how many states would the US carve from the Phillipeans

In a timeline where the USA keeps the Christian areas of the Phillipeans and turn them into states how many would be carved from the Islands and what would be likely division.

Is there a particular reason to assume the US would just not give the whole territory statehood if for some reason local residents desired statehood? As far as I know, the Phillipines were never considered a candidate for Statehood and by the 1930's it was on a trajectory for eventual independence. If you want to speculate about an eventual Phillipine US state, what would change to make this a reaslistic option for both the US and Phillipinos (massive "white" US emmigration to the Phillipines to the extent Anglos became the majority perhaps?)

You could have three states broken down like this:
map-regions-2.jpg

One would be Luzon, another Visayas, and lastly Mindanao. (Sorry for large picture)

3 - 5, not surely one. Population is quiet large. And problem is that there is multiple different ethnic groups.

You could have three states broken down like this:
One would be Luzon, another Visayas, and lastly Mindanao. (Sorry for large picture)

Yep. The long-existing administrative divisions make for pretty good state borders.

3 - 5, not surely one. Population is quiet large. And problem is that there is multiple different ethnic groups.

Thing about the US is that tends to stop being a problem once inside. Sure, you get gang wars or whatever, but nothing like the fighting some other countries have that tear them apart.

One state for Luzon north of Manila, one for southern Luzon and the surrounding islands, one for Mindanao and the surrounding islands, and one for the islands in between. Four in total.

What would the abbreviation for Mindanao be?
MI, MN, MD, MA and MO are all taken. Would they bring in three-letter abbreviations for it?

Well if this happens before WW2(if there is even a WW2)you could bet your house this would radically change East Asian politics and American politics, like the fact that if Japan gets the urge to attack it neighbour it would face military opposition that isnt weak or slim. Or the fact that the US now has a large muslim population in the Philippines and the large non-european population.

Also several question in my part:
how would the Philippines vote would they be republican or Democrat?
What would the social effect be to the Continental US
How would this change Cuba and the rest of latin America?
And when China finally gets its self together and out of the Warlord Era(under PRC or ROC your pick) how would a US that has states in the Asia act towards the Chinese?

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
A late family friend of ours was the daughter of Filipino

enthusiast for statehood who named her "Filame" for Filipino-American. She was born in the 40s or 50s, so I think only a fringe at that time still thought it statehood was possible for the Philippines.

What would the abbreviation for Mindanao be?
MI, MN, MD, MA and MO are all taken. Would they bring in three-letter abbreviations for it?
Why not make Maryland MR and Mindanao MD? Any Philippine-statehood timeline is going to have a POD before the 1963 introduction of two-letter codes.

EDIT: Better suggestion. Michigan -> MC, Mindanao -> MI. Md. has been associated with Maryland for a long time.

katchen

Banned
Statehood for the Philippines was ruled out in 1907--because Filipinos were not of the White Race. For the Philippines to be considered for statehood, a great many different things would have needed to have happened stateside by and around 1907. The US Government would need to be repudiating racism and the corrupt bargain by which the South was permitted to disenfranchise African-Americans. The US would have had to have decided that skin color and epicanthic folds on ones eyes were irrelevant.
In short, perhaps we are looking at a much earlier POD creating a much different United States. Perhaps a prerequisite for Philippine statehood is to butterfly away the War of 1812 and events leading up to it.

People don't seem to be paying attention to the fact that the OP said only the Christian parts, meaning Mindanao would either be a Territory or made independent, so of the remainder it would be two states, Luzon and Visayas (the last S may end-up being dropped to make it just Visaya).

In John Brunner's "Stand on Zanzibar" which I can recommend to everyone, the Philippines have become the new state Isola.

And I think the number of states would depend on when they enter the Union. I have no numbers, but I guess that their Population grew very fast, faster than the US one. Of course, you could split them later...