Rise of the Generals - A Lord Protector Timeline

Rise of the Generals, a Lord Protector Timeline​

Flag_of_the_Commonwealth_1658-1660_zpsd165de96.jpg

Note from the Author:

Whilst I've been an avid reader on these forums for a long time, this is the first timeline I have written (so if you see any obvious errors please let me know so I can correct where appropriate). I have been inspired by all of the creative minds on this site, and without such great works drawing me back every lunch break at work I wouldn't have ever written this. So I consider this a tribute to those timelines I've read here and the ones I have yet to read.

I would recommend you don't read the attached notes until you have read the Prologue in its entirety first. The POD may not be what you think it is. I have picked on a period of time which could have drastically changed the formation of the modern world. In OTL the British Monarchy is a symbol of the nation, but if a few elements had changed there would be no such symbol. Perhaps the lack of a Monarchy itself would become a symbol of the nation.

Regardless, I submit to you my Humble Petitio- I mean humble offering. And I'm sorry, but Christmas has been Cancelled.

Coat_of_Arms_of_the_Protectorate_1653ndash1659_zps032b80a7.jpg

"Pax quæritur bello" (Latin)
"Peace is sought through war"

Prologue – A Body left Buried, (or Christmas is Cancelled)

Oliver Cromwell is name well recorded and recited by history. Both loved and hated, no one can deny his effect on the landscape of Britain, and by extension the world. A Britain without Cromwell would look very different indeed. His contributions to the Civil War undoubtedly aided Parliaments victory against King Charles I. His campaigns in Ireland forever changed the relationship between Ireland and England. His influence of the military and rule as Lord Protector would be long remembered after his death. On the world stage, the consequences for Britain and her colonies amongst the struggle of European nations grasping for dominance had repercussions that shaped the modern world. Without Cromwell things would have been very different indeed.

But we are getting ahead of ourselves…

Oliver_Cromwell_by_Samuel_Coopersmall_zpse319bb89.jpg

First Lord Protector, Oliver Cromwell

On November 8th, 1658, the Lord Protector Oliver Cromwell passed away in Whitehall from prolonged illness [1]. The most likely cause of Cromwell's death is believed to be septicaemia related to a kidney infection, and he was buried at Westminster Abbey with an elaborate funeral. Even to this day, thousands of tourists flock to visit the resting place of the First Lord Protector and pay their respects to a man that founded a nation [2]. He left a legacy of 3 Civil Wars, a ‘King’ in exile, a Commonwealth led by a Lord Protector, a parliament in disarray and an on-going war with Spain. All these would re-emerge to plague his successor and cause further strife for years to come.

Oliver_Cromwell_-_Statue_-_Palace_of_Westminster_-_London_-_smalljpg_zps4026183c.jpg

Statue of the First Lord Protector, outside Westminster

During his last days, Lord Protector Oliver Cromwell was frequently watched over by his son Richard. Richard Cromwell followed in his father’s political footsteps, having served in the Protectorate Parliaments as an MP. Many have speculated that conversations between Richard and his father would form the foundation for his son’s actions and his strong belief in parliamentary procedure. Some even suggest he left explicit instructions that ‘the name of Cromwell must never be King’, which is entirely possible given his frequent refusal of the crown and previous words spoken to that effect. Whether you believe it or not, it certainly gives Richard’s actions some perspective [3].

RichardCromwellsmall_zps9be46b6f.jpg

Richard Cromwell, son of the First Lord Protector

With the Lord Protector’s death came the matter of succession. Whilst there was much debate in some circles about Cromwell’s choice, few believe he would have chosen anyone other than his son [4]. Some would suggest that notable names such as Charles Fleetwood would have made a fine Lord Protector, but by choosing his own son the generally prevailing opinion is that Cromwell gave the Lord Protector some additional legitimacy to begin his reign with [5]. His son was well respected by the military and had served as an MP under his father’s rule as Lord Protector. This did not go down well with the Parliamentarians who weren’t happy with the title of Lord Protector to begin with, let alone it becoming a seemingly hereditary title. Perceived parallels between the powers of the Lord Protector and the exiled King would not end there. The Lord Protector’s ‘Other House’ was still very much in existence and the future Lord Protector enjoyed much support from his military allies both within the House of Commons and without.

Parliament was summoned on December 12th 1658 and on February 2nd 1659 the Third Protectorate Parliament assembled [6]. It’s very first duty was recognising the late Lord Protector’s eldest son as his successor as per his decree, and the vote passed by 189 to 164 [7]. Tensions over the new Lord Protector had started simmering even before Parliament assembled and this was reflected in the voting. The vote was far closer than expected and the general disapproval of the Lord Protector was reflected by the Parliamentarian or ‘Republican’ faction. The Lord Protector was far too close to the military, and many feared his rise would see even further power flowing into the hands of the Generals. Their fears would very soon manifest. None the less - sufficient apathy, approval of his father and outright support won the Lord Protector his title.

Standard_of_Oliver_Cromwells_zpsc3fa69a4.jpg

The Standard of the Lord Protector

In a ceremony much like his father’s, using the same symbols of office such as a purple ermine-lined robe, sword of justice and sceptre, His Highness Oliver Cromwell the Second, by the Grace of God and Republic was proclaimed Lord Protector of England, Scotland and Ireland. His reign would see years upheaval and war, reshaping England and Europe forever.

The reign of Lord Protector Oliver Cromwell II had begun [8].

[1] He died 3rd September in OTL. Due to butterflies he passes away a few months later in November (it is suggested the death of his favourite daughter in August causing depression hastened his decline, but in this some hope for the future of his Protectorate means he hangs on longer. The illness and suggestion personal physicians mis-treated his illness make his death unavoidable in TTL though).

[2] Hence the title ‘A body left Buried’. Don’t expect a Restoration any time soon. Plus he will look a lot less monstrous compared to his successor. Oh, and Christmas is cancelled, blame the Puritans.

[3] This is entirely conjecture on history’s part, though it is likely Richard was around during Cromwell’s death OTL too. What actions you ask? Wait and see...

[4] Again speculation on history’s part. In OTL many were surprised at Cromwell’s choice of his son as successor. But Richard was far less influential...

[5] Even more speculation, but entirely plausible. In OTL Fleetwood probably would have been a better choice, however in TTL Fleetwood is more obviously part of the support structure.

[6] Summoned 9th December 1658 OTL and Assembled 27 January 1659 OTL. Delayed due to butterflies in Cromwell’s death.

[7] In OTL Richard Cromwell was voted in 223 to 134, however in TTL the new Lord Protector is less popular and more offensive to certain groups.

[8] The POD. Oliver’s son Oliver Cromwell Junior does not die of Typhoid fever during the Civil War in 1644. He goes on to have a reasonable career and becomes Oliver’s successor. He has the advantage of being a Civil War veteran and enjoys strong support of the military unlike Richard in OTL. And why yes, that first paragraph WAS about Oliver Cromwell Junior...

Chapter 1 – The Lost Son Risen

So who is exactly was Oliver Cromwell Junior? What happened to him before his ascent to the heights of Lord Protector?

Oliver was believed to have been born around February 1623 (some sources give late 1622) to Oliver and Elizabeth Cromwell [1]. He was the 2nd son of 9 children the couple had, his older brother Robert dying of sickness during schooling in 1639. Some alternate history enthusiasts often consider what might have happened if Robert had lived and replaced Oliver as Cromwell’s chosen successor [2]. At the time Oliver could not have comprehended how much his inheritance would include as a result. There is also no evidence he had serious disagreements with his siblings during childhood, especially Richard [3]. Raised as Puritan and therefore following his father’s values, Oliver would forever be a stout believer in his father’s ideals and teachings, occasionally joining him in prayer and contemplation.

Upon the outbreak of the Civil War Oliver joined his father in the Ironsides, taking the rank of Captain and command of one of the regiments. Flying the flag for Parliament, he and his father’s forces aided key strategic victories, bringing the forces of the King to their knees [4]. He gained considerable skill and respect amongst the military during this time, and his military life would leave a strong impression on him for the rest of his life. Unlike his father, he was born to a life of military service and war rather than middle class gentry which be reflected in the style he ruled the Protectorate.

