AHC WI Japanese Militarists do not take over

jAPAN had not always been a Warrior state. Militarists took over and started wars which led to Japan taking on the US AND ALSO cHINA.

How could this have been prevented?

IF WW2 was just in Europe how long would the US remain officially neutral?

Maybe if the Imperial government was a bit more honest about the Russian-Japanese war. That although the Japanese had spectacular victories they were at great financial cost to the country and could not go on forever. That might weaken the militarists by making clear Japan can't truly afford large, expensive wars.

A stronger, more united China is another possibility. If you have a leader in China which unites the country better than OTL which leads to a more prosperous China with a stronger army Japan may well not start anything.

Good thoughts, Derek and John.

Japan had some good possibilities.

Some POD's:

John's idea of the Russo-Japanese War being viewed by Japanese military and civilian govt w/o rose-coloured glasses is IMO on the right track.
Most importantly, the IJA and IJN caught some breaks making them think they more ready for prime than they were.
Better Russian performance means IJA smashed, and the Japan bankrupt no matter how well IJN does.

Barring the R-J war being a reality check, IOTL Japan had some some hurt feelings after WWI where everyone else got their due.

I've said it once, I've said 1000X- the IJA fighting on the ground in the Western Front in WWI would've been an even bigger reality check about modern war with first-class opponents.
IJN did very well in wrapping up the Asiatic squadrons of the Germans in the Pacific and the Med.
About the only things they didn't do was participate in Gallipoli or helping break the German sub blockade.

You'd see a lot more respect of the Japanese from the Brits and French.
Japan would be a lot more interested in maintaining good relationships with the the UK and building up their civilian economy.

Post-war, Taisho democracy gets a boost from adopting a more British parliament vs a Prussian Diet- constitutional monarchy with a more powerful respected civilian government.
So when the Kanto earthquakes come along, barring serious scandals, Japanese civil govt can keep order, rebuild on a basis of prosperity and democracy keeping Japan on track as a good global citizen instead of focusing on imperialistic adventures.

You'd see a different Chinese civil war where Japan uses soft power to inspire Chinese democrats vs a more fascist KMT getting more support from Germany. Manchukuo could be supported as a model of modern China vs the nightmares of warlord and KMT China.

Better PR means US's China lobby isn't as anti-Japanese from the git-go. If the Japanese work it well enough, make it an int'l League of Nations thing where Americans and Japanese do their best to help uplift China.

If Japan does not go gaga with militarism, could we see Russia and Japan fight a proxy war in China?

If Japan does not go gaga with militarism, could we see Russia and Japan fight a proxy war in China?

We kinda did OTL (although not always just proxy).

But it depends on the POD; a Russo-Japanese War that goes completely disastrously for Japan may not leave them in a position to exert too much influence in China in the first place.

We kinda did OTL (although not always just proxy).

But it depends on the POD; a Russo-Japanese War that goes completely disastrously for Japan may not leave them in a position to exert too much influence in China in the first place.

I hear you and it will have to be seen what could come out of an ATL Russo-Japanese conflict. Now if Russia had taken Japan's offer to split zones of interest in Korea we might see them work at proxies over the rest of China as time allowed.

Maybe if the Imperial government was a bit more honest about the Russian-Japanese war. That although the Japanese had spectacular victories they were at great financial cost to the country and could not go on forever. That might weaken the militarists by making clear Japan can't truly afford large, expensive wars.
Partly correct. The militarists learned Japan cant afford large expensive wars, so they attempted to improve Japan's warfighting ability instead, and you get the exact opposite of the result you wanted. They realized Japan's economic capabilities were weak and were low in natural resources, so they invaded Manchuria to obtain resources and strengthen Japan. The goal of the militarist factions above all was how to strengthen Japan, because they recognized some of Japan's glaring weaknesses (the obsession with said weaknesses eventually lead them to have huge blindspots regarding all their OTHER weaknesses).

Additionally both IJA and IJN focused their war doctrine on winning quick and decisive victories, while manipulating force multipliers into their favor. The idea is if you already know you cant afford large expensive wars, then only fight short quick wars.

