Doctor Who: The Ribos Divergence - A Different Fifth Doctor!

Alright, so this is a little timeline that's been knocking about my head for a few years now. Figured I'd put it down "on paper", so to speak. By no means is this a completely thorough timeline, but I've tried to make it as plausible as I can.

Anyway, are you all sitting comfortably? Good. Then we'll begin.

---

Chapter One: The Ribos Divergence

Tom Baker quit Doctor Who on March 3rd, 1978, citing "creative differences". This came as a shock to everyone, but none moreso than the production staff. Baker was due to begin rehearsals for "The Ribos Operation" in only a few weeks, and shooting was scheduled for April 9th. Producer Graham Williams was pulled home from his holiday early for an emergency meeting with his superior, Head of Drama Graeme McDonald. McDonald informed Williams he had two weeks to find a new star, in addition to telling him to tone down the jokiness in the programme - this was especially ironic, as Williams was assigned to the programme to introduce that very element.

The hunt was on for Baker's successor. Assisted by George Spenton-Foster, the director assigned to "Ribos", the pair decided to look for a more serious and agreeable actor than Baker. Possible candidates were tossed around like balls on a tennis court. Ben Kingsley auditioned, but failed to make an impression on Williams and Spenton-Foster. Eventually Richard Griffiths was suggested by Spenton-Foster, who had seen him on a few episodes of ITV Playhouse. Once asked, the actor was stunned; the news of Baker's departure from the program was making headlines all over the country, and no one was quite sure who was up to the task of filling his sizable shoes. Why would they choose him of all people?!

In the production office, script editor Anthony Read and longtime Who stalwart Robert Holmes were left trying to re-write an already-finished script. Eventually, the two elected to explain the sudden change in lead actor as the White Guardian forcing the Doctor to regenerate into a form more suitable for the task at hand (ie. more serious, more to-the-point and on-task). Unfortunately, his head would take a while to readjust, causing the new Doctor to have his previous persona for most of the story until a knock on the head by a falling stone in the catacombs near Part Four's climax settled his new persona.

After much deliberation, Richard Griffiths became the fifth actor to play the part of the infamous peripatetic Time Lord. He was announced to the public on March 22nd, 1978 and began rehearsals immediately. He seemed to get on well with co-star Mary Tamm, and made a good acquaintance with John Leeson, the voice of K9. However, much like Baker, he found the actual prop a nuisance, having to get down on the floor to interact with it which was no small task, given the actor's size.

On the writing front, rewrites were doable on the next two stories ("The Pirate Planet" and "The Stones of Blood"), however, they would still carry echoes of the Fourth Doctor. But the new persona would be more-or-less settled by the story following "Stones". Indeed, by the end of "The Androids of Tara" Part Four, it was clear that the Fifth Doctor was here to stay!

---

Next Time: Tom speaks to the media and Graham Williams's life gets a lot harder...

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Things you want to see happen? Tell me! :)

Stolengood

Banned
Hmmmm... I thought Tom only proferred his resignation around the time of "The Armageddon Factor"; I know he was tetchy all through Season 15, but I don't think that straw-breaking moment came until the final story, for whatever reason.

Considering the Beeb would've wanted a "name" to replace Baker, and Iain Cuthbertson was the biggest named they'd had that year... Doc Five probably would've been Cuthbertson. Or Geoffrey Bayldon; it all depends on the timing, I suppose.

However, I do like that you've taken the "Richard-Griffith-as-potential-Doctor" possibility to heart. Looking forward for more. :)

Interesting. As a kid I loved Tom Baker's Doctor, and I got back into Who after my mom got me a boxed set* of "The Key of Time" not long before the relaunch. I'm wondering how this will change things. Will the Fourth Doctor not be the iconic Doctor he was? Will Mary Tamm stay on (and if so, how will they hide her pregnancy)? Will they keep K-9? Will Douglas Adams stay? Will David Tennant have a role model for when** he plays the Doctor?

* This was the US boxed set- those of you in the UK got it a few years back when it got rereleased with new stuff.