Battle_of_Marston_Moor_1644_zpsb05b0561.jpg

Battle of Marston Moor, 1644

In 1646 the First Civil War came to an end. Whilst he maintained strong ties with the military, Oliver looked at the possibility of settling down to a peaceful life free of the war. To that end, he married his wife Mary in April 1647 [5]. Unfortunately the peace was short lived, and in November King Charles escaped igniting the Second Civil War. Unsurprisingly, Oliver rejoined his father on the battlefield, gaining further acclaim as a commander in his own right. Once more father and son fought side by side against the resurgent Royalists. To the disappointment of Oliver, he missed the birth of his first son during the campaign, though the child would be named Robert after his departed brother he missed so dearly [6].

In December 1648, the King was once again captured and the Royalists suppressed. However, this time to ensure the end of the King’s Tyranny, Charles I was sentenced to death and executed much to the chagrin of the parliamentarian moderates. Oliver supported his father in this time, however he remained wary of Royalist threat. He found it difficult to settle into a normal life with Charles’ son still free to roam the Earth, even with his wife producing their second child, a daughter Anne [7]. His mood was calmed in August 1649 when his father was instructed by parliament to lead a campaign into Ireland to suppress the Irish Catholics. Once again he took up arms and joined his father in battle, this time against an ideological enemy. It was here his Puritan hatred of Catholics and the Irish was honed and refined [8]. It was also here he would meet one of his strongest allies and friends, Charles Fleetwood.

charles_execution_zpsedc90276.jpg

Contemporary image of the execution of King Charles

When the son of Charles I ‘Charles II’ arose in 1650, proclaimed King in Scotland, Oliver remained in Ireland supporting the campaign whilst his father departed to fight the House of Stuart once more. The Third Civil War was short however, and Oliver would never get a chance to face ‘Charles II’ on the field of battle. In 1652 when Charles Fleetwood married Oliver’s sister Bridget, he became very close to his new Brother in Law. He remained in Ireland for nearly 2 years more supporting Charles in his new role as Lord Deputy of Ireland and the Act of Settlement. There are rumours of further atrocities committed by Oliver against the native Irish Catholics, including claims of butchering entire villages, however it is not known if this is true or merely exaggeration [9].

After Pride’s Purge removed a lot of the more rebellious elements from the House of Commons, Oliver sat in the First Protectorate Parliament as an MP. Here he saw exactly how useless Parliament was at governing. Despite being free of the King, the various factions refused to cooperate and nothing was achieved. When Cromwell Senior dissolved Parliament in exasperation and established the rule of the Major-Generals Oliver gladly took his place as a Deputy-Major General under the command of Charles Fleetwood once more [10]. He found control and administration far more effective under these circumstances and some believe this would be his blueprint for future rule. Afterall, control by good, Puritan soldiers was far more effective than the squabbling he had observed in Parliament. Parliament was absolute it was true, that was the Good Old Cause for which he had fought [11], but what good was it if it could not rule effectively?

charlesfleetwood_zps89087036.jpg

Charles Fleetwood, son-in-law of Oliver Cromwell Sr, brother-in-law to Oliver Cromwell Jr

He also sat in the Second Protectorate Parliament and continued to support the military faction. When Cromwell Senior was offered the crown, Oliver was pleased when he refused, but did not openly threaten mutiny like others such as John Lambert. Ironically, the subsequent Army purge by Cromwell Senior of those he considered to be disloyal would give Oliver a far more powerful base in the military following his ascension [12]. The bulk of English soldiers would be at his disposal upon becoming Lord Protector, something his enemies would not fail to notice. He also saw another son born, Thomas.

Saddened at his sister’s death in August, Oliver found the following death of his father very difficult. However, he and the military faction ensured the funeral took place with all the appropriate respect his father deserved [13]. Given his father’s final will that Oliver should inherit the position of Lord Protector, most expected an overwhelming flood of support. When the Parliamentary vote was discovered to be so close, within spitting distance of refusal, the Militarist faction’s resolve hardened considerably. Oliver himself was not pleased at all. However, the birth of his third son, named Oliver in his father’s honour saw a resolve to lead the Protectorate into a Grand Future, upholding what he perceived to be his father’s legacy.

[1] This is as OTL.

[2] This is Meta.

[3] Foreshadowing.

[4] Again, the POD, he lives out the Civil War without dying to the Typhoid.

[5] Mary is a wildcard. I tried to research a suitable wife but I didn’t want to break up any existing marriages (too many butterflies if the Lord Protector still exists) and other information is rather thin on the ground. Therefore Mary is either a) an unwed woman in OTL or b) a second POD where she like Oliver does not die of a plague or similar (whereas she did not survive OTL). Mary is quite a common name for the time, and she plays no significant role in history other than being married to Oliver. Please forgive me for this one.

[6] A reasonable name choice. Many births from this point are generated by random, both the birth and the child’s gender (I use dice and an equation). Therefore this is entirely at the whim of fate (though variables such as plagues, wars etc will have an effect). Whenever possible I will try to randomise life and death to reflect reality (and entertainment).

[7] This is entirely historical speculation on the part of society. Few records remain to show what he did post-war.

[8] This is setting the tone for his reign. Every experience shapes his personality. Not all of them will be good.

[9] Much like Cromwell OTL, Oliver might well have conducted a form of genocide, but it is impossible to be sure. The fact he later becomes Lord Protector makes his actions more scrutinised than the other commanders in Ireland.

[10] Very likely he would have been an MP and served during the Major-General’s rule giving his background (given what others did at the time). His friendship with Charles even more so. I have an idea of who he replaces in OTL but since there are a number of positions he could have filled I’m deliberately leaving it vague.

[11] As in OTL, the Good Old Cause refers to the reasons the New Model army fought for Parliament. Oliver still believes in it in principle, however like with Fleetwood and Lambert in OTL military precision and power is proving its advantages.

[12] Happened in OTL. Richard couldn’t capitalise on this due to his lack of development in both the military and parliament. Oliver however is a Civil War Veteran with a loyal army and numerous military supporters. Short of declaring himself King he is going to hold a lot of power with the people who matter in TTL, the Generals.

[13] In OTL fighting broke out at Cromwell’s funeral and it was delayed by several hours. It was a general shambles. In TTL Oliver sees to it that nothing interferes with a respectful burial.

Chapter 2 – Bloody Augustus

Many will consider Lord Protector Oliver II to be somewhat of a Tyrant in his own right. The title of ‘Bloody King Cromwell’ would be uttered by Republicans and Royalists long after his death. It is undeniable that his actions caused much strife and hardship to many and reduced the power of Parliament. However, what many forget is the circumstance under which Oliver came to power. Many factors stood against him and a lesser man would have shattered under the pressure [1]. However, using a Roman parallel, if Cromwell Senior was Julius Caesar, then Oliver II was most definitely the Protectorate’s Augustus.

Upon the assembly of the Third Protectorate Parliament, Lord Protector Oliver II was immediately met with strong resistance. Despite his close approval by the House of Commons, the House itself was stacked full of Republicans and Royalists who either through ideology or just pure stubbornness refused cooperate with him [2]. This was all thanks to the Humble Petition and Advice presented to Cromwell Senior during the Second Protectorate Parliament. It altered the boundaries to those of Pre-Protectorate resulting in a lot more Royalists taking seats. Whilst his Militarist faction always voted true, they lacked numbers to overwhelm both the Republican and Royalist votes. Fortunately (or unfortunately) for Oliver, there was a lack of unity amongst the opposing factions except over 1 issue. Anything that empowered the military or Oliver met with strong resistance.

montclair_west_zps0d1ea285.jpg

Artistic Rendering of the Third Protectorate Parliament

Thanks to years of war both internally and abroad the national debt had been steadily growing [3]. It was a major issue within the House, but much like previous attempts by his father Oliver found little ground for a resolution. In March 1659, a proposed bill called for a small tax increase to deal with the issue but this was rejected by the House. Both in the protection of their own wealth and refusal to fund Oliver’s military allies the Republican and Royalists were united (along with many of the neutral elements). However when the House attempted to cut the spending and size of the Army, this was immediately shot down by the Lord Protector and his Other House. Despite a desire to resolve the debt issue Oliver knew he could not anger his military allies by reducing their power. Equally the on-going war meant he couldn’t realistically reduce the size Army and hope to continue to fighting it [4].