In China for example the IJA didnt intend to fight a war (yet), but instead aimed to force a series of 'diplomatic incidents' that would end with minor changes in spheres of influence in Japan's favor and slowly subvert control of China, rather than trying to conquer all of China in one big sweep. The problem being that while Chiang Kai-Shek had been happy to always roll over and play dead before the Marco Polo Bridge Incident, at that point Chang had decided he "had had it with these motherfucking Japanese on this motherfucking mainland". Thus the Marco Polo Bridge incident which had been intended by the militarists to simply be a small footnote in history escalated fullscale into the Second Sino-Japanese War.

So in otherwords, no, you cannot 'tame' the militarist factions by calming them down a bit. You either get rid of them, or stop them before they rise.

Now if the Japanese instead of just being humbled by the Russo-Japanese war, outright lose and are pushed back into the sea (or at least Korea), as some people are suggesting here, then yes, that would effectively end the militarist factions before they even start, and we'll be getting somewhere.

Last edited:
At the risk of sounding immodest, I'm going to quote a previous post of mine on some of the reasons the Militarists were able to take over. This section is the economic causes, as I see them. Tomorrow I will try to update with more reasons, either the social or political.

me said:
Anyway, let's look at the factors that brought the Militarists to power:

Economic:

It's no secret that economic privation lead to destabilization in Europe, and that this helped lead to the rise of dictatorships. Desperation makes radical solutions seem more acceptable. Of course, Japan was no different. The post-World-War-One economic boom was part of what allowed the growth of Taisho Democracy in the 1920s. (The other major part was the fact that most of the Genro had died by then.)

The good times ended in 1927, when the Showa Financial Crisis began. In my view, there were two main causes for this: Europe had recovered from WW1, leading to greatly increased competition for Japanese exports, and many major Japanese banks were insufficiently capitalized and had over-extended themselves by loaning to these same exporters. The first cause is rather hard to butterfly, but the second is easy enough. Japanese banks didn't need to overextend themselves; in fact, I don't believe they wanted to. However, in this period (much like in modern-day China, and for many of the same developmentalist reasons) Japanese banks lent not just to companies that were expected to be profitable, but also to further state aims. A stronger split between the banks and the government, then, will make this financial crisis less severe, and therefore remove one of the factors that lead to the Militarist takeover.

In the grand scheme of things, the Showa Financial Crisis was relatively minor. Japan had suffered through banking crises before, and would again. The Great Depression was a larger hurdle. People have mentioned that Japan suffered less from the GD than did many other countries, and this is true. As they noted, the industrialization of Manchuria (Manchukuo) helped the Empire through the crisis. But of course, that invasion is one of those things we need to butterfly, as the seeming economic success of that move helped legitimize Militarist rule. Also, real rural incomes declined by over 50% during this period. While it wasn't as bad as in some other nations, it was still quite bad, and lead to much instability. A world that does not experience a Great Depression will be much less likely to see a Militarist Japan, or a Nazi Germany.

The last, and most important (in my view) factor, is the Smoot-Hawley Tariff. The first few months of the Great Depression in the US actually saw an increase in Japanese exports to that nation, as newly budget-conscious buyers started buying cheaper Japanese goods in preference to more expensive (though often better quality) domestic goods. Fear of just this sort of trend is part of what lead to the extremely high tariff passing in 1930. That tariff, and the retaliatory tariffs that followed it, lead to a decline in world trade of nearly two-thirds. For a nation that survived on exporting, this was devastating. Japan had to import (now much more expensive) raw materials, transform them into manufactured goods, and then sell those abroad, to pay to import (now more expensive) food. It was an existential threat. At this time Japanese goods usually competed because they were inexpensive, so these tarrifs usually priced them right out of the market.

