A successful Chinese invasion of Japan?

I don't know enough about China to know if this is ASB, but is an Imperial Chinese
invasion of Japan possible? I'd prefer after the Mongol Empire was a threat. What would be the chances of success?

I appreciate any input.

Baekgang (663) wouldn't work, given that the Tang were still focused on Goguryeo until it was eventually conquered in 668. Meanwhile, tensions between Silla and the Tang (formerly allies) concerning administration over what had been Baekje and Goguryeo eventually culminated in the Silla-Tang War, after which China was forced to withdraw from the peninsula in 676 after it was routed, and Balhae's establishment in 698 additionally cut the Tang off from Manchuria. In general, China was more focused on internal matters, while the nomads to the north continued to remain as a pressing threat from 133 BC-AD 234, 304-581, 907-1279, and from 1368-1644, generally preventing it from even thinking about invading Japan. Additionally, the Korean peninsula, which would have been necessary for an invading navy to conduct operations, was never directly conquered by China.

I can definitely see it being possible, even (or especially?) post-Yuan. But what I can't see is a good motivation for it.

Maybe butterflies with a more open Ming/Qing and some issues around the Ryukyu tributariy who is modern Okinawa and the islands...

The japanese lords of... invaded it and took over around the Tokugawa's rise, I think, forgot the exact date.

MAYBE if you get the europeans interests involved...

The logistical issues make any long term occupation very unlikely. Japan is cut form China by sea and just too mountainous and heavily populated.

I don't know enough about China to know if this is ASB, but is an Imperial Chinese
invasion of Japan possible? I'd prefer after the Mongol Empire was a threat. What would be the chances of success?

I appreciate any input.

China had the means from the Mings down to the 18th century just like any superpower of the day.

Question would be why would the Chinese invade Japan. Japan never offered any value for China to conquer. Japan is highly populated and organized to be conquered like Taiwan or any other nation that China conquered. It also doesnt offer anything in value for the Chinese to conquer. The rewards of conquering Japan isnt worth the risk.