Several days after blocking the downsizing of the Army, Oliver attempted to make an impassioned speech to the House to change hearts and minds. Oliver attempted to persuade the House that the Stuarts were still very much a threat, and a resurgent Monarchy backed by a foreign power could threaten the independence of the people of Britain. He asked the House to approve the continuation of the war against Spain until such time as the Spanish handed over the son of Charles I into Protectorate custody to face trial for inciting rebellion in Scotland. This angered the Royalists. To this end he asked for additional funding to increase the effective power of the Army. This disturbed the Republicans. It is unknown whether Oliver was a strong speaker, however the content was more than enough to receive abuse from the majority of the House [5].

Despite this, Oliver’s Militarist faction once more in May brought forward a tax along the lines of the decimation tax proposed during his father’s reign. This would target exclusively Royalists who had fought for Charles I. Oliver hoped to win over a few more the Republicans to his cause by effectively making the Royalists pay for the hunt for Charles’ son. However he underestimated the fear and distrust of his Militarist tendencies [6]. The Republicans once again voted down the Lord Protector’s ambition. In a fit of rage Oliver is reported to have drafted the dissolution of Parliament, however if this is the case the action was never carried forward. The lack of this dissolution is what gave rise to the suspicion of the Lord Protector over the following Militarist action.

It is unknown who gave the order for the Purge of 1659 [7]. At the time all those excluded believed this to be the direct actions of the Lord Protector, using his military might to grab even more power, however there is no evidence that Oliver was aware of the Purge before its action. It is likely that several well respect Militarists in Parliament, possibly including Charles Fleetwood, were responsible for the orders. What can be assumed though is that John Thurloe, the Spymaster of the Lord Protector, was involved at some level. Thurloe was a strong supporter of Cromwell Senior, being one of the few who suggested Cromwell should take a royal title [8]. The lack of a paper trail, combined with the coordinated effort required suggests that at the very least Thurloe was aware of the plot, if not complicit in its execution.

John_Thurloe_zpse949d329.jpg

John Thurloe, Spymaster to the Lord Protector

On the morning of the 26th of May, 1659, the ‘Black May Purge’ as it would later be known took place. Orders were distributed to Oliver’s supporters to prevent MPs taking their seats for a very controversial vote. Those who could be bribed were bought to stay away, though few remembered anything about the individuals who gave them their ‘donation’. Others who refused or considered ‘high risk’ were forcefully detailed by soldiers on any charge the commanding officer could come up with [9]. In some areas violent protests broke out between Republican supporters and the Army.

However, the vote itself successfully past due to a low turnout, resulting in the War Chest Act [10]. The Lord Protector was voted the power, during a time of war, to set taxes at his discretion to pay for the upkeep of the Army and to combat any national debt. It also allowed the Lord Protector to increase military spending for the purposes of defending the Protectorate and its interests. Since the Protectorate was still officially at war with Spain, these powers came into effect immediately.
Even though it is unknown how aware the Lord Protector was of the Purge, it is very likely that he approved of it. Certainly his anger at the political game play in Parliament was well recorded, and he did nothing to prevent the Act from passing. Ironically, many of the Militarists had willing voted the Lord Protector Powers similar to those that Charles I had tried to use prior to the start of the Civil War. However, minor differences gave a level of legitimacy that the Militarists used to promote their cause. Firstly, the Lord Protector had been voted into power by Parliament’s approval, not born by divine right (even though Cromwell Senior had chosen his son as his successor). Secondly, Parliament (all be it a restricted Parliament) had voted the Lord Protector these powers. The Militarists did their utmost to cast those opposed to the vote as trouble makers, trying to have their own way despite failing to turn up to a vote that ultimately went against them. This, along with the promise of even more power and status, was enough to keep several Generals and key military figures within the Protectorate camp [11].

Regardless, this legislation was obviously designed to be inflammatory, and upon hearing of the vote Republicans were taking up arms. Whoever concocted the Purge most certainly succeeded in their aims. Once again the nation was plunged into a Civil War, recorded by history as the Fourth English Civil War. On one side, the Republicans up and down the country began declaring for the Commonwealth that had existed before the Protectorate, decrying Oliver as ‘Bloody King Cromwell’ and taking up arms against former comrades. On the other side, the Militarists and supporters of the Lord Protector, proclaiming the Republicans as Traitors and likening them to the Irish outlaws or ‘Tories’ [12]. Even a few Royalists emerged declaring for Charles II, hoping to take advantage of the situation to bring about a Restoration, however their influence on the Civil War is debatable.

The Forth Civil War, also known as ‘Richard’s Rebellion’ would see a significant shift of power into the hands of military and forever change the political landscape of the Protectorate.

[1] Reference to Richard OTL.

[2] The butterflies don’t stop the Third Protectorate Parliament being stacked against whoever becomes Lord Protector.

[3] The nation was spiralling into debt, before the new Lord Protector took office so whoever succeeds Cromwell will have this problem.

[4] Fairly reasonable to assuming there would be a strong back and forth in the House. Richard didn’t have the military support and so he collapsed. With a Pro-Military Lord Protector the House becomes an ideological battleground for whoever can get their will across.

[5] I can’t write Old English so I won’t try. I leave it up to the reader to decide whether they think Oliver was a persuasive talker or not. Regardless it doesn’t change the outcome.

[6] I assume Oliver would try to win over the Republicans based on the idea of the ‘Good Old Cause’, but obviously the Republicans now fear the Lord Protector as much as the King. It makes it clear to Oliver that the Republicans are not going to come round to his point of view.

[7] I’m basing this off the Wallingford House party and the expulsion of Parliament. With the House divided it’s inevitable that a conflict will arise somewhere. The Militarists aren’t just going to do nothing with the nation’s Army at their command. I leave the mastermind vague, but as stated in [8] I have a few ideas who might do something like this.

[8] Thurloe is a very interesting person. Wanted Cromwell as King, head of the English ‘secret service’ in effect. Apparently the English Spymaster had agents all across the UK and Europe (even in the Netherlands). Doubtless with a stronger Lord Protector he will provide whatever assistance Oliver (or his supporters) require.

[9] Probably not all the Army’s commanders would have gone along with such a plot. However if enough are persuaded, they don’t need to commit murder, only delay MPs to get the required effect. The likelihood of many MPs taking bribes isn’t exactly new even at this time. Some simply won’t accept money and have strong political ideals, so they will have to be stopped by any means necessary.

[10] If anyone can give this a better name please tell me. Took a long time to come up with something inflammatory enough for the desired effect yet wasn’t completely giving the Lord Protector absolute power or isolating his followers.

[11] It’s a careful balance of increasing the Lord Protector’s power whilst not driving away the ‘fence’ military Generals. Oliver will need as many Veterans as possible in the coming Civil War.

[12] I was interested in the name ‘Tory’ and its origins, and it will be a political shorthand in TTL. However, Tories will be related to those Pro-Democracy, Anti-Military, Anti-Monarchy and possibly more liberal than OTL. We’ll have to wait and see.

As far as possible. The next 2 chapters cover the Forth Civil War, then after that it's a case of seeing how a Protectorate England (+ the Union) fit into the landscape of 1660s Europe. The war with Spain is likely to be ongoing, another Anglo-Dutch conflict is unavoidable, especially with the Act of Sucession not repealled following a Restoration. The Orangists will need to find some way to deal with the Protectorate - either become an ally and get Oliver to repeal the Act, or ignore it and try to get William as a Stadtholder anyway.

Plenty of options and material for the future. I just need a few weeks to get some more research done. The next 2 chapters are close to complete anyway, just need a bit of extra polish.

Chapter 3 – The Fourth Civil War​

With the passing of the War Chest Act, a wedge had been driven between the Republicans and the supporters of the Lord Protector. The Republicans sought to bring down the would-be King Cromwell and curb the growing power of the military in political life. On the other side, the Lord Protector and his Generals took up arms to put down the rebellious MPs that had choked the life out of the House of Commons for the past few months.