Zmflavius wrote on the front page about how the support of the zaibatsu families was crucial to the success of the Militarists. He is absolutely correct about that. However, I will (kindly) disagree with his dissertation that the zaibatsu power bloc usually supported an aggressive foreign policy. In my view, the opposite was usually the case. This power bloc advocated for a small foreign policy. Of course the concessions were a vital part of their business strategy, and they favored a strong defense of them. But overall they favored good relations with as many nations as possible.

As a newly-industrializing nation, Japan occupied a strange niche in the world market. Her balance-of-trade with the industrialized nations, especially Europe, were perpetually in the red. This was because Japanese companies were usually importing expensive manufacturing equipment to develop their own factories. Her trade with East Asia, in contrast, was usually quite profitable, as it exported manufactured goods and received primary goods (foodstuffs, raw materials, etc) in return. Japan needed to maintain good relations with Europe, so that it could continue to import machinery and develop. But she also needed strong relations with East Asia, so people would agree to buy her goods. The industrialists had seen the effect that Chinese boycotts could have on their goods, and they feared such an effect.

Lastly, the zaibatsu families were the hereditary enemies of the military. Even before the Militarists took over, it wasn't uncommon for military expenses to take up over 30% of the national budget. Naturally, these kinds of expenditures required relatively higher levels of taxation, which the zaibatsu hated with a passion. The zaibatsu flexed their muscles to bring the military home from Siberia in 1922, and many in the military held a grudge. If you actually read any of what the Militarists wrote, if you read their propoganda, most of it is really just hatred against the business leaders. The rich elite were not loyal to Japan, and would compromise national interest in favor of profit. The rich elite had foreign business ties that made them "impure" and "not Japanese". They corrupted the true nature of the nation, which was spiritual at heart. It goes on and on.

So how did the zaibatsu come to favor the Militarists? It's simple, really: they felt like they had no other choice. Before the HS Tariff, they hated them. But after that passed, many felt like exports were simply not an option. At the very least, the Militarists could bring big (and profitable) military supply contracts. At least the factories would stay open. Further, if Japan was going to make things, it needed raw materials. If it could not pay for them, then perhaps the Militarists could simply seize them. Was that not better than going without? Military action would enrage the Chinese, and make them less likely to buy Japanese goods. But people weren't buying Japanese goods anyway. Maybe if the Militarists could turn China into a captive market, the way India was for the British, then Chinese people would have no choice but to buy from Japan. If that huge market was in Japanese hands, then the zaibatsu would never be such a position again.

Really, the alliance between the zaibatsu leaders and the Militarists is a case of politics making strange bedfellows. It was an alliance of desperation, one that never should have happened. It should be easy enough to butterfly...

I have two more sections for this mini-essay planned: Social factors, and government factors. However, I fear this is getting a bit long as it is. I will add in the other two latter. Sorry...:)

Post-war, Taisho democracy gets a boost from adopting a more British parliament vs a Prussian Diet- constitutional monarchy with a more powerful respected civilian government.
So when the Kanto earthquakes come along, barring serious scandals, Japanese civil govt can keep order, rebuild on a basis of prosperity and democracy keeping Japan on track as a good global citizen instead of focusing on imperialistic adventures.
Im gonna specifically focus on this point in your post.

While it sounds like a good idea in theory, we must not forget that the British parliamentary system was held together by fear and blood (and a few centuries of political development and tradition). Parliament executed a monarch once after all. And Edward VIII was more or less blackmailed into abdicating (with the threat that he would be forced to abdicate via act of parliament if he didnt). If any monarch dared to try and go against Britain's civilian government, things wouldnt go well for said monarch.

But at the end of the day parliament's authority specifically comes from said monarch. The monarch CAN revoke said authority, but that would go against centuries of tradition, be extremely unpopular, and parliament would be quick to retaliate AND has the ability to revoke the lifestyle of the monarch.

In short, in Britain its accepted that parliament rules over the monarchy. "The Queen reigns. But she does not rule."

That is not going to fly in Japan. At all. If the Diet even dreamed of such a situation, the military factions would throw a shit storm so hard it would make OTL look like an elementary school dispute.

