The Fighting Illini - P&S: Illinois

Hello,

Welcome to my spinoff of Protect and Survive, The Fighting Illini. This is my first TL here, so any feedback/critiques are welcomed and encouraged.

Prologue

Assembly Hall, University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign)
Urbana-Champaign, Illinois
February 21, 2014

Former Governor of Illinois Jim Thompson walked onto the stage with a roar of applause around him. This was the 30th anniversary of The Exchange, and Thompson was to make a speech. Although he was 78 years old, he looked as if he was almost 90. The post-nuclear war world had taken it's toll on Governor Thompson.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, thank you. Today we acknowledge 30 years since our old world went up in nuclear fire. We remember everyone who we lost. We think of the past, and look forward to the future, never to make the same mistake again. The great state of Illinois has revovered. We have come back more united together as a state. The New Land of Lincoln is a land of opportunity and freedom."

Excerpt from former Governor of Illinois James R. Thompson's speech at the 30th Anniversary and Rememberance Ceremony at Assembly Hall, University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GOVERNMENT OF ILLINOIS IN FEBRUARY 1984

James (Jim) R. Thompson (R), Governor
George Ryan (R), Lieutenant Governor
Jim Edgar (R), Secretary of State
Neil Hartigan (D), Attorney General
James Donnewald (D), Treasurer
Roland Burris (D), Comptroller

Chapter I

Debate and Planning

A middle school in Carbondale, Illinois
February 1, 1984

The classroom was bustling and full of commotion, as all classrooms usually are. However, this one was slightly different. This classroom was filled with GTE (Gifted and Talented Education) students. The topic of today’s discussion was the current world situation.

“Well, after watching President Reagan’s speech last night, what does everyone think about it?” asked the teacher, Mrs. Williams.

A whirlwind of voices rose to answer the question, but a single voice rose higher than the rest.

“Personally, I think that his speech is doing nothing but further escalating the tensions. While I understand that the President has a responsibility to stand firm against the Soviet Union, seeing as how we’ve apparently become the ‘world’s beacon of democracy’”-the “world’s beacon of democracy” statement was accompanied by sarcastic air quotations-“President Reagan is standing firm the wrong way. He is claiming that he wants to find a way around our current situation, but at the same time he is activating the Selective Service System in the name of ‘national readiness’”-again, sarcastic air quotations-“That excuse is just that, an excuse. It’s an excuse to begin a military buildup for the conflict that even he sees as inevitable: World War III.”

Mark Porter leaned back in his chair after finishing his statement, a smug smile on his face. Some of these people don’t know jack about what’s really happening, he thought to himself. He scanned the classroom, which was contemplating what he had just said.

A rebuttal came from Daniel Mills, who although was very intelligent, lacked the balls to stand up to someone like Mark Porter in an argument like this. Mark Porter, he thought, may be lazy and unmotivated when it comes to schoolwork, but he knows how to make an argument.

“I think,” Mills began slowly, “that we are walking a very dangerous line. The Soviet Union and the United States are holding guns to each other’s heads in the form of nuclear weapons, and neither country wants to pull the trigger. But both countries know that if the other gets nervous, they’ll pull the trigger.”

Mark was thinking of a way to respond to Daniel, but before he could, Vyacheslav Illyich Anisimov joined the conversation.

“The people of the Soviet Union are scared. A very large number, far too large to estimate, do not want any kind of war with the West. The people there are as scared as the people here. We are not all Marxists. Although we come from different backgrounds, we are one and the same.”

“Come on Commie, just because you say that makes us think we’ll take your word for it? For all we know, they preach Marx and Engels everywhere over there!” someone shouted out.

Anisimov was unfazed. He had dealt with this before. Everywhere his father had gotten a new job teaching at some university, he had gone to American schools and dealt with the jeers of “Go back to Russia!” and “Commie!” and “Bolshevik pig!” It didn’t bother him, but annoyed him. These people really believed everything they heard.

“Do you think there is a reason my father and I left the Soviet Union? Of course there is! My father worked hard for a chance for us to leave that place and come here so he could teach and so I could learn. The economy is stagnated, in some places the breadlines spill over into the next town’s breadlines. We came here for freedom and opportunity.”

Chancellor’s office
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana-Champaign metropolitan area, Illinois
February 1, 1984

At the same time as the debate raged on downstate, the heads of the executive offices of the government of Illinois were assembled in the Chancellor’s office at the University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign).

Tensions were rising in the world, and Governor Jim Thompson needed a contingency plan for his state. So, through a consensus reached with the help of his cabinet, they decided to pay a visit to Chancellor John E. Cribbet.

