Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Entry 2

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Entry 3

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Entry 4

Votes: 8 25.0%

• Total voters
Done in stead of BionicWilliam who is at work all day.

This poll will be open for 3 days. (I forgot to make this automatic, so we will just read the results as final at 23:59 GMT on September 14.

The challenge was "Design a flag for a (location/administrative division) that does not have one (OTL only please). OTL is the history of the world as we know it, everything but the history of a fictional, parallel universe with alternate history properties. In essence, we live in OTL."

Entry 1 said:
Here is a flag for the town of Brentwood, Essex in England.

The design is based on the town's coat of arms.

NHyfbtH.png

Entry 2 said:
Here's my entry - the Cairns Regional Council. The green represents the land, the gold the beach, the blue the water and the white the Barrier Reef, all key elements that the council has oversight on and all key sources of revenue for it.

attachment.php

Entry 3 said:
Flag of Austin, Texas.

The blue stripe stands for the Bluebonnet flower, the official flower of Texas and commonly found in Austin, and the Colorado River which flows through the city and played a major part in its history. The white stripe stands for peace (Austin was judged the second safest US city in 2012), the clean air and the silicon tech industry. The violet stripe stands for the "Violet Crown" motto and meteorological phenomenon, where winter sunsets have a wild violet glow over the hills. In the center is a golden star flanked with wings.[/FONT] This emblem is derived from the coat of arms of Stephen F. Austin, the founder of the city, but the cross is replaced with the star to signal secular rule and tolerance for other faiths. The star represents Austin's status as the capital of Texas, both currently as the "Lone Star State" and historically when it was an independent republic. The wings represent freedom and glory.

Flag%20of%20Austin%2C%20Texas.png

Entry 4 said:
CANVEY ISLAND

Canvey Island in the county of Essex became an Urban District in 1926. In 1972 it became part of the mainland Castle Point Borough.

In 2003 the “Canvey Island Independent Party” (CIIP) was formed to fight local elections, with great success as they captured 16 of the 17 wards on the island.

The CIIP later merged with the “Canvey Island First!” organisation to form the “Canvey Island Independence Front”. The activities of the Front led to the island gaining Unitary Authority local government status, when the flag shown below was adopted.

The trident and the three walls denote the island’s dominance over the sea and the sea walls built for protection (In 1953 the North Sea Flood had led to the temporary evacuation of all residents and resulted in 58 deaths). The gold and red colours derive from the flag of Essex County. An orange, white and blue central strip honours the Dutch engineers and settlers who reclaimed large areas of the island. The sea is represented by the blue and white at the bottom of the flag.

2yu0j7d.png

Last edited:
Here's Entry 2 CAIRNS REGIONAL COUNCIL
Edit - removed​

TB just copy and paste on your next edit and I'll remove it from here​

Last edited:
If it a tie come closing, then what do we do?

Good question. I have never encountered a four-way tie before. I was going to wait until the poll closed before thinking about it, but it wouldn't hurt to prepare something now.

Previous conflicts were resolved by cancelling the round, allowing all tied entrants to "win" together, or extending the voting period. The last option is the most appropriate, but can't prevent the problem from arising again. So probably another idea is needed.

The best solution I can think of is to let you, the challenge master, decide a winner if the poll is a tie. Any other ideas?

That sounds like a very good option, in fact good enough to be incorporated into the competition rules.

I'll keep the current rules if there is a two way tie, and let the challenge master decide if there is a tie between more than two entries. Eventually I will update the main rules.