Unlike Japan, Britain has traditionally been blessed with a small and apolitical army.

I believe the expression goes something like, "respect is earned, not given,"

Now you can say Japan's Emperor also traditionally had only a ceremonial position and ceremonial authority. But unlike Britain that didnt lead to a situation where the civil authority was superior to the monarch (and the military was a non factor), but rather a situation where the Emperor was beyond reproach and both Diet and military were (theoretically) equal in status below him.

The infamous war minister problem was a knock off of the respect issue. In theory by keeping the civil authority and military separate and allowing the military to submit their own war ministers, each branch of government would be able to specialize in their field. Also as a way for the Japanese government to show the army and navy that they respected the military's contributions to modern Japan.

Instead it resulted in anarchy and prime ministeral musical chairs as the military promptly abused the hell out of their new found powers. The obvious power inbalance also meant that while the two branches were theoretically equal with each other, its not like the Diet could effectively fight back against the military going nuts.

Simply trying to adapt British customs doesnt work, as that completely ignores the context of how Britain's constitution developed. Not to mention the small fact that Britain's constitution isnt even codefied and most of it is unwritten. ;)

Its not something a nation can simply try to emulate and be taught, but something Japan has to learn for itself. The point being, Japan and Britain are two completely different nations. What works in one, is not guaranteed to work in another.

And they way to teach Japan that is for the Emperor to smack the military factions when they start getting too uppity and allow the Prime Minister to do his damn job. And then maybe Japan might be off to a good start to building a democratic tradition. But until the Diet can establish themselves as above being bullied by the military, force must be countered with force. And unless the Diet somehow creates its own private army, the only man that could command the force necessary to counter the militarists, was Emperor Showa.

Though hindsight is 20/20. And i feel like even taking a strong stance against militarist disobedience (which often materialized in the form of assassinations and coups... And invading China), could only manage to temporarily slow down the turn towards military rule.

Unfortunately, as said, the Emperor's hands were tied by how much power he actually had, compared to how much power he theoretically had, thanks to Japan's own version of the unwritten constitution. The Emperor reigns, but he does not rule.

So maybe Mickey can suggest a better solution than me, since he knows a lot more about the specifics of Japan and in depth stuff that i do. :)

I'm sadly lacking really specific POD's that would get the result.

You make excellent points.

I could be dead-wrong, but activist emperors have been in short supply in Japanese history. For me Showa personally dope-slapping the various military leaders is near ASB. Nice if it happened, but terribly unlikely. Say Showa authorizing the Kampeitai to arrest hotheads and prosecute their disobedience would do a LOT to stop the "incidents" of the 1930's as Japan stumble-$%^&'d into war. YMMDV.

You illustrated the breakdown of civil authority brilliantly.
However might I chime in with AIUI the main problem with the IJA?
The IJA took the Prussian model of the "army with a country" to heart as well the cult of tactical initiative by junior officers.
They thought the entire Japanese Empire existed to celebrate and support their glorious victories on the battlefield.
They saw themselves as the instrument of the Emperor's will and weren't above creatively interpreting it.

If the IJA modeled themselves after the small, apolitical British Army, there'd be a lot less friction with the Diet.

@ Mcdo
You mention the zaibatsu-militarist alliance after Smoot-Hawley. AIUI unemployment was rampant especially in rural Japan. The IJA expansion soaked up a lot of the rural boys who couldn't get jobs in their villages or in the cities thus had a lot of contempt for the urban elites with a more globalist perspective.
Do you think that was another factor in the militarism?

As a shameless advertiser I'd like to announce that I plan to discuss the matter in detail in my ongoing TL :D

If loosing makes one bitter, and winning creates hybris, then the simplest solution might be a case where Japan is able to avoid war for a while. This would allow her civilian institutions to take root and gain more ground and prestige instead of the militaristic siege mentality of OTL.

Later events fade away the fact that after the Sino-Japanese War the consensus in Japanese leadership was that military victories over weaker East Asian nations would only lead to Western intervention, and that Japan should conduct careful diplomacy and avoid adventurism abroad.