** David HAS to play the Doctor- he's wanted it since he was a kid!

Stolengood said:
Hmmmm... I thought Tom only proferred his resignation around the time of "The Armageddon Factor"; I know he was tetchy all through Season 15, but I don't think that straw-breaking moment came until the final story, for whatever reason.
He did, and I did consider doing all of my detective work over again to accommodate for this, but elected not to. The POD I've chosen is still a relatively plausible one, seeing as Tom was an alcoholic and didn't like Williams at all. Hatred and booze rarely mix well.

Don't worry, this POD will arguably be the more interesting one.

Stolengood said:
Considering the Beeb would've wanted a "name" to replace Baker, and Iain Cuthbertson was the biggest named they'd had that year... Doc Five probably would've been Cuthbertson. Or Geoffrey Bayldon; it all depends on the timing, I suppose.
Now I forgot about Bayldon, in all honesty. I might have considered it, but remembering him now... If I had been actively shopping around for actors instead of being determined to have Griffiths, Bayldon would have been in the running. I may feature him as a guest star in Season 17 if for no other reason than "The Creature from the Pit" is likely not going to be made.

I actually wrote a draft with John Thaw being asked, but turning it down (with much regret) because he didn't want to be on another long-term show so soon after The Sweeney, but then I realized that would have been feasible only with the "Armageddon Factor" POD. Though I'm not ruling him out as a future Doctor. ;)

Cuthbertson during my viewing of "Ribos" didn't strike me as an actor to play the Doctor. He was too hammy. Plus, being American and nowhere near as old as some of the folks on here, I didn't know how popular he was outside of the show OTL.

Stolengood said:
However, I do like that you've taken the "Richard-Griffith-as-potential-Doctor" possibility to heart. Looking forward for more. :)
Thanks, sir. More shall follow later this week.

Orville_third said:
Interesting. As a kid I loved Tom Baker's Doctor, and I got back into Who after my mom got me a boxed set* of "The Key of Time" not long before the relaunch. I'm wondering how this will change things. Will the Fourth Doctor not be the iconic Doctor he was?
I can say that in the short term, yes, Four will be one of the more popular Doctors, but something happening in the next post or two will put a wrench into his popularity for years to come.

Orville_third said:
Will Mary Tamm stay on (and if so, how will they hide her pregnancy)?
Hm. Good question. I'll assess how far along she is by the end of "Armageddon Factor". She may very well stay into Season 17 for a story or two before regenerating.

Orville_third said:
Will they keep K-9?
For a while, yes! Don't worry, I love the little guy. He's going nowhere anytime soon!

Orville_third said:
Will Douglas Adams stay?
Still debating that.

Orville_third said:
Will David Tennant have a role model for when** he plays the Doctor?
It'll likely be Griffiths's more serious portrayal. It's hard to guess what he'll think of the new Fifth Doctor.

* This was the US boxed set- those of you in the UK got it a few years back when it got rereleased with new stuff.
Yup. I'm in America, though. I'm a young'n that's a die-hard Classic Series devotee in a sea of New Series fans.

** David HAS to play the Doctor- he's wanted it since he was a kid!
Oh, no question. While I hate the Tenth Doctor, I like David Tennant. His Doctor, I can assure all of you, will be vastly different!

tallthinkev said:
I'm going to have to kept an eye on this one. Just finished watching (again) Ribos Friday.
Keeping an eye on little old me? You're too kind!

HEY, STOP SCROLLING!

Now that I have your attention, I want to propose a little contest for this TL!

Write a character biography for the new Fifth Doctor! Best one will become this TL's canon bio for him.

THINGS TO BEAR IN MIND:

• The Fifth Doctor is much more serious than the Fourth.
  • He still has a keen sense of humor.
  • He's NOT Withnail's Uncle Monty.
  • He's NOT Harry's Uncle Vernon.
Have fun, I'll be looking forward to your submissions! :D

Last edited:
No he's Potbelly from "The Cleopatras":D:D
More seriously, how about a younger version of Henry Crabbe from "Pie in the Sky"?

