United States of Colombia, finally!

Hi all:

After long time of thinking (and tinkering with some details), I'm finally starting this TL. Given that it's my first REAL experiment with Alternate History, I'm being (hopefully) very cautious on some details (Especially on the PoD).

All insights and opinions are welcome. As always, normal letter is for me speaking, italics are for the story unfolding. Well, the Introduction will have only normal letters.

Hope you like it and don't be shy about commenting about what you find. I'll be happy to research that for you :)

<bilingual_bonus>No siendo más, ¡bienvenidos a Los Estados Unidos de Colombia!</bilingual_bonus>

Introduction

The United States of Colombia (USofC, for short) were an entity that resulted from the Granadine Confederation, which was in short, the Vicekingdom of New Granada.

Before getting inside that, I'm going to say, that IOTL (and ITTL) what would be known as Colombia has always been a conflictive nation. Conflicts are roughly the 60% of Colombian history has from small conflicts to big ones. In short, the independent life resulting from the Independence Wars would bring more struggles. Normally, these struggles are part of a nation's growth, but in the Colombian case... it only served to further divide them.

Well, the USofC were born as the final consequence of the Colombian Civil War (more info here), and with them, some measures had to be taken, being the secularization of the State and a Federalist stance, which converted the old Federal States on Sovereign States (this was more than a "name change", specially regarding armies. To avoid situations like the ones who led to the Civil War, there would be no National Army and each Sovereign State would have their own armies and police forces).

Colombia has always been bipartisan: The two parties that dominated the political scene were the Liberals and Conservatives (believe me, is as rough as it sounds). These parties had years after years of wars and bitter encounters. Specially since the Conservatives were backed by the Catholic church, and the Liberals had landowners and industrialists by their side.

This led to small conflicts, which allowed the Conservatives to take a new impulse at the voting booths, postulating Rafael Núñez as a candidate to the Presidency. OTL, that would lead to the creation of the actual Republic of Colombia (in what was called "The Regeneration")... but ITTL, this would be wildly different...

Finally, the PoD!

The campaign between the candidates (Núñez, for the Conservatives, and Solón Wilches for the Liberals) was tough: OTL, Wilches only could gain the support of three Sovereign States, and Núñez gained the support of the other six Sovereign States. Everything happened because of the intricated network of contacts that Núñez had and the different ways to manage the campaign at the Liberal States: well, the PoD is produced by a better knowledge about the progresses that Wilches did in the Sovereign State of Santander, the success of the partnership with Geo von Lengerke to trace the pathways of the State and the focus in Science and Technology in general (In short, more publicity by the possible means).

Granted time, the facts about the success of the Sovereign State of Santander would resonate in all the other states, leading to the support from a moderate group of Conservatives in other states which wanted more technological advances in exchange for some more Catholic influence. This being politics, Wilches accepted the deal, and proposed state schools for every cult or religion under the condition of taxes and control from the Government.

Finally, Wilches won Santander, Boyacá, Magdalena, Tolima and Cauca. Núñez, won Panamá, Antioquia, Bolívar and Cundinamarca.

The liberal victory allowed for the mentioned changes... and the United States of Colombia would survive for another day...

End of the Introduction

I hope you like it and once more, all opinions are welcome.

Regards,
Fernando.

Sadly I only know the basics of Colombia's history at this point, but the POD sounds nicely subtle. Besides that, I always support seeing more Latin American TLs on here. Good luck, and hope to see this continue.:)

Sadly I only know the basics of Colombia's history at this point, but the POD sounds nicely subtle. Besides that, I always support seeing more Latin American TLs on here. Good luck, and hope to see this continue.:)

Thank you! Hope to bring daily or weekly updates... Some of them will include what happened OTL, some others will be written in a "fluff" style (paralleling what happened OTL and ITTL), the likes of what I have done in the Luciferian Crusade TL. Any questions are welcome :)

Can this . . . can this be . . . c'est très intéressant! :)

Whilst Latin American TLs are few and far between here to begin with, Colombian TLs are virtually absent, until now. I wait with anticipation to see what you do here. If there's one TL I'd like to see, it would be one with a surviving United States of Colombia. So thank you for making that dream start to come true.