Chancellor Cribbet didn’t know for sure why the government of Illinois was coming to him now, but had a pretty good guess about it.
“So, Governor Thompson, to what do I owe this visit?”

“Chancellor, as you obviously know, tensions between our country and the Soviet Union are at an all-time high. In the past few months, I’ve started preparing Illinois for the worst result possible: nuclear war.”

Cribbet nodded as Thompson spoke. He had been doing the same at the University, but definitely not to the level that Thompson had been doing across the state. He had sent a message out to all the deans a few weeks ago, telling them to start doing light preparation for a nuclear war. Better to be safe than sorry, thought Cribbet.

Thompson went on, “I’ve come to you today to ask for your help and cooperation in this matter. In the event of the nuclear destruction of Springfield-of which I’m almost assured will happen-then I would like to move the emergency government of Illinois to this university, assuming it has not been hit as well.”

“What will you need to set up your emergency government here?” asked Cribbet.

“We’ll need housing for everyone here,” Thompson gestured around the room at the rest of the executive officials of Illinois, “and a few rooms which can serve as a command post for us.”

“I’ll see what I can dredge up, living space and a command post will be hard to set up without the rest of the university asking just what the hell I’m doing.”

Governor Thompson nodded in approval.

“Good,” he said, “I’ve already started to close down all of the Abraham Lincoln sites in Springfield and I’ve started moving the artifacts out of town. You can never be too careful about a thing like nuclear war. I’ll probably move them here once everything is set up.”

“That sounds fine, Governor Thompson. I’ll have to let the University President and a few other people know about your plan, but I’ll get back to you as soon as I can get approval for it.”

“Thank you for your cooperation Chancellor.”

“Anytime, Governor Thompson.”

Last edited:
I never really got into the protect and survive series for reasons.

And then I see one with a name that clearly references my alma mater in the title. I don't know how I feel about that. Right in the feels I suppose.

Although on the plus side I am happy to see that Assembly Hall is Assembly Hall in 2014 and not the state farm center.

Abhakhazia

Banned
I never really got into the protect and survive series for reasons.

And then I see one with a name that clearly references my alma mater in the title. I don't know how I feel about that. Right in the feels I suppose.

Although on the plus side I am happy to see that Assembly Hall is Assembly Hall in 2014 and not the state farm center.

Amen to that!

I'll be following this.

Subscribed! Welcome to P&S Zoom! We've got Alaska, Illinois, and Louisiana, things are starting to get fleshed out. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Land of Lincoln survives the nuclear apocalypse!

Some parts of the USA that can't done!

Wish I could do one on Long Island, NY where I lived for 30 years, and where I was working for Grumman in 1984, but between the city, Grumman, Republic, Fairchild and New London, I'm afraid there would not been very many people left to carry on the story

State Farm paid the university something like $50 million for the naming rights didn't they? I think our university came out pretty good in that deal. :p

Also subscribed.

Chapter II

Planning for the Apocalypse
Springfield, Illinois
February 6, 1984

The executive officials of Illinois were seated at a large table, at a secret underground location in Springfield. Governor Thompson only utilized it when things got really bad, and obviously by using it everyone could tell that Thompson thought things were really bad.

"So," Thompson began, "we are here to decide upon a preliminary nuclear target list for our state."

Lieutenant Governor George Ryan spoke up. "I think it's on all of our minds that the Chicagoland area will take a hard beating. My own personal guess is that they'll have one missile for the Loop one for the entire north side, including Evanston and Northwestern University."

"It's also pretty certain that both O'Hare and Midway Airports will be targets as well. What I'm not sure about is if they'll use some of their smaller bombs to try and take out the Interstates around the city."

"Taking out the Interstates is a waste of time." said Secretary of State Jim Edgar. "They know that we'll rebuild them eventually. Another city on my own-and probably everyone else's-target list is Springfield."

Governor Thompson jumped back into the conversation. "Good point, Jim. The Soviets could attack Springfield as an attempted decapitation strike on our state government or to lower our morale by destroying all of the Abraham Lincoln sites and artifacts in the town. But I've taken steps against that. As of now, the sites are being closed and truckloads of artifacts are being sent to the University of Illinois and our newly set up command post there."

"Don't forget the Quad Cities area," said Treasurer James Donnewald. "That area is home to a lot of industry which we could use in a post-nuclear war environment. The Soviets are likely to deny us that by destroying it."

