a somewhat unruly square behind the infantry. Karl would use his disciplined infantry to tear a gap in the Russian Line and release his Finns into the gap to wreck havoc. "Advance!" Karl shouted.

He advanced with the infantry, who fired as they advanced, taking out Russian Sentries. The Russians fired back, but the weight of the formation kept the Swedes coming on even as men in the first ranks fell to russian bullets. The Swedes kept firing, almost every bullet hitting a Russian trooper, and soon the Column crashed into the Russians. Karl himself was plunged into melee then, firing his pistol into the gut of a Russian who had tried to brain him with a musket stock, before parrying aside a sabre attack from a kaftan wearing streltsy, then riposting with a slash that opened the unfortunate Russian's throat.

All around the melee people fought and died, the bodies of Russians lay thick around the Ground, when Karl judged a gap had been opened he reloaded his pistol and fired into the air, the signal to send in the Finns. A Shout of "Haaka Palle!" Was heard as the fins charged into the gap torn by Karl's Brave company, clubbing Russians to death with their spiked clubs and shooting them with pistols. The Russians disintigrated, trying to fall back further into their fieldworks to reform, but the Finns wouldn't let up, they kept the Russians disorganized an harried. Karl and his company switched to line formation and began to advance. By the time the Russians had reached their supplementary trench they were badly bloodied and disorganized, easy prey for the Swedish Infantry, who fired upon them With impunity as the Finns harried their flanks.

By the end of the day, the last of the Russians had surrendered rather than be massacred. There were only 20 ragged Russians left to surrender, and they were led by a one armed Lieutenant. Karl knew now, that his march into Poland would be unobstructed. He would leave 10,000 men in Courland as a Garrison and march with 14,000 men south to meet the Poles at Klissow. He was confident he could win, after all, he had done nothing but win since the war started.