WI Batman Less Popular

Based on an earlier idea -- supposing the caped crusader doesn't get renewed interest in the Silver Age through the campy TV show, and declines in popularity during the Bronze Age of Comics. Even if he gets "rediscovered" by getting a dark reboot in the Dark Age, the damage is done; there are no Batman TV shows before 2000, and if he gets a movie before then, he'd be behind at least three DC comic heroes in priority.

What I'd like to know is, within these broad parameters, how is the comic book culture, industry, etc, affected? How is the DC Universe and fandom changed with the Dark Knight not holding them up? And what are the ripples from there?

Based on an earlier idea -- supposing the caped crusader doesn't get renewed interest in the Silver Age through the campy TV show, and declines in popularity during the Bronze Age of Comics. Even if he gets "rediscovered" by getting a dark reboot in the Dark Age, the damage is done; there are no Batman TV shows before 2000, and if he gets a movie before then, he'd be behind at least three DC comic heroes in priority.

What I'd like to know is, within these broad parameters, how is the comic book culture, industry, etc, affected? How is the DC Universe and fandom changed with the Dark Knight not holding them up? And what are the ripples from there?

It's not impossible that without the Adam West show, the Batman comic could be cancelled. Indeed, if I remember correctly, that show lead to a resurgence in popularity for D.C. comics generally. Without it, a lot of titles might be on the chopping block. Superman is probably safe for the time being, and so long as the company exists for contractual reasons there will be Wonder Woman comics, but as for the rest, they're more vulnerable if I'm remembering correctly about the effect of West's show on D.C. comics. At the least, this probably dramatically alters the D.C. dynamics. Without Batman, there's no Robin, and no Teen Titans for instance. It's going to be far more Superman oriented, which given Superman's decline in popularity over time, could prove problematic. And no, Superman's decline in popularity wasn't entirely a function of Batman. It was a general cultural shift, Superman was increasingly seen as an outdated creature of the past by the 1970's. That process was arrested somewhat by the films, but the general trend was still there and still would be without Batman.

If Glass is right, we lose him entirely; could be DC goes bankrupt sometime in the 80's or 90's.

If I remember correctly there was talk of cancellation in the early 1960's, but that might have been before the so called "new look" which predated the show. But without Adam West, the market will remain smaller, so I think there might be a risk of cancellation throughout the 1960's. He could still survive, depending on the dynamics of the company, but I think that's a genuine risk, though his cancellation would probably be part of a general cleaning house for D.C. comics. I don't know who'd be safe, except for Superman and Wonder-Woman. The former because he's the flagship character, the latter because contractually, they can't. Other than that, I'd expect a slow trickle of cancellations without the show creating a resurgence in reader interest.

Another thing to consider, would no "Batman" butterfly the "Superman" movie? If so, D.C. is in even deeper trouble.

Last edited:
It's not impossible that without the Adam West show, the Batman comic could be cancelled. Indeed, if I remember correctly, that show lead to a resurgence in popularity for D.C. comics generally. Without it, a lot of titles might be on the chopping block. Superman is probably safe for the time being, and so long as the company exists for contractual reasons there will be Wonder Woman comics, but as for the rest, they're more vulnerable if I'm remembering correctly about the effect of West's show on D.C. comics. At the least, this probably dramatically alters the D.C. dynamics. Without Batman, there's no Robin, and no Teen Titans for instance. It's going to be far more Superman oriented, which given Superman's decline in popularity over time, could prove problematic. And no, Superman's decline in popularity wasn't entirely a function of Batman. It was a general cultural shift, Superman was increasingly seen as an outdated creature of the past by the 1970's. That process was arrested somewhat by the films, but the general trend was still there and still would be without Batman.

Could DC maybe revive Batman at some point if Superman declines in popularity? Or maybe one of their other characters ends up becoming very similar to Batman for one reason or another...

teg

A less traditional method might be to get rid of Dark Knight Returns - before that, Batman, while popular, wasn't the mimetic badass on whom all of DC Comics was based like he is now (ie, we'd see more variety, as opposed to every other DC Comics product being a Batman vehicle.)