"Another good point, James. How would we acquire industrial capacity after the war?" asked Governor Thompson. "Another city on my list is Peoria. Caterpillar's world headquarters are there, and there are industrial factories in the area. We could approach Caterpillar and ask them to send some machinery down to the University."

Nods of agreement were shaken by everyone in the room.

"But wait," said Attorney General Neil Hartigan. "If we do that, why not ask the John Deere factories in the Quad Cities to send some equipment down to the University to make agriculture easier after the war?"

Thompson thought for a moment, and then responded. "We could ask for a few of the machines necessary for reconstruction and rebuilding our state, copy the blueprints, and then build more ourselves. Sending all of those machines to the University would attract a lot of attention."

Again, nods of agreement were shaken by everyone.

"What about military targets?" asked Comptroller Roland Burris.

"For starters, there's Great Lakes Naval Station. Since it's the Navy's only boot camp, you have to figure that it would be a target. That being said, Waukegan will probably suffer some damage too." answered George Ryan.

"There's also Scott and Chanute Air Force Bases. Scott is the one that I'm more sure about, because it has a 10,000 foot runway and a 8,000 foot runway. Chanute is more of a technical training site, but I wouldn't rule it out." said Jim Edgar.

"Jim brings up a good point. What about National Guard bases?" asked Governor Thompson. The list, and Thompson's worries, kept growing larger and larger.

"I'll get a list of those, along with possible targets, on your desk in no more than 2 days." volunteered Jim Edgar.

"Once Jim gets me that list, we need to have another meeting to plan for the industrial and agricultural situation." said Thompson. "Let's get to it people! We have a lot of work to do and very little time to do it."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The clock is ticking, thought Thompson later that night, but how long until I run out of time?

The Land of Lincoln is under the gun

Last edited:
Nuclear targets in Illinois

I'm still deciding on a final list for nuclear targets in Illinois, but here's what I'm thinking so far:

Certain targets

Chicagoland area
O'Hare and Midway Airports
Quad Cities area
Springfield
Scott Air Force Base
Peoria
Great Lakes Naval Station

Possible targets

Joliet
Rockford
Bloomington-Normal area
Chanute Air Force Base

Are there any other places in Illinois that would be targeted? The places in the "Certain targets" list are the ones I've thought of so far, with the places in the "Possible targets" list being the ones that I'm unsure of. What other places, including Army/National Guard and population centers, would be hit?

I'm still deciding on a final list for nuclear targets in Illinois, but here's what I'm thinking so far:

Certain targets

Chicagoland area
O'Hare and Midway Airports
Quad Cities area
Springfield
Scott Air Force Base
Peoria
Great Lakes Naval Station

Possible targets

Joliet
Rockford
Bloomington-Normal area
Chanute Air Force Base

Are there any other places in Illinois that would be targeted? The places in the "Certain targets" list are the ones I've thought of so far, with the places in the "Possible targets" list being the ones that I'm unsure of. What other places, including Army/National Guard and population centers, would be hit?
Why Springfield!?!
Its a relatively small town compared to the major areas such as Rockford, Joliet, and Chicago.

Why Springfield!?!
Its a relatively small town compared to the major areas such as Rockford, Joliet, and Chicago.

Three reasons.

1. Springfield is the state capital, as BrianD said
2. Springfield is also a major historical center, not only for Illinois, but for the nation. Abraham Lincoln's house and a plethora of historical artifacts that are associated with him are located there. Lincoln is also buried there.
3. Springfield also has an airport which is home to a base for the Illinois Air National Guard

My thinking is that Springfield, being the state capital and a historical center, will be targeted over towns like Joliet and Rockford, which don't really have any industry and/or other important facilities in and around those cities.

I also just realized that Peoria has an Air National Guard Base as well, which further assures that Peoria will be targeted

Abhakhazia

Banned
Three reasons.

1. Springfield is the state capital, as BrianD said
2. Springfield is also a major historical center, not only for Illinois, but for the nation. Abraham Lincoln's house and a plethora of historical artifacts that are associated with him are located there. Lincoln is also buried there.
3. Springfield also has an airport which is home to a base for the Illinois Air National Guard

My thinking is that Springfield, being the state capital and a historical center, will be targeted over towns like Joliet and Rockford, which don't really have any industry and/or other important facilities in and around those cities.

I also just realized that Peoria has an Air National Guard Base as well, which further assures that Peoria will be targeted

Well I just hope that the bomb misses and lands in a field somewhere in Logan County...

