TLIAD: From the Darkest Moment

"Recovery comes from the darkest moment."
John Major

title_card_by_alfiejsteer-d7m7pxj.png

Ooh I’m sorry, Lord Roem!

Yes, as you can see I have learnt to use Photoshop. Hello again by the way.

Hi. So what the bloody hell is this?

It’s a British Political TLIAD.

How very original.

Thank you.

Oh but wait, what's this? A collaborative TLIAD?! The last person to attempt that barely got passed three updates. Who was that again?

Alright! Alright! But it's different this time, I have time on my hands!

No you don't you have two more maths exams next week.

How do you know that?

I'm your internal monologue, duh.

You're not my internal monologue though, and I have nothing but time on my hands.

Ooh and here he is! One of the few people to actually finish a TLIAD in one day!

I'll take that as a compliment then. And, for the record, I've finished three TLIADs in the required time.

Did you want some kind of medal?

It might be nice...

Do I get a medal?

No! You still haven't finished half of yours!

Fine. Can we at least move on with this now? I think we've done enough of the whole monologue intro thing now.

Not yet I'm still waiting for my medal.

There isn't a fucking medal.

No, he just said you couldn't have one!

Yeah well I've got a Turtledove award...

...In the Writer's Forum. Hardly a big achievement is it. Oh and what happened to that?

Sorry, do I need to give you two a minute...

Aren't we supposed to be arguing with you and not each other?

Yeah shall we move on?

I think so; probably for the best.

john_major_2_by_alfiejsteer-d7lz3zi.png

1990 – 1991: JOHN MAJOR - (CONSERVATIVE)

The first casualty

John Major’s rise to power was one of the quickest and most sudden of modern political history. Being elected to parliament in 1979 as Margaret Thatcher was swept to power he slowly rose through the ranks of political office, serving minor positions as Minister for State for Social Security and later Chief Secretary to the Treasury, before suddenly, in the final months of Thatcher’s eleven year premiership, jumping up to Foreign Secretary, Chancellor and ultimately Prime Minister. As Thatcher fell from office at the hands of her allies, Major had seemed an unusual choice for the office, he was quiet, unassuming, and not particularly charismatic. But, in the eyes of many he was a “safe pair of hands” and a unifying force within a much divided party.

As it was, by February 1991, not even a hundred days after taking office, John Major was very comfortable in his position. The economy was on the mend, the departure of Margaret Thatcher had provided much needed change for the government and had seen a reassuring increase in polling for the Tories, greatly improving since the dark days of the poll tax. Iraqi troops were close to being pushed out of Kuwait and an eventual coalition victory seemed increasingly likely.

However, on the 7th February 1991, fate intervened.

As the War Cabinet met to discuss the last conclusive stages of the Gulf War, an IRA mortar – by either luck or morbidly impressive accuracy – crashed through the roof of No.10 Downing Street and almost directly into the centre of the Cabinet Office.

The initial response was blurred, police and emergency services were called right away, rgw Downing Street staff was evacuated and steps were made to completely cordon off Whitehall. However, the confused orders of police and the army left Whitehall open until later that afternoon. As a result, Journalists who had heard the blast immediately began reporting “explosions in Whitehall” on live news channels. A handful of reporters even managed to reach the gates of Downing Street, where shocking images were taken of No.10 close to ruins, the windows smashed, the iconic door hanging on its hinges, and even one photographer took a now darkly iconic photograph of one body in the street, covered crudely with a policeman’s jacket.

Within an hour a statement was formally delivered that announced that the Prime Minister as well as all cabinet ministers at the meeting had been killed in the IRA attack. The other casualties included Douglas Hurd, David Mellor, Tom King, Peter Lilley and Norman Lamont.

The response of the public was both shock and anger. Wreaths and flowers were left at Whitehall and at his constituency home in Huntington, tributes were paid from across the political spectrum and Buckingham Palace’s flag flew at half-mast. Meanwhile in Northern Ireland; Loyalist paramilitaries unleashed a flurry of anger and violence against Republicans, causing notable riots on the streets of Belfast. As images of fires raging in the city that night were reported on the news, the public saw a terrifying image of what was to come.

