WI: Siri becomes Pope in 1978

Would it pretty much be John Paul II a few months earlier?

Not quite.

Siri was considerably more conservative - not say, outright traditionalist - than John Paul II.

Lots of butterflies from this one. The looming SSPX schism is likely headed off, but the probability of one or more on the left would significantly increase. And then there's the whole issue of Poland. Solidarity was already coming into existence anyway; but their intensity would be likely limited without the impetus of Wojtyla's election and later visit to Poland in June 1979.

Siri, where's a good restaurant nearby?
Siri, find me a bookstore.
Siri, explain to me the difference between transsubstantiation, insubstantiation and consubstantiation.

Not quite.

Siri was considerably more conservative - not say, outright traditionalist - than John Paul II.

Lots of butterflies from this one. The looming SSPX schism is likely headed off, but the probability of one or more on the left would significantly increase. And then there's the whole issue of Poland. Solidarity was already coming into existence anyway; but their intensity would be likely limited without the impetus of Wojtyla's election and later visit to Poland in June 1979.

Right, the PolComs would have less trouble barring an Italian from visiting than the world's most famous Pole.

With the SSPX, not so sure. If Lefebvre makes the declaration on the Council he did OTL, Siri might still be peeved. Traditionalist or not, Siri signed all the documents Lefebvre now condemns, and would have been at the best annoyed at someone defying his authority. *Econe would likely have occured later, though.

Of course, there would be no World Youth Day, so the Papacy might seem more rarified ITL. Most of the Curia would likely remain clerics.

Siri, where's a good restaurant nearby?
Siri, find me a bookstore.
Siri, explain to me the difference between transsubstantiation, insubstantiation and consubstantiation.

I went looking for the "like" button. :D Sigged.

Seriously, though, nothing probably very good... I don't want to generalise but his conservatism and roots in the Italian hierarchy might have inhibited the sort of global outreach JPII propelled. I could see there being fewer Africans, Asians, and Latin Americans following Catholicism to evangelical/pentecostal Christianity's gain.

I doubt there'd be anything as extreme as a schism but I imagine the clientelism within the Curia that brought BXVI to resign would become unbearable without the centralising reforms of JPII. In short the Church would be very ill-prepared (if it could be any worse) to face the various crises of the turn of the millenium which it has stood up to fairly well.

EDIT: Can't sig. Bollocks.

Not quite.

What would such a leftist split look like? Would it be much like the SSPX or would they be more willing to go whole hog with an anti-pope?