London quickly found itself under martial law. Units of soldiers patrolled the streets, arresting and questioning anyone found to be acting suspiciously. A few unlucky Republicans found themselves imprisoned, whilst the rest fled to raise armies and recruit followers to the cause.

During the previous 3 Civil Wars, Parliament had enjoyed the advantages of a far superior fighting force. The New Model Army was a revolution in military tactics. Rather than merely summoning men of fighting age whenever a war required them, the New Model Army used a Standing Army. This meant soldiering was an occupation, and soldiers would fight their entire lives rather than returning to their main profession afterwards (be it farming or such). However, this war would prove to be quite different. When the Parliamentarians raised their forces, they found many veterans remained under Protectorate service. This meant that both the Republicans and the Militarists would be fielding armies and fighting battles based on the New Model Doctrine. This would be the first time the New Model would be tested against its own kind in the field, and would also test the skills of the Republican and Militarist commanders. This is not to say that conscription did not occur, but the basics of the military strategy would find neither side had the outright advantages seen against the Royalists in the previous Civil Wars [1].

Whilst many Generals found themselves asking difficult questions of their loyalty, several key figures would make decisions that would shape the war. The first of these was General Monck. General Monck had been a devote Royalist, but his friendship with Cromwell Senior had seen him support the rising Commonwealth and Protectorate. Despite many attempts to convert him to the Royalist cause, Monck had remained true to his friendship with Cromwell Senior, even purging his own ranks to ensure obedience and loyalty at the First Lord Protector’s command. His forces were currently stationed in Scotland, ensuring that a further attempt to recognise ‘Charles II’ by the Scottish was met by swift action. Upon hearing of the uprising by Parliament, Monck carefully considered his options before finally declaring for the Lord Protector. The son of Cromwell was respected in Monck’s eyes, especially being a military man with military backing [2]. With a portion of the army already behind Oliver, Monck’s support would convince many of those commanders ‘on the fence’ to side with the Lord Protector [3]. Despite this, Monck would not see much action during the Forth Civil War. Upon the instruction of the Lord Protector Monck maintained his strong military presence in Scotland, supressing local Pro-Republican and Pro-Royalist elements to prevent either side from retreating North.

George_Monck_small_zps8393ae93.jpg

General Monck, former Royalist and friend to Oliver Cromwell Senior

Another figure that would play a crucial role would be Samuel Morland, an assistant in John Thurloe’s spy ring [4]. Samuel had become disillusioned with the Lord Protector, believing the rightful return of a True King would be better than a military Proxy-Dictator. Working within Thurloe’s organisation on behalf of the Royalists, Samuel Morland became aware of the Black Purge shortly before its action. Unable to prevent it, he sent warning to those Royalists he could, instructing them to flee the capital, therefore escaping the following martial law. Along with several other key Royalists Morland plotted the return of the King, letting the Republicans and Militarists of the Protectorate run themselves into the ground. The general idea was to take and hold as many fortified positions as they could, avoiding open battle wherever possible. Expecting a prolonged war between the Republicans and the Militarists, the Royalists hoped to capitalise on the weakening of both sides to bring about a restored Monarchy. The Royalists even tried to court General Monck once more, but Monck was full aware that the Royalists were still very much in the weaker faction, and despite his past continued to support the son of Cromwell.

Despite his brother’s position and ideology, Richard Cromwell would find himself mixed up in the political manoeuvrings of the Republicans. During the initial seatings of the Third Protectorate Parliament Richard Cromwell had been a vague supporter of his brother, however the persuasion of many senior Republicans swayed him to the belief that Oliver was going against their father’s teachings. When the Black May Purge occurred, Richard saw this as an attack on the democratic values that Cromwell Senior had fought for. He departed with many of the other Republicans from London, being somewhat of a figure head used to rally further support for the Republican cause. Some contemporary writings suggest he was even offered the title of Lord Protector in exchange for his support, however these are very likely to be biased [5]. Given the Republican cause it is unlikely Richard would have been offered the very title they were fighting against. Despite the connection to the Lord Protector, Richard had little in the way of his own status which was very apparent. He hadn’t fought in the Civil Wars to any notable degree, and in Parliament had made little in the way of impact. None the less, Richard’s betrayal sent shockwaves through the Lord Protector’s ranks. Because of his actions, the Forth Civil War would often be referred to at the time as ‘Richard’s Rebellion’ [6].

The most influential figure at the head of the Republican forces would be John Lambert. John Lambert was one of the most respected Civil War Generals and had notably stood against the suggestion that Cromwell Senior be made King. Despite being good friends with Cromwell Senior previously, this division had seen him removed from military life with a suitable pension. With Cromwell’s son seemingly attempting to gain more and more power, Lambert was persuaded to support the Republican effort [7]. Respect for him brought far more support to the Republican cause than there would have been otherwise, many veterans remembering serving with him and the ‘Good Old Cause’. Whilst Lambert was equally frustrated with the political tricks of Parliament he was prepared to fight to ensure free votes could be cast regarding the nation’s law.

JohnLambertsmall_zps0bd67d9e.jpg

John Lambert, Parliamentarian and respected military commander

Henry Cromwell would also prove to be a key figure in the coming Civil War, if only by his refusal to choose a side. After fleeing London with the other Republican Leaders Richard Cromwell wrote to his brother Henry, at the time the Lord-Deputy of Ireland, asking for the support of the forces stationed under his command. In what would be known to history as the infamous ‘Henry’s Letter’, Henry Cromwell promised to ‘Uphold the true Parliament of England’. A copy of this letter was also sent to the Lord Protector in London. The Lord Protector wrote back, thanking Henry for his continued support and instructing him to maintain order in Ireland. Richard read the letter as a sign of military support from Ireland, and this belief governed a lot of the Republican planning [8]. Whether Henry truly intended to support either side is unknown, however no orders were ever issued regarding the mobilisation of soldiers in Ireland.

Henry_Cromwellsmall_zpsd6c808e3.jpg

Henry Cromwell, brother to Richard and Oliver, Lord Deputy of Ireland

The belief of support, however, would prove to be the undoing of the Republicans [9].

[1] Seems to be the logical conclusion. Both sides having fought against the Royalists understand the advantages of the New Model, and both sides will have veterans in their ranks. It is therefore likely that both use a variant of the New Model.

[2] True as OTL. Monck was a Royalist but yet a good friend of Oliver Cromwell. Monck held back from choosing side under Richard Cromwell, but when Richard was deposed and Fleetwood/Lambert tried to take over the government by force Monck helped restore the King (following his Monarchist tendencies). With a stronger Lord Protector who is the son of, and served under, Cromwell Senior Monck will likely have respect and support for him.

[3] Considering how Fleetwood/Lambert’s support melted away when Monck moved against them OTL, I can see Monck support in TTL will see more support drawn to the Lord Protector.

[4] Moorland is a bit of an unknown. I’m not sure how strong his Royalist tendencies were, but I’m working on the principle there was enough that a move like this would affect him. In OTL Moorland betrayed Thurloe, claiming he and Richard Cromwell had been plotting to assassinate Charles II. I realise with less chance of restoration he may remain ‘loyal’, but I think equally if he becomes aware of a plot he will try to help the Royalists in defeating it.

[5] Richard Cromwell was very naive OTL. In a world where he is not Lord Protector he may well be courted by the Republicans as he makes a good symbol for rallying the Republican cause. Unfortunately once again, ‘Tumble Down Dick’ as he was known in OTL is heading for another fall.

[6] Richard’s Rebellion didn’t actually involve Richard much. As stated before, he was just a figurehead, therefore it wasn’t actually his rebellion. At the time he was blamed for it though.

[7] Tricky one this, Lambert probably could have gone either way. Pro Military, closed down Parliament OTL but also very anti-Lord Protector. I’m hazarding support for Parliament here though, he favours the military but when it appears the military is just doing the Lord Protector’s bidding he naturally moves against it.

[8] In OTL Henry Cromwell was very smart. Upon the Restoration he returned from Ireland without fuss and even became a close personal friend of the King over time. He was clever and knew when not to cause trouble. In TTL I see him doing something like this, he has the cunning to avoid being drawn into the fight by not actively promising anything to either of his brothers. He can let it play out and if needed claim to have supported the 'winner' from the start. Richard Cromwell’s naivety makes him an easy target for this, and it actually plays into Oliver’s favour for Henry not to get involved. Also a rather entertaining notion I had.

