Austro-Hungarian civil war

What would had happen if a mass civil war breaks in the 30's? POD is the Central powers won World war 1. (My money is on the Hungarians;))

What would had happen if a mass civil war breaks in the 30's? POD is the Central powers won World war 1. (My money is on the Hungarians;))

Why particularly?

The Magyars are barely a majority in Hungary (less than a majority if Croatia is included), and Hungary (even with Croatia) has in turn only a minority of the Empire's population. So they are a minority of a minority. What enables them to win?

Why particularly?

The Magyars are barely a majority in Hungary (less than a majority if Croatia is included), and Hungary (even with Croatia) has in turn only a minority of the Empire's population. So they are a minority of a minority. What enables them to win?

Hungary had a bigger population than Austria.

Added on to the above point about population, Austria would presumably have the support of Germany in the civil war. Against that the Hungarians would really only be able receive meaningful aid from Russia and/or Italy. I don't see how they'd be able to win the war at all.

Added on to the above point about population, Austria would presumably have the support of Germany in the civil war. Against that the Hungarians would really only be able receive meaningful aid from Russia and/or Italy. I don't see how they'd be able to win the war at all.

Germany most likely not enter the war. Berlin will not like it, but it is not they fight.

Well, I think the Hungarians want to leave the Empire which is considered too Austrian (the capital is in Austria). Some Hungarian leaders want to establish a new Republic but the Habsburgs who see themselves as Austrian as Hungarian go on tour across the country. Meanwhile, the Slovak, Croatian, Romanian and Jewish minorities of the Kingdom of Hungary refuse to participate in this Hungarian revolt and call for the independence of their regions while remaining part of the Empire.
The Hungarian government realizes that their fight for the end of the Empire is impossible since they are afraid of losing more than they stand to gain. The Emperor dissolves the Dual Monarchy and creates a confederate Empire with several sovereign states (Austria, Hungary, Transylvania, Carniola, Croatia-Slavonia, Bohemia-Moravia, Slovakia). The only link between these states is the Emperor (who reigns, but does not govern).

Last edited:

Deleted member 1487

The majority of which hate the Magyars due to horrible ethnic chauvanism. IIRC at the time the Austrian half of the empire was significantly larger, which is why the Austrians had to pay the bulk of combined national bills (67% to 33%).

Germany most likely not enter the war. Berlin will not like it, but it is not they fight.

Why wouldn't they enter the war? Their closest ally is being thrown into a civil war because half of their country is attempting to secede. It is completely in their interest to enter the war on Austria's side.

(My money is on the Hungarians;))
Why? Austrian are going to support all not Hungarian nation in Hungary like there is no tomorrow. And if Austrians are smart enough, they gave crown to Croats for support of Wiena, maybe something to Czechs (after WWI is lost to Entente, all hopes are lost so even something is better then nothing). Barely 60% of population were Hungarians in multi ethnic Hungarian kingdom. With a luck, Hungarians are screwed bit less then they were after Trianon. Lands with 3.5 mil Romanians will be promised to Romania, maybe Slovak principality will be created.

Really? In amount of Hungarians? Hungarians bit over 10 mil, Germans, bit over 12 mil. Hungarians had more oppressed or not to happy nationalities. Romanians, Slovaks, Croats, Ruthenians and much much less industry. What are they going to fight with? With weapons supplies from Romania? Basically all they neighbours are their enemies. Maybe Poles (if there is Poland) could be sympathetic, but, there are Slovaks and Ruthenians in between.

I read somewhere that the Habsburgs wanted to create a new Kingdom of Poland after the war. I don't know if they wanted it as an independent state or as a part of the Empire.
P.S: please, tell me if my english is not correct.

Why? Austrian are going to support all not Hungarian nation in Hungary like there is no tomorrow. And if Austrians are smart enough, they gave crown to Croats for support of Wiena, maybe something to Czechs (after WWI is lost to Entente, all hopes are lost so even something is better then nothing). Barely 60% of population were Hungarians in multi ethnic Hungarian kingdom. With a luck, Hungarians are screwed bit less then they were after Trianon. Lands with 3.5 mil Romanians will be promised to Romania, maybe Slovak principality will be created.

Not if Hungary makes a deal to the Croats and Czechs first.

Not if Hungary makes a deal to the Croats and Czechs first.
What deal they can make to Croats or Czechs? Like hey Croats, you are independent kingdom now? As far as I know Croats were always leaning more to Wienna. And what they can offer to Czechs, epsepcially after crushed hopes that WWI will bring them more freedom? Even here Wienna holds more cards. Actually more Czechs soldiers fought for Wienna, and they fought well, then for Masaryk, Benes and Stefanik. Same goes for Slovaks. They are screwed. And industry? How they are going to support their war effort?

I read somewhere that the Habsburgs wanted to create a new Kingdom of Poland after the war. I don't know if they wanted it as an independent state or as a part of the Empire.

As I understand it they wen't through various versions of which some made Poland part of Austria-Hungary and others made it a client. The one they settled on would have made Poland an independent client state. They even went so far as to begin issuing currency and established a regency council to pick the king.

What deal they can make to Croats or Czechs? Like hey Croats, you are independent kingdom now? As far as I know Croats were always leaning more to Wienna. And what they can offer to Czechs, epsepcially after crushed hopes that WWI will bring them more freedom? Even here Wienna holds more cards. Actually more Czechs soldiers fought for Wienna, and they fought well, then for Masaryk, Benes and Stefanik. Same goes for Slovaks. They are screwed. And industry? How they are going to support their war effort?

Hungary have to have some allies. I sure they find some one.

Deleted member 1487

Your english was just fine, I would not have known you weren't a native writer if you hadn't asked for a review.
Yes, they did want to do either, their minds changed repeatedly about Poland.

Deleted member 1487

Hungary have to have some allies. I sure they find some one.

No, they had nothing but enemies; no one liked the Magyars at this time, not even their supposed ethnic allies the Croats. This was because of the extreme behavior of the ruling class toward all other ethnic groups.

No, they had nothing but enemies; no one liked the Magyars at this time, not even their supposed ethnic allies the Croats. This was because of the extreme behavior of the ruling class toward all other ethnic groups.
Something like that. And actually, just a small pick from history. Romanians, Croats and Slovaks as Germany allies during WWII almost formed Second Litle Entente agianst Hungarians. Only Berlin strong opposition stopped it. Some cool example of Croats love for Hungary.