Gaddafi never cancels the nuclear program?

In 2003, Libya's long-running nuclear program, active since the 80's, was decommisioned by Gaddafi as part of Libya's disarmament program to normalize relations with the US. What would happen if Gaddafi had another streak of irrationality and didn't choose to disarm. The program's research was accelerating at the time of its decommision. Do you think it would have been enough to create a nuclear bomb before the civil war? And would Gaddafi be bugfuck crazy enough to nuke Benghazi when it was the center of rebellion? And if he was, then what would the effects of it be?

If he doesn't cancel it, somebody will. look at what Israel did when Syria and Iraq were working on a nuclear program, and apply that to Libya.

I think---and that's just what I think, I have no means of course to know if this is really what went down--but Im thinking Gadaffi saw what was going on with Iraq and the WMD situation, saw that he would very possibly be in the Runner Up list, and, crazy as he was, saw a pragmatic deal when he saw one, in a a bid of showing "look, guys, we don't have or want those evil bad nuclear weapons, honest!" I mean, it seem thats the way it worked at least. Kinda of a 'no reason to keep them, but every reason to get rid of them' and build credit for international goodwill....of course, as we now know fat lot of good that did, as clearly he was done-in from within rather than without :eek::cool:

In 2003, Libya's long-running nuclear program, active since the 80's, was decommisioned by Gaddafi as part of Libya's disarmament program to normalize relations with the US. What would happen if Gaddafi had another streak of irrationality and didn't choose to disarm. The program's research was accelerating at the time of its decommision. Do you think it would have been enough to create a nuclear bomb before the civil war? And would Gaddafi be bugfuck crazy enough to nuke Benghazi when it was the center of rebellion? And if he was, then what would the effects of it be?
I seriously doubt he gets a nuke by the time of the rebellion. Iran had a much more promising nuclear program, and still isn't there; I seriously doubt Libya would get one in time. That's ignoring the possibility of earlier foreign intervention alluded to above.

If he does somehow get a nuke and use it, then say goodbye to Gaddafi; the rest of the world (and especially the major powers) have enough invested in the unspoken ban on nuclear weapons use to come down hard on anyone trying to use one. No one is going to defend that.

The late-1990s rapprochement with the West would be dramatically reversed, and Gaddafi would probably face an uprising or be invaded before the 2004 election.
Thus the OTL choice.

So I hear, but I also hear they made it ambiguous to keep the Saudi's happy? or something like that?

the point is that the final product isn't supposed to be any actual country. occasional maps use points all over the Middle East: one's on the Red Sea, one's in the Saudi highlands, one's in Kuwait, etc.

sharlin

Banned
If he didn't cancel the programme then Israel would cancel it for him with a flight of F-15's and some Paveways.

Had Gaddafi push his nuclear bomb program.
He would be on number one on "Terrorist Nation we want to attack right now" of US NATO Israel

Gaddafi had piss off EVERY nation in world he even declare war to Switzerland !
he extorted the british government with weapon shipment to IRA, only after payments Gaddafi stop Shipment to IRA and stopped training of IRA terrorist in Libya
i think that Gaddafi would start also nuclear extortion.

but let face it, the moment Libya had detonate there first nuke in desert.
USA and it's NATO partners, Israel with Arabic league and Switzerland, would have declare War on Libya and bomb it into stone age...

But speaking about his own delusions and madness I'm sure if he has nukes ready Gaddafi will be suicidal enough to use it immediately against Israel target

Heck this is the guy who ordered his own people to be immediately killed when they still protest peacefully

Ever read the book The Fifth Horseman? It involves Libya and their nuclear program. It is a very well researched novel.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, why are we taking this seriously?

This is Libya. This was a country so short on technical skills of any sort, that they had to fly in service-people from Italy to keep their repairs in order.

Quaddaffi's Libya was unable to train and maintain enough mechanics and technicians to keep their conventional war machines running.

It was a country of less than six million people, and required migrant workers to maintain its oil industry.

This is a country which has a credible nuclear program? No chance. It existed mostly in the minds of Quaddaffi and a handful of scaremongers.