First time poster - AH novel coming out.

Hello there - this is my first post here and I'm not even sure if this is the right place, so apologies if I've made a mistake.

Great forum - I've been a big fan of alt-history fiction since reading Pavane by Keith Roberts as a young teen and this really does seem the most active, comprehensive forum on the web for it.

I hope this doesn't sound crass, given that this is my first post, but I have been fortunate enough to secure a publishing deal for my first novel - an alternate history adventure set in 12th century Britain.

Would it be permissible to post some details here, probably in the upcoming AH thread, once I get covers and dates confirmed? - I don't know what the etiquette is on posting about your own work in that thread.

Also, I wanted to pick the brains of anyone who has been published with a smaller publishing house - most of the marketing will have to be done by me - I currently have no agent, no fanbase - apart from my wife and my daughters, and two of those cannot read, and next to no funds (due mostly to the aforementioned fanbase).

Has anyone got any advice on how to get known for what is, relatively, a fairly niche market? I've set up a twitter,facebook and wordpress based website. Am going to contact local papers and bookshops - much of the action takes place around the region in which I live, so there is a local interest angle there.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thande

Donor
Welcome to the board. Feel free to post the kinds of details you describe above. We do have a few people on here with some of the experience you're talking about.