This actually might be good for comics in general - more so than even Watchmen, DKR is what blew the Dark Ages of Comics into overdrive, and all the consequences that came with it. Plus, Superman never really recovered from the portrayal in the comic.

End result, DC Comics never becomes over-reliant on Batman like they did OTL, meaning we could see more movies from DC/Warner Brothers other than Batman, and a comics line that isn't 50% Batman related titles.

A less traditional method might be to get rid of Dark Knight Returns - before that, Batman, while popular, wasn't the mimetic badass on whom all of DC Comics was based like he is now (ie, we'd see more variety, as opposed to every other DC Comics product being a Batman vehicle.)

This actually might be good for comics in general - more so than even Watchmen, DKR is what blew the Dark Ages of Comics into overdrive, and all the consequences that came with it. Plus, Superman never really recovered from the portrayal in the comic.

End result, DC Comics never becomes over-reliant on Batman like they did OTL, meaning we could see more movies from DC/Warner Brothers other than Batman, and a comics line that isn't 50% Batman related titles.

That is an interesting take on the situation. Could we perhaps see a proper DC Cinematic Universe instead of Batman, Batman, Batman, Superman, Batman, Batman, Batman, Batman, Superman, Superman vs. Batman? :rolleyes:

teg

So lets say, DC decided to rejuvenate Supermn instead of Batman. Miller don´t write DKR, but instead Moore writes a Superman-story, which is a bit of a mixture of Miracelman/Whatever happend to the Man of Tommorrow.

John Farson

Banned
That is an interesting take on the situation. Could we perhaps see a proper DC Cinematic Universe instead of Batman, Batman, Batman, Superman, Batman, Batman, Batman, Batman, Superman, Superman vs. Batman? :rolleyes:

teg

Why don't they just rename DC Comics into "Batman Comics" while they're at it?:D Even Wolverine at his worst didn't hog that much space in Marvel.

Why don't they just rename DC Comics into "Batman Comics" while they're at it?:D Even Wolverine at his worst didn't hog that much space in Marvel.

Given how utterly he dominates the New 52, they might as well - I think Batman-related titles accounted for 18 of the 52 until recently.

So lets say, DC decided to rejuvenate Supermn instead of Batman. Miller don´t write DKR, but instead Moore writes a Superman-story, which is a bit of a mixture of Miracelman/Whatever happend to the Man of Tommorrow.

Thing is, without Miller's character assassination of Superman in Dark Knight Returns, Superman might not NEED rejuvenation. That was one of the disastrous consequences of DKR - the Superman character never really recovered from the hack job given to it by Miller. You get rid if DKR, he could remain a viable character for years to come.

It would be interesting to see how DC Comics would develop without going whole-hog into the Dark Age of Comics - they had a lot of interesting developments at the time, like new characters like Lobo, Steel, Resurrection Man and Zauriel rising in popularity, or old titles like Aquaman, Wonder Woman, or Justice League of America getting revived. Get rid of the dark n'gritty binge, and stunts like killing Superman/crippling Batman, and you'd have a potential environment for a lot of interesting changes.

teg

It's one of the biggest reasons I, like a lot of people, are so utterly sick of Batman. Since I was born, we've had, to count:
-7 Live Action Batman Movies
-6 Cartoon Series', not counting anything with 'Justice League' in the title
-10 Animated Films, again, only counting strictly Batman films
-28 Video Games
-16 Current Comic titles in the New 52, not counting crossovers
-1 TV show, with 2 more upcoming

Compare that to the only other truly successful DC Comics character, Superman - since I've been alive, he's had 2 movies, 2 TV shows, 1 Cartoon Series, 3 Animated films, 3 Video Games, and 6 Comics in the New 52, one of which is a Batman crossover. If people want to know why they never see anything else from DC Comics, it's because they never put any effort into anything but Batman, and its finally starting to bite them in the ass.

