World Cup 1978: England Qualify?

What if England qualified for the World Cup finals in '78?

The national team was in disarray after Don Revie left the team abruptly and thus, Ron Greenwood took over. A 2-0 victory over Luxembourg all but confirmed England were not going to the World Cup after sliding into second on goal difference.

So, what would have happened had England knocked in the goals? Think of the players we had at the time (Mick Channon, Kevin Keegan).

And, how would this affect the Falklands conflict?

What if England qualified for the World Cup finals in '78?

The national team was in disarray after Don Revie left the team abruptly and thus, Ron Greenwood took over. A 2-0 victory over Luxembourg all but confirmed England were not going to the World Cup after sliding into second on goal difference.

So, what would have happened had England knocked in the goals? Think of the players we had at the time (Mick Channon, Kevin Keegan).

And, how would this affect the Falklands conflict?

Hi again.

Firstly, I don't really blame Revie for going. A wide array of the old farts at the FA actively wanted him to fail, and chief among them was Sir Harold Thompson, chairman of the FA International Committee. This makes entertaining reading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Warris_Thompson#Football_Association

I particularly like the quote: "Sir Harold was a bullying autocrat. He was a bastard. He treated the staff like shit"

As for the tournament, England had a decent side and could have given anyone a game, but it's difficult to see them winning it. However, an England Argentina final would have been interesting in those pre-Falklands War days. As I recall, the status of the Falklands wasn't an issue in the UK before 1982, so maybe it would have raised awareness of it. This could possibly have butterflied the war away. Either the GBP make it clear they want nothing to do with the islands, or (more likely IMHO) there is a groundswell of support for letting the islands remain British. In either case we are deprived of The Fireflies Of Port Stanley.

If England get the same group as Italy then they are placed in what could be described as a "Group of Death".

Group 1
  • England
  • Argentina (Hosts)
  • France
  • Hungary
If England got out of the group and won it they would have faced in the second group stage another "Group of Death"

Group A
  • Austria
  • England
  • Netherlands
  • West Germany
That's nice and easy then:D

Therew where no semi-finals in 1978, with the winners of the top 2 Groups playing of in the Final, the runners-up playing for 3rd/4th place.

Here is my best guess what the England 1978 World Cup squad would have looked like.

Goalkeepers
Peter Shilton Nottingham Forest
Ray Clemence Liverpool
Joe Corrigan Manchester City
Defenders
Phil Neal Liverpool
Mick Mills Ipswich Town
Trevor Cherry Leeds United
Phil Thompson Liverpool
Emlyn Hughes Liverpool
Dave Watson Manchester City
Brian Greenhoff Manchester United
Midfielders
Ray Wilkins Chelsea
Steve Coppell Manchester United
Trevor Brooking West Ham United
Tony Currie Leeds United
Peter Barnes Manchester City
Ray Kennedy Liverpool
Terry McDermott Liverpool
Forwards
Bob Latchford Everton
Trevor Francis Birmingham City
Kevin Keegan Hamburg
Stuart Pearson Manchester United
Paul Mariner Ipswich Town

*Players who just missed the cut Ian Callaghan (Liverpool), Kevin Beattie (Ipswich), Tony Woodcock (Nottingham Forest).

Brian Greenhoff could also play in Midfield.

Yes, but there is no Gerry Francis type character. No Bryan Robson, Steven Gerrard, Paul Ince, or Alan Mullery. No one who looks like he can pull it all together. It's an impressive group of attacking midfielders. I can see them playing nice stuff when they've got the ball, but struggling to win it back.

Just as an aside, every time I see Wilkins' name on an England team sheet, it taked me back to this goal. Wow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEgIartoTvI

I love his reaction. "Hmm, that was okay. Oh, hang on, I'm not on the training ground, this is a match!"

Eh, you know what'd happen: in a pivotal second-round group stage game (probably against Argentina), they'd go up 1-0, give up a dodgy penalty/red card leading to the equalizer, and then lose on penalty kicks. :p

Eh, you know what'd happen: in a pivotal second-round group stage game (probably against Argentina), they'd go up 1-0, give up a dodgy penalty/red card leading to the equalizer, and then lose on penalty kicks. :p

Aye. Now, if the Germans had our luck...

Just did a quick comparison between my fictional 1978 squad and the real 1982 squad. 13 Players are the same.
See link here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_FIFA_World_Cup_squads#England
Maybe with a decent performance in 1978 (I think that they would get to the 2nd group stage) they could easily get to the semi-finals in 1982 with a bit more "world cup knowhow".
Don't forget England in 1982 where playing in there first World Cup in twelve years.