Even the path to eventual Russo-Japanese confrontation over Manchuria was anything but unavoidable.

Economics are indeed the big one that can do it. Unfortunately it's pretty hard to keep the Japanese economy doing well without waving away the depression which would have big effects elsewhere.

Another alternative, which again is kind of dwarfing what we're trying to do, is to have China be far more together. Don't have China tearing itself apart in civil war and presenting such an obvious target and there wouldn't really be anywhere for Japanese militarists to turn.

Perhaps another alternative could be for Japan, and possibly others, to get far more deeply involved in the Russian civil war and get their fingers burned?
It wouldn't quite have the effect of showing Japan needs a strong military to defend itself but it would show the folly of foreign adventures that do nothing for Japan.

Economics are indeed the big one that can do it. Unfortunately it's pretty hard to keep the Japanese economy doing well without waving away the depression which would have big effects elsewhere.

Another alternative, which again is kind of dwarfing what we're trying to do, is to have China be far more together. Don't have China tearing itself apart in civil war and presenting such an obvious target and there wouldn't really be anywhere for Japanese militarists to turn.

Perhaps another alternative could be for Japan, and possibly others, to get far more deeply involved in the Russian civil war and get their fingers burned?
It wouldn't quite have the effect of showing Japan needs a strong military to defend itself but it would show the folly of foreign adventures that do nothing for Japan.

Waving away the depression isn't as hard as it seems. Of course, the business cycle always has its ups and downs, but preventing the Treaty of Versailles, which did in large part cause the Depression by encouraging unsustainable borrowing which was the only way to meet the crushing obligations it presented would be a good place to start.

No Chinese Civil War would also help, but seeing as to how Japanese imperialism in China extended all the way back to the 1890s, I think that more substantial changes would also be needed.

The Russian Civil War idea, I think, is also interesting. Interestingly, I think it's within the realm of possibility that in such an event, Japan could still hold onto North Sakhalin; owing to the fact that the IJA certainly cannot indefinitely hold Vladivostok, but on the other hand, the IJN and the non-existent Russian Navy basically means that the Russians can't occupy Sakhalin, and such a turn of events makes it singularly unlikely that Sakhalin's return will be on the table.

jAPAN had not always been a Warrior state. Militarists took over and started wars which led to Japan taking on the US AND ALSO cHINA.

How could this have been prevented?

IF WW2 was just in Europe how long would the US remain officially neutral?

For one thing, Japan's economy would be massive today avoiding WW2 and the Korean War, the country's GDP can be as high as $10 trillion. And, with such a GDP worlds beyond what most of Asia would acquire (perhaps aside from China if they still get "opened" up in this ATL), Japan is going to absorb and control neighboring states by its sheer dominance. In fact, a Japan that is not totally retarded could today control Manchuria, Taiwan, Hainan and tons of islands, pretty much shoring up much of Asia's offshore oil.

They would easily be the master's of Asia, and the US would probably be buddy-buddy with China as a counterweight, while Japan will likely have some sort of alliance with Russia.

It's hard to see Japan eventually not getting meddled with the US, as the two powers would ultimately clash, unless the USSR became very aggressive in Asia. But once nukes are invented, there isn't going to be a hot war between the two powers, which means Japan would be in good shape.

As for the US in WW2, the US would declare war by late 42 due to a U-Boat sinking. Japan would not get themselves involved.

For one thing, Japan's economy would be massive today avoiding WW2 and the Korean War, the country's GDP can be as high as $10 trillion. And, with such a GDP worlds beyond what most of Asia would acquire (perhaps aside from China if they still get "opened" up in this ATL), Japan is going to absorb and control neighboring states by its sheer dominance. In fact, a Japan that is not totally retarded could today control Manchuria, Taiwan, Hainan and tons of islands, pretty much shoring up much of Asia's offshore oil.

