Turn the Paige: Baseball Integrates in the 1930's

While the old “gentleman’s agreement” effectively segregated baseball, support for it drifted among players and managers by the 1930’s. John McGraw kept a personal list of black players he wished he could have hired to play for the Giants. It would take an enterprising owner to break baseball’s color barrier, one that came in the form of Chicago Cubs owner Philip K. Wrigley.

October 3, 1932:
The year was one of heartbreak for Chicago Cubs owner Philip K. Wrigley on multiple levels. William Wrigley, Jr., father to Philip, died in January. While the Cubs managed to win the National League pennant, they were swept by the New York Yankees in the World Series. Press about Babe Ruth’s infamous “called shot” in Game 3 at Wrigley Field overshadowed everything.

Still, Wrigley was curious about scouting reports he heard from the Negro Leagues about a young pitcher named Satchel Paige. He was believed by some scouts to be the best pitcher in America. While Wrigley had never seen Paige pitch himself, he wondered if such real dominance on the mound could have made a difference against the likes of Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig. There was nothing expressly forbidding the signing of black players apart from a gentleman’s agreement among the owners, an unspoken “color line” so to speak. Wrigley doubted Commissioner Landis would stop him from signing a black player despite rumors that Landis was against integrating organized white baseball.

In his office, Wrigley hesitated. If Landis did block the purchase of Satchel Paige, then he would look like a fool to the other owners. It was no secret that many owners did not like the heavy handed style of Judge Landis even if he did save the integrity of baseball by banning the Black Sox.

“To hell with it,” Wrigley said to himself before he grabbed the candlestick phone on his desk. He had a call to make with one of his scouts.

~*~*~

To some, the young Philip Wrigley seemed the unlikeliest to push for an integrated major league ball club. Wrigley’s desire to maximize media coverage of his club ran contrary to thoughts of Wrigley being against integration. 1932 seemed to be the perfect storm for one man to purchase two players who otherwise would have been barred from major league baseball had the color line persisted. Resistance towards integrated baseball was futile in the end. The Chicago Cubs became the favorite team of many in the black community and since Wrigley made mass media coverage of his club’s games possible, black and white households alike could sing the praises of Satchel Paige and Josh Gibson.
-Martin Luther King, Jr., 1972

~*~*~

In many ways, Satchel Paige was stunned to receive an invitation to visit the owner of a National League ball club. He was born in Mobile, Alabama, a state which embraced segregation as a tradition. It was a source of frustration for many he knew simply because, as Paige understood, blacks were as capable of whites to play baseball. And it seemed as if Philip K. Wrigley agreed with him, getting Paige on the first train from Pittsburgh to Chicago.

Paige wore his best suit and smiled as he was allowed in to Wrigley’s office. There were some stares, but Paige ignored them. He saw Philip K. Wrigley sitting at a cluttered desk. There were two chairs across from his desk, with one already occupied by Cubs player-manager Charlie Grimm.

“Glad you could make it,” said Wrigley, rising to greet Paige. He shook the black pitcher’s hand from across his desk, a show of respect.

Charlie Grimm also rose, seeming a bit more uncomfortable with the situation. He took shook Paige’s hand firmly. “Welcome to Chicago,” the Missouri native simply said before taking his seat again.

“Thank you, sir,” Paige said to Grimm. Then to Wrigley, he stated, “It’s an honor to be here, Mr. Wrigley.”

Wrigley smiled to Paige and said, “Please. Have a seat.”

Paige could feel some slight tension from Grimm as he took a seat across Wrigley. Paige knew why he was being invited to have an audience with Philip K. Wrigley. Though some of his teammates with the Pittsburgh Crawfords cautioned Paige, his manager Oscar Charleston and owner Gus Greenlee were very supportive of the trip.

“I know you heard the results of our World Series with the Yankees,” stated Wrigley. The series was two weeks in the past, but the results still stung for Wrigley.

“I did, sir,” said Paige. “I heard the Yankees put a whooping on your team.”

Grimm winced at the statement, but there was little denying it was true. The Yankees gave the Cubs a beating in the series despite the strength of the Cubs roster, including its pitching.

“That’s one way to put it,” Wrigley said uncomfortably. “It was a disappointing series. But I do see there is still room to improve my club. Three of my pitchers won 30 games this past season. Not one of them won a game in the World Series. I think there is room for a pitcher like you on the staff, but you would need time in Los Angeles before we could call you up to our team. We need to make sure you are ready.”

“Where do I sign?” asked Paige. There was not much room for hesitation. He was being offered a minor league contract with the Los Angeles Angels with the understanding that he would be called up to the Chicago Cubs.

Wrigley smiled. “That’s what I like to hear,” he said. “My scouts also told me about one of your teammates who could hit the ball farther than anyone they’ve ever seen. What can you tell me about Josh Gibson?”

