New York city as a city-state

Can anyone think of a way where New York city would have become its own city-state? not unlike berlin or maybe hong kong?

Mayor Fernando Wood proposed it in early 1861 after the Confederacy seceded, but I don't remember anyone else taking the measure up, and I don't think even he was seriously considering it as more than a threat.

Besides that, someone on this forum once suggested that the British could keep New York after the American Revolution, which could lead to its becoming a city-state like Hong Kong.

In Jared's classic Decades of Darkness timeline, New York, New Jersey, and New England leave the US early on and set up their own federation. New York gradually gets split up into smaller states (such as Long Island, which includes NYC) because it would be awkwardly large otherwise.

Okay...

If NYC forms it's own Mini Nation apart from the rest of the USA, where do they get their water from, their power, & food. What do they base their economy on if not tied to USA? How would they earn money to pay for things they don't have, resources beyond reach. :rolleyes:

If NYC forms it's own Mini Nation apart from the rest of the USA, where do they get their water from, their power, & food. What do they base their economy on if not tied to USA? How would they earn money to pay for things they don't have, resources beyond reach. :rolleyes:

You could say the same about any city-state. Like, Singapore.

Anyway, what if the Dutch retain New Amsterdam?

Can anyone think of a way where New York city would have become its own city-state? not unlike berlin or maybe hong kong?
So have George III's wish to have some strongholds kept in the form of Rhode Island, Manhattan Island, Staten Island, Long Island, and Delmarva for future reconquests of the colonies perhaps? The loyalists could jam in there.

Trade and commerce make a tiny bit of money.

The British were in possession of New York at the end of the ARW--is there any chance they could use that to demand it be established under joint British-American sovereingty?

If Cornwallis can pull off a Washington and extract the British Army from Yorktown then perhaps the Colonies are given their Independence but the British keep the areas that they control and want to keep.

Well it's not they're going to immediate wall off the border and become like the two Koreas or start embargoing them as with Cuba, sure there's likely to be some bad feelings to begin with but eventually I'd expect trade and commerce to win out. One thing I do have to wonder about is if this might see competitors to New York arising so that less people emigrate there and it doesn't grow as large. Boston's not too far away, but I don't know enough about the early US to say what might be a viable alternative or not.

I would look at Newark NJ. It is just down the coast and has a good harbor.
England would need to select the governors carefully for several years. Also if they stopped the naval impressions that would help.

I would look at Newark NJ. It is just down the coast and has a good harbor.
England would need to select the governors carefully for several years. Also if they stopped the naval impressions that would help.

Britain isn't going to base war policy on the interests of one city in North America.

I could see NYC being occupied in a analog War of 1812 and then returned by treaty at the end of the war.