Plausibility Check:Japanese invasion of Australia

Pretty much what it says on the tin.

If the Japanese had taken all of New Guinea or won at Coral Sea, would they have had the recourses to successfully take Australia? If that would they be able to hold it? I doubt they could keep it, the Aussies would take to the outback and disrupt them to no end.

Absolutely not. Seriously, take a look at a map of Australia. Japan might have been able to stage a landing at Darwin or somewhere else on the northern coast, but so what? Once there they have to make there way across a continental size mass of terrain before they can get anywhere close to the economic or political centers of mass. And that terrain is, in general, fairly challenging. Forget enemy action - just getting a division of troops across that area in fighting shape is a non-trivial exercise in logistics.

The other major question is "where are the resources for this enterprise going to come from"? Most of the Japanese army was engaged in holding down China. I'll let Carl or someone else talk about exactly how many divisions and how much ancillary equipment would be needed for this job, all I know is that it would be a lot. The forces that Japan committed to South and Southeast Asia were stretched to their limit as it was, I don't see how they can afford to take a swing at another continent as well. Maybe if they don't go after India they'd have enough spare, but going after Australia means their lines of supply and communication would also put pressure on their merchant shipping capacity to get across Torres Strait.

Finally, there's a greater strategic issue: what's the point? What would Imperial Japan gain by trying to take and hold Australia? I'm not saying there are no reasons for them to do so, I just can't work out why they'd do it instead of putting pressure on India, which is the jewel in the crown of the British empire.

Frankly, I don't think they have a chance of taking Australia, never mind holding it, and thats just from a logistics standpoint. But I'd be interested to hear what others have to say.

There is absolutely no way for it to happen, nor was there ever any serious consideration of it in the Imperial General Headquarters, not even during the headiest days of victory disease.

Japan doesn't have the logistical capability to do it. Australia is a huge desert. The IJA needs trucks there, and doesn't have them. At best they can establish beachheads, but they'll never get very far.

The Japanese experience in New Guinea in the first 3/4 of 1942, when they still had a semblance of naval superiority or parity is suggestive. The IJN was unable to provide adaquate cargo ship lift, and protect their cargo fleet. The March carrier raid by the USN that scattered one such supply convoy shows how vulnerable the Japanese supply was. Guadalcanal was the first location labeled "Starvation Island" by the Japanese soldiers. Australia might have 'Starvation Continent'.

The only way I see to even hope to have his happen is a pre-pearl harbor POD.

Indeed, and you need a POD a relatively long time before Pearl Harbor at that. Japan would have to devote resources, energy and money to developing the logistical capability and doctrine they lacked OTL. That is going to take time.

Japan certainly could threaten even the populated parts of Australia, but as other posters have pointed out this is exceedingly unlikely in the context of OTL WW2. That said they most certainly can take Darwin, and likewise cause trouble in the North East. If Port Moresby falls then Japan could certainly be a serious nuisance in North Eastern Australia.

The Japanese wrote it off as a worthless venture, which ought to give you an idea of how practical the idea would have been.

IIRC some IJN officers wanted to invade Australia, but Yamamoto and Tojo put aside their differences--which were huge--and said "No".

Exactly: the IJA knew they'd be going into a hostile country-where many folks had weapons and knew how to use them. Not to mention a shipping shortage, even at this early stage of the war. And the Naval General Staff was opposed: it would take 1.5 million tons of shipping, the bulk of the Combined Fleet, and no guarantee of success. The alternative was FS: A plan to take Fiji and Samoa and cut the shipping lanes from the U.S. West Coast to Australia. Only problem was: it was scheduled for July '42. A little thing called Midway got in the way, and the operation was cancelled.

Asia for the Asians was a major goal remember Australia is firmly European while countries such as Indonesia and Malaya arnt and have a chance of supporting the Japanese in the war effort.

I know it's a vary small reason but it is a factor to some Japanese at the time

katchen

Banned
I'm not sure how seriously the plan had been taken in Tokyo, but when I lived in Australia in the 90s, the Japanese battle plan that was being publicized in Australian newspapers involved an invasion of Perth from Djakarta to be followed by a landing near Adelaide. Then Melbourne and Tasmania. Then New Zealand. Finally Sydney and Brisbane.
The plan at least had relatively short logistical supply lines from territory already densely occupied by Japan (Java and Singapore). At least as far as Perth, which is relatively isolated from the rest of Australia. And I recall the news article saying that if Australia was to be conquered, that would probably be the way to go about doing it that had the greatest chance of success. :(

Riain

Banned
I once saw a scenario where the IJN sails coastal landing ships up the Roper River to Roper Bar and I think the Daly river on the other side of the top end to 'pinch off' the top end. But for the life of me have never been able to find it again.

If they did that they would hold what is akin to an island, but the southern approach being vast desert with zero development in 1942, instead of water.

When Australia was poorly defended (Dec 1941-Feb 1942) the Japanese had more urgent targets to take. What's the point in seizing in Australia if you fail to take the Dutch East Indies and run out of fuel three months into the war?

Feb 1942 onwards the the CMF numbered five infantry and two (horse) cavalry divisions (around 260,000 men under arms); two AIF divisions plus the remains of a third were back at home (another 40-50,000 men); the AIF 1st Armoured division was standing up and various yank forces had also arrived. Given Japanese sea-lift they'd be hard pressed to bring more than three divisons to the table, the chances of beating all allied troops in Australia were low. The possibility of a limited invasion (seize Darwin and hold the immediate hinterland) was still on the table.

Post-Coral Sea and Midway the Japanese fleet was too badly mauled to consider major offensive action.

Last edited:
It's not what you are looking for but you could get a Japanese invasion of Australia the same way you had a British invasion of the US in the mid 60's

An actual military operation, no for the reasons discussed above