TLIAD: From The Ashes

From The Ashes…
A BRITISH POLITICS TLIAD
Nazis-in-London_468x748.jpg
Oh superb…

What?

You’re doing another TLIAD?

Yes; I enjoyed doing the few I did last year and I got good feedback on them.

Still trying to make an ‘in’ with the politibrits?

…Shut up.

Is this just going to be a Nazi-edition of Meadow’s frankly superior and masterful Soviet Britain TLIAD?

I thought I was the one trying to cosy up with the politibrits?

You’re avoiding the question-

It’s inspired by the idea behind it, I’ll say that much.

I’m not hearing a no…

I’m not saying a yes.

Go on then.

Pardon?

Impress me.
Or try to.

attachment.php
1940-1942: E. F. L. Wood, Earl of Halifax (Conservative-led National Government)
An architect of appeasement who sought to save Britain
Following the outbreak of hostilities between Germany and allied nations of Great Britain, France & Poland in September of 1939, the war seemed to be working in the German’s favour. After successfully invading Poland and conquering the western half, with the eastern half invaded and occupied by the Soviet Union, Germany sat on its spoils before making its next move. Most military commanders and politicians at the time expected a near-repeat of the Great War, in so far that Germany would attempt to invade France but fail and another war of attrition would commence in Europe. However the speed and success of the Wehrmacht’s Blitzkrieg tactics were so immense that fear seemed to grip some of the more peace-inclined ministers amongst the various national governments.

The hammer strike against France did not arrive though; instead it was turned against the Scandinavian nations of Denmark and Norway. Denmark fell swiftly without any true means of defending itself against the German war machine. Norway’s distance seemed to provide a more adequate defence in stark contrast to its now fallen southern ally. An Allied expedition to aid in Norway’s defence was organised and sent out to the beleaguered nation. This fateful expedition is now considering to be a major turning point in the war.

The utter failure of the expedition and its near-total loss of men and material would end the premiership of Neville Chamberlain. Forced to accept a vote of no-confidence against him, the decision was left in his hands of whom to suggest as a possible successor. Eventually he would to the decision to suggest a fellow follower of appeasement rather than one of his more notable and vocal opponents. King George VI would subsequently call upon Edward Wood, Earl of Halifax to form a National Government to best govern the nation and the Empire itself in this time of war.

As a first measure to counter his critics who called that he would immediately seek terms of peace with Hitler, Halifax would send large numbers of the British Army and military to France to help bolster its own defence. Whilst this move seemed to silence many of his critics, it was more of a political than practical decision. This was made in tandem with Halifax’s request that the Royal Navy should be poised to begin a total defence along the British coastline in its entirety and across all of its merchant shipping lanes. Well aware of the vulnerability of being an island nation, short of invasion and occupation, starvation was the best means of gaining victory over Britain.

Churchill, the alternative choice to Halifax as Prime Minister in the minds of many, decried these moves stating, ‘Although the Prime Minister wishes to defend us with our best abilities, stretching oneself thin does not strengthen but weaken us.’ Halifax replied to this; ‘Until we can precisely predict Herr Hitler’s next move, all we can do prepare totally for all possible courses of action.’ Churchill would in turn respond; ‘I foresee rocks on that course, Prime Minister. And they are not in Hitler’s way, but ours.

The Battle of France during the spring of 1940 would be a military and morale victory for Germany over the Allied nations. With the fall of Paris in July, the French government moved to Bordeaux, however many knew it would only be a matter of time before the nation fell to total German conquest. As the days and weeks passed, the Anglo-French forces would find themselves encircled and destroyed by the German Blitzkrieg that had already swept through the remnants of Western Europe. France’s eventual surrender in September, almost a year and a week after the war had started, left Britain alone in the conflict.

With much of her Army and equipment lost during the lengthy but ultimately futile defence of France, Britain was forced to rely more heavily on her Dominions and colonies. The Royal Navy was forced to become a mobile defence network for the convoy of supply ships now steaming into every port city available. What is known by some historians as the Battle of Britain, but commonly referred to as the Defence of Britain, was beginning. Rather than a fight of invasion, this was to become what many thought the fight in France was to be; a lengthy battle of attrition in the modern-age of warfare.