Potbelly was a scheming member of the Ptolomy family who became Pharoah in a truly awful BBC series about the Cleopatras.
Henry Crabbe is a quiet thoughtful policeman who much prefers cooking and running a restaurant (the Pie in the Sky) but has to keep solving crimes to keep his superior officer off his back and to retire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pie_in_the_Sky_(TV_series)

Last edited:
Quiet and thoughtful work, but I still am concerned it may be too close to OTL Five. And a love of food might be a bit stereotypical for a heavier fellow like Griffiths.

Stolengood

Banned
He did, and I did consider doing all of my detective work over again to accommodate for this, but elected not to. The POD I've chosen is still a relatively plausible one, seeing as Tom was an alcoholic and didn't like Williams at all. Hatred and booze rarely mix well.
...didn't know Tom was an alcoholic. Thought he was just trying to push his star weight around; I know he was extremely difficult for most of his last three or four seasons (it started around the time Lis Sladen left), but I didn't think the bottle had anything to do with it.

Don't worry, this POD will arguably be the more interesting one.
I suppose... though it'll be disappointing not to have a proper regeneration. Richard Griffiths in a brown curly wig? :p

Now I forgot about Bayldon, in all honesty. I might have considered it, but remembering him now... If I had been actively shopping around for actors instead of being determined to have Griffiths, Bayldon would have been in the running. I may feature him as a guest star in Season 17 if for no other reason than "The Creature from the Pit" is likely not going to be made.
I've always thought Bayldon would've made an excellent "anniversary First Doctor" when the time came... especially considering he's still alive today. ;)

I actually wrote a draft with John Thaw being asked, but turning it down (with much regret) because he didn't want to be on another long-term show so soon after The Sweeney, but then I realized that would have been feasible only with the "Armageddon Factor" POD. Though I'm not ruling him out as a future Doctor. ;)
Hmmm... how different will the back-end of this season look? At least two of the stories IOTL were late replacements for other ones that didn't work out ("The Androids of Tara" and "The Power of Kroll"). With this shake-up, I hope the production team will have the good sense not to ask Baker and Martin to make a hash out of their season-ender, ITTL...

Cuthbertson during my viewing of "Ribos" didn't strike me as an actor to play the Doctor. He was too hammy. Plus, being American and nowhere near as old as some of the folks on here, I didn't know how popular he was outside of the show OTL.
He was a name in British TV, at least:

His most memorable television role was as the criminal and businessman Charlie Endell in both Budgie (London Weekend Television/ITV) with Adam Faith (1971–72) and its sequel Charles Endell, Esq (Scottish Television/ITV) in 1979.

Other roles include the lead in The Borderers (BBC, 1968–70), Tom Brown's Schooldays (BBC, 1971) (as Thomas Arnold), The Stone Tape (BBC, 1972), Sutherland's Law (BBC, 1973–76)(as John Sutherland), Children of the Stones (HTV/ITV, 1977), and Danger UXB (Thames Television/ITV, 1979), The House With Green Shutters (BBC, 1980). He appeared in the pilot episode of Rab C Nesbitt (1988) as a magistrate.

He suffered a crippling stroke in January 1982, which forced him to give up theatre for fear of forgetting his lines. He resumed television and film work, though, as his lines could be written on crib boards. His first role following his stroke was as the villainous Scunner Campbell in Super Gran (Tyne Tees Television/ITV, 1985). In 1989 he played the villain, Brett Savernake in the episode of Campion entitled "Sweet Danger".

Minor parts in ongoing series include appearances in Z-Cars (BBC), The Avengers (ABC/ITV), Inspector Morse (Central Television/ITV), Bulman (Granada Television/ITV), Ripping Yarns (BBC), The Duchess of Duke Street, Colonel Mannering in Adam Adamant Lives! story D For Destruction (1966) and Garron in the Doctor Who story The Ribos Operation. He also appeared in: Diamond Crack Diamond, The Onedin Line (BBC), Survivors (BBC), Scotch on the Rocks, Black Beauty (London Weekend/ITV), Minder (ITV), The Ghosts of Motley Hall (Granada/ITV), Juliet Bravo (BBC), Casualty (BBC), The Mourning Brooch, Casting the Runes and McPhee the Mother and Me.