“He’s better than Babe Ruth,” Paige bluntly replied.

Grimm wore a smirk on his face. “I’m not sure that’s possible,” said the Cubs manager.

Wrigley waved off Grimm’s quip. “I’m told he’s a catcher,” the Cubs owner said. “We already have a catcher. Would he be willing to learn another position? If he’s as good as you say he is, I also want him on my team.”

“He’ll do it if you sign him,” stated Paige. It was a good assumption. Being signed by a major league ball club, even to a minor league deal, was the unattainable dream of everyone who played on a Negro League team. There was no doubt he’d deal with racism, but Paige was already used to racism. He was simply going to get the chance to prove his worth.

Wrigley handed Paige a contract to play for the Los Angeles Angels for a season with a chance of getting promoted to the Chicago Cubs afterwards. Paige gleefully signed the contract.

~*~*~

Charlie Grimm could not believe what he witnessed. After Satchel Paige left Philip K. Wrigley’s office, Grimm looked at his boss. “Are you sure Landis is going to go with this?” Grimm asked. “You just signed Satchel Paige and you’re already talking about signing Josh Gibson.”

“Leave Commissioner Landis to me,” Wrigley said before Grimm took his leave. Wrigley began drafting a letter to be delivered to Landis’ Chicago office.

~*~*~

Two days later…

Philip K. Wrigley stewed in his seat across from Commissioner Landis. The old Federal judge ruled Major League Baseball with an iron fist. The signing of a player from the Negro Leagues was something Wrigley knew other owners would not like, which is why Landis had to approve of the deal he was making with Satchel Paige and Gus Greenlee. Wrigley had already agreed to purchase the contracts of Satchel Paige and Josh Gibson from Greenlee's Pittsburgh Crawfords on the condition of the approval of Commissioner Landis. It was a risky strategy, but Wrigley felt he could soften the landing for both players if they were both on the same team.

“So you invited a Negro League player to your office and had him sign a contract to play for Los Angeles,” Landis stated. “You never consulted me about this and nor did you consider the implications of this deal.”

“I never consulted you until I had a signed contract in my hands,” replied Wrigley. “That much is true. Where you are wrong is my consideration of the implications. I know it will upset other owners who are looking to keep black ball players off the teams and even other players who do not want to be on the same team as a black player. It may even hurt my chewing gum business because some people would not want to buy chewing gum from a man who hired a black ball player. But is this not the land of opportunity, Commissioner? Can you honestly tell me it’s fair and just for some to be excluded from our clubs just because of their skin color? You were a judge who was not afraid to take a stand in the name of justice. What’s stopping you now? You know if you approve of this deal, the other owners will grumble, but do nothing. You were brought here to be the law.”

Landis stroked his clean shaven chin and studied Wrigley. “Are you doing this to help your club or are you doing this for a publicity stunt?” the Commissioner inquired.

“You saw what the Yankees did to my pitching staff,” Wrigley answered. “Why would I not want to improve my team with another pitcher?”

“Then you have my blessing,” said Landis. “I liked your father and I was sorry to hear about his passing. You both share a vision for baseball and I think you are on the right track.”

“Thank you,” said the stunned Wrigley. Then quickly, he added, “How would you feel about me signing another black player?”

“You want two?” asked a curious Landis. “I’m not sure that’s a good idea. I can see other owners dismissing one black player as a publicity stunt, but they might not like two.”

“Trust me,” said Wrigley. “They’ll be mad because they didn’t think of doing it first. I hear this Josh Gibson can hit the ball better than anyone. Even Babe Ruth.”

Landis grinned. He had a turbulent relationship with the Yankee slugger. That statement alone seemed to convince Landis to go along with Wrigley’s idea. “If he’s as good as you hear, I’ll go watch your games personally.”

Wrigley smiled as he stood. “You won’t regret this, Commissioner.”

Landis rose and the two shook hands. Little did they know, their meeting changed the United States forever.

Last edited:
Good start.

Two questions:

1. Are you going to carry this to today?
2. How frequent will your updates be?

Interesting idea. I can't see any massive rush to integrate at that time, although given how good Paige and Gibson apparently were there might well be some owners who try their luck with other black players.

Hmmm... there is a story rumour that Paige had struck out Babe in an exhibition game in the early 30s...

maybe the Babe could rage at the upper management for not hiring Paige so that he wouldn't ever have to face him again..

likewise maybe the Babe can recommend the Yankee upper management to hire another African American Pitcher from the Negro League that was marked as the second best pitcher next to Satchel... :D

a personal rival to Satchel in pitching skill and personal pride...

meh... Gonna be a interesting reading here....

Last edited: