Question/WI: Japan and Far East Siberia

One thing that has popped up in mind was the interactions between Japan and the Far East Siberia? Only thing though is that I cant find any info upon it. Because I had a a WI idea which is that the Japanese settle into Far Eastern Siberia early in Human history, long before the Russians arrive.

Possible? My information is very limited if the Japanese could have settled into the Far East.

You'd need a good reason why. East Siberia is so cold and not-fertile, and Japan is so nice and temperate. What kind of maniac would willingly leave a big temperate island for a desolate continental wasteland?

EDIT: Well, the British for one. But my point stands. :p

One thing that has popped up in mind was the interactions between Japan and the Far East Siberia? Only thing though is that I cant find any info upon it. Because I had a a WI idea which is that the Japanese settle into Far Eastern Siberia early in Human history, long before the Russians arrive.

Possible? My information is very limited if the Japanese could have settled into the Far East.

They are going to be chased back into the Sea of Japan once a band of nomads found their settlement worth looting. There is a reason that neither China nor Korea can hold them unless their rulers are from up there themselves.

PhilippeO

Banned
this might need biological POD. historically, even Hokkaido is very sparsely settled by Japanese until 19th century. a variant of hardy winter wheat might cause Japan and Korea to advance North.

OTL, Kingdom of Bohai was the last diplomatic partner of Japan after Japan had broken off diplomatic relations with Silla (780s) and China (830s).

What would happen if, after Khitan attack on Bohai (926), Japan sends a bunch of samurai to protect a rump Bohai on the coastal area?

OTL, Kingdom of Bohai was the last diplomatic partner of Japan after Japan had broken off diplomatic relations with Silla (780s) and China (830s).

What would happen if, after Khitan attack on Bohai (926), Japan sends a bunch of samurai to protect a rump Bohai on the coastal area?

Balhae collapsed IOTL due to a series of eruptions on Baekdu Mountain for around a century, which cumulated in a particularly devastating one shortly before the country imploded in 926 and was conquered by the Khitan in that year. The eastern regions would have been the most affected by the collective eruptions, which is supported by the fact that Later Balhae (c. 926-38), if it even existed at all, was probably located along the eastern coastline and was fraught with severe political turmoil before it collapsed, not to mention that none of its neighbors were willing to send aid. On the other hand, Jeong-an (c. 938-86) was founded on the north bank of the Yalu River, and repeatedly requested aid from the Song, instead of from Japan, along with sending a missive to Goryeo shortly before it was also eventually overwhelmed by the Khitan after repeated invasions.

As a result, Japan would have to either attack the Khitan directly or sail around the Korean Peninsula in order to even reach any Balhae remnants, both of which would have been extremely risky, not to mention that the Battle of Baekgang several centuries earlier would have provided a cautionary tale. The fact that neither the Song nor Goryeo sent any aid by land or sea for decades also indicates that they were also unwilling to incur significant risk, as they were more focused on defensive measures or campaigns elsewhere.

While uprisings in Manchuria continued to occur into 1116, they all failed to last beyond a year, and were much more limited in scope.