AHC Other European Colonizers in the New World

Historically England, France, Spain, Portugal, and the Netherlands were the main powers with Colonies in the New World. Other nations like Sweden and Denmark did however have a few colonies, mostly Sugar Islands in the Caribbean. I'm intersted in seeing other powers have there day in sun and establish as many colonies as possible in the New World; Both having countries like Denmark and Sweden get more colnies then in OTL and other nations like Scotland or the German states gain colonies. If Courland could do it anybody can! What would be the effects of having differant nations colonizing the New World be?

Well possibly you could have the French- Scottish alliance stay in place and became closer. They bind it with a few marriages and in later years defeat England a few times. Scotland pushes south and any Irish territories are released. In later colonizing Scotland could take some of the Canadian Islands like Nova Scotica and Newfoundland and keep them.

Scotland is in a good position it is just the English they have to worry about.

If the issues between Denmark and Sweden could (in any way) be sorted out, them being the two countries that have been in most wars against each other in the world (yes ... even more than France vs England), they would certainly have the ability to push a bit harder, maybe, in the case of Denmark use Iceland as a good port of call on the way across the Atlantic, either from Copenhagen, or more likely Bergen and/or Altona

Grey Wolf

Donor
Sweden had colonies in Delaware/NJ/Penn until they were conquered by the Dutch in the 17th century, so have Dutch politics go differently and the Swedes will coalesce.

I wonder what would have happened to the Spanish Empire had Ferdinand's son by his second wife lived and Aragon regained its independence?

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Considering the number of italian explorers, maybe a venitian colony ? I doubt the point would be colonisation per say but more as a counter to trade with the native that later expend.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Considering the number of italian explorers, maybe a venitian colony ? I doubt the point would be colonisation per say but more as a counter to trade with the native that later expend.

IMHO this requires Venice to accept Portugal's offer of warehouses in Lisbon for trade to the Far East, but that was hotly debated.

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

The Germans had colonies in Venezuela ("Klein-Venedig") from 1528 to 1546, granted to them by Charles I. In fact, they founded Maracaibo. It was just horribly mismanaged, and with the tropical diseases, it didn't last.

Perhaps if the new world was discovered slightly earlier it would be possible to have some knightly order establish a colony?

I like the idea of a Knightly order establishing a colony in the New World. Maybe the Spanish could give a small Island or a piece of land in maybe Florida to the Knights of Malta or one of the Crusading Orders in order to win Papal favor? The knights could use this as a base after Rhodes falls to the Turks and could carry out Missionary actives in the New World. What would such a Colony/Base look like?
Also A German colony in the new world would be very interesting, a wonder if it would get a large population boost of emigrants fleeing during the 30 years war?

I like the idea of a Knightly order establishing a colony in the New World. Maybe the Spanish could give a small Island or a piece of land in maybe Florida to the Knights of Malta or one of the Crusading Orders in order to win Papal favor? The knights could use this as a base after Rhodes falls to the Turks and could carry out Missionary actives in the New World. What would such a Colony/Base look like?
Also A German colony in the new world would be very interesting, a wonder if it would get a large population boost of emigrants fleeing during the 30 years war?

The Knights of Malta did have a presence in Tortuga, St. Croix, and St. Barthelemy, and St. Martin during the 17th Century.

If Norway's claims to Erik the Red's Land and the Sverdrup Islands were validated, they'd be an easy addition. Belgium attempted a colony in Santo Tomas, Guatemala during the 19th Century but it failed very quickly and its actual claim to sovereignty over the territory is questionable.

If Norway avoids the union with Denmark, I could see it being pushed westwards. Norway was always the most western-oriented of the Scandinavians, and had Greenland and knowledge of Vinland.

A Poland or Lithuania that absorbs Denmark might look outwards as well.

I never knew the Knights had a presence in the New World! I wonder if there is way for a larger, longer lasting presence. And A Polish/ Lithuanian settlement would be very different from anything in OTL in the New World. Idk much about Eastern Europe in that era, so I wonder what PODs could create a Polish colony in the Americas?

Maybe after the Spanish Hapsburg divided up America the Spanish could have the Silver and Gold rich South and Central America while they let there HRE subjects settle in OTL USA and Canada to better resist and enemy attacks and to keep America under Hapsburg domination.

TFSmith121

Banned
Russia America in northeastern North America?

The Pomors (Dezhnyov et al) go west, not east, in the 1500s and colonize across the Norwegian Sea, in the tracks of the Norse...

Iceland and Greenland are just stops alomg the way, but they run into the English and French from Newfoundland south...while the French concentrate on the St. Lawrence, and the English on the Atlantic coast, the Pomor-Russian colonists loop north or cross Labrador, and come down into the continent by way of Hudson Bay...

Best,

I'm reading this on my crappy little cell phone and may have missed this one but has Russia in a more permanent role in Alaska been mentioned yet?

SunDeep

Banned
Can you come up with PODs that would allow Russia to colonize Alaska and even into the Pacific Northwest earlier than they did OTL? At least 100 if not 200 years?

Perhaps if Vitus Bering's ship makes it further south in the 2nd Kamchatka Expedition, with the shipwreck of the Sv. Petr taking place on Vancouver Island instead of Bering Island (with OTL's Vancouver Island essentially becoming TTL's Bering Island, and OTL's Bering Island receiving a different name). Stranded on the island for a short while as IOTL, they manage to make their way back to Russia after rebuilding their boat from the wreckage far more quickly and with fewer losses than they did IOTL due to the aid of the Native Kwakwaka'wakw or Nuu-chah-nulth, and bringing far greater rewards back with them after trading with the locals, sparking greater Russian interest in settling the Pacific Northwest. As a result, early Russian settlement of the Americas ITTL primarily takes place in OTL's British Columbia instead of the Aleutian Islands, attracting far greater returns, greater investment from the Russian Empire and greater numbers of immigrants from an early stage.

Perhaps if Vitus Bering's ship makes it further south in the 2nd Kamchatka Expedition, with the shipwreck of the Sv. Petr taking place on Vancouver Island instead of Bering Island (with OTL's Vancouver Island essentially becoming TTL's Bering Island, and OTL's Bering Island receiving a different name). Stranded on the island for a short while as IOTL, they manage to make their way back to Russia after rebuilding their boat from the wreckage far more quickly and with fewer losses than they did IOTL due to the aid of the Native Kwakwaka'wakw or Nuu-chah-nulth, and bringing far greater rewards back with them after trading with the locals, sparking greater Russian interest in settling the Pacific Northwest. As a result, early Russian settlement of the Americas ITTL primarily takes place in OTL's British Columbia instead of the Aleutian Islands, attracting far greater returns, greater investment from the Russian Empire and greater numbers of immigrants from an early stage.

IMWO this is probably the single easiest and most interesting way to get additional European colonies in the Americas and it really opens up a lot of interesting PODs because you essentially have North America getting colonized from the other direction.