Ah, A South American-centered TL. I've too few of those in my short time on the boards, so it's good to see someone focusing on it. A quick question, how much do you plan on involving Venezuela? Will this more successful USofC mean that the successive string of dictators there gets cut off a few decades earlier? Could we have Venezuela (or parts of it) joining into the confederation? I'm sorry if I'm getting carried away, but I get really excited by the possibilities of my home country, and, in fact, all of South America, especially considering the OTL realities :(

Ok, as of Venezuela, evidently, I have to research a little on how it was at that time... As a teaser, all I can say is "free trade". Maybe some parts of Venezuela could join in a desire to relive the Gran Colombia, but it's depending on plausibility and possibility... Hope you enjoy this TL :)

Can this . . . can this be . . . c'est très intéressant! :)

Whilst Latin American TLs are few and far between here to begin with, Colombian TLs are virtually absent, until now. I wait with anticipation to see what you do here. If there's one TL I'd like to see, it would be one with a surviving United States of Colombia. So thank you for making that dream start to come true.

That's nice! I had some time ago (exactly when I joined) noticed the virtual absence of Colombian TLs, and Latin America being the Space Filling Empire or the absent continent in the party, so, I'd figured that in the wake of great TLs that involve Latin America to some degree, it was time to fulfill this experiment (and the all-time doubt I always had... What if the USofC still existed?)

This looks promising. :)

Thank you!

And thank you all...! (Second Upgrade is coming sooooooon!)

What?

A timeline that isn't about Colombia getting erased off the map or just mentioned as an uneventful sideshow?

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

I have to subscribe. NOW!

United States of Colombia, chapter 2: The Politician's Burden.

Hi all!

In the previous update, we saw a (brief) version of the history behind the USofC, and the political scene behind them...

In this update, we'll make something clear: In each update I hope to have this kind of explanations, and some "fluff", all because every AH story must to have an exciting adventure tied to the "normal" story. Or not?

In the previous update, we unfolded (briefly) the ITTL elections for 1884 presidency of the USofC, which the Elect President Solón Wilches won after doing more publicity of his progresses as President of the Sovereign State of Santander and a better support from their Liberal fellows and an agreement between moderate Conservatives about education and freedom of faith. President Wilches will soon discover that governing a nation is harder than even winning an election.

United States of Colombia, Chapter 2: The Politician's Burden.

To speak about communication in the United States of Colombia, let's talk about the Sovereign States, each one of them with their strengths and weaknesses, and years of war to their back.

The United States of Colombia have nine Sovereign States and seven National Territories, which were areas that because of their difficulty to access couldn't be governed from the Sovereign States and were responsibility of the Federal Government. In alphabetic order, they were:

• Antioquia, with Medellín as its capital city
  • Bolívar, with Cartagena de Indias as its capital
  • Boyacá, with Tunja as capital
  • Cauca, with Popayán
  • Cundinamarca, with Bogotá as capital (and also Bogotá had a special jurisdiction as the Federal District)
  • Magdalena, with Santa Marta as the capital
  • Panamá, with Ciudad de Panamá as the capital
  • Santander, alternating capitals between El Socorro, Pamplona and finally Bucaramanga as the capitals
  • Tolima, alternating also between Purificación, Neiva, Natagaima, Guamo and finally Ibagué.
The National Territories, meanwhile, were as we said, separated entities, answering only to the Federal Government. These were:

• Caquetá, with Mocoa as the capital
  • Casanare, alternating between Támara, Tame and Nunchía
  • The Guajira (or La Guajira), alternating between Soldado and Riohacha
  • San Andrés and Providencia, with San Andrés as the capital
  • San Martín (also called Llanos), alternating between San Martín and Villavicencio
  • Sierra Nevada and Motilones, with Espíritu Santo as their capital
  • Vásquez, with Puerto Reyes as its capital.
Each Sovereign State had its own Constitution and Assembly, which allowed for never seen before levels of autonomy, and also, different priorities and means of transportation. The main transport was the interprovincial railroad (in case it existed) or the Magdalena River, using steamboats. IOTL, by the start of the Regeneration, Law 69 was issued to start an Interoceanic Railroad which would start from Barranquilla and finish in Buenaventura, the two main ports. Luckily, thanks to President Wilches, Colombians wouldn't wait so much for railroads...

There were parties all along the cities and towns of Santander because of Wilches' victory at the voting booths. But not only Santander was celebrating the victory of one of its sons... Seemed that Colombia finally learned the lessons of the past and switched from the Radical State to a moderate and modern state, and all that was left was to await the inauguration as it happened each two years... But there were no rest for the winners, and the first things to look were, in priority order, the oncoming conflicts and how to communicate the country.

Wilches, noting that the situation was getting rough, decided to call the Presidents of each State to the San Carlos Palace and to speak about the course of action...