With large parts of the Royal Navy confined to her maritime shipping defence, the main shield of the nation turned to her air force instead. The RAF, keen to prove itself against the now formidable Luftwaffe, was poised to shoot down as many fighters and bombers that Goering was ready to release over the skies of Britain. Or at least this was how the propaganda at the time portrayed the RAF. In truth, it was a vastly understaffed and poorly organised mess that could not cope with the scale of the aerial attacks Goering would send.

The attacks on airfield and air bases across the southern half of Britain was carefully planned and executed. After several months of these continuous attacks, much of the RAF was forced to be redeployed father north, out of range of the He-111 and Ju-88 attacks that had devastated southern England. One notable incident was the accidental bombing of a civilian location, London, during December 1940. An isolated incident, the attempted reprisals for the attack would see the loss of two bomber squadrons over the North Sea in January of the next year. With German aerial superiority over southern England now established, British shipping was forced to move farther north as well and into the less defendable waters of the northern Atlantic.

The rationing within wartime Britain was already difficult prior to the aerial success of Germany, however the harsh winter weather meant that fewer ships were arriving in British ports during early 1941. By March, many of the large urban areas were abandoned by their populations who began mass-exoduses into the surrounding countryside to try and find or grow their own food. Only the few industrial and military cities of London, Portsmouth, Plymouth, and Bristol continued their wartime work in the south. The British Government, still operating in London at the time, began making contingency plans for an evacuation of London and potentially Britain itself.

These plans would come into effect during the late summer of 1941. With Britain now seemingly-starving and on its knees, Germany launched Operation Kraken; a test operation for a large-scale amphibious invasion of Britain. A group of soldiers were brought close to the British coastline near Kent via U-boat and ordered to attempt to seize control of the naval facility there. To the surprise of the soldier and their commanders, the operation was a success. Although miniscule in scale to the planned operation, the German were able to use the radio equipment to disrupt and intercept messages pertaining to the local naval defences.

Operation Sea Lion was launched on 11th September 1941 and would see the beginning of the end for the British Empire. With the Royal Navy spread thin and concentrated more on Britain’s survival than military defence, the Kriegsmarine were able to make great success in their invasion across much of the southern coast of England. With the poorly-equipped and still under-trained army left to defend the nation, Britain did her best to defend itself against the technically-superior Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe.

With the loss of London in November, the British Government moved to Liverpool. However, this was only a temporary measure as they began Operation Avalon; the evacuation of the British Government. The Royal Family had already been evacuated to Canada in 1940 after the defence of southern England from bomber aircraft had become untenable, however now the Government was completing their plans to follow them. The evacuation was completed by March of the next year as German forces had marched over most of England, Wales and parts of southern Scotland. With the fall of Britain, Germany stood triumphant over Europe. The war was not yet won though.

Much like their puppet regime France, now able to govern from Paris following the capitulation of Britain, a new regime was required to govern in Britain. Hitler did not wish to rule Britain as a conquered nation but as an ally, albeit a junior ally in their war against Bolshevism. Although hostilities against the Soviet Union had not yet commenced, the love lost between to the two totalitarian European powers had become frosty after Stalin’s conquest of Finland in 1940. What Germany needed in Britain was a man to unite the people and build Britain up, at least until a more fitting master could be placed in charge, whilst obeyed Berlin. And just a man existed.

Thank you for the kind words about Meet The New Boss. I'm intrigued by this already, and your writing style is engaging and detailed. I do have to admit I'm hoping you don't use Mosley - he was distrusted by the Nazis IOTL, which is why I sidelined him in the Nazi bit of MTNB, and there are also some much more interesting choices out there. However, it's your TL(IAD) and I will read whatever you post next.

Can't wait for more, I'm gripped.

attachment.php
1942-1945: David Lloyd George (National Unity Government)
A great statesman turned puppet
With the defeat of Britain, the occupying forces were left to form a new government to best administer the nation whilst still answerable to Berlin and their demands. A provisional government was then formed under the leadership of former Prime Minister David Lloyd George. As a man already sympathetic to Hitler and the rise of Germany, as well as being a man whom many in Britain would see with respect and gravitas, it was thought he would be able to achieve the revitalisation of Britain as a power and enough to win over the remnants of her Empire. This, however, was not the case.