It's one of the biggest reasons I, like a lot of people, are so utterly sick of Batman. Since I was born, we've had, to count:
-7 Live Action Batman Movies
-6 Cartoon Series', not counting anything with 'Justice League' in the title
-10 Animated Films, again, only counting strictly Batman films
-28 Video Games
-16 Current Comic titles in the New 52, not counting crossovers
-1 TV show, with 2 more upcoming

Compare that to the only other truly successful DC Comics character, Superman - since I've been alive, he's had 2 movies, 2 TV shows, 1 Cartoon Series, 3 Animated films, 3 Video Games, and 6 Comics in the New 52, one of which is a Batman crossover. If people want to know why they never see anything else from DC Comics, it's because they never put any effort into anything but Batman, and its finally starting to bite them in the ass.

How old are you out of interest? If your anywhere near my age... (21), Jesus I didn't realize it was THAT bad. I know Toho relies almost exclusively on Godzilla (about a dozen Godzilla movies since I was born and only three Mothra movies) but the sheer volume of stuff for Batman is absurd. And I expect that while some of it (such as The Dark Knight) is great, other parts aren't good at all.

teg

Given how utterly he dominates the New 52, they might as well - I think Batman-related titles accounted for 18 of the 52 until recently.

Thing is, without Miller's character assassination of Superman in Dark Knight Returns, Superman might not NEED rejuvenation. That was one of the disastrous consequences of DKR - the Superman character never really recovered from the hack job given to it by Miller. You get rid if DKR, he could remain a viable character for years to come

Miller's interpretation of Superman was part of a long cultural shift, the same 1960's cultural shift that lead to generalized distrust of authority and in turn inspired the satiric take on Batman. By the 1970's Superman was seen as a kind of relic character who embodied the ideals of an earlier period. Superman wasn't dead as a character, but he was suffering from much the same problem he does today. The movie and to a lesser extent the musical mitigated his popularity decline somewhat but he had already fallen a great deal since his heyday. Miller's take wasn't the beginning of Superman's decline, it was the end result of a long change that began in the 1960's, or arguably, with the death of George Reeves in 1959.

Without Batman, D.C. doesn't have as easy a way to get out of the cultural shift problem, which means they have to remain a Superman company, which is going to be difficult because of general popular trends in the 1970's and 1980's. They have to figure out a way to bring him out of the 1950's in the popular imagination. That's a difficult task. Not impossible, but difficult.

Could DC maybe revive Batman at some point if Superman declines in popularity? Or maybe one of their other characters ends up becoming very similar to Batman for one reason or another...

teg

I think Robin, or at least Dick Grayson, may stand the best chance of surviving or being revived. Because he's a kid when Batman is cancelled, there's a fair amount of flexibility if you want to bring him back an adult, a writer would't be tied to anything but the basic origin. I don't think he'd have his own book, but having him brought back at some point as a minor player in someone else's isn't out of the question.

Another possibility here that hasn't been mentioned is that there was a proposes merger of D.C. and Marvel at some point in the 1980's if I remember correctly. If D.C. is reallly struggling, that might happen, which changes the ballgame. Of course there might be an antitrust issue there.

How old are you out of interest? If your anywhere near my age... (21), Jesus I didn't realize it was THAT bad. I know Toho relies almost exclusively on Godzilla (about a dozen Godzilla movies since I was born and only three Mothra movies) but the sheer volume of stuff for Batman is absurd. And I expect that while some of it (such as The Dark Knight) is great, other parts aren't good at all.

teg

24 - I was born in 1989, same year the Burton Batman film got released.

Yeah, it's that bad. The worst part is that a lot of times the good stuff feeds into the bad stuff, ie, Batman (1989) gave us Batman Returns, Dark Knight Returns gave us the Dark Knight Strikes Again, Dark Knight gave us Dark Knight Rises. Except Batman the Animated Series - that can do no wrong :D

The worst part s that the one time that Batman really felt inventive in my lifetime got retconned by the New 52. Before that, the comic was going in the boldest direction it had in years - Bruce Wayne retired as Batman, handing the cowel to Dick Grayson, while Damien Wayne became Robin. You had Bruce gradually getting out of the way, Dick Grayson both struggling to become 'Batman' while giving it his own Nightwing flare, Damien playing the dour straight man to the more easy-going Dick Grayson, and it felt fresh and new. Only to get tossed out with the New 52.