"Gentlemen: we have seen firsthand the results of everything that war produces, and to avoid any further bloodshed I have decided to speak to you, so I may know if the actions and decisions that we will make today are the most fruitful for the Union"

The Presidents expressed the preocupation about the Church-State relationship, which made the Conservatives (and the Catholic Church) prepare to go to war.

Luciano Restrepo, President of the Sovereign State of Antioquia, summed that preocupation in laconic words: "Mr. President, we cannot ignore the Catholic upbringing of our citizens. As much as we want progress and equality, we cannot ignore that."

The other Presidents kept talking, until President Wilches called to order...

"Gentlemen: I'm requesting your opinion and support to create a new beacon of tolerance and understanding and progress for us all... There will be Catholic education, but under the condition that every other cult or faith will have equal treatment under the eyes of the Federal Government."

Everyone was surprised. Years of the Mosquerian (from Tomás Cipriano de Mosquera, first President and Founder of the United States of Colombia) policies of total separation from Church and State resulted in bloodshed between the two parties and now... that torture seemed to end.

Restrepo said: "Excuse me? Mr. President, that's..."

Wilches interrupted Restrepo in a decisive tone: "Madness? Of course. That's madness, but this kind of decisions have to be taken to all of the Sovereign States to progress together. All we need is time, and patience. From you, and your citizens. I have two great plans, similar to the ones I left done at Santander. First and foremost, education. Each church or cult or faith can have their own schools, given that follow a methodology that will not be negotiated. If they want to include their philosophy subjects and theology, that's up to them. But I want EACH COLOMBIAN to know at least how to read, write and count. And in second order..."

Wilches opened a map, and show the State Presidents a route parallel to the Magdalena River...

"This is an interoceanic railroad. We need it if we are going to be a great nation. Any questions?"

The bewildered State Presidents watched the map with glee...

State President Restrepo asked: "How we are going to fund this endeavors? We are just getting out of one and other of the silly wars that happen here almost daily. And we need real solutions. Antioquia is surviving, but our arks are empty and there are few hands and material to work"

Wilches, seeing the reaction of the public, cleared his throat and said: "Well, the point is clear. We need money, labor and materials. And that's when you are into the plan: We need a tributary reform to sustain both the schools and the railroad."

Then, the State Presidents and President Wilches exchanged ideas on taxes, taxes to aguardiente, chicha and alcoholic beverages, and some luxury items...

In conclusion, each President had to propose the reforms and why had to be done to their State Assembly... Was not easy, but it had started.

The future was unfolding (at least for them). That reunion was informal, and was about the Elect President speaking about his plans for the nation with the State Presidents. Nothing formal, but that was the start of it all...

Hope you enjoy it. In the next update I want to add something about the interactions between Colombia, Latin America and the rest of the globe.

Regards,
Fernando.

Great start. That railway is going to be interesting; that's for sure. Would it be the basis of an expansion of the network?

Great start. That railway is going to be interesting; that's for sure. Would it be the basis of an expansion of the network?

In fact, the Interoceanic Railroad, as IOTL and ITTL is an expansion of every railroad that each Sovereign State has (if it has them at all) to cover the two main sea ports and connect them, and as such will have difficulties of its own...

Stay tuned :D

Some questions:

Will you look at pop culture (sports, et. al.) in TTL?
When will the butterflies hit the rest of the world?

Good start.

Hopefully, this avoids the mess Colombia had OTL...

Last edited:
Some questions:

Will you look at pop culture (sports, et. al.) in TTL?
When will the butterflies hit the rest of the world?

Good start.

Hopefully, this avoids the mess Colombia had OTL...

Well, in fact some studies done by the Colombian History Academy (and some universities) led to think that the existance of the United States of Colombia and its methodologies would bring the end of the actual mess that Colombia has right now (starting by Panamá and the independence movement), but I think that there would be a new kind of mess, one that without doing the "right" thing, would led to a situation of "aconfessional vs. Catholics" in place of what happened OTL "liberals vs conservatives" or the REAL mess, "extreme left vs government vs narcos vs extreme right" in which the original conflict devolved since...

Butterflies will touch the rest of the world when Colombia starts to be noted in the rest of Latin America, I mean, by maybe First World War or a bit before.

<spoilers>Latin America WILL have a role in WWI. And in WWII.</spoilers>

About pop culture, I'm planning on doing a special update with that in mind, because much of what Colombia has on every aspect comes from every region... and much of it has been explored but without much discussion... The boom starts with the invention of Radio and TV, and first I have to research on that, so I'll be covering these aspects with time.

Pretty interesting. Sub'd.

Thanks in advance, hope to cover all topics :)

Last edited:
United States of Colombia, chapter 3: Playing with fire.

