Books from Alternate Worlds

The title speaks for itself... :D

In MsWhatsittoya's TL:

1382036150-cdq.png

1382036972-soviet1.png

Wow, when did you have the time to make these? I just have to post these in my TL's thread. what's the first one about? and the second one (even through I have a good idea)

The first one is a real book where Charles de Gaulle exposed his idea of a professional, armored, mecanised and armed corps "capable to act immediately" with air support, etc... In short, it's blitzkrieg... The problem is that OTL nobody heard him. Maybe his book could have been a sort of "Infanterie greift an" or "Achtung - Panzer !" in your TL. :rolleyes:

The first one is a real book where Charles de Gaulle exposed his idea of a professional, armored, mecanised and armed corps "capable to act immediately" with air support, etc... In short, it's blitzkrieg... The problem is that OTL nobody heard him. Maybe his book could have been a sort of "Infanterie greift an" or "Achtung - Panzer !" in your TL. :rolleyes:

Oh really? I wasn't aware that de Gaulle wrote a book about essentially, Blitzkreig, forgive me, true enough, I guess that's a good idea.

what's with the eye rolling?

2ql8h1y.png
29aw6jb.png

"A lot of people hate my skepticism, and I think I understand why. The psychics offer wonders and endless possibilities in a world that often seems difficult and mundane. They promise health, wealth, wisdom, eternal life. But if you examine the record, it's not the psychics but the hard-nosed scientists who have actually delivered the things that improve human life. And, to me, science describes a world far more interesting than any psychic fantasy."

[FONT=&quot]Two books by Uri Geller, the famed exposer of so-called psychics, fraudsters and tricksters and President of the International Skeptics Association.[/FONT]

In fact, I've just remembered I have at least one fictional, AH-themed thriller/spy novel devised for the ATL 1960s/1970s of my Sparrow Avengers universe. Here it is :

attachment.php

Translation of the front cover :

The Junebug Buzzes in the Air

Tomasz Grzyb
-Hoffmann

A novel about a world where the falangist coup d'état in Silesia failed

1999 Slovak language edition of the famous Silesian alternate history thriller, The Junebug Buzzes in the Air.

Written in the mid 1960s by the Silesian writer Tomasz Grzyb-Hoffmann, the novel imagines a world where the Falangist Party of Free Silesia (FPFS) never took control of the Kingdom of Silesia in the 1930s. The basic POD and premise of the book is that a group of the kingdom's secret agents and police detectives uncover the FPFS's dastardly plot against the Silesian monarchy in time, thwart it and after a long struggle, hunt down and arrest all the FPFS conspirators. After the events, the Party is banned and the conspirators jailed for life or expelled permanently. While the novel ends on a high and optimistic note, the ending is a bit of a cliffhanger, with the author hinting that some of the Falangists might crave retribution or be up to no good in other parts of the world...

Besides the anti-FPFS alternate history plot, the novel also serves as a rebuttal and indictment of the ultranationalist ideology of the Silesian Falangists. Namely, it mocks the Party's many forgeries purported to be Silesian historical documents approving of their ideological course, as well as the Party's near-worship of the "Silic Chronicle", a forgery of a supposed early medieval chronicle proving Silesian autochtony and ethnic superiority (created in the late 19th century by fanatical Silesian patriot Heinrich Slawomir von Bielau).

P.S. The title kind of parodies the novel-within-a-novel The Grasshopper Lies Heavy from Philip K. Dick's The Man in the High Castle. ;)

:D :)

From Cape to Cairo or: How a French Emperor took British Africa - written by the Irish author James Kalin between 1908 and 1916, its release on the public set to coincide with the 15 anniversary of the end of the so-called "African Conflict". As one of the first books written about the war that wasn't a personal recollection, rather a historical documentation, it was the result of the author's compiling of information over an eight year period, and as such, required a number of revisions. This saw the book reach over six-hundred pages of documents and information on the war, and another one-hundred on the political aftermath in the British Isles. The book itself sold relatively well in Kalin's home country, however, many patriots and those involved in the war saw "From Cape to Cairo" as a critique of the British Military and government due to its original, perceived, anti-war preface.

from_cape.png

A school textbook from a post-communist Britain.​

rwOxi22.png

(I might even have a go at writing this textbook one day, activities and exam-style questions included! Haha :))​