Powerful UN

With a POD after 1945, what could be done to make the UN a powerful international body, even acting as a World Goverment?

USSR gets nuked to the hell in the fifties, the UN becomes an vehicle for American domination for a couple of decades before declining into irrelevance with the rise of other powers and the USA itself finding better tools.

The UN was built to mediate between great powers not be powerful in it's own right.

Ya. The US isnt going to give up power to any international body, unless they are sure they can control it. So, unless it's a body thats essentially a tool for american domination, or unless the us is totally crushed, its just not going to happen.

One nice idea would be to make any attack on UN forces result in an effective declaration of war on the UN member states, with the attacker being declared Hostis Humani Generis*. I do have a TL idea coming about this, though I'm not sure how to handle Korea (The USSR might pull out, but the PRC would go in anyway...) or Israel (I know the world would have to declare war after their killing of peacekeepers in the Sinai in 1967, but I'm not sure what would happen after the Israeli defeat by UN forces).

* Latin for "Enemy of All Mankind", historically used for pirates, and recently expanded to torturers. (Not valid in the USA.)

The Dag Hammarskjold POD is an oft repeated one, but I'm starting to think we assign him too much influence over the former UN policies of active international arbitration.

Sabot Cat

Banned
During the Soviet boycott of the United Nations in 1950, the Security Council votes unanimously to amend the United Nations Charter so that a veto is required to come from at least two members in order to be binding. The Soviet Union returns a bit later and campaigns harder for the People's Republic of China to gain the Republic of China's UNSC seat. The United Nations Command and the so-called 'United Nations Forces' become more permanent international fixtures as the United States, United Kingdom, France, and the Republic of China are able to overrule the USSR in most resolutions. Butterflies abound.

The Dag Hammarskjold POD is an oft repeated one, but I'm starting to think we assign him too much influence over the former UN policies of active international arbitration.

I personally agree but it is a good place to start discussion wise. Once we move part the UN savior idea, we may come to realize that to save the UN, it requires systemic changes and a different approach to the Cold War balance of power.

Maybe implausible but what if

US after bombing of Hiroshima, every nation is frightened with new weapon. Us also had interest to block every other nations nuclear weapon research...so
1. US transfer all nukes to UN mandate.
2. Every nuclear weapon will be researched and produced under UN.
3. Every nation is prohibited to research Nuclear Weapon. Researching Nuclear Weapon will result immediate military intervention from UN armed Force.

Will UN being sole possessor of Nuke and right to use make them more powerful and stronger?

Nuke is under UN means Rocket development will go under UN, subsequently all space vehicle will be owned by UN.

Could this work ?

There was Plan for U.N. controlled "Rheinland" way back in 1945
The idea: pull the Industrial base out German control, into hand of UN.
This Zone would produce goods under control and marketing by UN.
It would put UN on strong economic feet.

other suggestion
the U.N. Peace troops is formed like French Foreign Legion and is under UN. control.
equipped with stuff manufacture in U.N. "Rheinland"

contribution of Hardware to U.N. ?
would a nation like Great Britain offers there Blue Streak missile to UN, after GB abandon the program ?

During the Soviet boycott of the United Nations in 1950, the Security Council votes unanimously to amend the United Nations Charter so that a veto is required to come from at least two members in order to be binding. The Soviet Union returns a bit later and campaigns harder for the People's Republic of China to gain the Republic of China's UNSC seat. The United Nations Command and the so-called 'United Nations Forces' become more permanent international fixtures as the United States, United Kingdom, France, and the Republic of China are able to overrule the USSR in most resolutions. Butterflies abound.

I do like the cut of your jib.:)