Thanks, sir. More shall follow later this week.
Gerrrronimo. :D
HEY, STOP SCROLLING!

Now that I have your attention, I want to propose a little contest for this TL!

Write a character biography for the new Fifth Doctor! Best one will become this TL's canon bio for him.

THINGS TO BEAR IN MIND:

• The Fifth Doctor is much more serious than the Fourth.
  • He still has a keen sense of humor.
  • He's NOT Withnail's Uncle Monty.
  • He's NOT Harry's Uncle Vernon.
Have fun, I'll be looking forward to your submissions! :D
The Fifth Doctor dresses in something of a purplish velvet, similar to Three, but less ostentatious and more light-hearted. He still has a sense of fun, but it's a more intellectual kind, and not snobbish.

Still, he has moments of frivolity when need be; if he meets a historical figure he greatly likes, he breaks out of his shell and becomes something of a giant fan.

He has doddering moments, certainly, such as the time he drops the hynoid capacitator down into one of the console's gaps and inadvertently crashes onto the next Key to Time planet in "The Lords of Misrule", but overall he is on top of things... although Romana doesn't know that, thinking him more of a gentle fop than anything else.

She also teases him about his weight, saying, "The last time I had a weight fluctuation in regeneration was when I was 304." The Doctor gets cross with her about it, and furiously attempts to eat healthily whenever possible just to show her, although he often spits the healthy food back up out of bad taste.

There is a little bit of comedy involving his strabismus, including the inevitable "damn your eyes!"/"too late" moment (which fortunately only happens once, around the season's midpoint), but overall he generally does not take jibes, even soft ones, lying down.

...didn't know Tom was an alcoholic. Thought he was just trying to push his star weight around; I know he was extremely difficult for most of his last three or four seasons (it started around the time Lis Sladen left), but I didn't think the bottle had anything to do with it.
I know he frequented the pub, in this TL he's a bit more liberal with the "sauce", you might say. Especially with upcoming events being what they are.

I suppose... though it'll be disappointing not to have a proper regeneration. Richard Griffiths in a brown curly wig? :p
I may have to rewrite the opening scene for demonstration purposes.

I've always thought Bayldon would've made an excellent "anniversary First Doctor" when the time came... especially considering he's still alive today. ;)
I see your hint, and will bear it in mind. ;)

Hmmm... how different will the back-end of this season look? At least two of the stories IOTL were late replacements for other ones that didn't work out ("The Androids of Tara" and "The Power of Kroll"). With this shake-up, I hope the production team will have the good sense not to ask Baker and Martin to make a hash out of their season-ender, ITTL...
"Tara" is, as established, still there. I'll take the time to show what's going on with the Key to Time in a mini-update along with the updated version of "Ribos"'s opening scene.

He was a name in British TV, at least
Christ, that's a LOT of stuff. :eek:

Gerrrronimo. :D
Oh, yeah. Note to self: Better keep Moffat away from the producer's seat...

The Fifth Doctor dresses in something of a purplish velvet, similar to Three, but less ostentatious and more light-hearted. He still has a sense of fun, but it's a more intellectual kind, and not snobbish.

Still, he has moments of frivolity when need be; if he meets a historical figure he greatly likes, he breaks out of his shell and becomes something of a giant fan.

He has doddering moments, certainly, such as the time he drops the hynoid capacitator down into one of the console's gaps and inadvertently crashes onto the next Key to Time planet in "The Lords of Misrule", but overall he is on top of things... although Romana doesn't know that, thinking him more of a gentle fop than anything else.

She also teases him about his weight, saying, "The last time I had a weight fluctuation in regeneration was when I was 304." The Doctor gets cross with her about it, and furiously attempts to eat healthily whenever possible just to show her, although he often spits the healthy food back up out of bad taste.