Hi all!

This time I'm going to cover another aspect of shining importance to understand Colombia (both IOTL as ITTL), and it's the people.

During the USofC era, each Sovereign State had regionalistic outlooks for life. That was the era of each Sovereign State doing the best and most important for itself, and with the little power that the Federal Government had, that included small conflicts.

ITTL, President Wilches aspires to join the Sovereign States with better means of transport and equality between each of the people that inhabited (and came from another places of the world to start over again) this "pedacito de cielo" (piece of heaven)

Colombian people, since the beginning of the Virreinato de la Nueva Granada, was (and even IS) a mixture of peoples and cultures (some of them would be strange, and even stranger with the passage of time).

Depending of the region that they inhabited, they developed a group of personalities, making normal differences that normally were developed from country to country, being developed from city to city, depending of the foreign minorities that appeared (from what we know)...

• Germans and Italians in the Sovereign State of Santander
  • Andalusian and people of African and Asian Descent in the Sovereign States of Cauca and Antioquia
  • Madridians, British and Americans in the Sovereign State of Cundinamarca, and specially Bogotá
  • Aboriginal populations (called "salvajes" -savages- IOTL and ITTL) in all Sovereign States

There were many others, to be yet researched, and each of this nationalities give a bit of their unique characteristics, developing a curious way to define what we know that a Colombian is.

For now, there are no story updates... or yes?

United States of Colombia, chapter 3: Playing with fire.

Somewhere at the Sovereign State of Santander...

"That is foolish, mi primero! If we're to cross that forest and clash with the Santandereans, this would be our end!" said a concerned soldier...

His primero[1] answered: "If we die here, we are dying by God's glory, and nothing else."

Gunfire ensued, and some of the soldiers, which came from a state unknown, kept yelling "¡Abajo Wilches, Arriba la Regeneración![2]"

The State Army took them in custody and tried to extract whatever was the so-called "Regeneración"

Later, they knew that they were from the State of Bolívar, and then, the ones that talked were pardoned, and their commanders, executed.

President Wilches was not pleased.

[1]: The term "Primero" is a word used for soldiers and policemen to direct to their superiors, mainly corporals and sergeants, depending of the rank. If superior to anyone (ie. Brigadier General, or General), would be: "mi General".

[2]: IOTL, the Regeneración was initiated on the Núñez Government, and would be the movement that brought the end of the USofC and the reinstitution of the relationships between the Church and the State. ITTL, that scene would start the Regenerationist "guerrillas", small armies funded by Conservative supporters.

Stay tuned!

Last edited:
:eek:

That will be interesting to see. I'm assuming the continued existence of the USofC does not dampen hopes amongst Conservatives to recentralise the country?

:eek:

That will be interesting to see. I'm assuming the continued existence of the USofC does not dampen hopes amongst Conservatives to recentralise the country?

In fact, depending on the situations, Colombia could be led to an America-like situation, where the Federal Government has a balanced power and each State has its own laws... The magic word is "could"

United States of Colombia, chapter 4: Los Vecinos (the Neighbors)

<bilingual_bonus>¡Hola a todos! ¡Bienvenidos a otro capítulo más de Estados Unidos de Colombia!</bilingual_bonus>

Well, there's an aspect of the Latin American way of life that sometimes is overlooked, maybe because of the difficulty to transfer the complexity of our peoples (be it Colombians, Venezuelans, Peruvian, and so on...) to text.

As we have neighbors in our departments/houses/flats/fincas/whatever, Colombia had a very particular set of neighbors.

In the case of the USofC, those neighbors were:

• United States of Venezuela
  • Empire of Brazil
  • Republic of Costa Rica
  • Republic of Ecuador

The difference with OTL Colombia is remarkable, but let us return to the USofC and the subject of their neighbors:

Colombian limits were based in a law figure called uti possidetis juris (in Spanish we use the term "uti possidetis iure". That's weird, if you ask me), so "little" problem was at the time of that definition (Seems that Colombia's real problems were internal).

Their relations were sometimes warm, sometimes strange, all the trade was between the Sovereign States and the countries (for example, wasn't weird to see a Free Trade Agreement between the Sovereign State of Santander and the United States of Venezuela AND an agreement between the Sovereign State of Cauca and the British Empire). In conclusion, everyone could make treaties with everyone, which brought unequal deals, and a difference of prices between two cities in the same country.

IOTL, during La Regeneración, all those treaties started to apply for all the Republic of Colombia and the Republic established treaties with those nations who signed the treaties. ITTL, instead, President Wilches is thinking (that's by 1885, btw) to visit the United States of America, to learn better about the American way of diplomacy. And that's part of the story update of today...