[9] Because if Richard manages to convince the other Republican’s that help is coming from Ireland...

Can't wait to see the Civil War and how it turns out; it's likely to be bloody.

Given how Henry was, I can see him doing this. I kinda feel sorry for Richard.

Good update, DevonPasty.

Chapter 4 – The Battle of Oakley

With the Civil War raging all across England, banners were being raised and forces clashed over the rightful place of Parliament in government. On one side stood Richard Cromwell and John Lambert at the head of Republican forces. On the other side stood Lord Protector Oliver Cromwell II and the forces of the Protectorate. Whilst skirmishes and conflicts occurred across the entire country, it would be at Oakley that the future of the Protectorate would be decided [1].

From the very start, the Republicans attempted to form a large united force to take key strategic cities and undermine the Protectorate. London was seen to be a strong moral victory in this regard. This was hampered however by Richard Cromwell and Henry’s Letter. The Republicans had been persuaded by Richard that Henry would bring forces from Ireland to bolster their numbers, and as a result the Republicans put far more effort on holding positions to the west than they should have. Expecting more soldiers across the Irish Sea, the Republicans concentrated their hold on areas near the coast, awaiting the sails bringing them fresh troops. To this end they failed to reinforce areas to the east being besieged by the Protectorate. Sending a weaker divided force across the country would be in the Protectorate's favour, especially if Henry's forces were cut off shortly after landing. The bulk of Republic forces remained encamped whilst the Militarist soldiers moved from county to county suppressing any resistance they found [2].

Despite Richards repeated attempts to get a message to Henry, the troops never materialised and by the time the Republican decided to move without them they had already lost far more than they could have hoped to gain. This delay in a major Republican offensive for several months would prove to be vital in deciding the outcome of the war.

With Henry’s forces nowhere to be seen and every delay handing more victories to Militarists, finally in late September the Republicans began their march towards London. The capital was a key to legitimacy that the Republican’s couldn’t afford to ignore [3]. Upon hearing of the forces marching towards London, Oliver took the decision to meet them in the field. The Lord Protector and his soldiers met the Republican forces head on near Oakley, having pulled as many units as possible together for what was believed by each side to be a decisive battle. A large enough victory by either side could see London change hands or even end the war completely. It was a battle neither could afford to lose.

On 9th October 1659, the Battle of Oakley took place. Both sides attempted to make decisive strike at the enemy’s formation, but with both using New Model techniques neither side saw a shattering effect they had seen against the Royalists [4]. With tactics and training fairly equal, the battle would ultimately come down to experience. Unfortunately for the Republicans, this lay in the hands of the Militarists. A larger chunk of the experienced commanders had finally favoured the Lord Protector. Whilst the majority of Republican soldiers used New Model techniques effectively, they were comparatively green against the battle hardened Veterans in some of the Militarists more elite units [5].

After the death of thousands of soldiers and hours of fighting, the Republican forces finally broke. Most of the Republican leaders were either killed or captured. Amongst those taken alive was Richard Cromwell. He would be sentenced to life imprisonment, only being spared the death penalty by the will of the Lord Protector. He would be found dead in his cell some months later. Whilst official sources list the cause of death as suicide by hanging, modern forensic examination suggests a violent altercation shortly before death. It is possible that he was murdered, though by who or way is a question that will probably never be answered. Following his death Oliver instructed a quiet funeral for his brother, with Richard’s wife later being buried alongside her husband [6].

Following the Battle of Oakley, the Lord Protector instructed the complete suppression of rebellious elements, both Republican and Royalist. The Republicans were grieving the loss of many of their finest on the field, including John Lambert [7]. Expecting little mercy from the Lord Protector and his men, many of the Republicans elected to depart England’s shores. Most decided to head for the colonies, hoping to bring them the light of democracy and possibly gather support to retake England in the future. Others fled to English friendly nations and other Protestant nations, mainly to the United Provinces of the Netherlands. Despite the previous Anglo-Dutch war and simmering tensions between them, some Republicans found a new home amongst the people of the Netherlands taking advantage of the free trade law to increase their wealth [8]. The Royalists found themselves in an equally difficult position. With the Republicans being mopped up and the majority of the Army under Oliver’s control, the Royalist found themselves being heavily squeezed. The hope that the Republicans and Militarists would wear each other out turned out to be false. Those that fought either died or were executed for treason. Many elected to pledge allegiance to their new ‘King’ in a desperate act of self-preservation. This occurred more and more frequently as the Militarist forces started taking a ‘Rebellion Tax’ on behalf of the Lord Protector [9]. This included lands, property, and even titles which the Lord Protector would later hand out to the more powerful and influence Generals.

With the Republicans defeated and the Royalists in tatters, few could question the authority of the Lord Protector. However, it was a Faustian pact. Oliver could only rule with the approval of his Generals. He would be forever be required to appease them and ensure sufficient rewards for their loyalty. They would be the true power behind the throne, shaping the policies of the Protectorate to their designs. The Age of the Generals had begun [10].

Author note, no images for this one, couldn't find any appropriate that weren't already used or out of place.

[1] I’m skipping the full details of the war. I can’t even get much in the way of troop numbers in OTL Civil Wars, let alone a hypothetical one. The haze of battle and all that, plus records being lost. Considering the conflict is nationwide and Scotland/Ireland are accounted for, I’m going to assuming other than the Battle of Oakley the Civil War averages itself out. Few victories here for the Republicans, few victories there for the Militarists. The exact numbers don’t matter, Oakley is one of the key recorded deciding factors. Oakley isn’t the end I might add, fighting carries on but it is the tipping point from ‘War’ to ‘Clean Up’.

[2] The Republicans had several good strategists among them. Problem is, Henry’s letter is that unknown factor that costs them the war. At first they expect the Irish Troops immediately, so they move West to join up with them when they arrive (seeing as they will be fresh and ready for battle). But as the days go by and more battles are lost the inevitable “Well we can’t leave now, if we do we’ve lost so much and gained nothing” mindset sets in, which ultimately costs them the war. Knowing when to abandon a lost cause is a hard thing for anyone. Yes, this is all Richard’s fault, he will have been insisting his brother will help and despite their normally better judgement the Republicans believe him.

[3] With Scotland in the Lord Protector’s grasp, and so many troops wasted awaiting Irish reinforcements the Republicans need something to rally around. London would give a key victory to help bolster the failing morale.

[4] Again, the New Model being used by both sides makes for a protracted drawn out battle with neither side giving ground easily.

[5] The Civil War eventually comes down to ‘who has the most War Veterans’. The answer is the Lord Protector. The Republicans had many too, but a large chunk of the foot soldiers simply follow their commanding officer, and most of these were doing quite well out of the Lord Protector. Numbers are important, but numbers of QUALITY mean the most.

[6] Richard probably wasn’t a great fighter. Surrender and capture is definitely following his personality. As for his death – seems like something plausible for the time. I’m leaving it open to who killed him. Oliver does seem to show some mercy in the imprisonment/funeral. The Lord Protector does care for his brother after all. Betrayal stings, but blood is blood. He might even know that Richard is just a pawn.

[7] Lambert is dead along with many others, this breaks the back of the Republican spirit. Many keep fighting for many months after, but this is the point from when they become seriously in the minority. They can no longer realistically win.

[8] More Pro-Republic but Anti-Head of State Englishmen arriving in Holland is going to have some interesting knock on effects later.

[9] The tax is more of an afterthought. A certain degree of looting is impossible to avoid. The Lord Protector merely makes it legal and uses it as leverage to reward the more loyal Generals. After all, with Militarist victory he does have the power to dish out taxes as he sees fit. No one can deny his legal powers anymore.

[10] So now the Protectorate becomes more of a glorified Military Junta with the trappings of democracy. It might not be popular, but with a powerful, bloodied standing army the Lord Protector’s rule is safe, for a time… Now we move on to the view of the Protectorate in the wider world, and its effect now the War with Spain is on-going.

Interlude I - Diary of Samuel Pepys, First Entry, January 1660

Blessed be God, at the end of the last year I was in very good health, without any sense of my old pain, but upon taking of cold.