There is a little bit of comedy involving his strabismus, including the inevitable "damn your eyes!"/"too late" moment (which fortunately only happens once, around the season's midpoint), but overall he generally does not take jibes, even soft ones, lying down.
Mm! I may just use this, but I'll let others give their contributions as well before anything definite is decided on. (Well, I'll definitely use "The Lords of Misrule", seeing as I have a fondness for it.)

Alright, here's the next installment! This was supposed to be a mini-update, but it got into the Miracle-Gro and, well... Heh. Just read it and find out!

---

Chapter Two: The Lords of Misrule

Ted Lewis was a drunk. He hadn't always been one, but the imminent dissolution of his marriage had driven him to the bottle. Lewis had been contracted on January 7th to write a story called "The Doppelgangers", which was to have been the fourth story of the season. This story dealt with the notion that legendary heroes might, in reality, have been the antithesis of the way history would ultimately portray them. Lewis demonstrated this with Doctor and Romana encountering Robin Hood in their search for the fourth segment of the Key To Time, only to discover that the alleged hero was actually a devious villain.

However, when scripts arrived, it was clear that Lewis wasn't as familiar with Doctor Who as he claimed. The script, now going by "Shield of Zarak", soon came to a halt. In mid-May Anthony Read and Graham Williams called a meeting with Lewis, who showed up totally hammered. Somehow, they managed to get Lewis to give ownership over the story to the production office entirely, absolving him from future work on it.

Read decided to make the story work and asked Robert Holmes to help him. At the same time, he made clear to Williams that he would be leaving at the end of the season to return to his career as a novelist. As a replacement he suggested Douglas Adams, who had written "The Pirate Planet" earlier in the season. Adams jumped at the idea and was brought on to begin training immediately.

"The Armageddon Factor" was to close out the season. Written by Bob Baker and Dave Martin, creators of K9 and regulars on the programme since "The Claws of Axos" in the Pertwee era, the story was a Cold War parable. However the Bristol Boys, as they were known to the production office, elected to end their writing partnership around the end of summer. They had been fond of Baker's Doctor and rewriting for Griffiths's incarnation had proven to be the straw that broke the camel's back. They took the script with them when they left, throwing the production office into chaos.

In a drawer, Adams found a storyline for a proposal that hadn't been taken forward called "The Lords of Misrule". Written by Dixon of Dock Green creator Ted Willis, the story concerned the people of the planet Tetran. The Tetrans were enslaved by the cruel Shadowlords, who ruled from an orbiting castle. The segment of the Key to Time was concealed as a massive crystal powering the Shadowlords' castle. Adams was very keen on the idea while Read and Williams were concerned about cost. The lupine Prowlers and android Shadowlords were prohibitive. With some luck, Adams convinced them to let him work with Willis to make the story work.

The Prowlers were removed, instead bribed Tetrans hunted others in ways not too dissimilar to Richard Connell's 1924 short story "The Most Dangerous Game". The Doctor and Romana would be hunted along with a small group of Tetrans. Eventually, Romana found a way to the oribiting castle, and things would be laid bare: the Tetrans were human descendants of a ship crashing to the planet, and the Shadowlords are security robots, disguised and maddened due to their connection with the pilot. The pilot having been held on the brink of death by the vessel's computer for centuries. In another deviation from the outline, the ship was instead powered by jethrik, the element mentioned in "The Ribos Element" earlier in the season. This was no longer the fifth segment, instead the pilot of the ship was. When he was transformed into his segment form, the connection to the Shadowlords got cut and the madness ended.

Meanwhile, "Shield of Zarak" was shaping up into the season finale, with two new episodes added and an addition of a definite article to the title. Holmes would receive joint credit for the story with Lewis, despite much of the latter's story not really being present. Read was not able to receive credit due to BBC policies frowning on script editors writing for their own programmes.

