First flight Ellehammer before Wright?

We all know the story about that the Wright Brothers flew in 1903. But 3 years later a Scandinavian inventor Jacob Ellehammer flew his own plane.

I wonder if Ellehammer had been first and been able to attract investors and had been able to develop his design further. What would that have meant? Could that potentially have meant a more powerful Denmark?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Ellehammer

Maxim flew before Wright. The only difference is that the Wright Flyer didn't crash (Maxim's design wasn't stable or something like that). You have to land in a controlled manner and in one piece to get the record.

I don't think it would do much for Denmark.

Archibald

Banned
There was a bunch of inventors that lifted off before the Wrights, but that was not controlled flight. Clement Ader was one of them. There was a Chanute disciple in 1896, and a guy called Weisskopf or Whitehead in 1901, and another I forgot the name, in August 1903.
The Wright brothers were the first to make a controlled flight - pick the moment when you lift off, turn in flight, land at your own will (although they didn't achieve all this in December 1903, admittedly).
The Wright other contribution was that their bicycle business allowed them to self-fund their experiments. That helped a lot. No need for government or billionaire funding.

TThe Wright brothers were the first to make a controlled flight - pick the moment when you lift off, turn in flight, land at your own will (although they didn't achieve all this in December 1903, admittedly).
Wilbur worked on that you did not just jump in a plane and fly it. You had to learn to do so. That is why he and his brother trained on gliders. As a historical note but for the fact that it was Orville's turn to take the stick it could have be Wilbur who would have been the first man.

They would still be behind Weißkopf, who truely did the first flight!

EDIT: GUYS SERIOUSLY!!!! SARCASM!!!!
but seriously, someone should aknowledge whitehead...

Last edited:
Yes if Weißkopf was actually first. I read the Wikipedia article and came to the conclusion of possible but unproven. He certainly knew had to build and power an aeroplane so possible. No photos or mass observation of his "pre Wright" flights hence unproven.

Also, it is very difficult to change history when it is wrong.

EDIT: GUYS SERIOUSLY!!!! SARCASM!!!!
but seriously, someone should aknowledge whitehead...(1)

1) Jane's Aircraft 2013 gave the credit to Gustave Whitehead over the Wright Brothers. Doing more discredit to themselves, their researchers, and publishers than to anyone else. The contributions to aviation by the Wrights were enormous. Whitehead made none. Even Bleriot and the other early European aviation pioneers admitted how far ahead the Wrights were over their work in the first decade of the 20th century. Somewhere, the shades of Glenn Curtiss and Samuel P. Langley are smiling. (2)

2) Curtiss did his utmost to violate the Wright's patents by claiming that they stole them from Langley, to the point of Curtiss staging faked demonstrations purporting to show that Langley's "Aerodrome" aircraft was flyable. Until he was exposed as having put 37 different improvements over Langley's original design, and using a pilot. Didn't stop Curtiss from stealing the Wright Brothers' patents, though.:mad:

Whitehead may or may not have flown in 1901. He had the advantage of documenting his flight in 1901, but failed to get photos or films of his aircraft in flight. No such photo or film has ever been found or reported. The report of his flight in the front page headline of the Bridgeport Post (today known as the Connecticut Post), the main newspaper for SW Connecticut, only published a sketching of the aircraft in flight, which doesn't speak well for proper authentication.

But at best, Whitehead only built yet another in a long line of reported "flying contraptions", not true aircraft. And I say this as someone who grew up playing in the very fields where Whitehead was said to have made his flight(s). Even the people who "recreated" his aircraft (using an ultralight engine) readily admit that they have not any real idea of what the true engine was like (I knew these people as acquaintances back in the 70s and 80s) beyond it being a lot heavier and less efficient than their installed 1980s era ultralight.

Also, the head of the project himself admitted to me personally that Whitehead had no real control of his machine's flight beyond shifting his weight. Not exactly the same as the aerilons, rudders, and flaps seen on the Wright Brothers Flyer or their later designs.

We all know the story about that the Wright Brothers flew in 1903. But 3 years later a Scandinavian inventor Jacob Ellehammer flew his own plane.

I wonder if Ellehammer had been first and been able to attract investors and had been able to develop his design further. What would that have meant? Could that potentially have meant a more powerful Denmark?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Ellehammer

Well, maybe fleets of Danish heavy bombers blasting the Heer as they tried to advance up the Danish Peninsula?:D

Yes if Weißkopf was actually first. I read the Wikipedia article and came to the conclusion of possible but unproven. He certainly knew had to build and power an aeroplane so possible. No photos or mass observation of his "pre Wright" flights hence unproven.

Also, it is very difficult to change history when it is wrong.

Well put. I think though the Smithsonian Institute could have spared itself a lot of grief if it weren't hamstrung by its ironclad contract with the Wright Family.

Last edited:
Oh, I've read about Ellehammer.

"Who flew first ?" is a question that is very relative and depends on the context and the details.

Theoretically, Ader, Maxim and Pierpont Langley also flew before the Wright brothers, even if it was just a few meters. Pilcher also came close, but he died before he could test out his motorised glider. Years later, the exact replica of the glider was proven to be fairly flight-capable under its own power. :cool: And if you ask nationalist Brazilians, they will insist that Santos-Dumont was the first aviator, and the Wright brothers are frauds, because their aircraft took off and landed without wheels (which, according to them, somehow makes powered, controlled flight invalid). :rolleyes:

The operative words we are looking for here is "powered and controlled flight". Throw any of those two adjectives out of the equation and the inventor's achievement becomes only half-baked. What the Wright brothers did right was not only taking off and landing under the planes own power (i.e. not a 'brief jump, with a kick from the plane's engine'), but also being to control that very same plane while in flight. By control, I mean the ability to control the machine's pitch, yaw and altitute seamlessly and without complicated measures, while that same machine is actively and steadily flying under its own power for any given distance, as long as it has fuel for propulsion (instead of 'jumping in the air and drifting there for a few seconds before being overcome by gravity again').

Archibald

Banned
And if you ask nationalist Brazilians, they will insist that Santos-Dumont was the first aviator, and the Wright brothers are frauds, because their aircraft took off and landed without wheels (which, according to them, somehow makes powered, controlled flight invalid). :rolleyes:

Well the very same things happened with the French OTL. Until the end of his life in the 60's Gabriel Voisin ferociously considered the Wrights as frauds, because a) Ader had flown before them and b) himself and Henri Farman had flown in 1906... without a catapult. That catapult was at the center of a major controversy.
Oh well...
IT took me a long time to understand the notion of what a CONTROLLED flight is. But once I understood my opinion was done - as of 1904 the Wrights were the first and only to control a flying machine, and, well, that what matters above all.
A lift off without control is not flying, it is only delaying the unavoidable, that is, a CRASH. That what happened to Ader with the Avion III in 1897.
There were liftoffs before the Wright, there's no question about that, but to liftoff is not to fly.