I lived in Axe Yard, having my wife, and servant Jane, and no more in family than us three. My wife, after the absence of her terms for seven weeks, gave me hopes of her being with child, but on the last day of the year she hath them again.

The condition of the State was thus; viz. Parliament, after being disturbed by that most tragic of conflicts, was lately returned to sit again. The officers of the Commonwealthsmen all forced to yield. His Highness Lord Protector Oliver II remains upon the throne, the Army in ascendance. Fears of taxation plague many, though he hath promised no further. My own private condition very handsome, and esteemed rich, but indeed very poor; besides my goods of my house, and my office, which at present is somewhat uncertain. Mr. Downing master of my office.

This is based of the real Diary of Samuel Pepys as per OTL. Important dates may be included as future interludes.

Beyond the main points of Cromwell's era, I'm not too familiar with it, but it's a good read so far. Seems like despite eliminating their political rivals, that England is still going to be politically unstable for the foreseeable future. Curious how the Republican exodus will effect the Netherlands and the colonies.

Chapter 5 - The Anglo-Spanish War

With the defeat of the majority of the Republicans and Royalist rebellion mostly insignificant the Fourth Protectorate Parliament was once more summoned, and assembled in January 1660. However, even from its outset the militarist faction took rather severe measures to maintain their power. Those few active opponents to the regime were persecuted and disrupted, whilst those that fell into the grey area were offered a chance to join the ‘Lord Protector’s Men’ or suffer similar treatment.

The Lord Protector’s Men could be viewed as a Proto form of Parliamentary Party [1]. The effective leader of the group was Charles Fleetwood, though with considerable assistance from Oliver’s other hard core supporters. The Lord Protector’s Men was effectively the new political wing of the Army. Whilst starting as a loose collaboration of pro-Military politicians it evolved for the Forth Protectorate Parliament into something greater. A greater level of organisation was introduced, and many non-affiliated individuals were ‘invited’ to join.

During key votes, the Lord Protector’s Men were expected to wear a red band on their clothing [2]. Doing so allowed them access to their seats, whereas those without would be withheld if their number was greater than those wearing bands. This was rarely used, however the principle of the matter saw more outspoken opponents of the regime starting to wear white bands in parliament in protest. This was further emulated by regime critics in Scotland, who took to wearing dark blue bands and demanding greater representation [3].

The question of Scotland was one that made Oliver’s life very difficult. For now, General Monck and his forces were maintaining order, but this couldn't be done indefinitely. If a major crisis arose and General Monck’s forces were needed, it would only be a matter of time before the Scottish rose up in rebellion again. ‘King Charles II’ had already been crowned in Scotland and many still recognised him as the true ruler. A more permanent solution was required to maintain the peace in Scotland [4].

During these early votes, Parliament made the rule of the Major-Generals legal, and established it as an arm of Parliament to ensure tax collection amongst other duties. This followed the rule of the Major-Generals as seen during the rule of Oliver Cromwell Senior. The country was divided up into regions, with a single Major-General allocated to each region. They had effectively free reign to enforce the law as they saw fit within their region, though legally they were still obliged to enforce the law as written by Parliament. As with any such concentration of power, however, some Generals did use their influence to persecute or target individuals or minorities they personally held a grudge against. To this, the Lord Protector and parliament turned a blind eye as long as peace was maintained, order enforced and taxation collected.

With a large amount of property seized from former Republicans following the Fourth Civil War, the Protectorate’s debt was significantly reduced. It was reduced enough that approval was given to enlarge the size of the Fleet. The Fleet was already one of the largest in the world, however with expected conflicts in the future it was deemed vital for the Protectorate’s interests to reinforce the Fleet with an aim to achieve complete sea superiority. Some of the more ambitious suggested developing a navy capable of overwhelming Spanish, Dutch and French navies simultaneously, but most considered this absurd.

The other issue facing Oliver was how to continue pressing the war with Spain. Occasional raids by English ships on Spanish shipping was on going but lacked the killer punch required to force Spain to the negotiating table. This had been made even more difficult by the Lord Protector’s demands of ‘King Charles II’ to be returned to stand trial for inciting rebellion [5]. It was obvious Spain was not going to surrender Charles any time soon, it was agreed amongst the Lord Protector’s Men that a greater display of force was required against Spain, and to flex the muscles of the New Model Army. This was despite several calls by the Generals to end the war with Spain to pave the way for a Anglo-Spanish alliance.

The official policy of the Protectorate was to establish an alliance to balance out the growing strength of France on the continent, and to this end many wanted an alliance with both the United Provinces of the Netherlands and Spain [6]. However, it was concluded that the outstanding issue of Charles needed to be dealt with, if only to remove the threat of a future Civil War.

At this time, Portugal was also embroiled in a protracted war against Spain. Spain and Portugal had been united by a union of Royal Houses, but an attempt to reduce Portugal to a region within Spain had brought about revolution. The Portuguese nobles had tolerated much, but an attempt to side-line them and replace them with Spanish nobles proved too much [7].

The regent Luisa de Guzmán, ruling on behalf of her under aged son Afonso VI, was faced with a problem. A year earlier Spain and France had concluded the Treaty of the Pyrenees. This brought to an end the current Franco-Spanish war, and also an end to French support of Portuguese Independence. This meant that once again Portugal was alone in its fight to regain its sovereignty from Spain. It also meant that the thousands of Spanish troops formerly fighting in the Netherlands against France would eventually find their way South to the Portuguese-Spanish border.

Portugal and England, despite one being a Catholic Monarchist nation and the other a Republican Protestant nation had always had strong ties. Despite relations being strained by Portugal taking in English nobles and Royalists the former King João IV had signed a treaty agreeing to prevent the interference of English traders in Portugal, and even a right to free religion and Protestant burial on Catholic soil. Because of this, English and Portuguese diplomats had spent the last year trying to hammer out a formal treaty. With the victory of the Lord Protector over his enemies this became even more pressing [8].

The sticking point had always been of attack or defence. The Protectorate wanted to use Portugal as a staging ground for a joint strike into Spain to force a surrender. Portugal on the other hand was wary about striking too far into Spanish soil and inviting reprisals. Their aim was recognition, not conquest. Portugal continued to refuse the idea of striking Spain directly, and finally the English diplomats grudging accepted the following conditions:

1. The Protectorate will provide 6,000 soldiers for the defence of Portuguese sovereignty, (with an increase if mutually agreed by Portugal and the Protectorate). These soldiers are not to set foot on Spanish soil without Portuguese approval.
  2. Portugal will provide its Naval Bases for the use of the English Fleet whilst it conducts raids on Spanish shipping, with an option to blockade Spanish ports.
  3. The Protectorate agrees not to settle for a separate peace with Spain, and to ensure Spanish recognition of Portuguese independence.
The Treaty of Lisbon was signed on 16th June 1660, with the Protectorate dispatching the English Fleet and 6,000 soldiers within the following weeks. [9]

These news of the Treaty of Lisbon came to much to the chagrin of Philip IV. The Treaty of the Pyrenees had been very costly, very costly. The English had even received the port of Dunkirk as promised by the French and Philip had secretly hoped that it would signal the end of English aggression. Sadly for him, his hopes were in vain.

The recent turmoil in England had only seen to strengthen the strangle hold of that Would-Be-King Oliver II, and with the Treaty of Lisbon even more forces would be brought against Spain. If Charles II was returned to his throne, Philip considered Spain would likely find him a valuable ally, indebted to his Spanish hosts. It was dependent on Charles regaining his throne though, and this seemed less and less likely with every passing day. However, despite the liability Charles was, Philip could not simply hand the King over to the Protectorate. No King would hand another over to face trial and execution, no matter what his religion. It set a bad precedent. His only option was to continue fighting until an opportunity to negotiate presented itself. The English diplomats were currently refusing to accept any terms that did not include the return of Charles, but this would likely change when the Englishmen began to fall by Spanish steel on Portuguese soil. [10]

None the less, Philip also wanted to avoid too much bad blood between the nations, as a future alliance against the French would require England to complete the encirclement [11]. The only comfort Philip had was that Dutch shipping had been commissioned for much of Spain’s goods. Even the English wouldn’t raid Dutch shipping despite their disagreements [12].

