Map and Flag program recommendations?

I'm starting to consider making a map for a world I'm developing - far future stuff, not on Earth - and I was wondering what you guys would recommend in regards to a program that I can use to draw one.

Also, I'm starting to consider making flags for the above project. What programs would you recommend I use for that purpose?

Thande

Donor
Depends what you want, really. I would advise starting out doing B_Munroesque stuff in MSPaint to get a grip on mapmaking and then graduating to more advanced programmes for flashy effects.

I second Paint.NET, which basically is MS Paint but better. Very good for pixelated stuff. Otherwise maybe GIMP might be worth a try, if you are looking for something that is both free and somewhat flashy.

For flags Inkscape is the way to go, in my humble opinion. It allows for rather nice and clean graphics, perfect for stuff like circles, triangles, etc. Also it utilizes vectors, which means that everything can be scaled up and down without problems (so you can for example decrease the size of something like a coat of arms quite easily without sacrificing image quality). However it takes quite some time to get used to some of its use flashy features, but if you master those you can do almost anything with it.

Thande

Donor
Paint.Net is a very good programme but I find MSPaint is still generally better for B_Munroesque stuff, just because it strips things down to the essentials. Your mileage may vary.

Paint.Net is a very good programme but I find MSPaint is still generally better for B_Munroesque stuff, just because it strips things down to the essentials. Your mileage may vary.

Well, the advantage of Paint.Net is that with layers you can bring up reference maps and so forth for tracing or rivers, but in general I do agree with you that MSPaint-> Paint.Net is probably a good learning curve for getting the hang of the basics and introducing some more complex techniques.

I use Illustrator; anything else bitmap is fine, too.

Definitely Illustrator. Nothing bitmap.

That will be expensive ;)
I use Inkscape it uses vectors like Illustrator but it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg.
If you already have Illustrator it is ofcourse the way to go.

Should you just be interessted in pixel graphics like the Worlda map than I can recommend paint.net.

Depends on what kind of map you want, though I'd suggest MS Paint, Paint.NET, GIMP and Inkscape.