An Englishman's Castle and It Happened Here

Of Course you all know about the SECOND. It's WI Germany invaded the UK(Sorry, Landshark and Ian Mongomerie). The First is occupied UK in the 60s(?) .It was shown on Public TV. I missed the last hour. What happened and what do you people think of BOTH of these? I need to know what happened in the first. :rolleyes: :cool:

I remember very little of AN ENGLISHMAN'S CASTLE. The title, by the by, is a nod to AN ENGLISHMAN'S HOME, a 1909 smash hit play about an invasion of England by forces meant to be German. Does it end up with the soap opera being used to give the signal for an uprising? IT HAPPENED HERE- Interesting, but amateur. Understandably so given that it was an amateur production made for virtually nothing. There's a book in the old CINEMA ONE series about how it was made that you might be able to dig up. It's by Kevin Brownlow who was one of the film makers. The best handling of this theme is THE OTHER MAN (1964). There was a novelised version by the scriptwriter, Giles Cooper. Set mainly in a British army unit in India. It's never resurfaced as far as I know. Perhaps difficulties about rights- it starred Michael Caine, made just before he became famous.

Vaguely remember 'An Englishman's Castle' It involved a TV guy who produced a soap opera set in 1940's UK. His problem was that his latest girlfriend had Jewish blood ( I think). Britain was supposedly independent - I remember a line about how the leadership succession in Berlin was of no real matter to the UK (well, that is what we tell them anyway). Anyhow, he finds out that his programme is to be used to launch the revolution and with a suddenly discovered conscience (courtesy of girlfriend) breaks into the show and give the message himself - a line from Purcell - "Britons, Strike Home" It ends with him sitting back smiling and sirens going.

OK - maybe not so vague but I don't guarantee any of the above is 100% accurate

Found reference to An Englishman's Castle while searching for some material for a short story. Anyone have more information than what little IMDB had?

This sounds a lot like the plot of Turtledoves "Ruled Britannia" just substitute Spain for Germany and Shakespeare for the TV writer.