[1] With the military in ascendance and despite Oliver’s wish to uphold his father’s ideals, strong arm tactics are needed to keep the nation functioning.

[2] A little Fascist I know, but let’s be honest Cromwell was effectively a Proto-Fascist. Why is Oliver doing this, and if it was so easy why didn’t his father do it? Simply because Oliver Sr was trying to maintain some form of democracy, whereas now with the defeat of the Republicans all power now rests in the hands of the military, even if Oliver Jr wanted greater democracy it’s not up to him anymore.

[3] Red, White and Blue. Political party colours will have very different meanings in this timeline.

[4] Scotland will probably come back to bite the Lord Protector. Currently there are very few Scots holding Scottish seats in parliament.

[5] As stated before, but Spain will never hand over Charles.

[6] This is true in OTL too, England wanted an alliance to cap France’s power, yet nothing seemed to work out that way.

[7] As per OTL, the Restoration War is ongoing.

[8] Seems a logical conclusion, with France out of the war and the Protectorate needing a new front it seems logical the 2 would work on a deal.

[9] I think this is the most realistic conclusion. The Protectorate will be pushing for a massive offensive. Whether this would work or not isn’t the question. Portugal won’t allow it, so this seems the best middle ground.

[10] Philip can’t back down, hand Charles over, yet his forces have yet to score a major victory with Portugal. He’s hoping on English soldiers getting angry about dying for Portugal. He is also unaware that Portugal will restrict English troop movements to Portuguese soil.

[11] The 1660s will see many wars of irony. Neither side wants to fight, both sides would rather their enemy as an ally, yet neither will be able to back down due to their pride and national designs. This is why I love this TL.

[12] ...Or would they...

Last edited:
Chapter 5 - The Anglo-Spanish War

This is very well done. I'm sorry I never noticed it before.

(BTW, I'm somewhat fond of pasties. I get them whenever I visit the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, where they are a major item of regional cuisine.)

Having close ties with the military had many advantages for the wealthy merchants to ensure greater protection was afforded to their property over their competition [2].
[2] England becomes the world’s first ‘mafia’ state.
The Protectorate is a "protection racket"? But there is another question. In the Mafia, the henchmen of each "family" are loyal only to that family. There is constant pushing and shoving over control of the various rackets. This is limited by the work of "commissions" which seek to divide the pie. But the commissions are not disinterested - they cut deals for their own benefit, and the system breaks down into conflict again.

In this case - what do the Generals want? Wealth for themselves? Mafias use their muscle to batten on the property of the public and other rackets; then fight each other over the spoils. Or are these Generals more high-minded? Unlike Mafiosi, they are responsible for the state.
[6] Scotland will probably come back to bite the Lord Protector. Currently there are very few Scots holding Scottish seats in parliament.
The only Scottish seats are in the Scottish Parliament - all of which is Scottish seats. Has it been packed with sassenach carpetbaggers? Or was there a Union Parliament during the late Commonwealth? Not AFAIK.

Last edited:
This is very well done. I'm sorry I never noticed it before.

(BTW, I'm somewhat fond of pasties. I get them whenever I visit the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, where they are a major item of regional cuisine.)

The Protectorate is a "protection racket"? But there is another question. In the Mafia, the henchmen of each "family" are loyal only to that family. There is constant pushing and shoving over control of the various rackets. This is limited by the work of "commissions" which seek to divide the pie. But the commissions are not disinterested - they cut deals for their own benefit, and the system breaks down into conflict again.

In this case - what do the Generals want? Wealth for themselves? Mafias use their muscle to batten on the property of the public and other rackets; then fight each other over the spoils. Or are these Generals more high-minded? Unlike Mafiosi, they are responsible for the state.
The only Scottish seats are in the Scottish Parliament - all of which is Scottish seats. Has it been packed with sassenach carpetbaggers? Or was there a Union Parliament during the late Commonwealth? Not AFAIK.

Thank you sir! I do make my own pasties on occassion. The first historical record of a pasty is in Devon, not Cornwall, hence my username. There should be a Devon Pasty!

By mafia state I mean with sufficient bribery anyone can 'persuade' the Lord Protector's men to vote their way. Assuming its not against their interests of course.

As per OTL the Generals want power. When Parliament wasn't voting their way OTL, John Lambert and Charles Fleetwood staged a rebellion, blocking the house of Commons and try to rule again by force. Something similar happens here, except with a strong Lord Protector the Generals have some credibility. The reason Lambert went against Oliver in TTL is because whilst he was in favour of strong rule, Religious Independent rule, he had a falling out with Cromwell and wanted to avoid the House of Cromwell replacing the House of Stuart. Also helps General Monck was a supporter of the Cromwell family, and with his son Oliver being stronger than Richard Monck never moves against him.

I haven't decided if the title of Lord Protector becomes hereditary yet. Legally it isn't, but the Lord Protector names his own successor. Right now its similar to the Stadtholder position of the United Provinces.

In the Third Protectorate Parliament things were a little different. There was no Scottish Parliament at the time as the country was under military rule by General Monck. There were however Scottish Seats WITHIN the Protectorate Parliament. From my research, those who sat in the Scottish Seats and have any information about them were supporters of the New Model Army and definitely NOT Scottish, hence it seems both the Third (and now Fourth) Protectorate Parliaments would have seats representing Scotland but very few (if any) Scottish representatives.

Sorry, some more clarity on this point.

Basically the Generals are taking bribes with troop/navy deployment for merchants. The RN is used to protect English shipping, especially now the golden age of Piracy is on the horizon. The bribes allow greater ship protection for paying merchants, or a mysterous absence of escort for competitors. Possibly even paying for a handful of soldiers to travel aboard the merchant ship.

Less a case of "wouldn't it be a pity if someone broke your shop", more "nasty business, these pirates. It would be a lot safer if your good had some extra escort".

Chapter 6 - Europe & the Colonies

May 1660 was an eventful month for the Protectorate. The Treaty of Copenhagen saw the end of the Northern War, with Sweden and Denmark-Norway finally concluding a peace overseen by England, France and The United Provinces. Despite the death of Charles X of Sweden during proceedings, the 2 Kingdoms finally agreed to the official boundaries as stated in the treaty. With that, and the Treaty of Oliva signed a few weeks earlier, the war that had raged across northern Europe was final brought to end, with considerable gains for Sweden [1].

A number of ships had been set aside by the Protectorate to ensure Swedish interests were protected during the on-going negotiations, and with the treaty formally ratified some of these ships could be relocated to the offensive against Spain [2]. The 6,000 infantry promised by the Protectorate, along with a number of these ships, arrive in Portugal on 17th August 1660 to a warm welcome. Many of the soldiers had actually fought the Spanish previously in the Spanish controlled Netherlands. Despite being from 2 very different worlds, the Catholic Monarchist soldiers of Portugal and the Republican Protestant soldiers of the Protectorate had very agreeable relations during the time they were there. The mutual enemy of Spain was more than enough to encourage feelings of comradeship between the allies. That and the money of course.

Meanwhile at sea, the English fleet engaged the Spanish wherever possible, sinking or capturing many valuable Spanish merchant ships. A blockade was considered by the Protectorate Parliament but dismissed, as tying a large portion of the fleet down to a single location would have been dangerous, especially if something happened to one of the colonies [3].

The colonies themselves were undergoing some rather major changes. In 1659, the Governor of Maryland Josias Fendall led a Rebellion against Lord Baltimore, the holder of the Maryland Charter [4]. Under the colony system the holder of the Charter effectively ruled by the will of the Monarch (or now Lord Protector), with the Governor as an elected official with little actual influence in colony affairs.

Previously a more Royalist leaning colony, Fendall’s rebellion attempted to reorganise the colony into something more resembling the English Commonwealth, with quiet support from the Protectorate. The Rebellion was successful, and despite protests from Lord Baltimore, a House of Burgesses was established for Maryland, based on the model already in existence in Virginia [5].

Much like the Commonwealth’s Parliament the House of Burgesses had supreme power over the colony with the governor presiding. Most in the Protectorate were pleased with the outcome. Despite the wariness of Republicanism, the fact that the Royalists were no longer in ascendency meant the colony would be far more likely to fall in line with the Protectorate’s orders. However, unknowingly, this rebellion would be the bedrock for future colonial unrest, as many of the more Republican elements fleeing the Protectorate would eventually find their way to the Maryland Colony.

