Anne of Austria does not suffer miscarriage in 1631

There were several threads on different Louis XIV, for example this one:
https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=175372
However the miscarriage of 1631, depending on one freak accident, would have been the easiest to avoid.

The birth of male child, christened Louis, in 1631, will have several significant consequences for France:
  • The child's formation years will be under influence of Richelieu, not Mazarin (considering both Richelieu and Louis XIII die on schedule)
  • Gaston D'Orleans will try to betroth his daughter (OTL Grande Mademoiselle) to *Louis probably soon after his birth. Unlike OTL betrothals to Louis and Philippe, that one won't be weighed down by 10+ age difference.
  • This one makes the Regency (brief one) even more interesting. Gaston D'Orleans will be without doubt interested in consummating the marriage of *Louis and Anne ASAP, turning it into rehash of Francis II reign AKA young King's mother VS his in-laws
  • Considering possibility *Louis has two siblings born in 1638 and 1640 respectively (Henry, Duc D'Anjou (OTL Louis XIV) and Philippe, Duc de Berry (OTL Philippe d'Orleans) what can be marriage prospects for them? I can see TTL Marie-Theresa of Spain wed to her cousin, Ferdinand, King of Romans, circa 1652, Henry may marry Margarita Violante of Savoy (OTL Louis bride) and Philippe is still good for Henriette-Anne of England.
  • Fronde-less (or with much more limited Fronde) *Louis may interfere in ECW?
Any more ideas?

Valena said:
The child's formation years will be under influence of Richelieu, not Mazarin (considering both Richelieu and Louis XIII die on schedule)
Mazarin could still have bits of influence on the education of the boy: if born in 1631, TTL Louis XIV* would be no older than 12 when he comes on the throne. Mazarin could thus put finishing touches and still serve as Prime Minister during TTL Louis XIV's early years.

However, it's most certainly sure that Richelieu and Louis XIII will play a major role in the education of TTL Louis XIV if he is born in 1631. Which will necessarilly have an impact on his personnallity.

*I'm pretty sure Louis would be the most likely name given to him.
Valena said:
Gaston D'Orleans will try to betroth his daughter (OTL Grande Mademoiselle) to *Louis probably soon after his birth. Unlike OTL betrothals to Louis and Philippe, that one won't be weighed down by 10+ age difference.
It will still suffer from the opposition between Louis XIII and his brother: Gaston was always at the center of the intrigues against his brother and both Louis XIII and Richelieu knew it. The only thing that saved Gaston (six times pardonned OTL) was the fact that he was heir to the throne at the time and as Louis XIII had no son, they couldn't afford to behead his brother.

Marrying La Grande Mademoiselle to TTL Louis XIV would still put Gaston close to power, which is probably something neither Louis XIII nor Richelieu want. La Grande Mademoiselle is also of a (slightly) lower rank than TTL Louis XIV so this could play against her. That said, she is the heiress to the colossal fortune of the Montpensier family and probably of a large part of her father's fortune, which could strenghten TTL Louis XIV's position in France. Still, I don't think she would be Louis XIII or Richelieu's first choice.
Valena said:
This one makes the Regency (brief one) even more interesting. Gaston D'Orleans will be without doubt interested in consummating the marriage of *Louis and Anne ASAP, turning it into rehash of Francis II reign AKA young King's mother VS his in-laws
I could see Gaston working his way so that Louis XIII's will is applied in this case. OTL, Anne had Parliament repel her husband's will because it was organizing a Regency council to limit her powers as Regent. Since Gaston was on the names for the the council, he could see it in his interest to support his brother's will in this scenario.
Valena said:
Considering possibility *Louis has two siblings born in 1638 and 1640 respectively (Henry, Duc D'Anjou (OTL Louis XIV) and Philippe, Duc de Berry (OTL Philippe d'Orleans) what can be marriage prospects for them? I can see TTL Marie-Theresa of Spain wed to her cousin, Ferdinand, King of Romans, circa 1652, Henry may marry Margarita Violante of Savoy (OTL Louis bride) and Philippe is still good for Henriette-Anne of England.
Henri (OTL Louis XIV) could still marry Maria Theresa of Spain in this scenario: this was the result of peace talks with Spain remember. The Spanish might be a bit more willing to marry the eldest daughter of the King of Spain to a French prince as said prince woudln't be King (though he would still be pretty close in the succession line). Furthermore, they agreed OTL because a son was born to Philippe IV during the negociations (not Charles II of Spain but an elder brother who died young).
Valena said:
Fronde-less (or with much more limited Fronde) *Louis may interfere in ECW?
Part of the reason for the Fronde were the result of the policies of Louis XIII and Richelieu, so I'm not sure the Fronde wouldn't happen. I can agree though that it will probably be more limited as we have an older Louis XIV (12 here and not 5 when he comes on the throne) and possibly (if we go by your scenario of La Grande Mademoiselle being Queen) leading OTL "Frondeurs" in key position of power.