As part of Operation Avalon, the British Government-in-exile in Ottawa were still formally administering their former colonies and had the support of the British Empire’s dominions. The only territories to dispute this claim were the Kingdom of Egypt, now declaring her independence and seeking diplomatic relations with the Axis Powers and the overseas territories of Gibraltar and Malta which had now been evacuated and subsequently occupied by Spain and Italy respectively.

Germany began to turn her attention to the East and started to mover her forces towards the eastern border with the USSR. Plans drawn up years before were being revised as the Third Reich prepared itself for the greatest invasion the world had ever seen. In the meantime though, Germany started to rebuild her new allies.

Many of the British soldiers captured during the Battle of France were returned home where they would be formed into the British National Army. Surplus and previous equipment and weapons used by the German armed forces was given over the new British military, although a strict code was maintained that the military was only nominally-independent. Although de jure it was an independent fighting force, it was de facto little more than a branch of the German military machine. The image of national identity and independence was key to keeping the occupied population happy though. In 1943, Edward VIII was re-crowned as the King of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland to a comparatively modest fanfare in London, still rebuilding following its destruction during the Defence of Britain and its fall during Operation Sea Lion.

London, still the official capital, remained largely in ruins though. The new government was instead leading from Manchester, one of the few cities to be relatively unscathed by the Wehrmacht. The main priority of Lloyd George was restoring the nation’s food and ending the starvation crisis was still affected much of the country. Despite appealing to his new allies, the major Axis Powers were only willing to send small amounts of poor quality food and nourishment. Already in a dismal and desperate situation, Lloyd George began a radical and extreme programme of agricultural cultivation. As much of Britain’s countryside would be transformed into farmland and even inner city areas would become large arable and pastoral farming areas.

As the food crisis began to lessen, the strengthening of Britain’s military had also started to improve. By 1944, Great Britain was comparatively sustainable and well-defended although at the expense of her national freedom and democracy. Once stability had been restored, Lloyd George began making preparations for national elections to take place. Although this never left the planning stages of his own private diaries, it was enough for the whispers to reach occupying SS-GB forces that a major crackdown on the British Government to bring them back into line.

Lloyd George was not a man who enjoyed being told what to do, however he was left in a position he was unable to argue from. When Operation Barbarossa began in 1944, Britain was forced to send much of her new military to war once more against an enemy that many genuinely feared. The campaign in the East, although mostly directed and controlled by Berlin, seemed initially like a distant worry for Britain. It was only as the bodies of fallen soldiers and her national wealth was slowly drained away to pay for Hitler’s Lebensraum that the effects began to take hold.

It was during this time, called ‘The Troubles’ by modern historians, that terrorist actions within Britain began to take place against the Lloyd George Government. Already strained thanks to the war, public opinion and pressure was pushed closer and closer to riots and rebellion. When Stanley Baldwin, Chancellor of the Exchequer, was killed from a car bomb in late 1944, martial law was declared across all of London. The SS-GB become the dominant power within the capital; roaming and killing almost at will.

The British Resistance, slowly growing since 1942, was starting to unfurl itself by trying to weaken the puppet regime. Tragedy would strike though, in late December 1944, when part of their network operating in Plymouth was discovered leading to a massacre of 145 people, including notable members such as Michael Foot and Ian Fleming. The assassination of Baldwin would remain their most successful attack against the Lloyd George government however. As the presence and power of the SS-GB and the BUF grew from the civil insurrection, Lloyd George was forced to become not only a puppet to Berlin but also to his own cabinet.

Oswald Mosley, leader of the British Union of Fascists, had managed to place himself as Home Secretary under Lloyd George; a position that allowed him great influence and power under the great statesman’s premiership. It was under Mosley that the revitalisation of Britain’s agriculture had been organised and enforced, and his control over the country’s media meant he was able to effectively manipulate his own appearance and importance to the population.