Many would later describe the death of John Major as “Britain’s JFK”, but that now seems inaccurate. The country had not just lost a leader, but most of its senior government. The entire senior cabinet, bar one minister, had been killed in the explosion. The country found itself in a power vacuum, the government was gone and possible replacements proved difficult to agree on, both due to age as well as ideology and standing within the party. In the first few hours after the attack there were talks of the Queen sending for Neil Kinnock and Paddy Ashdown to form an emergency government, but it was quickly dispelled by senior advisors. As a new interim cabinet was drawn up that evening - made predominantly of deputy ministers taking on an “acting” of their late senior cabinet ministers - the parliamentary party quickly turned inwards, to find a new leader and Prime Minister.

Last edited:
John Major as Britain's JFK?! The Grey Man? Excuse me, I have to go dunk my head under a cold tap so steam stops coming out of my ears. :p I have to see what comes next now however!

Very Good. Major's near-death experience is a PoD I haven't seen. Of course, the death of a PM who was relatively open-minded on Northern Ireland at the hands of the IRA is going to cause bad things. I'm seeing PM Hezza, but anything could happen: it is a TLIAD.

:eek: I wonder how bad Northern Ireland is going to turn out.

I guess things are going to turn really bloody (for the IRA) in the short term?

Poor David Mellor. He just wants people to keep their phones off at the opera, guys.

An intriguing start, and your inspirations are clear. Keep going!

kenneth_baker__1991___1991__by_alfiejsteer-d7lz2e9.png

7th - 13th February, 1991: KENNETH BAKER – (CONSERVATIVE)

The lamb trying to be a lion

Following the 7th February attack, the British government was temporarily leaderless. With the death of the Prime Minister and several leading members of his Cabinet, the next-in-line to hold the Premiership of the United Kingdom was the Home Secretary, Kenneth Baker.

With the ruins of Downing Street no longer a suitable location as a basis for any government, Baker and his Cabinet, formed from what still remained of his predecessor’s Cabinet, assumed office in Carlton Court, St. James’s.

Never expected to or even planning on making any form of campaign for the party leadership, Baker was thrust into the most powerful office in the country at a time when decisive leadership and action was called for. Public outcry against the IRA as well as the demand of strong resolve in the face of the assassination of the Prime Minister forced Baker to take measures he might have otherwise thought extreme. In an effort to take control of the rioting and violent unrest in Belfast and the other major population centres of Northern Ireland, troops were redeployed and a state of emergency within Belfast was announced.

Already the scene of violence, soldiers arriving into Belfast soon sought to create order; this often resulted in claims of military violence against civilians, however official evidence to support these claims have yet to be found. Derry saw the second largest deployment of British forces, however many troops initially dispatched there would be moved to Newry where violence had escalated to localised firefights between the local Catholic and Protestant communities. Baker would also oversee a number of raids on known IRA cells within Northern Ireland, in particular in Belfast. With the high troop presence in the city, the attacks were carried out with great efficiency, although only a small number of IRA personnel would be captured in what was called Operation Clover.

London was placed under a lockdown in the immediate aftermath of the attack; the Metropolitan Police were granted special powers; raids on suspected IRA cells within the city and a citywide curfew were put into place, alongside a lockdown at Whitehall and the surrounding areas. Labour was quick to call that this the beginning of a police state, although the Prime Minister rebutted that it was purely to be a temporary measure and only within the City of London itself. The measure was soon ended though; as the suspects were not caught in the 36 hours following the attack, both public outcry and the threat of a vote of no confidence against the government forced Baker to withdraw the special powers previously granted.

Baker would be brought into the office only as a placeholder though; having little interest in remaining as the Prime Minister, it would be only a week before the Conservative Party would seek out a more permanent solution to this national crisis. Whispers were still prowling through Westminster that Her Majesty was seeking to form a national government led by Kinnock and Ashdown. The Conservative Party knew that a formal leadership election would be required to bring legitimacy to the role of Prime Minister, rather than keep Baker in power until a general election was called.

And in such a crisis has had been afflicted upon the nation, there were few figures that could galvanise support and rally the masses. Britain needed a leader, someone to unite the masses in this time of crisis, someone with experience in times of conflict, someone with the will to see it through to the very end, an Iron Lady…​

U.S David

Banned
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But honestly I could care less about her. Now a former President coming back is a Tliad in the making....

I am sure Kinnock is going to sort everything out...

Well, I shall be looking forward to your efforts, young Alfie and Techdread.

But honestly I could care less about her. Now a former President coming back is a Tliad in the making....

By how much could you care less?

And, I add to the scared reactions. Northern Ireland must be even more of a fucking hellhole than it was OTL. :eek: