AHC: multiple "Jewish State"s

OTL, there is only 1 Jewish state. Another that may count would be the Autonomous Oblast, which I am not going to count.
So, with a POD between 1900 and whenever, make as many Jewish nations as possible.

I guess you'd have to have Zionists advocate multiple Jewish states, but I'm not sure why they would do that. Maybe Zionism splits into factions, based on where they think the state should go, and everyone wins. However, I find it unlikely that the established world-powers would have the patience for giving in to multiple demands for territory.

I think the easiest one is to make the Autonomous Oblast 1) a full-fledged republic and 2) majority Jewish, but you vetoed that, so... hm.

A Communist "Israel" carved out of some of the former German territory given to Poland? Upper Silesia or West Pomerania, maybe. Then resettle Eastern European Jews there (whether they like it or not) and presto.

I think the easiest one is to make the Autonomous Oblast 1) a full-fledged republic and 2) majority Jewish, but you vetoed that, so... hm.

A Communist "Israel" carved out of some of the former German territory given to Poland? Upper Silesia or West Pomerania, maybe. Then resettle Eastern European Jews there (whether they like it or not) and presto.

Should've specified, I meant I vetoed the Jewish Oblast because, well, it's not an independent nation.

Should've specified, I meant I vetoed the Jewish Oblast because, well, it's not an independent nation.

Ah, okay - well, let's make it one, then! I think that's the easiest solution by far. Have it proclaimed a full republic, jigger the demographics so it has a Jewish majority (or at least plurality) and bam, come the fall of the USSR, there you go.

Ah, okay - well, let's make it one, then! I think that's the easiest solution by far. Have it proclaimed a full republic, jigger the demographics so it has a Jewish majority (or at least plurality) and bam, come the fall of the USSR, there you go.

Making it into one would be the hard part though- how to stop the Jewish exodus to Israel?

OTL, there is only 1 Jewish state. Another that may count would be the Autonomous Oblast, which I am not going to count.
So, with a POD between 1900 and whenever, make as many Jewish nations as possible.
Easy.

Israel says "Fuck It" and withdraws from the West Bank, letting Palestinians declare independence. The settlers that refuse to leave don't like it and in turn declare independence as the Halachic State of Judea.

There you go, two Jewish states: the state of Israel, recognized by most of the international community and the unrecognized (but probably supported by certain Israeli elements) state of Judea.

There's also the Madagascar Plan, which involve resettling Jews in Madagascar. We could have several Jewish states that are built on whichever ideology they believe in:

- Israel: Built on religious theocracy.
- Madagascar: Built on secular Zionism.
- A Jewish entity within Russia: Built on communism.
- Kimberley (some proposed Jewish homeland in Australia): Built on democratic Zionism.

What if the tensions between the reformed and orthodox are so big by 1948 that they establish two states when the British withdraw?

Hyper-Zionists demand the right to settle in Egypt (because of Exodus, the Hykos), Arabia (because of the "Jewish tribes" who existed there pre-Islam) and Mesopotamia (because of Eden and the Babylon exile). Significantly more crazy British Empire grants them their wish.

Thus you have the Jewish States of Egypt, Babylon and Ḥimyar alongside a Greater Israel including Jordan.

Another option would be a deeper divide between Ashkenazim and Mizrahim resulting in the Mizrahim becoming more radical and declaring independence from a more Eurocentric Israel. Maybe the much touted possibility of a Communist Israel (perhaps Yiddish speaking), which would be more secular, could do the trick of increasing the divide between the relatively more secular Europeans and relatively more religious Middle Eastern Jews.

Last edited:
Obvious POD: Zionists accept the Uganda proposal in the early 1900s. Then you get a Jewish state in East Africa. While this state absorbs much of the Jewish emigration that OTL went to Palestine, you also continue to get settlement in Palestine, some of it more religious in character. Eventually, efforts to establish a binational state in that region fall apart, and a small Jewish state is created in Palestine. So there are two Jewish states — an alt-Israel in the Levant and a "New Zion" or something of that sort in East Africa.

If you want to push things back a bit further into history, maybe the British and the US agreed to turn the Oregon territory into a new Jewish homeland.

The Republic of New Zion (I know the name isn't imaginative), and then the Russians make the Jewish Autonomous Oblast in the early 20th century in a different location than RL and it successfully breaks away when the USSR is formed, becoming the Jewish Rus. Then after WWII and the Holocaust (the German Jews largely stayed in Europe since they didn't have major problems until the rise of Hitler) there is discussion about re-creating Israel in the ME but instead the Soviets take the former lands of Prussia and depopulate them of Germans and replace them with the survivors of the Holocaust. The People's Jewish Homeland becomes a Soviet satellite state very quickly.

Meanwhile the British create the Federal State of Israel and Palestine out of the Transjordan, the borders of which more or less correspond with the biblical borders of Israel, but consists of two federal 'states' called the Jewish State of Israel and the Arabic State of Palestine. While their economies and defense and foreign relations are shared, both states have broad internal powers. While the arrangement is unstable, in time it becomes clear that it's better than what the rest of the Middle East winds up having to deal with.