By 1945, the Soviet Union seemed on the verge of collapse as German soldiers attacked Moscow and Anglo-Finnish forces liberated Helsinki. The Axis powers in Europe seemed ascendant, whilst Britain was blighted by a continuing civil terrorist problem that was only being felt by another unwilling member of the Axis; Petain’s France. Lloyd George, growing tired and weary of this nightmare was preparing to send a message to begin negotiations with the Resistance when he suffered a fatal heart attack and died at his desk in Downing Street, only three weeks after moving back into the official residence.

His body was not discovered until the following morning and the original copy of the letter being written was removed and destroyed by SS-GB forces. It is only from photographs taken at the time during the investigation that the letter is known to have existed. Mosley, upon hearing the news of Lloyd George’s death, immediately requested to Berlin that he be permitted to form a new government that would not deviate from their model. Berlin was less content to allow Mosley control of their nation; he was not truly trusted despite his apparent effectiveness in his position.

Despite this, it was days until an official successor to Lloyd George was put into place, and in the interim Mosley was Acting-Prime Minister of Great Britain. It was upon the announcement and installing of the new Prime Minister that led to Mosley’s downfall.

F@*&ing Halifax :mad:
Im intrested by the way :D

Thank you very much :)

Are Edward and Wallis going to be installed as the new monarchy?

All explained in the latest update - I'll try to go into more detail about it in the next one as well.

Thank you for the kind words about Meet The New Boss. I'm intrigued by this already, and your writing style is engaging and detailed. I do have to admit I'm hoping you don't use Mosley - he was distrusted by the Nazis IOTL, which is why I sidelined him in the Nazi bit of MTNB, and there are also some much more interesting choices out there. However, it's your TL(IAD) and I will read whatever you post next.

Can't wait for more, I'm gripped.

You're very welcome :D I had to include him somewhere ITTL, as you'll be able to see, but I will admit he was my initial first choice if only for simplicity. After looking about a bit though, I think I found a better option and I hope it's one you'll agree with.

And thank you very kindly.

Ooh, great minds! I used Lloyd George in Meet The New Boss. He is a very good choice - as is Chancellor Baldwin. That generation of men who would do anything for peace and continuity.

I do like the image of Michael Foot with a Sten gun, but I fear his death will not be the last punch in the stomach that this 'Nazi victory' TL delivers. Did you happen to see my own attempt at a list of German Fuhrers some weeks ago? It was basically a piece of parallelism about the Soviet Union, but with a bit more thought put into it than Turtledove.

With Fleming dead their are now only two people who can be trusted to liberate our isles.

The rugged ex-RAF pilot turned commando Tony Benn
The Poetic Intelligence officer Enoch Powell

Can these two men with completely different views for the future band together and deliver the final death blow to the greatest threat Britain has ever seen?

Ooh, great minds! I used Lloyd George in Meet The New Boss. He is a very good choice - as is Chancellor Baldwin. That generation of men who would do anything for peace and continuity.

I do like the image of Michael Foot with a Sten gun, but I fear his death will not be the last punch in the stomach that this 'Nazi victory' TL delivers. Did you happen to see my own attempt at a list of German Fuhrers some weeks ago? It was basically a piece of parallelism about the Soviet Union, but with a bit more thought put into it than Turtledove.

I seemed like the best idea for an interim leader, although it was also because he seemed so perfect in MTNB I couldn't really resist it.

It hurt me to type those words out - Michael Foot is amongst my great political heroes. Hopefully I'll be able to make it up on some ways though. I did see it actually and very much enjoyed it - I do like a good bit of parallelism, especially if executed well as that was done.

This looks wonderful (and terrifying, obviously). Subscribed.

And the terror will on grow from here...

With Fleming dead there are now only two people who can be trusted to liberate our isles.

Can these two men with completely different views for the future band together and deliver the final death blow to the greatest threat Britain has ever seen?

Now that sounds like a film/TV series I want to see.

With Fleming dead their are now only two people who can be trusted to liberate our isles.

Don't forget about Christopher Lee, the saviour of the Finns! :p

I must have missed that, linky?

Also this is great stuff, nice counterpart to "Meet The New Boss" and "The Limpid Stream".

