WI: Albert Speer Seeks Rehabilitation

In OTL, Albert Speer (Hitler's architects and an important member of the Third Reich) was one of the very few Nazis who owned up to what he had done. After his release, he had talked of returning to his old job of architecture, but nothing ever came of it, and he spent his remaining life talking about the experience until he died at age 75 in 1981 in London.

Now, what would have been if Speer, knowing well of his past and truly wanting to change it all, came back out and became an architect again? Would it change anything? Could he build a monument to the people the Nazis killed? Maybe even gone to Israel at some point? His plans for Berlin would never be considered, but perhaps he might have something to allow him to be known for instead of just being one of Hitler's killers?

IMO

If he truly repented I think he would hang. He whitewashed a lot of his crimes, claiming to not be present at the Posen Conference (but some evidence suggests he was), plus how he used slave labor willingly to serve the Reich. From my limited reading, it seems Hitler wanted a loyal Nazi to run the economy (did Speer have any actual business experiance?). So in summary he either hangs at the Nuremberg trials, his sentence is commuted to life in prison, etc. I skimmed thru "Wages of Destruction" by Tooze for my thoughts; hopefully someone else with more knowledge answers.

Could he build a monument to the people the Nazis killed?
Considering that Speer -especially in his function as Minister for Armament and War Production, but even before that- was one of the main responsible authorities for constructing the KZ and Zwangsarbeiterlager infrastructure, this assumption is simply preposterous. That's almost as if a WW2-surviving Hitler travelled to Israel and apologised for his crimes in front of the Knesset.

Last edited:
In OTL, Albert Speer (Hitler's architects and an important member of the Third Reich) was one of the very few Nazis who owned up to what he had done.

He owned up to part of what he had done, and got away with the other crimes by pinning them on other Nazis, if there was any real justice he would have hanged alongside Goering and Keitel.