United States of Colombia, chapter 4: Los vecinos (The neighbors)

President Wilches was signing a series of laws to prepare the nation for yet another war, but not before reuniting the State Presidents of Santander and Bolívar...

"Presidents. Welcome. I'm honored for your visit, and definitely not amused for the rumors that run on the streets like the blood that WE are spilling"-said a furious Wilches. Then, he cleared his throat and continued: "Any explanation for this?"

The State President of Santander, one guy Lozada, told: "We suffered attacks in our plantations of quina[1], some madmen yelling something about the Regeneración and you, Mr. President. They attacked our workers with rifles and machetes, WHAT WE WERE EXPECTED TO DO?

The State President of Bolívar, until then, only listened what his Santanderean colleague said, but after, he put a series of sheets on the President's desk. Then, he said: "I said what we have told to you in the telegrams and telegraphs: The Sovereign State of Bolívar NEVER bought troops or rolled its armies to Santander, we haven't had any reason to do it, we..."

Wilches screamed: "Gentle-MEN! Stop this at once! Whatever happened, if it wasn't the State of Bolívar there must to be an external force trying to separate our Union, and we cannot allow this, so in the form of reparations, the Sovereign State of Bolívar must to give fifteen thousand pesos be in species or in money, and sign an agreement to disallow any internal fight between your States. Now, please dismiss. I have a decree to issue."

What President Wilches was issuing was the banning of every military operation between the Sovereign States...

"...Effective immediately, all military operations between States must to be stopped for six months. I, as the President, know the impossibility of enforcing this law, but it deems necessary to avoid more bloodshed and to start preparing the Sovereign States to be truly united. The State Presidents, as of previous meeting, must to start the Program for State Instruction, which will essentially prepare our young country for times to come, and to assist our foreign friends, who will prepare our way to progress. The United States of Colombia will seek an agreement with important railroad companies, to start the construction of the Interoceanic Railroad, from Barranquilla to Buenaventura, our ports in the Caribbean and the Pacific Ocean respectively. Also, we hope to attract people from abroad, to present our country to the world, if we are to be a great nation. God Bless the United States of Colombia..."

Once the President ended to write and sign this decree, the Congress of the Union received it with not much agreement (a week later)...

"Why we have to stop our armies? Who are you to order us what to do?" said a Congressman from Boyacá. President Wilches said: "It is necessary because we are not going to allow more silly wars. I aspire to see a mature Colombia with fresh railroads and steamboats transporting us to progress, and why not, better roads for our pack mules and horses, it is enough? Or do you need another explanation?"

Another congressman from Panamá asked: "Have been a year between the first day of your government Mr. President, but we haven't see any changes, specially in the financial field, our arks are stable, but we can't provide for an endeavor like your railroads. What we are going to do?"

The President said: "I, as the President of the United States of Colombia, am going to North America in a trade mission, to establish the construction of the Interoceanic Railroad."

All congressmen were astounded.

Wilches kept saying: "Until that happens, I need the most important engineers of your Armies, to construct schools, libraries and instruction centers for the people in the cities to learn basic mathematics, reading, writing, and in a more advanced level and with the support of the National University, basic disciplines. We will need all the hands we can if we are to reconstruct our Patria."

And then, a first applause, a second, and a sea of thunderous applause in approval of the very first actions of President Wilches: a reconstruction and healing of the wounds that Colombia had...

Meanwhile, in the border with Venezuela...

"So, Mr. Pinto, everyone can drink this tonic water?" someone said. Mr. Pinto answered: "Of course, it has medical properties, some British gave this recipe to me in exchange for some paintings. I have experimented with it, but don't know how effective will it be."

[1]: The Quina (or Quino) is a plant that produces quinine, which was used for the treatment of the Malaria disease (paludism)

<bilingual_bonus>Espero que hayan disfrutado esta entrega</bilingual_bonus>

Any comments are welcome!

Just found this and it looks really good. Are the Regeneraciónistas somewhat like the Mexican Cristeros with the backing of a state government? And do I understand correctly that the president was elected by a majority vote of the states rather than by a popular vote?

Seems to me like Wilches is asking for trouble by interfering with the states' autonomy - even if it's the autonomy to do a stupid thing like wage war on other states, the state presidents will still resist. And the people won't like that aguardiente tax, which could be a way for the state presidents to rally them to fight against the federal government. How strong was the federal army at this point compared to the state armies? Will Wilches have allies among the states, and what will their price be?