Looking good so far.

Only critique I have is the use of Baldwin. I just can't see him
a) siding with Lloyd George, or
b) aligning himself with a Nazi-aligned government. He was generally very moderate and disliked both the extreme left and the extreme right.
Certainly, he was involved in appeasement of Germany pre-war, but that was mostly because the British public had little appetite for war. Baldwin, contrary to all the propaganda about him was responsible for Britain's early rearmament and expansion of the RAF. While Labour, the Liberals and most Conservatives were pining for disarmament, Baldwin was preparing for war.

also, I think he is just too old to be Chancellor...

A better Chancellor might be someone like John Simon

Sorry minor nitpick about Baldwin, Guilty Men has rather unfairly spoiled his reputation.

attachment.php
1945-1952: John Amery (British Union of Fascists)
A loyal servant and bloody tyrant
A name that still inspires fear in the hearts of a generation of Britons, John Amery came to be one of the most ruthless and brutal leaders amongst the Axis. When initially placed as Prime Minister, having undergone the formalities of being invited to Buckingham Palace by Edward VIII to form a government after being selected by Berlin, he was a vocal supporter of the status quo. An effective public speaker, he was able to rally the crowds to his causes and gain public support to most of his policies and campaigns without issue.

His consolidation of power began with the removal of Oswald Mosley as Home Secretary, being replaced by William Joyce, and placing Mosley as Minister of Agriculture. Mosley’s ego, already self-inflated following his acting role as Prime Minister during the interim of Lloyd George’s death, did not take the decision well. Striving to prove himself, he sought to push the agricultural campaign begun under Amery’s predecessor to a new level by the growing of versatile and varying crops. This decision, requiring the destruction of large areas of already fruitful farmland, resulted in a new food crisis in parts of the country.

This public failure at the cost of thousands gave Amery the mandate to remove Mosley from office. Following this, the former party leader would be arrested by Auxiliary Squad forces on charges of trying to insight civil disobedience and overthrow the government. His trial and subsequent execution was overshadowed by the announcement that the Soviet Union had requested an armistice following the capture of Moscow in July 1945.

As the war in the East drew to a close, Amery found his nation in a stronger position than he’d found it in. Experienced and battle-hardened soldiers returning home and good relations with his European counterparts gave the Prime Minister confidence to begin closely following the model of Hitler’s Germany rather than Petain’s France. This began with the dismantling of the legal and court system until it had become totally dominated and controlled by the BUF. His next stage was to complete what Lloyd George had failed to do; eliminate the threat of the Resistance.

Unafraid to get his hands bloody, Amery had Joyce begin a nationwide crackdown of potential Resistance holdouts and sympathisers. Over the years that it encompassed, untold hundreds of thousands would be tortured and hundreds of innocents executed for ‘crimes against the state’. The Prime Minister used this as an excuse to eliminate any potential threats to his position within the party at the same time; all potential rivals were removed and sent to concentration camps in the Highlands where they were forced to hard labour in terrible living conditions. Most would not survive this ordeal.

By 1948, Britain had become a totalitarian state modelled utterly on Germany. Her military had become a lean, powerful force that was thought to be second only to Germany herself. Power was kept solely in the hands of the party faithful and any question was eliminated swiftly and brutally. Only once this had been achieved did Amery begin his ‘trade deals’ with Germany; the deportation of Britain’s Jewish population.

Amery’s speeches about the internal threats the nation must be aware of and deal with always contained anti-Semitic messages, however direct action had never been actively called for. Under the 1946 Race Laws, Jews were required to live in designated areas outside of the major population areas; little more than work camps that were expected to hold hundreds, if not thousands. Whilst such prejudices had grown under Amery, the vast majority of the population was either apathetic to the plight of the Jews or too terrified of the State itself to argue.

In June 1948, Amery sent his Foreign Secretary Jeffrey Hamm to Berlin to begin a series of negotiations with Berlin to permit an increase in Britain’s military capacity and possible expansion of her territories. By August a deal had been reached; this would granted and supported in exchange for Britain’s Jewish population to be moved to German-administered areas in the East. Once the autumn had ended, it was believed that the Jewish population of Britain had been removed. It was not until April 1949 that saw the promises Amery had asked for come to pass.