Miller's interpretation of Superman was part of a long cultural shift, the same 1960's cultural shift that lead to generalized distrust of authority and in turn inspired the satiric take on Batman. By the 1970's Superman was seen as a kind of relic character who embodied the ideals of an earlier period. Superman wasn't dead as a character, but he was suffering from much the same problem he does today. The movie and to a lesser extent the musical mitigated his popularity decline somewhat but he had already fallen a great deal since his heyday. Miller's take wasn't the beginning of Superman's decline, it was the end result of a long change that began in the 1960's, or arguably, with the death of George Reeves in 1959.

Without Batman, D.C. doesn't have as easy a way to get out of the cultural shift problem, which means they have to remain a Superman company, which is going to be difficult because of general popular trends in the 1970's and 1980's. They have to figure out a way to bring him out of the 1950's in the popular imagination. That's a difficult task. Not impossible, but difficult.

That's the odd thing for me at least - when did truth, justice and the American way become outdated?

For me at least, Superman is a far more relatable character than Batman because, as Max Landis put it quite well, "Superman didn't need to watch his parents get shot to realize helping people is the right thing to do."

What makes Superman special isn’t that he’s a nigh-invulnerable bulletproof alien who can defy the laws of physics with powers that quite literally make him a living deity, but that all this power is in the hands of a humble Kansas farmboy who DESPITE all of this power and possessing abilities which literally make him a god amongst men, at the very core of his being, he’s still that good-natured guy from Smallville who in his heart just wants to do the right thing. There are legions of superheros who have the same powers as Superman - what made him special was Clark Kent, who was the kind of guy who, even without powers, would stand up for the bullied or oppressed, or rush into a burning building to save someone, or speak up when everyone else is afraid to. He's the personification of humanity at it's very best, a reminder of who we can be if we aim for such a standard, or why we aim for that standard at all.

You want to be like Batman, you need to become a billionaire. You want to be like Spiderman, you need to be bitten by a radioactive spider. You want to be like Superman, be a good person and stand up for what's right, no matter the cost. Nobody can be like Spiderman, very few can be like Batman, but ANYONE can be like Superman, if only in character.

That's why I think Man of Steel was such a system shock for most people - they turned Superman into another traumatized loner lording over the commoners, and that rips out the very heart of who Superman is. Have we really grown so dark and cynical as a society that trusting someone to always do the right thing is ‘antiquated’ or needs to be ‘modernized’ or made dark and gritty to be relatable? I hope not, for all our sakes.

Sorry for the rant, but I never understood why people say Superman is unrelatable - certainly compared to a sociopath billionaire in body armor who beats up the mentally disabled and the physically disfigured.

24 - I was born in 1989, same year the Burton Batman film got released.

Yeah, it's that bad. The worst part is that a lot of times the good stuff feeds into the bad stuff, ie, Batman (1989) gave us Batman Returns, Dark Knight Returns gave us the Dark Knight Strikes Again, Dark Knight gave us Dark Knight Rises. Except Batman the Animated Series - that can do no wrong :D

The worst part s that the one time that Batman really felt inventive in my lifetime got retconned by the New 52. Before that, the comic was going in the boldest direction it had in years - Bruce Wayne retired as Batman, handing the cowel to Dick Grayson, while Damien Wayne became Robin. You had Bruce gradually getting out of the way, Dick Grayson both struggling to become 'Batman' while giving it his own Nightwing flare, Damien playing the dour straight man to the more easy-going Dick Grayson, and it felt fresh and new. Only to get tossed out with the New 52.

Honestly I think one of the best things that occured to the Marvel Cinematic Universe was their inability to use Spiderman or Wolverine. That meant they had use their other characters and to be honest, their more interesting ones.

That's the odd thing for me at least - when did truth, justice and the American way become outdated?

For me at least, Superman is a far more relatable character than Batman because, as Max Landis put it quite well, "Superman didn't need to watch his parents get shot to realize helping people is the right thing to do."