Holmes liked the Robin Hood angle, and made Hood and Little John into one of his double acts only with a decidedly more villainous edge to suit the story. The Sheriff of Nottingham was portrayed as a meek man desperate to keep order, and begged the Doctor to help. Romana would eventually come across a curious forcefield at the edge of the woods and realize that the entire forest and everyone in it save for herself, the Doctor, and K9 were a simulation. Then the main villain, Zarak - a minion of the Black Guardian - would reveal himself and attempt to take the five segments already collected. The sixth segment would be used to power the simulation.

Out in the public, Tom Baker had been talking to the media and what he was saying was nowhere near kind. He painted Williams as a harsh, uncompromising taskmaster with Read as his sycophantic lackey. The story became more and more outrageous with each retelling (at one point even implying that Mary Tamm was Williams's mistress), but the public ate it up like a five-course meal. Graeme McDonald knew that this wasn't true - Baker had many times made his dislike of Williams very clear - but he was being pressured by his superiors to move Williams to a new programme. He tried to argue the case, but even the truth couldn't save anything - the bad publicity was enough. Graham Williams was to be replaced at the end of the season... But with who?

---

Season Sixteen - The Key to Time

"The Ribos Operation" by Robert Holmes
"The Pirate Planet" by Douglas Adams
"The Stones of Blood" by David Fisher
"The Androids of Tara" by David Fisher
"The Lords of Misrule" by Ted Willis and Douglas Adams
"The Shield of Zarak" by Ted Lewis and Robert Holmes

---

Next Time: Someone dies, another goes to prison, and Douglas Adams meets the new producer...

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions on who should succeed Graham Williams? Things you want to see happen? Tell me! :)

What role will Michael Grade play in this?

(He is the only BBC Controller who has not been knighted by the queen, because she is thought to be a Doctor Who Fan and he did everything he could to cancel Doctor Who.)

A few thoughts:
It's a good thing Kroll is gone. It was bad for all concerned.
I did like The Armageddon Factor, even though most of the cast loathed it.* You do have to bring back John Woodvine** in some capacity like his role as the Marshal, especially if it involves malapropisms.
I think "The Shield of Zarak" would be a nice story. A younger me might consider it his favorite.
Would some fans see "The Lords of Misrule" as too similar to "The Face of Evil"?
If you don't cast Lalla Ward as something, you might wind up with a very different life for Richard Dawkins!
And Tom insulting Mary...you just made her husband Marcus Ringrose*** mad...the guy who charged a stuntman who was teaching her martial arts thinking the stuntman was attacking her.

* It did wind up providing a number of bloopers on the "Good King Memorex" blooper tape, plus a few unsorted others, like the "Merry Christmas Doctor Who" one.
** For those not familiar with the classic series, he did play the Player King in the recent Hamlet starring David Tennant.
*** Who is known also for having a dad who was a spy, and for dying of a massive heart attack not long after his late wife's funeral.

Orville_third said:
A few thoughts:
It's a good thing Kroll is gone. It was bad for all concerned.
Indeed.
I did like The Armageddon Factor, even though most of the cast loathed it.* You do have to bring back John Woodvine** in some capacity like his role as the Marshal, especially if it involves malapropisms.
Not seen it. I'll add in Woodvine in some capacity for Season 17.

I think "The Shield of Zarak" would be a nice story. A younger me might consider it his favorite.
Yay!

Would some fans see "The Lords of Misrule" as too similar to "The Face of Evil"?
Well, I guess that's for the audience to decide.

If you don't cast Lalla Ward as something, you might wind up with a very different life for Richard Dawkins!
Just how influential was Lalla on his life, anyway?

And Tom insulting Mary...you just made her husband Marcus Ringrose*** mad...the guy who charged a stuntman who was teaching her martial arts thinking the stuntman was attacking her.
... Good thing I'm doing what I'm doing to Tom, then.

* It did wind up providing a number of bloopers on the "Good King Memorex" blooper tape, plus a few unsorted others, like the "Merry Christmas Doctor Who" one.
Not seen 'em...

** For those not familiar with the classic series, he did play the Player King in the recent Hamlet starring David Tennant.
Did he really? Cool.

*** Who is known also for having a dad who was a spy, and for dying of a massive heart attack not long after his late wife's funeral.
Cool and sad. :\