WI: Papua New Guinea remained an Australian territory.

In 1975, on the order of the United Nations, Australia was told to cease administration of Papua New Guinea and allow the territory to govern itself. Australia obliged and what appeared to be one of the smoothest and peaceful transitions of power in the region at the time, the Territory of Papua and New Guinea became simply Papua New Guinea.

But...what if Australia retained PNG? What if the United Nations did not force Australia to give up administration of Papua and it went the way of, say, French Guinea where it could either remain a territory with certain privilages or is made a State of the Commonwealth?

In 1975, on the order of the United Nations, Australia was told to cease administration of Papua New Guinea and allow the territory to govern itself... What if the United Nations did not force Australia to give up administration of Papua

Checking Jenny Hocking's Whitlam biography, I find that on 14th December 1972, the UN General Assembly called "for Australia to prepare, in consultation with PNG, a timetable for independence." All with no mention of the security council, i.e. the UN branch with the power to compel behaviour. This was twelve days after Labor won the election, with a platform that included the granting of independence.

And I'm fairly certain this all came after the previous Coalition govt had spent years laying the groundwork (a quick google of 'Gorton + PNG independence' confirms that, yes, folk claim he was the real driving force. Sounds plausible.)

So there's some points to consider about the actual role of the UN, and the bipartisan desire in Australia to be rid of that colony.

Last edited:
In the short-term, the place is an underdeveloped money-sink, in the long-run, with some skilled developmental policies and an eye towards improving the educational and economic conditions of the Papuan people, Australia may well turn the place into a boomtown in Ocenia. Papua New Guinea has an enormous amount of natural resources, and once the infrastructure is in place to take advantage of them, it could very easily experience enormous economic prosperity and quite probably a major improvement in living conditions for the local peoples as well.

If Australia had it still, do you think it might play any part with Australian politics if it had become a State?

If Australia had it still, do you think it might play any part with Australian politics if it had become a State?

Let's work with a 30 year rule. Australia has incredibly repressive information laws, and 30 years and no names might help. So lets speak of the development of the state of Papua New Guinea to 2013-31= 1982.

Not much room in there.

Assuming that Gorton† was laying the basis for territorial and eventual state entry.

1970: PNG 2,553,712, Australia 12M.

PNG would have to be admitted as a state, directly, or Australia would face significant opprobrium from the world community. Without disparaging Gorton's memory (and I have every right to, given that he's dead; a right I don't have in relation to the living) I am strongly assuming that the racist nature of Australians in this period, as opposed to later periods' different racist complexions, would result in preparation for admission as a territory, with a hand wave about certain developmental conditions needing to be met before entry as a state. This is assuming that the enabling referendum got up. Which it could as the dog-collar / citizenship referendum demonstrates, as does the general shift to the left in the period.

Assuming that a Labor government follows on, they are likely to try to use federal powers to change the situation in PNG, probably from an assimilationist stand point. The "multiculturalism" of the actual ALP government we saw in the historic early 1970s was shallow, tokenistic, and assimilationist—so for that matter has Australian multiculturalism been generally. While the relationship between Colonists and Indigenous people generally is fraught; at least Australia in the 1970s isn't in the "why not kill them all?" or "systematic rape / culture destruction" modes of governance. At least not in PNG. And Australia can't disarm PNG.

One advantage for PNG is that the ACTU and other peak union bodies might take unionising PNG workers more seriously if eventual incorporation as a state is on the table. I don't see this tendency as being changed by the change of government that will happen as the "unrestrained period of wages and prices growth" runs headlong into international recession.

Finally, government in the late 1970s is going to come under systematic attack by a burgeoning left movement in the cities of Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney. This is likely to include an anti-apartheid and anti-racist element in relation to PNG. This may result in a longer term exclusion of Torres Strait Islander indigenous identity, which could be overshadowed by PNG indigenous identities in politics.

Australia is viewed with disdain by many countries. The common comparison of Indonesia taking West Papua (and Timor Leste) and Australia taking PNG is made continuously. There is upset in many regions of PNG over mining exploration, though this is nascent.

By the early 1980s, PNG is still not admitted as a state, having failed to meet the "development" goals required, ie: the "white" hurdle as anti-apartheid activists in Australia call it. The Maoist factions in Australia have been busy sending activists North, and are getting a hearing.

I'm not willing to cross the watershed of 1982, if there's one place that Australia has gone backwards in politically since the 1970s, it is freedom of speech.

Finally, and most importantly, the impact of incorporation on the Australian Film Industry is a positive one, particularly as the South Australian film body sends producers to PNG, and as ABC's dual role as a coloniser and as a witness opens PNG up to the Metropolitan Australia's imagination.

Braver souls in freer nations may wish to explore more modern themes.

yours,
Sam R.

Curiousone

Banned
Aust didn't want PNG over immigration.

PNG had been an Australian territory because the country didn't want any foreign power sitting on the doorstep to the country post WW2 with memories of fighting off Imperial Japan from those lands.

What changed was the end of the White Australia Policy. No WAP & PNG as part of Australia would mean PNG peoples would have the right to freely immigrate. PNG is very under-developed, the kind of place you hear about Anthropologists going to study hill tribe people who've literally never left the stone-ages or contacted civilization.

So cynically the government 'gave them independence' (cut that perceived liability). They dealt with the keeping of any foreign power out by giving $1Mill AUD to each member of parliament of Papua's govt every year as 'development aid' (no really it's that shallow & base..). There are people from PNG suing the Australian Government to this day for stripping them of their rights to migration etc. To have PNG remain an Australian territory there needs to be some reason for Australia to want to keep it under direct management.

A communist Indonesia maybe?

If Western New Guinea had remained independent or under Dutch protection, do you think Australia would of aided in its protection? Would that have any part of Australia keeping PNG?

Curiousone

Banned
West Papua

The Dutch didn't have the strength or will to hold West Papua against Indonesia. It was a pattern of decolonization repeated across the D.E.I.

Australia supported Indonesia against the Dutch in taking West Papua (through dodgy 'elections'/petitions) because they saw which way the wind was blowing, wanted to be on the right side of their new neighbours.

Maybe if Indonesia goes Communist & there's proxy fighting going on. If it's Suharto then no.

The Dutch didn't have the strength or will to hold West Papua against Indonesia. It was a pattern of decolonization repeated across the D.E.I.

Australia supported Indonesia against the Dutch in taking West Papua (through dodgy 'elections'/petitions) because they saw which way the wind was blowing, wanted to be on the right side of their new neighbours.

Maybe if Indonesia goes Communist & there's proxy fighting going on. If it's Suharto then no.

I agree but thought I would toss out a what if. If Indonesia had gone communist then I think the battles there would of made Vietnam pale in comparison.