WI: Doctor Who remains on Hiatus/Cancelled.

Hello all, I watched Sfdebries video on the cancellation of Doctor Who, which was back in 1989. It lead me to wonder what the impact would have been had Doctor who not been relaunched in 2005, specifically how fans would take the notion of the Fiftieth Anniversary passing without note. I personally feel that had DW not been brought back then there propable would be enough inertia within the fanbase to keep it somewhat mainstream for atleast another decade, but it would be increasingly shifting to cult status. Of course there would be no Torchwood and therefore John Barrowmans career would be a lot different, also there would be less of a following stateside.

Please let me know your thoughts, and not to advertise, but I do have a 'DBWI' down in SW on this very premise.

That is all
Luath.

If DW remains on hiatus, Paul McGann wouldn't be able to take the role as the Doctor in first place, as the 1996 movie would be existing.

Garrison

Donor
Doctor who would still be big, but the last doctor (Paul Mcgann) will make the series lose some fans.

Leaving aside the point that movie wouldn't be made if it remained on hiatus why would Paul McGann drive fans away? The movie got a good audience in the UK and PM was a good doctor. The Eighth Doctor audio dramas are generally very good and the BBC made them at least semi-canon by having his companions name checked in the Night of the Doctor

As to the OP this page might be useful:

http://io9.com/5962840/the-complete-guide-to-every-single-doctor-who-anniversary-special-ever

Without the revival 'Scream of the Shalka' would remain canon and if it did well enough you might see an animated run turning up CBBC or BBC3. If that doesn't happen then you might see an audio adventure being commissioned by Radio 4 and some reruns on BBC3 or 4 but not much more than that.