More Axis Countries?

i forget, was Persia being occupied/invaded/influenced by Russia at that time, or was that during the tsarist period? if they were being invaded by the Soviets, they could conceivably be an Axis member in the way Finland was

Iran got invaded by Britain and the USSR in 1941 to prevent Germany from attacking through there.

San Marino, Liechtenstein, Andorra:D

Andorra assumes Spain and Vichy France are full-fledged members.

I think the Swiss had plans to cockblock Germany if they tried annexing Liechtenstein.

Why didn't Mussolini ever bother annexing San Marino? :confused:

Saphroneth

Banned
Why didn't Mussolini ever bother annexing San Marino? :confused:

They were fellow Fascists until about three days after Mussolini fell, but never declared war on the UK. Very canny politicians, those Marinos.

Poll_Merino.jpg

No, I said Marinos.

A_soldier%27s_grave_in_Monte_Titano_%28September_1944%29.jpg

That's better.

elkarlo

Banned
Argentina possibly?

South Africa at a stretch, but more likely to be neutral than join the Axis.

No South Africans(if just neutral) in the NA camp would prolly hurt the British in 41-42 imho. That is a lot of good motorized troops sitting it out. WHo would replace them?

No South Africans(if just neutral) in the NA camp would prolly hurt the British in 41-42 imho. That is a lot of good motorized troops sitting it out. WHo would replace them?

Yes, you would need a POD of at least 20 or 30 years iN SA history to get South Africa to be Axis.

A harsher Treaty of Vereeniging may see even more bitterness between Afrikaner and English Saffas. That said, if the population balance is more or less the same, and the Union goes Axis, there could easily be a civil war in South Africa, over the issue. In OTL there was an uprising by Afrikaners over the decision to enter WWI on Britain's side.

Can it fit?

Spain if Franco is deposed by one of his generals, and Torch hasn't happened yet.

Portugal to save itself from German occupation IF Spain has joined the Axis.

Vichy France would more likely collapse if its leaders tried to openly join the Axis, resulting in an earlier Operation: Anton.

Sweden: No, short of the USSR collapsing and the UK dropping out of the war.

Turkey: No, short of the USSR collapsing, then: See Portugal.

Iraq tried.

Iran was short-circuited to prevent another Iraq.

Any South & Central American country short of Argentina is more likely by far to join the Allies than the Axis

Argentina: As soon as Skippy the Alien Space Bat moves Argentina to the Central Mediterranean Sea.:p-Can it fit?:confused::D

Liberia: Never

Haiti: Never

Nepal, Bhutan, Afghanistan, Tibet: ???:confused:

It'd have to be a heck of a lot more militant and rebellious, OTL they provided the largest volunteer army in the history of the world for the British Empire.

Of course, I was not suggesting it would be any easy task. But, perhaps, could be the most valuable country to switch. Not even per se man the Axis, but refuse to serve or volunteer with the Brits: how much of an impact would it be, for as you mentioned, in OTL, it provided the British Empire with the largest volunteer army in the history of the world.

elkarlo

Banned
Yes, you would need a POD of at least 20 or 30 years iN SA history to get South Africa to be Axis.

A harsher Treaty of Vereeniging may see even more bitterness between Afrikaner and English Saffas. That said, if the population balance is more or less the same, and the Union goes Axis, there could easily be a civil war in South Africa, over the issue. In OTL there was an uprising by Afrikaners over the decision to enter WWI on Britain's side.

Not even Axis SA. Just neutral could hurt the British. I think k SA was already hesitant about declaring war. Maybe a different PM and less Commonwealth support?

Saphroneth

Banned
Of course, I was not suggesting it would be any easy task. But, perhaps, could be the most valuable country to switch. Not even per se man the Axis, but refuse to serve or volunteer with the Brits: how much of an impact would it be, for as you mentioned, in OTL, it provided the British Empire with the largest volunteer army in the history of the world.

Well, if you get over a million people to no longer volunteer, then the Indians are STILL providing their OTL volunteer army size - they turned away at least that many volunteers for simple lack of materiel.
More than that, and it starts to get interesting. I'd assume the Indian Army contingents in the MidEast would be dialled back, possibly there'd be a genuine focus on Europe First as opposed to "Europe first, also Japan at the same time" and as such a purely defensive line would be taken in Burma... just a guess ofc.

Not even Axis SA. Just neutral could hurt the British. I think k SA was already hesitant about declaring war. Maybe a different PM and less Commonwealth support?

Well, the South African Parliament voted 80 to 67 to declare war on Germany, rather than stay neutral. Have seven MPs from the 'declare war' side vote for neutrality, and BOOM, there you go - neutral SA.

Hertzog will probably remain on as PM, and Smuts may resign from the government. This could have interesting butterflies with regard to the war in North Africa and possibly Italy, as well as with regard to broader South African politics.

elkarlo

Banned
Well, the South African Parliament voted 80 to 67 to declare war on Germany, rather than stay neutral. Have seven MPs from the 'declare war' side vote for neutrality, and BOOM, there you go - neutral SA.

Hertzog will probably remain on as PM, and Smuts may resign from the government. This could have interesting butterflies with regard to the war in North Africa and possibly Italy, as well as with regard to broader South African politics.

OK it was closer than I thought. Wow. This alone may be thread worthy

Bulgaria theoretically can have been pulled into the Axis even more than it was with proper PODs. Perhaps pre-war Soviet aggression or something. Yugoslavia, with more proper political maneuvering and "luck" could have been also (perhaps allying with Germany to act as a counterweight to Italy).