As for the English Civil War... It depends on how French military situation is at the time. The Thirty Years War would be over but OTL the French waged war against the Spanish until 1659 and the Peace of the Pyrenees. The war could be shorter OTL without the Fronde (or with a reduced Fronde) to mess with it but it still has to be taken into account. I still have doubts the King of France would intervene, though I could see him being supportive of the Royalist Cause in England.
Valena said:
Any more ideas?
The War against Spain could have a different outcome depending on how the absence of Fronde (or a much-reduced Fronde) would impact on it. Aside from the length, the end results could be different and the French could try to seize the Spanish Netherlands and France-comté if they can.
Valena said:
1631 was caused by accident with Duchesse De Chevrese, not 1622, AFAIR
No, it was actually in 1622 that Anne of Austria miscarried because of an accident. She was playing with her ladies-in-waiting and most notably the Duchesse de Chevreuse when she fell in the stairs. The fall resulted in Anne of Austria miscarrying her baby: this also caused a rift between her and Louis XIII as the King blamed his Queen for her imprudence and he also blamed Mme de Chevreuse (Anne of Austria's closest friend) for having encouraged Anne.

I'm also pretty sure it can't be 1631 because the Duchesse de Chevreuse had been banished from the court and was in Lorraine at the time.

The date 1631 (attributed to Anne falling from horse or somewhat like that) was given in the book on famous French Queens I've read recently, but author here is somewhat playing with facts and was doing more of "Mythbusting" popular culture myths installed in mass consciousness by Dumas' fiction (there were some factual errors in article about Maria and Catherine Medici as well). Anyways, the survival in 1622 is more plausible but survival in 1631 is more interesting.
Or maybe give Anne 4 successful pregnancies - surviving GIRL in 1622, a boy in 1631 and two boys in 1638 and 1640 (OTL Louis and Philippe). There was a TL on this ("A happier marriage" or something like this) but SIX surviving children is highly implausible number for Anne and Louis - 4 is much more realistic, especially since we know that miscarriage in 1622 and miscarriage in 1631 (probably) were accidents that could have been avoided.

Valena said:
The date 1631 (attributed to Anne falling from horse or somewhat like that) was given in the book on famous French Queens I've read recently, but author here is somewhat playing with facts and was doing more of "Mythbusting" popular culture myths installed in mass consciousness by Dumas' fiction
Didn't read the book in question, so I can't say if it's wrong or not. Besides, I don't know every cause of Anne of Austria's miscarriage: just the 1622 one because I read about it (and remember the Staircase incident). Anne could have indeed miscarried because of a Horse Fall in 1631: it's something to check, but it is a possibility.
Valena said:
Anyways, the survival in 1622 is more plausible but survival in 1631 is more interesting.
Depends on what you're looking for. If born in 1622, you would end up with a 21 year old as King of France in 1643 and thus a young adult that has completely finished his education as future King and has a bit of political experience on his own: it's an interesting scenario as you have no need for a Regency at all, which means Royal Power isn't that much weakened.

If born in 1631, the new King is 12 in 1643 which means he'll need a regent for a year or so (the majority being 13 for the French King at the time). The new King is also a teenager who might not have finished his education completely and who might not have political experience (or very few). It's a better position than OTL Sun King but it doesn't mean Royal Power wouldn't have been weakened.

You end up with two different scenarios that could be interesting because they bring up different situation.
Valena said:
Or maybe give Anne 4 successful pregnancies - surviving GIRL in 1622, a boy in 1631 and two boys in 1638 and 1640 (OTL Louis and Philippe). There was a TL on this ("A happier marriage" or something like this) but SIX surviving children is highly implausible number for Anne and Louis - 4 is much more realistic, especially since we know that miscarriage in 1622 and miscarriage in 1631 (probably) were accidents that could have been avoided.
The TL you mentionned was "A Happier Wedding, A Greater France", and you're speaking with the Author :p Saddly, I've put the Timeline on hiatus because I'm lacking motivation to write and I'm no longer satisfired with what I had written (mostly because I've done more research). I might start over as I still have ideas regarding it on the corner of my mind but for now it will remain this way.

Regarding the Miscarriages that could have been successful pregnancies: if you go by the rules of Alternate History, any stillborn child could have been a living child and vice-versa. So, the idea that Anne wouldn't suffer any miscarriages is still a possibility. That said, you are right: four is a more realistic scenario as it still takes into account infant mortalility at the time.

You couldn't have read it since it's a book by Russian author:p But maybe she got the miscarriages confused.
If you are going to start with redux version, it will be interesting thing to read. A number of surviving children and marriage of a Madame Royale to a Dutch prince were the things that bugged me the most in your TL. Even for Mary Stuart a marriage to William II was seen as "marrying down". For France it will be even more nonsensical, if a dynastic marriage is needed, a lower-ranked Princess of Blood could have been used (OTL Duchess of Longueville is a best variant, and considering her OTL track record she'd make a badass wife of William II).
Another minor bug about your TL - ignoring the existence of this lady
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Leopoldine_of_Austria
If there are free French Princesses to offer roughly at the time of TTL Treaty of Westphalia, she will be married to Charles-Louis of Palatinate-Simmern as a part of this treaty, as was planned initially before the first wife of Ferdinand died. First cousins marriage in your TL is not the best idea ever.

Just my five cents.