AHC: Spain and Portugal lose their islands

JJohnson

Banned
The challenge is, starting from 1740, have one or more of the following territories: Canary Islands, Azores, Madeira, Balearic Islands, Melilla, Ceuta, and Places of Sovereignty; become part of one or more of the following countries: United Kingdom, Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Italy, Austria, Greece.

The general flow of history occurs (US Revolution, French Revolution, US Civil War, 1848 revolutions). One or more World Wars may occur.

Mainly I'm wondering what could cause Spain and Portugal to lose those territories.

katchen

Banned
It's interesting that you exempted Brazil from this challenge. Portugal came fairly close to losing the Azores (and one would think by extension the Cape Verde, Madeira, Sao Tome and Princepe had Portugal and Spain allied or been forced into the Axis in 1941. The talk between Roosevelt and Churchill was of Brazil taking over those islands because the inhabitants of those islands are ethnically Portuguese and speak Portuguese and Brazil was an ally. But Brazil isn't part of the challenge.....

It's interesting that you exempted Brazil from this challenge. Portugal came fairly close to losing the Azores (and one would think by extension the Cape Verde, Madeira, Sao Tome and Princepe had Portugal and Spain allied or been forced into the Axis in 1941. The talk between Roosevelt and Churchill was of Brazil taking over those islands because the inhabitants of those islands are ethnically Portuguese and speak Portuguese and Brazil was an ally. But Brazil isn't part of the challenge.....

Do you have any source for this? I never found this information in any text about the Brazilian participation in WWII.

I dont think it entered into Brazilian 'participation'. Just like 'Plan Rubber' is usually left out to the descriptions of Brazil as a Allied nation. I have heard claims of this entering the Churchill/Roosevelt discussions, but am curious about a good source for it. Thanks.

The challenge is, starting from 1740, have one or more of the following territories: Canary Islands, Azores, Madeira, Balearic Islands, Melilla, Ceuta, and Places of Sovereignty; become part of one or more of the following countries: United Kingdom, Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Italy, Austria, Greece.

The general flow of history occurs (US Revolution, French Revolution, US Civil War, 1848 revolutions). One or more World Wars may occur.

Mainly I'm wondering what could cause Spain and Portugal to lose those territories.

Tough one. Your best bet is in the Napoleonic Wars and have the Iberian Kingdoms cede them to Britain alongside Gibraltar.

Another dynastic union of Spain and Portugal happens, but it works this time, leading to the formation of a country called the United Kingdom (of Iberia or something like that).

IIRC Britain administered Madeira for several years during the Napoleonic Wars. Maybe we could have arranged to keep it afterwards in exchange for gaining Portugal adequate compensation somewhere else?