What if Guinness was Welsh?

When he first thought about brewing, Arthur Guinness looked at a site in Wales for his brewery (near Cardiff I think) but in the end he opted for Dublin.

Lets say he went for the Welsh option, what would we see today-would we see a recognisable Guinness as the Welsh national drink?

They do have Welsh bitter, but I think that is an advertising ploy (I recall from a number of drunken nights in pubs in Brecon, so my memory is a bit hazy) with the Red Dragon on it.

Fellatio Nelson said:
They do have Welsh bitter, but I think that is an advertising ploy (I recall from a number of drunken nights in pubs in Brecon, so my memory is a bit hazy) with the Red Dragon on it.

AHHH, Double Dragon, my local pint when I was in Carmarthen...mind you I think it's really a south-west welsh beer (the Cardiff brew is Brains I think, no idea about north welsh beer)

Jason said:
AHHH, Double Dragon, my local pint when I was in Carmarthen...mind you I think it's really a south-west welsh beer (the Cardiff brew is Brains I think, no idea about north welsh beer)

That's it. Becomes Quadruple Dragon after a long sess on it.

Jason said:

The only one I can think of was Wrexham Lager, and that went bust.

Jason said:
When he first thought about brewing, Arthur Guinness looked at a site in Wales for his brewery (near Cardiff I think) but in the end he opted for Dublin.

Lets say he went for the Welsh option, what would we see today-would we see a recognisable Guinness as the Welsh national drink?
the Irish Economy Collapses :eek:........................

Shope

Banned
If he were Welsh, he wouldn't've gotten the financing for it--everyone knows the Welsh don't pay their debts.

Methodism was quite big in Wales, I think, in the late 18th C. Certainly very low church. Not much of a drinking culture to work with at the time, IIRC.

Probably wind up exporting it to England and it becoming the English national drink! :p

Satyrane said:
Methodism was quite big in Wales, I think, in the late 18th C. Certainly very low church. Not much of a drinking culture to work with at the time, IIRC.

Probably wind up exporting it to England and it becoming the English national drink! :p

Nahhh, much as I like Guinness, give me a pint of 'Spitfire' :D

Ahh, yes the Religious Welsh myth. Late 18th/19th Welsh society was didived into two groups-the People of the Chapel and the Pub. the Chapel bunch, well, went to Chapel and wrote about how religious the Welsh were (except those of the Pub who they didn't talk about). the Pub bunch were too busy drinking to worry about writing about themselves

Shope said:
If he were Welsh, he wouldn't've gotten the financing for it--everyone knows the Welsh don't pay their debts.

I believe the verb "to welch", i.e. not to honour a debt, derived from George IV, then the Prince of Wales, who was a notorious cunt regarding such matters, rather than the Welsh.

Welch was merely the old-fashioned spelling of Welsh. Hence "to welch on a deal" etc.

And George IV was a kraut in any case, and we all know they never pay their dues.:rolleyes: :p :D

Jason said:
Nahhh, much as I like Guinness, give me a pint of 'Spitfire' :D

Ahh, yes the Religious Welsh myth. Late 18th/19th Welsh society was didived into two groups-the People of the Chapel and the Pub. the Chapel bunch, well, went to Chapel and wrote about how religious the Welsh were (except those of the Pub who they didn't talk about). the Pub bunch were too busy drinking to worry about writing about themselves
Interesting. Sounds about right - my great uncle was a pub landlord near Newport, and he always seemed to do good business. :)