WI: No Eurofighter Typhoon?

abc123

Banned
So, let's talk what would be the consequences if somehow Typhoon is cancelled during 90s? I don't know why, mabye because Kohl has no money ( German reunification or something else ) or whatever, but somewhere in early 90s Typhoon is cancelled?

abc123

Banned
So, what could UK make then? Go after Typhoon independently?
Join France with Rafale? Buy Raptor from Americans?

Britain had no money to develop Typhoon on their own. Raptor would mean that British airspace industry will not get big part of the cake and was very expencive...

Rafale- would French even let Britain in as equal partner so late- Rafale was more- less developed by that time...

What would Germany and Italy do? Buy F-16 or F-18 from Americans?

If its the early 90's then there's a real possibility that the project continues either as a British only project or with either the Italians and/or Spanish. There was a real determination in Britain to progress with it in some form, from what I remember there was real irritation in the Major Government and the Tory Party at the way the Germans were getting cold feet, apparently even looking for it to be changed to a single engine which would have required a complete redesign of the aircraft.

I can't see the project as a whole being canned if the Germans pull out because of the thousands of job losses it would have meant in Britain, the project would have been delayed several years and cost a lot more but it would have gone ahead in some form.

abc123

Banned
If its the early 90's then there's a real possibility that the project continues either as a British only project or with either the Italians and/or Spanish. There was a real determination in Britain to progress with it in some form, from what I remember there was real irritation in the Major Government and the Tory Party at the way the Germans were getting cold feet, apparently even looking for it to be changed to a single engine which would have required a complete redesign of the aircraft.

I can't see the project as a whole being canned if the Germans pull out because of the thousands of job losses it would have meant in Britain, the project would have been delayed several years and cost a lot more but it would have gone ahead in some form.

OK, that would mean that the Typhoon is even more British aircraft...
But would Italians and Spanish be ready to make for Germans, to pay more for development because Germans pulled out?

OK, that would mean that the Typhoon is even more British aircraft...
But would Italians and Spanish be ready to make for Germans, to pay more for development because Germans pulled out?

There was a big lobbying operation mounted by the Major Government to keep the Italians on board, including the lease of Tornado ADV's to replace some of the AMI's Starfighters as a stopgap. The Italians and Spanish would drive a harder bargain if the Germans had quit but they would also be looking at significant job losses if the programme died so I suspect some kind of deal would have been done.

abc123

Banned
There was a big lobbying operation mounted by the Major Government to keep the Italians on board, including the lease of Tornado ADV's to replace some of the AMI's Starfighters as a stopgap. The Italians and Spanish would drive a harder bargain if the Germans had quit but they would also be looking at significant job losses if the programme died so I suspect some kind of deal would have been done.

Yes, but essentially, someone should pay for that...

British costs of development were about 6,5 billions pounds, German were somewhere around 5,5-6, so that would mean that UK should pay at least 2,5-3 billions more for development and Italy and Spain at least 1,5 and 1 billion respectivly.

Yes, but essentially, someone should pay for that...

British costs of development were about 6,5 billions pounds, German were somewhere around 5,5-6, so that would mean that UK should pay at least 2,5-3 billions more for development and Italy and Spain at least 1,5 and 1 billion respectivly.
Would there be any traction in trying to get the Saudi's to commit to the aircraft whilst in development and shoulder some of the development costs?

abc123

Banned
Would there be any traction in trying to get the Saudi's to commit to the aircraft whilst in development and shoulder some of the development costs?

I'm not sure why would Saudis do something like that when they can simply buy finished aircraft later as they did OTL?

abc123

Banned
it is possible that they would but why would they the typhoon gave the Germans part of the work share.

I'm pretty sure that for pretty big order ( after all Germany did order 180 Typhoons, so somewhere the same numbers ) LM would be willing to have licence production ( or at least assembly ) of F-16 in Germany.

I'm pretty sure that for pretty big order ( after all Germany did order 180 Typhoons, so somewhere the same numbers ) LM would be willing to have licence production ( or at least assembly ) of F-16 in Germany.

Germany originally ordered 250 Typhoons.

abc123

Banned
Nor do I, I just wondered if anyone else could think of a reason for them to get involved.

Well, it seems that the Saudis were pretty intrested in technology transfer ( assembling the aircrafts in KSA ) so if UK/SPA/ITA offer them that, than maybe...

The Saudis would rather buy weapons than build them and if they did where are they going to build the factories and the runway the live in the middle of a FREAKING DESERT so no they would not go in with the build program.

NothingNow

Banned
And if Germany quits, what would they do? Buy F-16 from USA instead?

Possibly. If they don't go for F/A-18s, F-15Es, Rafales or Gripens, or the Tornado ADV.

It's not like the F-16 was really tapped out as a design in the early 90's. A Block 50/52+ Falcon would still be reasonably competitive till the Mid 2020's, and longer if it received further updates.
Meanwhile, the Gripen is small, cheap to operate, and pretty much everything the Luftwaffe was looking for, and could reasonably acquire under a situation where Germany pulled out of the Eurofighter program, and the Tornado ADV has the whole benefit of being a cheaper, proven option that still provides local jobs.