What makes Superman special isn’t that he’s a nigh-invulnerable bulletproof alien who can defy the laws of physics with powers that quite literally make him a living deity, but that all this power is in the hands of a humble Kansas farmboy who DESPITE all of this power and possessing abilities which literally make him a god amongst men, at the very core of his being, he’s still that good-natured guy from Smallville who in his heart just wants to do the right thing. There are legions of superheros who have the same powers as Superman - what made him special was Clark Kent, who was the kind of guy who, even without powers, would stand up for the bullied or oppressed, or rush into a burning building to save someone, or speak up when everyone else is afraid to. He's the personification of humanity at it's very best, a reminder of who we can be if we aim for such a standard, or why we aim for that standard at all.

You want to be like Batman, you need to become a billionaire. You want to be like Spiderman, you need to be bitten by a radioactive spider. You want to be like Superman, be a good person and stand up for what's right, no matter the cost. Nobody can be like Spiderman, very few can be like Batman, but ANYONE can be like Superman, if only in character.

That's why I think Man of Steel was such a system shock for most people - they turned Superman into another traumatized loner lording over the commoners, and that rips out the very heart of who Superman is. Have we really grown so dark and cynical as a society that trusting someone to always do the right thing is ‘antiquated’ or needs to be ‘modernized’ or made dark and gritty to be relatable? I hope not, for all our sakes.

Sorry for the rant, but I never understood why people say Superman is unrelatable - certainly compared to a sociopath billionaire in body armor who beats up the mentally disabled and the physically disfigured.

One of the things I really didn't like about the later Harry Potter books was the character assassination of James Potter. In the early books, James is presented as a stunningly tolerant human being who is friends with a werewolf (who are treated at least as badly as AIDs patients in the 1980s) and the son of a very dark wizarding family. Then suddenly, out of nowhere, James starts being presented as a jerk to Snape and basically nothing is done to explain it. I don't have a problem with James having flaws, flaws are good and make good characters, but nothing is done to reconcile the early James and late James. How does a boy who is friends with a werewolf (which are explicitly noted to be dark creatures) develop such an abiding hatred of someone who was nothing but a creepy kid. This general 'the heroes must be assholes' attitude is extremely tiring and TBH, doesn't make good story telling.

teg

It depends on what you mean by the American Way. By the 1970's blind deference towards the "establishment" had fallen out of cultural fashion. To the extent Superman was associated with the attitude that everything in society was just fine and what mattered was the maintanance of the social order above all else, he was going to struggle as the popular outlook on American society and Government became more cynical. To have him adjust, you have to make him a character who can acknowledge the imperfection of public institutions, even as he struggles to save individual lives. You have to adapt him for a more cynical age. To an extent, his comics went in this direction with Luthor's reinvention in the late 1980's.

That's the odd thing for me at least - when did truth, justice and the American way become outdated? For me at least, Superman is a far more relatable character than Batman because, as Max Landis put it quite well, "Superman didn't need to watch his parents get shot to realize helping people is the right thing to do."

TJ&AW became outdated after Vietnam, and more recently after Iraq. The whole idea, to use the links words, that a person who "didn't have the insecurities of flaws" would "always be able to do the right thing" became revealed to Americans as fundamentally flawed; that we don't just "know" what is right and wrong, and fail to do right by weakness of character, but that the world, and people in general, including us, are too complex to fix with easy answers. They also killed the idea that there are "pure" motives; that not only are there no pure "good" people, but there are no psychological motivations or attributes that cannot be corrupted for evil purposes. Superhero stories, in light of these revelations, had to distinguish between characters "being right" and "doing right", who required compelling psychological reasons for their larger than life acts.

And to be clear, Batman's "grim dark" approach to this wasn't the only way comics incorporated these lessons, just the most (over) imitated. Marvel, IMHO anyway, "flawed" heroes way more right on the whole than DC ever did OTL. So the evolution of TTL's Superman could be less towards "moral grey" and more the "learning curve" approach of Marvel heroes like Spiderman, Thor, etc.