Honestly, I doubt that very much. An essential part of Japan being non-retarded means keeping their fingers off Manchuria and Hainan. Arguably even Taiwan. That's not to say that Manchuria won't be critical to the Japanese economy; Japanese investment in Manchuria was huge. But it's impossible to imagine that barring Japanese military intervention, that Japan can expect to indefinitely dictate the order of things in Manchuria's economy, as it tried OTL. China will expect to have control of the economy within its own territory, such as in Manchuria; that doesn't necessarily void some form of cooperation with Japan. To, I dunno about $10 trillion GDP too. That's nearly as large as the US, and the US is much bigger than Japan could conceivably hope to be.

Incidentally, the Korean War was actually beneficial to Japan; it was in large part Japan being able to fill increased demand triggered by the Korean War that kick-started the Japanese economy.

They would easily be the master's of Asia, and the US would probably be buddy-buddy with China as a counterweight, while Japan will likely have some sort of alliance with Russia.

Unlikely. Japan's foreign policy after WWI centered around containment of Russia, and the co-option of China, either by puppetization or conquest, for this expected fight.

It's hard to see Japan eventually not getting meddled with the US, as the two powers would ultimately clash, unless the USSR became very aggressive in Asia. But once nukes are invented, there isn't going to be a hot war between the two powers, which means Japan would be in good shape.

Probably true, but it bears mentioning that not invading all her neighbors would have a marvelous effect on limiting US intervention.

Honestly, I doubt that very much. An essential part of Japan being non-retarded means keeping their fingers off Manchuria and Hainan. Arguably even Taiwan.
Arguably a "non-militaristic" Japan won't have these territories, but Japan could have been aggressive and just not friggin' stupid (seeing once they inflamed the US, make concessions with their aggressiveness in CHina.) It's possible, as the US would have declared war on Japan if they wanted to just fight them regardless.

That's not to say that Manchuria won't be critical to the Japanese economy; Japanese investment in Manchuria was huge. But it's impossible to imagine that barring Japanese military intervention, that Japan can expect to indefinitely dictate the order of things in Manchuria's economy, as it tried OTL. China will expect to have control of the economy within its own territory, such as in Manchuria; that doesn't necessarily void some form of cooperation with Japan. To, I dunno about $10 trillion GDP too. That's nearly as large as the US, and the US is much bigger than Japan could conceivably hope to be.
Korea, Japan and Taiwan today are about 7.5 to 8 trillion in GDP. Add a bunch of Islands, Manchuria, no nukes and being bombed into the ground, avoiding WW2, I think a 20% increase in GDP is modest.

Incidentally, the Korean War was actually beneficial to Japan; it was in large part Japan being able to fill increased demand triggered by the Korean War that kick-started the Japanese economy.

Unlikely. Japan's foreign policy after WWI centered around containment of Russia, and the co-option of China, either by puppetization or conquest, for this expected fight.

In other threads, it is agreed in retrospect, and even at the time, japan dragging the US and UK into war with them was simply insane. Simply back off Japan being totally insane and just sorta smart and evil, and they will retain much of Imperial Japan and simply not push too hard against the USSR and the USA. After WW2, it's likely the USSR will play sides between CHina and Japan just to keep them off balance, but they will not go to war with japan all alone. Stalin's armies were toast and he knew it.

Probably true, but it bears mentioning that not invading all her neighbors would have a marvelous effect on limiting US intervention.

yes, but with no korean war, the earliest possible US intervention is in southeast asia. So, by this point Japan and the certainly the US are nuclear powers. Japan won't fight a hot war over ex-french colonies (which, depending upon butterflies, they might actually control being that they were in vichy french hands. Japan could have declared war on the axis and just gobbled up French colonies, and send some token support to the allies.)

This is all speculative, but my point is a Japan that, which they could have easily, avoids direct conflict with the USA and USSR would be today the world's second largest power. Their money would compete with the US as a reserve currency. And the reason why is by the time the US and Japanese interests could even directly clash, both will be nuclear powers, so a hot war would be unthinkable. So, nothing can stop Japan aside from revolution within...which can happen, but judging by how Koreans and Chinese tolerate dictatorial governments, is definitely not a preordained conclusion.

