More "Ancient Names" in Britain?

hey, all. some of you may know that one aspect of my TL is that Britain is officially named Britannia (mainly because Code Geass was the main inspiration behind it all) and i decided to expand on that by giving most/all the major regions of the British Isles (and by extension any namesakes of theirs) their Roman names, so, for example, Ireland is called Hibernia, Wales is Cambria, and so on.

i'd mainly like a bit of peer review on this: does anyone think i should go further with this and (within reason) rename more British cities, etc., with their old Roman names? depending on how similar some of these are to the OTL names, i may keep them as their OTL names regardless (one example being that London stays London rather than being renamed Londinium, partly because general linguistic evolution may simplify it regardless)

as an aside, another possibility ITTL is that London/Londinium is not called that at all, but rather goes by "New Troy" (as in relating to the legend of Brutus of Troy, who supposedly founded a city with that name in the rough area of what is now London). thoughts?

thanks for those links; i'll go over them in greater detail later, but they look like they'll be VERY useful ;)

mainly, though, i want to look at Roman names, since those are the ones i've used for major regions so far

hey, all. some of you may know that one aspect of my TL is that Britain is officially named Britannia (mainly because Code Geass was the main inspiration behind it all) and i decided to expand on that by giving most/all the major regions of the British Isles (and by extension any namesakes of theirs) their Roman names, so, for example, Ireland is called Hibernia, Wales is Cambria, and so on.

Nitpick, but Cambria is a mediaeval Latin name for Wales, not a Roman one. There wasn't really a distinct name for what's now Wales in Roman times, it was just part of a subdivision of Britannia, which one tended to vary somewhat.

i'd mainly like a bit of peer review on this: does anyone think i should go further with this and (within reason) rename more British cities, etc., with their old Roman names? depending on how similar some of these are to the OTL names, i may keep them as their OTL names regardless (one example being that London stays London rather than being renamed Londinium, partly because general linguistic evolution may simplify it regardless)

If you're starting off with a theme you might as well stick with it...

as an aside, another possibility ITTL is that London/Londinium is not called that at all, but rather goes by "New Troy" (as in relating to the legend of Brutus of Troy, who supposedly founded a city with that name in the rough area of what is now London). thoughts?

If you're sticking with a Roman theme then Trinovantium is the "Roman" (actually mediaeval Latin again) form of New Troy that appears in the legends, you might prefer to use that.

I always fancied the idea of York being called Carbrook (bastardised version of Caer Ebrauc) or given no Viking invasions Forwich (from Eorforwic).(Last one not really tenable given what you wanted admittedly!)

Nitpick, but Cambria is a mediaeval Latin name for Wales, not a Roman one. There wasn't really a distinct name for what's now Wales in Roman times, it was just part of a subdivision of Britannia, which one tended to vary somewhat.
fair enough. I think I'd prefer to keep it as Cambria, unless I can find a "more authentic one", partly because I've already been consistently referring to it as Cambria
If you're starting off with a theme you might as well stick with it...
part of the reason behind that one in particular is because it may well be that the way the language evolves ITTL could still shorten "Londinium", maybe to Londin instead of London, but the point remains. thoughts?
If you're sticking with a Roman theme then Trinovantium is the "Roman" (actually mediaeval Latin again) form of New Troy that appears in the legends, you might prefer to use that.
thank you :) i'll have to look further into that