WI: Henry Ford wins 1918 Michigan Senate Election

In 1918 President Woodrow Wilson tapped businessman Henry Ford to run in Michigan as a Senator, Ford lost by 2% (7567 votes out of more the 430,000 cast). The 1918 elections also gave Republicans control of the Senate and House, the Senate by only 2 seats. If Ford wins Michigan than the Senate is tied at 48 Senators each, Vice-President Marshall providing the tie-breaker.

2 questions, 1.) What would Ford do in the Senate, and 2.) What can the Democrats do while barely holding onto the Senate but having lost the House?

One wonders how much of Ford's antisemitism would surface.

An alternative to this scenario involves Wisconsin senator Paul O. Husting.

He was accidentally shot to death by his brother during a hunting trip in the fall of 1917 (it seems Husting told his brother to shoot at a flock of birds and then stood up to get his own shot off, forgetting he was in the line of fire)

Husting's seat went GOP in the special election in 1918 but he wasn't up until 1920 so had he lived the same scenario.

My guess is not a lot of change even with the treaty but it is an interesting thing to ponder

If the Dems hold the Senate then Hitchcock, not Lodge, is FRC chair, but the League still gets shot down because Wilson won't compromise. Doubt much changes domestically. As for Ford, he could get involved in some major controversy which combined with the GOP wave in 1924, makes him a one-termer.

If Ford is a senator, would he have to give up some of his obsessive control of the car company? There was a period when he almost drove the company under by clinging to the Model a and t. Also 'any color you want, as long as it's black'.

Loosening his control could keep Ford #1.

If Ford is a senator, would he have to give up some of his obsessive control of the car company? There was a period when he almost drove the company under by clinging to the Model a and t. Also 'any color you want, as long as it's black'.

Loosening his control could keep Ford #1.

I thought Edsel became President of the company in 1919.

There was a famous remark that Calvin Coolidge was the most popular man in the country in 1924—besides Henry Ford. I'm surprised the very real possibility of President Ford hasn't been mentioned.

There was a famous remark that Calvin Coolidge was the most popular man in the country in 1924—besides Henry Ford. I'm surprised the very real possibility of President Ford hasn't been mentioned.

Apparently, he would have run if Harding didn't die in '23.

One wonders how much of Ford's antisemitism would surface.

Given that Henry Ford only had an 8th grade education and was something of a control freak, I suspect that he may prove to be an embarrassment to the Republican Party. Problem is that as the founder of one of Michigan's largest employers he's too important to ignore which could make things rather awkward.

Given that Henry Ford only had an 8th grade education and was something of a control freak, I suspect that he may prove to be an embarrassment to the Republican Party.

Reminder, he ran as a Democrat in 1918, even by 1924 or 1928 I don't think the Republicans would consider a turncoat for the Presidency. And he probably couldn't win as a Democrat, considering how toxic the party label was (34.2% in 1920, 28.8% in 1924, and 40.8% in 1928) even he likely couldn't save them.