The Man in the High Castle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thande

Donor
This is one I did a while back, although I think I may have got one or two things wrong - someone suggested that all the Axis allies had been absorbed directly into the Reich, but I couldn't find a reference to it in the book.

Red = the Reich
Pale red = Reich puppet states
Yellow = Japan
Pale yellow = Japanese puppet states
Brown = 'the Slavic reserve'
Teal = Rocky Mountain Neutral Zone
Green = Italian Empire
Pale blue = free states, or as free as you get in this world
Black = Destroyed.

Note that the Mediterranean has been drained as mentioned in the book.

The Man in the High Castle.GIF

HueyLong

Banned
Why wouldn't Italy control the Mediterranean basin? I don't think it was stated in the book, but that part of the map makes little sense.

Thande

Donor
HueyLong said:
Why wouldn't Italy control the Mediterranean basin? I don't think it was stated in the book, but that part of the map makes little sense.
I agree, but it was definitely described as German farmland in the book, and also said that the Italians had an empire in the Middle East, which I took to include North Africa.

Like I said, the information in the book is dispersed and vague, so I made some assumptions.

HueyLong

Banned
Italy should at least get the Adriatic, if not the entire E. Mediterranean.

Just out of simple logic, and a bit of artistic license.

Thande

Donor
HueyLong said:
Italy should at least get the Adriatic, if not the entire E. Mediterranean.
I repeat: it states in the book that the (entire) Mediterranean is German farmland.

What is explicitly stated in the book always takes priority over what is plausible.

HueyLong

Banned
But if he is going to use it for a TL or something (probably why he asked for it), the probable overtakes author's mistake.

Thande

Donor
HueyLong said:
But if he is going to use it for a TL or something (probably why he asked for it), the probable overtakes author's mistake.
If he was using it for a TL, yes. But from his initial post, I assume Res Publica meant he simply wanted a map to help keep track of what was going on as he read the book, and get a feel for the world.

If he did in fact want it for a TL then I apologise.

Greetings

Thanks for the Map, Thande, it was very helpfull.

Huey is correct, the map make little sence, but it is not your fault, Im right know reading the book, and Im really disapointed whith the story. There is to many gaps to even imply things with any degree of certainty, for example, the Mediterranean. The argument of huey is correct, but your map is also correct because the book did state than the Mediterranean is German Farmland, so even when that does not make sense politicaly or historicaly, is something that is imply in the book.

I had a lot of discussions in the A Map Thread theme, about a map than I made por the In the Presence of Mine Enemies, because I gave priority to the infamation stated in the book.

Res Publica
SPQR

Res Publica said:
Greetings

Thanks for the Map, Thande, it was very helpfull.

Huey is correct, the map make little sence, but it is not your fault, Im right know reading the book, and Im really disapointed whith the story. There is to many gaps to even imply things with any degree of certainty, for example, the Mediterranean. The argument of huey is correct, but your map is also correct because the book did state than the Mediterranean is German Farmland, so even when that does not make sense politicaly or historicaly, is something that is imply in the book.

I had a lot of discussions in the A Map Thread theme, about a map than I made por the In the Presence of Mine Enemies, because I gave priority to the infamation stated in the book.

Res Publica
SPQR

Well, it is not a Turtledove style AH book.
I won't say more; cause I might spoil things

Thande

Donor
Yes, it's more of Dick exploring the nature of reality than an AH book.

I think I can say that much.

NapoleonXIV

Banned
Thande said:
Yes, it's more of Dick exploring the nature of reality than an AH book.

I think I can say that much.

And also Dick exploring the nature of Dick, which to him was same/same. After this you have to read VALIS. However, it is a very definite AH book, pursuing themes too much neglected.

Leej said:
Destroyed?
Huh?
What is the meaning of the black areas?
Very long time since I read the book so can't remember what happened to Britain in the primary fascist victory scenario. Do remember there was reference to the slaughter of the black Africans in the Nazi controlled areas but would view that as the territory being destroyed. Would have presumed it was settled, where practical by yet more Germans - wherever they are all coming from. On the other hand as I say its a long time ago so could be forgetting.

Steve

Diamond

Banned
You never did answer my question, Thandie.
What happened to the Black Sea? I could've sworn only the Med was drained.

Diamond said:
You never did answer my question, Thandie.
What happened to the Black Sea? I could've sworn only the Med was drained.
Where does that leave the Bosporus?

How would you go about draining the Med, anyway. Only the part west of Italy should be farmed, if any part is at all.

Diamond

Banned
Wendell said:
Where does that leave the Bosporus?

How would you go about draining the Med, anyway. Only the part west of Italy should be farmed, if any part is at all.
I dunno. It's been years since I read the book. Maybe they dammed the Bosporus and use the resulting electricity to power Europe? :)

Thande

Donor
@Diamond: I just assumed that, if you drained the Med, the Black Sea would come with it. But I suppose they could have dammed it for the water.

@Leej: In the case of Africa, it was described as "a smoking ruin" and also a failure for whatever Nazi plan it was. IIRC, they were supposed to have just used chemical and biological weapons to exterminate the entire black population, but got overzealous and whatever they used actually desolated the entire continent as well.

In the case of Britain, IIRC it was completely obliterated by strategic bombing in revenge for the UK's last-ditch firebombing raids that destroyed Dresden in TTL (as in OTL, sort of). You'll note that this nicely lets Dick sidestep the issue of Sea Lion.

Man in the high castle is simply not a book to be looked at the way other, more typical AH novels are.
The book it self says, that the world it is in is wrong!
So don't bother, just enjoy the ride ...

Status
Not open for further replies.