IIRC since around the turn of the century didn't the cabinet member for the War Ministry and Admiralty have to be a serving General and Admiral respectively? From what I can recall it was meant to try and stop the political parties from messing about with the military but ended up having the completely opposite effect in that it effectively gave them a veto over any governments or policies they disliked, due to the fact that you couldn't form or continue a government with unfilled cabinet seats. Avoiding this should help a little bit I would have thought along with the other changes people have mentioned.

Arguably a "non-militaristic" Japan won't have these territories, but Japan could have been aggressive and just not friggin' stupid (seeing once they inflamed the US, make concessions with their aggressiveness in CHina.) It's possible, as the US would have declared war on Japan if they wanted to just fight them regardless.

Yes, but anything Japan could have gotten by peace would not nearly have amounted to 'control' of Manchuria or Hainan island. The US did not mind if Japan had extensive interests in China, but it really did not want Japan to actually cut off a slice of China and puppetize it, or anything close to that. Japan if she is not aggressive will have the same influence in Manchuria that the US has in Shenzhen, which is far from control, but not unprofitable. The whole point of US policy in China was to ensure that China remained a stable and whole state, from which everyone had profitable relations (the Open Door policy), and Japanese aggression flies straight in the face of that.

Basically, control of Manchuria is synonymous with friggin' stupid. Unless you think economic investment amounts to control. In which case I should probably tell the people of Toledo, Ohio that they're part of Italy now.

Korea, Japan and Taiwan today are about 7.5 to 8 trillion in GDP. Add a bunch of Islands, Manchuria, no nukes and being bombed into the ground, avoiding WW2, I think a 20% increase in GDP is modest.
Right, that's a good point. I forgot about that.

In other threads, it is agreed in retrospect, and even at the time, japan dragging the US and UK into war with them was simply insane. Simply back off Japan being totally insane and just sorta smart and evil, and they will retain much of Imperial Japan and simply not push too hard against the USSR and the USA. After WW2, it's likely the USSR will play sides between CHina and Japan just to keep them off balance, but they will not go to war with japan all alone. Stalin's armies were toast and he knew it.
Errr...could you explain this in a somewhat more clear manner? On one note, however, there's no reason for Stalin not to avoid war with Japan, at least not for the reason you listed, because as far as anyone knew, and history bore this out, the Red Army was a far more capable fighting force than the IJA.

yes, but with no korean war, the earliest possible US intervention is in southeast asia. So, by this point Japan and the certainly the US are nuclear powers. Japan won't fight a hot war over ex-french colonies (which, depending upon butterflies, they might actually control being that they were in vichy french hands. Japan could have declared war on the axis and just gobbled up French colonies, and send some token support to the allies.)
If she declared war on the Axis, she would be on the same side of Free France, whose territory she would be invading. Remember that the Allied powers wouldn't recognize Vichy France as the government of France, or France as an enemy country.

Japan becoming a nuclear power so quickly is a very questionable premise, for that matter. Japanese nuclear research was heavily behind even Britain and Germany, and the former didn't get the bomb until 1952.

This is all speculative, but my point is a Japan that, which they could have easily, avoids direct conflict with the USA and USSR would be today the world's second largest power. Their money would compete with the US as a reserve currency. And the reason why is by the time the US and Japanese interests could even directly clash, both will be nuclear powers, so a hot war would be unthinkable. So, nothing can stop Japan aside from revolution within...which can happen, but judging by how Koreans and Chinese tolerate dictatorial governments, is definitely not a preordained conclusion.
...You know how big a problem for Japan Korean and Chinese nationalism was in Korea and Manchuria, right? East Asians aren't some monolithic block of drones who worship authority. Japan ruled Korea and Manchuria by virtue of a combination of state terror, extensive militarization, and ruthless repression. This is rather like saying that Nazi Germany, if she annexed all of European Russia, would have absolutely no problems holding down European Russia because Russians are inherently authoritarian and won't mind being under the Nazi jackboot.