Chapter II-Part II

Planning for the Apocalypse

Springfield, Illinois
February 8, 1984

2 days later, Jim Edgar found himself sitting in the Governor's office in Springfield. Governor Thompson had wanted to keep this military meeting between him, Edgar, and Lieutenant Governor George Ryan.

A map of Illinois had been set up in Thompson's office, and Edgar went and stood by it.

"Over the past 2 days, I've been compiling a list of important Illinois Army National Guard bases in Illinois." said Edgar. "One particular group of soldiers stood out to me: the 66th Brigade Combat Team's Headquarters are in Urbana. I think this gives us more incentive to move to the University as soon as possible, because then we can warn the 66th BCT and have them prepare." said Edgar, as he circled and filled in the Urbana-Champaign area.

Quiet murmurs of agreement were exchanged between Thompson and Ryan.

"That's a smart plan," said Governor Thompson, "but what about other Army National Guard units in the area?"

"The 766th Engineer Battalion and an Aviation Support Facility are located in Decatur," continued Edgar. "there's an armory in Danville and another armory in Paris, but that's it for Army National Guard facilities immediately surrounding the University."

"At least we'll have guns and troops if we need them." remarked George Ryan.

"There's also an armory near Carbondale, which is home to Southern Illinois University. We could contact them and bring them in on our continuity of government plan. It would help to have 2 areas in the state where we can project our power from." said Edgar.

"What if we split up our cabinet and send half to Urbana-Champaign and the University there and send the other half downstate to Carbondale to run a second co-government at the University there? That way, if one group is killed by whatever cause, the other can take control of the emergency government." said Ryan.

"I'll have to think about that," said Thompson, "but you may be on to something there, George. The problem then becomes deciding who goes to which University."

"Going back to the National Guard, what Air National Guard forces and facilities do we have available?" asked Thompson.

"Well, the 126th Air Refueling Wing is stationed at Scott Air Force Base, which we're assuming will be hit. The 182nd Airlift Wing is stationed at Peoria Air National Guard Base, which we're also assuming will be hit too, and finally there's the 183rd Fighter Wing in Springfield." said Edgar.

"So what you're telling me is that if all 3 of those sites get hit, we'll effectively lose almost all of our fighter aircraft?" asked an astounded Ryan. "We'll have no control over the skies?"

"Possibly, but from what I remember, Chanute Air Force Base in Rantoul could have some aircraft available. I'll have to look into Chanute and see what they have stationed there." said Edgar. "I've also readdressed the targeting list-here's the revised copy."

Edgar slid a sheet of paper across the desk to Thompson, who glanced at it and wrote in some annotations. He then slid the paper back across the desk to Edgar.

"Thank you for all of that information Jim. I've scheduled another meeting for tomorrow to discuss our agricultural and industrial situation." said Thompson.

The meeting concluded, and the trio walked out of Thompson's office, all worried about what was to come.

REVISED LIST

NUCLEAR TARGETING FOR THE STATE OF ILLINOIS BY THE SOVIET UNION

THOMPSON'S NOTES IN RED

CHICAGOLAND AREA-AURORA, NAPERVILLE, KENOSHA, EVANSTON, GARY/HAMMOND, AND CITY OF CHICAGO ITSELF WHAT ARE WE DOING TO PREPARE CHICAGO? ADDRESS THIS ISSUE
PEORIA-CITY AND AIR NATIONAL GUARD BASE
SPRINGFIELD-AIRPORT AND POSSIBLY CITY CONTINUE MOVING LINCOLN ARTIFACTS OUT AND KEEP SENDING THEM TO THE UNIVERSITY
GREAT LAKES NAVAL STATION
O'HARE AND MIDWAY AIRPORTS WHAT OTHER AIRPORTS WILL WE HAVE AVAILABLE POST-NUCLEAR WAR?
QUAD CITIES
SCOTT AIR FORCE BASE

CHANUTE AIR FORCE BASE? CHECK CHANUTE
JOLIET? UNLIKELY
ROCKFORD? POSSIBLY, BUT UNLIKELY
ELGIN? HIGHLY UNLIKELY
BLOOMINGTON-NORMAL AREA? HIGHLY UNLIKELY
URBANA-CHAMPAIGN AREA? HIGHLY UNLIKELY, BUT IF HIT, MOVE TO CARBONDALE

ANSWER MY QUESTIONS AND REVISE THE LIST-I NEED A NEW LIST VERY SOON
-GOV. THOMPSON

Last edited:
Well, you've officially screwed over TTL me before he is even born by wiping out his parents before they even meet. That is, unless they make it out of Springfield and somehow end up in the same city.