Go Back   Alternate History Discussion Board > Discussion > Alternate History Discussion: After 1900

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 16th, 2004, 03:37 PM
tom tom is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Twinsburg, Ohio
Posts: 1000 or more
Viva la Acre

What would leave the Acre Free State independent in South America in 2004, over a century longer than OTL?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old January 17th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Guilherme Loureiro Guilherme Loureiro is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom
What would leave the Acre Free State independent in South America in 2004, over a century longer than OTL?
I'd say the Brazilian government doing its utmost to refuse the Acreans' wishes of joining Brazil. I don't know how you could have that, though, and the resulting Acre Free State would be in dire straits once the rubber boom is over. BTW, it's Viva o Acre(in Portuguese, definite articles are o and a, for masculine and feminine gender respectively).
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old January 17th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Grey Wolf Grey Wolf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Deepest Wales
Posts: 1000 or more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilherme Loureiro
I'd say the Brazilian government doing its utmost to refuse the Acreans' wishes of joining Brazil. I don't know how you could have that, though, and the resulting Acre Free State would be in dire straits once the rubber boom is over. BTW, it's Viva o Acre(in Portuguese, definite articles are o and a, for masculine and feminine gender respectively).
Hmmm, was it an independent nation in 1900 or so then ? I've not heard of this one

Grey Wolf
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old January 17th, 2004, 11:36 AM
Guilherme Loureiro Guilherme Loureiro is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Wolf
Hmmm, was it an independent nation in 1900 or so then ? I've not heard of this one

Grey Wolf
Brazilians plying the rubber trade in the 1890's ended up crossing the border to Bolivia, since rubber trees are spread out in a large area. To cut a long story short, since I don't know all the details, the Bolivian government imposed restrictions on their trade, and since the Brazilians were a majority in the area, they rebelled against the Bolivian government, proclaiming the Estado Livre do Acre(Acre Free State), which pleaded admission in the Brazilian state. The crisis was solved though diplomatic means; the Brazilian government purchased Acre from Bolivia and, as part of the deal, built a railway in order to ensure Bolivian access to Brazilian river ports, and thus access to the sea.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.