Sale of the French Carribean

Assume that after the seven years war, France pursued a Mediterranean strategy and successfully acquired all or parts of the Maghreb. (Algeria and Tunis) With this they pursued sugar and cotton plantations to make.

Also assume the Haitian revolution was defeat in its infancy. but with a probably new war with Britain looming, Napoleon doesn't think the Caribbean colonies will be able to be held for the long term, and they are far less important with successful plantations along North Africa.

Would Napoleon be willing to sell the French Caribbean to the US along with the Louisianan purchase? Would the US be willing to take on those Caribbean possesions?

(And yes, I know lots of thing would need to change to set up the assumptions made, but even if your wondering how that could possibly come about, at least provide an opinion on the questions asked.)

Last edited:

Deleted member 67076

Short answer: Hell no. Haiti and the Caribbean colonies were a huge moneymaker. IIRC Haiti alone made more money for France than the Thirteen colonies did for Britain.

Its simply way too much of a bad deal to sell those assets.

Technically it *could* be the case, if the Atlantic Sea was even more dominated by Royal Navy and that maintaining an oversea empire became impossible.

Now, I doubt that in this situation, France could effectivly control Antillas : OTL, they were already occupied by Britain, making a sale impossible. Who would buy something to a guy that don't actually own it?

Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
I confess. I misunderstood the title as Salé of the French Caribbean and pictured a French-backed Corsair republic in the New World. :eek:

Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
It does have potential : Henri IV backing Moriscos into raiding Spanish galleons :D

... Tempting, but I have -way- too many ideas I need to realize already.

Any way, to address the topic at hand, France would not part from its Caribbean colonies unless they were torn from its hands - and maybe not even then.

Any way, to address the topic at hand, France would not part from its Caribbean colonies unless they were torn from its hands - and maybe not even then.

After all, even if it has alternatives, that doesn't mean it won't want both.

Louisiana offered little to the French treasury, these colonies are very different.