Virginia itself however was proving to be a problem. Previously declaring for King Charles II, in 1660 the Virginia House of Burgesses had re-elected the Royalist William Berkeley to be governor. Berkeley was very hostile towards Puritanism, and his return to power in Virginia angered those in the Protectorate. Berkeley was also in favour free-trade and autonomy from London, something which did not go down well with the new Lord Protector. Behind closed doors the Lord Protector’s men were quietly drawing up plans to re-establish control over Virginia, hoping to find allies in the New England Confederation of Puritan colonies. Whilst the war against the Spanish was ongoing little could be done, however plans were slowly formulated for action when the war was finally brought to an end [6].

Bermuda and the Caribbean colonies had been previously Royalist, but with the defeats on mainland England and Scotland and the threat of blockade, the colonies had fallen into line with the Protectorate. It was unpopular, but with no sign of a Royal Return any time soon the colonists cut their losses and returned to their lives [7]. Jamaica received further reinforcement following the push towards aggression with Spain. Plans were also drawn up for a second assault against Santo Domingo, in an echo of the previous attempt in 1655 which met with terrible fate. A force of 13,000 troops and 34 ships had been disastrously defeated by a Spanish force of a mere 2,500. Lord Protector Oliver II was determined to build on the campaign and seize the colony to wipe away the blot on his father’s legacy. A force of 40 ships and 7,000 infantry were marked for this new assault, with a further 10,000 to be found from elsewhere if possible. There was considerable risk drawing away so many soldiers from the Protectorate during a time of such instability, and as such the final stages of the operation would not be finalised until 1661, by which time matters had changed considerably [8].

The East India Company was not given much respect by the Protectorate government, however Cromwell had renewed its charter in 1657. Its weaker military support made it vulnerable to the Dutch East India Company, however despite the United Province’s quiet support of Spain the Protectorate did not consider it to be of pressing concern [9].

They would change this tune in November 1660, when a major diplomatic incident occurred between the English and Dutch fleets. A Protectorate Navy vessel patrolling the Spanish coast encountered a ship trying to make for the port of Cadiz. Despite flying Dutch colours the English Captain ordered the ship seized and searched. The ship was carrying Spanish cargo, which was promptly taken and the ship allowed to continue on its way. This caused outrage in the United Provinces, with the Dutch in demanding an apology and reparations from the Protectorate. The Protectorate refused, stating that they had simply seized Spanish goods as part of their on-going war, and no harm had come to the Dutch sailors, nor their property [10].

During this time, the United Provinces of the Netherlands were in the Stadtholderless period. The Stadtholders were much like the Lord Protector, an alternative to Monarchy but with almost as much power. The United Provinces, of which there were 7, each could nominate their own Stadtholder though a single individual could be a Stadtholder of multiple Provinces. The previous major Stadtholder William II of the House of Orange had died in 1650, and his infant son William III was not yet old enough to take the title. As such, the anti-Orangist Republican Johan de Witt had gained considerable power within the Provinces and Holland in particular. During the First Anglo-Dutch war he had engineered the Act of Seclusion, to which the Oliver Cromwell Senior had agreed. It had been the only condition attached to the treaty bringing the Anglo-Dutch war to an end. Since William III was the nephew of Charles II, the Act of Seclusion stated that William III could not be Stadtholder of Holland. Through clever manipulation Johan de Witt had managed to get this approved. The Orangist faction was outraged by this, but with William too young to enforce his claim little could be done about it [11].

With this diplomatic incident and events within the Protectorate, Johan de Witt saw and opportunity to smear the Orangists further . The position of Lord Protector seemed very close to the Province’s position of Stadtholder, and de Witt used the excessive use of force by the Lord Protector’s military supporters as vision of what could be if the Orangists returned to power [12]. The Republicans fleeing from the Protectorate echoed this sentiment, stirring up more support amongst the Provinces for action against the Protectorate [13]. De Witt also saw this as an opportunity to open up the restrictive trade barriers in place by English shipping, and as such opened a dialogue with the exiled Republicans to formulate a plan to restore a Commonwealth government to the Protectorate in exchange for allowing free trade for Dutch shipping [14].

On December 5th 1660, the United Provinces sent a declaration of war to the Protectorate of England, Scotland and Ireland. The Second Anglo-Dutch War had begun [15].

[1] This occurs as OTL, Sweden comes out rather well.

[2] Again, as OTL. Even with the escalation of war against Spain the Protectorate couldn't afford to ignore the resolution of the Sweden – Denmark-Norway war.

[3] Things seem rather delicate right now so I doubt the Protectorate would have concluded with an all out blockade.

[4] This occurred as per OTL.

[5] A big change here. With a Restored Monarchy, the rebellion failed. Here it succeeds, so we see Republicanism taking hold much stronger and earlier than OTL. There may well be a war of Colonial American Independence much earlier than OTL, with a considerably different outcome.

[6] As per OTL Virginia remains Royalist. The Protectorate has plans to make some rather drastic alterations to Virginia. However, the outcome of the Spanish war may make them unnecessary.

[7] From what I can tell, Bermuda and the Caribbean colonies weren't as strong Monarchist, and with the Protectorate in such a strong position it seems unlikely they'd continue to kick up a fuss, at least until something actually happens.

[8] As OTL Oliver Sr did send a force to take Santo Domingo that ended in disaster. I think it likely despite the increase in defences Oliver II would look to try again despite the difficulty it presented, if only out of sheer stubbornness.

[9] As per OTL, India isn't considered particularly important, especially as it isn't producing as much value as the Americas right now.

[10] A likely scenario. The English and Dutch were inevitably going to clash again, it just occurs a few years earlier. The Free Trade issue was never resolved.

[11] All true as OTL, Oliver Sr is tricked into signing a peace treaty with the Act of Seclusion.

[12] An opportunist is ever there was one, I can see Johan de Witt doing this.

[13] The Republicans that fled to the Provinces now have an effect.

[14] Even the Republicans are unlikely to agree to give up and commit to Dutch Free Trade, but if de Witt thinks there’s a chance, he'd go for it. His power base will only increase if he breaks open the English market.

[15] Several years ahead of OTL. And with the Anglo-Spanish war still raging. Could be fun.

Sorry, some more clarity on this point.

Basically the Generals are taking bribes with troop/navy deployment for merchants. The RN is used to protect English shipping, especially now the golden age of Piracy is on the horizon. The bribes allow greater ship protection for paying merchants, or a mysterous absence of escort for competitors. Possibly even paying for a handful of soldiers to travel aboard the merchant ship.

Less a case of "wouldn't it be a pity if someone broke your shop", more "nasty business, these pirates. It would be a lot safer if your good had some extra escort".

I'm sorry but I have to say this doesn't work very well.

In the first place, the only target is shipowners, and only those venturing in certain regions. The great bulk of the country's wealth is landbound.

In the second place, only those "generals" who control warships can get anything this way. That is not a recipe for unity among them.

In the third place, it would be rather strange for warships of the state to be continually ordered off on escort duty (for years at a time) in all directions and with no regard for strategy. The Lord High Admiral is going to be annoyed.

In the fourth place, the escorts cannot guarantee protection. The merchants would be better off arming their own ships.

In the fifth place, this is really nothing more than defensive naval mercenaries. Which AFAIK have never existed. They always cost more than they were worth, or no one even thought to organize them. The only possible "racket" here is if the "general" sends a warship which costs 1,000 pounds a month to operate, to serve as an escort for 500 pounds a month. In which case he's robbing the state, and the Lord Protector is going to be annoyed.

iSTM that the de facto constitution of Protectorate Britain needs more working out. Who are the Generals, and what powers do they have?

"They" command "the army"? As with the One Ring, that's not possible. Individual generals command various parts of the army. Are these parts personal followings? Who controls the state apparatus in various parts of the country? Who can collect taxes or make confiscations? Who can arrest or punish the contumacious or reluctant?

If Oliver II is Augustus, and the NMA are the Legions, then Roman-style civil wars are inevitable.