WI: Apple goes under

I would like to see a company timeline have some outside results, such as: If Apple ends in 1997, then Crimea would still be under the Ukrainian government in June 2014.

But perhaps the more reasonable result might be more like: Competitors to Microsoft get more aggressive, and Windows of different vintages does not hold around 90 % of the world's personal computers in spring 2014.

I wonder if Steve would have taken his doctor's advised treatment for his cancer in such a scenario (assuming that NeXT takes off). Apple was in a good place OTL but maybe if he felt that a lot of his work still needed to be done, and to ensure his legacy, he wouldn't waste time on those alternative treatments.

Without Job taking over Apple, we got interesting evolution in Computer industry

Apple bankruptcy in 1997 because Spindler idea for license Apple Clones to other companies goes wrong
and on other side Job NeXT, inc.
i guess Stephen Job will buy his old company remains to produce new NeXT computers
while loyal fans of Apple will goes for those NeXT computers, the clones companies face competition under each other.

in same time NeXT and Apple clones has to change CPU after Motorola stop production of the m88k cpu. most go for Power PC cpu,
expect NeXT who take Intel, while NeXTSTEP operating system evolved to analog if otl MacOS X.
Try the Clones companies to improve the System 7 OS what let to a "rank growth" of different OS how also are Incompatible to others clones.
while other try complete new operation system for there apple copies.

in 2000s NeXT precent there all-in-one desktop computer NeXT-Man
also another product the NeXT-Jukebox a portable audio player.

while under Clones man factor only six or three survived the competition by forming alliance
they face biggest challenge the production stop of Power PC cpu so they make there transition to AMD cpus

Being REALLY pessimistic Bill Gates and Microsoft become even more powerful and crush NeXT and the clone companies with the result that by 2000 ALL computers use Windows and its derivatives.

Linux users are not nerds!(just paranoid:D) However Microsoft would rule supreme with no major challengers in the home and business markets (probably industrial as well).

I would hope that there would be different systems for intelligence and defence!

Asami

Banned
You guys are forgetting that Microsoft nearly got shut down by the United States Dept of Justice...

I'd say that Apple going under would have horrific side-effects for Microsoft. They would likely get beaten down by the DOJ instead of pardoned. Without a major competitor (in the form of Mac OS), Microsoft gets balkanized into it's various divisions, and both big head honchos in the computer industry are wiped out.

This could theoretically have good bonuses to NeXT, and the other third-party computer manufacturers.

thaddeus

Donor
always wondered "what if" AOL had offered an Amiga computer on a monthly plan, similar to the present day cellphone plans?

(Commodore was an early backer of AOL)

might have been an interesting competitor.

Driftless

Donor
You guys are forgetting that Microsoft nearly got shut down by the United States Dept of Justice...

I was going to lead with the hyperbolic simile of the DOJ shutting down MS was like Custer shuting down Crazy Horse. But that really would be hyperbole. There was zero chance of the DOJ doing anything but huffing and puffing for the evening news sound bites.

In that era, Microsoft played serious hardball with anyone who stood in their way. Either you were with them, or you got crushed. You can say whatever you choose about Apple and their computers, but they have served as a useful counterbalance to MS.

NothingNow

Banned
Eh, the Apple IP was still too valuable to let go. So the company would probably be bought up by Oracle or someone else with cash to burn as a valuable personal computing brand. Larry Ellison would do it just to spite Microsoft. There is no underestimating the hatred that man has for the company Gates built.

The production of apple clones would stop post haste under the new ownership, and there'd be a general clearing house in Cupertino. The engineers might get to stay. Everyone else is pretty fucked though.