Following the deployment of forces in Ulster and across Northern Ireland, British forces began the invasion and subjugation of Ireland. Sought after by Amery as a consolidation of fascist rule across all of the British Isles, it was the first deployment of the new British military alongside the new jet-powered aircraft licence-built from Germany. Although there was outcry from the United States and the British Government-in-exile, there was little that any nation could do; all of Europe was now allied with Germany, which supported Britain, whilst Ireland under de Valera had pursued a policy of neutrality with the Nazi regime.

It served as a reminder for the free world of the power that the Munich Bloc was capable of great military strength. Ireland formally surrendered on April 29th 1949 after a British Blitzkrieg had swept across most of the nation. Its reincorporation into the United Kingdom would not be formalised until the following year, during which time it was placed under military occupation.

Although a terrorist campaign to free Ireland began in the days immediately following the invasion, the BUF and Auxiliary Squad forces were able to destroy any potential networks from developing using tactics they had developed during the early years of Amery’s rule. Not long after victory in Ireland though, was the Munich Bloc struck by tragedy.

On May 17th 1949, Adolf Hitler passed away. A shock would be felt across Europe as the question of his successor was left an open question. In the immediacy of his death, it was felt that a civil war would erupt in Germany between the Wehrmacht and the SS; entire nations were soon covertly courted to support various sides in this potential struggle. Amery, finding a kindred spirit with Reichsführer Himmler, was pledged to support the SS in any possible conflict. Crisis was averted though following the rise of Goebbels as the new Führer, creating a stalemate between the two factions.

Amery would continue his policies of total political and legal control of the nation, mirroring his role model and idol Hitler in every guise that he could. It would be in October 1952, however, when Amery would suffer for his brutal and bloody rule.

Whilst exiting Downing Street, as ever guarded by Auxiliary Squad members, he was fatally shot by an unknown assailant. The identity of the man would much later be discovered to be Christopher Lee, a known member of the British Resistance at the time and trained by the British Government-in-exile as a counter-intelligence spy.

London was once again placed under martial law in an attempt to kind the assassin, however this ultimately failed. In the aftermath, it was thought that William Joyce would assume the position of Prime Minister as he’d served the length of Amery’s premiership as Home Secretary without fault or failure. However, rather than be dictated by Berlin, Edward VIII instead took the initiative in inviting his choice for Prime Minister; the relatively unknown Chancellor of the Exchequer.

iddt3

Donor
So are we handwaving away the issues with Sealion or is there a much further back POD here?

Looking good so far.

Only critique I have is the use of Baldwin. I just can't see him
a) siding with Lloyd George, or
b) aligning himself with a Nazi-aligned government. He was generally very moderate and disliked both the extreme left and the extreme right.
Certainly, he was involved in appeasement of Germany pre-war, but that was mostly because the British public had little appetite for war. Baldwin, contrary to all the propaganda about him was responsible for Britain's early rearmament and expansion of the RAF. While Labour, the Liberals and most Conservatives were pining for disarmament, Baldwin was preparing for war.

also, I think he is just too old to be Chancellor...

A better Chancellor might be someone like John Simon

Sorry minor nitpick about Baldwin, Guilty Men has rather unfairly spoiled his reputation.

I think you're probably right on that actually, so I've made the according changes. Glad to hear that you're liking it otherwise though.

I must have missed that, linky?

Also this is great stuff, nice counterpart to "Meet The New Boss" and "The Limpid Stream".

Here you go.

Thanks very much - I'm honoured to placed alongside those TLs.

His old man could be the one that brings the group together and leads the Second Glorious Revolution
EDIT: his dad being a high up intelligence officer

I think you're going to like this update then.

So are we handwaving away the issues with Sealion or is there a much further back POD here?

It's a bit of both really; I've tried to cover part of by having Halifax mishandle the war by placing the Royal Navy on babysitting duty with the merchant shipping & spreading it out too thin whilst making the Luftwaffe win the BoB. It's a combination of British ineptitude and mishandling coupled with a greater aptitude and success for the Germans.